News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Maybe after all we didn't sign Greening? Could be a right result as I thought WB

Started by NorthernWhite, May 28, 2010, 11:02:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NorthernWhite

JONATHAN Greening wants to sit down with Roy Hodgson and discuss a permanent move to Fulham.

The 31-year-old is due to return to West Brom following a season-long loan from the Hawthorns, although the Whites do have an option to keep him at Craven Cottage.

And the former Manchester United midfielder has given the green light to stay in SW6 – if he's wanted.

He said: "I've really enjoyed this season at Fulham, and it's up to the manager and the club now to sort out if they want me to stay.

I'm really happy here, it's been a great year. To finish 12th in the best league in the world and reach the Europa League final has been brilliant."

Greening made just 15 starts in the Premier League for Fulham last season, but did feature heavily in their run to the Europa League final.

He admits he would have more chance of regular first-team football in the Midlands, but would rather battle it out with Danny Murphy and Dickson Etuhu for a slot in the Whites engine room.

"At West Brom I was playing every game," he added.

"You get used to playing week in, week out and when you haven't played for three or four weeks it's hard to come back in and play as well as you usually can do.

"It's an option to go back there as I have a year left on my contract, but I want to stay at Fulham. We said we'll speak after the Europa League final."

Lighthouse

So should he stay or go? I don't think he has done enough to warrant a contract at Fulham. We need central midfield players but is he the one? He played one good game and that was when he played as a wide player. So should he stay or should he go?
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

White Noise

I'm not buying it. I think its all posturing to make it looks like it was a loan all along. I reckon the story about him signing a 3 year contract is true -

http://www.friendsoffulham.com/forum/index.php?topic=1058.0

epsomraver

Basic squad player at best, i would think best Fulham will offer is a 1 year contract

NorthernWhite

Quote from: Lighthouse on May 28, 2010, 11:05:27 AM
So should he stay or go? I don't think he has done enough to warrant a contract at Fulham. We need central midfield players but is he the one? He played one good game and that was when he played as a wide player. So should he stay or should he go?

A definate no for me. I was expecting more from him and I've not been so nervous about a Fulham player making a tackle since Terry Hurlock. He always seems one tackle from a red card.

The fee mooted at the time was around 5 million as WBA had already turned down 4.5 for him. I'd much rather spend the money on a younger CM like O'Hara or Sidwell who we've been linked with. At 31, he's certainly not going to get any better.

To be honest, I thought it was a done deal and we were stuck with him so this could be good news and we can spend that money else where.

epsomraver

Quote from: White Noise on May 28, 2010, 11:06:52 AM
I'm not buying it. I think its all posturing to make it looks like it was a loan all along. I reckon the story about him signing a 3 year contract is true -

http://www.friendsoffulham.com/forum/index.php?topic=1058.0
As you said previously why was it only the Scarborough news that reported it? I think the loan story is the true one

Huge

Its also a No from me, his tackling is frightening and gives free kicks to the opponants far too often for my liking. He can bounce back to brom
The Dude abides

Rambling_Syd_Rumpo

he does try but you can't say he had a good game for us,ok yes,but not good,Thankyou Jesus but goodbye :clap_hands:

TonyGilroy

I think he's been fine and the results when he plays have generally been good.

He fits in anywhere in midfield and the overall team performance doesn't suffer. Having said that I agree that he's never looked better than OK but perhaps that's acceptable for a squad player.

LBNo11

...if we can buy him for £2 million tops, as a squad cover player then maybe, but I have seen nothing about him that makes me think he is worth over that sum.

One thing for sure, if we do sign him on a permanent deal, you can kiss goodbye to any fair play awards, he learned ankle taps from Boadicea..!
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

TonyGilroy

£2M is about twice the average lifetime earnings.

Add annual wages of the equivalent to said lifetime income and that appears to what you'd be prepared to pay for a run of the mill Premier League player.

Probably not enough of course but increase by a further 50% and a deal might be possible.

Utter madness.

leonffc

Nope. If he's a squad player, why not get a younger player in with a bit more about him that can learn and take the reigns off Murphy when the inevitable happens

HatterDon

I'm with Mr. Gilroy. I thought most of the trashing he received here and elsewhere was over the top. I think we sign him and see his improvement next season. After all, look at what happened to Baird, Gera, and Zamora after 12 months of non-stop moaning. Jesus could be next.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Chopper

I can't imagine WBA would agree a deal that would allow us to decide if he wasn't good enough we could just let him go back to them. With no time left on his contract he either gets offered a new deal with West Brom or gets to walk on free. Seems crazy. I'd assumed we'd definitely owe them money one way or another. I reckon we might as well keep him on, he's a capable (if not exciting) player and could do a Zoltan or a Zamora in his second season.
Sold my soul to the Green Pole

Tom

I thought he signed a 3 year deal during the season. If he didn't, let him go Roy!
Fulham for life!