more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

What else would you like to see on FOF?

Started by Admin, April 15, 2014, 07:09:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FFCAli

Quote from: FortCollinsFulham on April 17, 2014, 09:48:22 AM
Getting rid of the "there's been X amount of new posts since blah blah" thing that comes up if you post something in a busy thread and someone else has posted.

That would be grand.
:plus one:

LBNo11

...I see Admin's latest request to join the Diplomatic Corps has been turned down again!
Wimbledon White, you have mentioned the moderation issue before, and as I mentioned you have the choice of different Fulham forums to choose from, they all have their own styles and if you want something less vanilla and stifling there are other places to look st/contribute to.

Meanwhile the reputation of the site continues to bring in new members, nobody forces them, it's down to different strokes for different folks...

Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

HillFace

Don't know how doable it is, but a chat room when the games are live would be excellent. As someone who is beleagured up in bonny ol' Glasgow and usually stuck in work during the games, it'd be great to keep up to date with such a level-headed bunch of so & so's like yourself.
The above may be nonsense

WhiteJC

Quote from: HillFace on April 17, 2014, 12:33:59 PM
Don't know how doable it is, but a chat room when the games are live would be excellent. As someone who is beleagured up in bonny ol' Glasgow and usually stuck in work during the games, it'd be great to keep up to date with such a level-headed bunch of so & so's like yourself.

we did have a cut room at one point however, there were several 'technical' issues, such as dropping people out in the middle of a game. I'll have a look at the latest version of the chat room and see if its more stable

WhiteJC

Quote from: FortCollinsFulham on April 17, 2014, 09:48:22 AM
Getting rid of the "there's been X amount of new posts since blah blah" thing that comes up if you post something in a busy thread and someone else has posted.

That would be grand.

this is a standard 'feature' of the message board software, I'll see if it can be disabled

WhiteJC

Quote from: SKSW6 on April 15, 2014, 09:06:36 PM
I know you can use the "img" "/img" in brackets or whatever it is with the image URL within, but an easier way to post pictures would be good if possible.

this also is a 'feature' of the mb software, I'll have a look to see if any improvements or different utilities are available

Neil D

How about a British English spellchecker rather than an American English one or is that down to my technical incompetence?  If so, please illuminate me...

Wimbledon_White

Quote from: Admin on April 17, 2014, 09:21:54 AM
Quote from: Wimbledon_White on April 17, 2014, 08:21:10 AM
More moderate moderation.
Stop stifling genuine debate.
This forum is far too vanilla in my opinion.

If you don't like it, sling your hook over to Cottage Corner, don't know how else to put it really.

So I criticise the moderation of this forum in a calm, polite(ish) manner and the response from two moderators is to go elsewhere. Wow - how utterly appalling.

I thought this was meant to be an "inclusive" forum for all Fulham fans. I suppose the word "stifling" has something of an accusatory tone about it but it's hardly that bad. I am surprised that two moderators of a forum which prides itself on being inclusive would be so dismissive of genuine and relevant criticism.

As it happens Mr. Admin, I read and post on most Fulham forums. I post occasionally on FoF and Cottage Corner and read Viva El Fulham (when on the rare occasion there is something worth reading).
I find FoF to be the best for Fulham news. Cottage Corner is the most amusing, though incredibly juvenile and the American WUMs do my head in like nobody's business.

Going back to my original post however, I find the moderation of this forum to be OTT and what's more I find the rude responses I have had from them (well just the one actually) to be entirely unnecessary.

For example, when another poster (not me) questioned the number of adverts on here I was sent a downright obnoxious private message telling me to mind my own business purely because I expressed surprise that the thread was closed. It was entirely uncalled for. I had not mentioned the ads whatsoever, just that I was surprised the moderators would act so defensively to the criticism of the adverts they, no doubt, were party to.

I hope this criticism is taken on board finally.

Anyway, I will continue to enjoy reading, and occasionally posting, on Friends of Fulham....unless of course this post will get me banned...which wouldn't surprise me one iota frankly.

All the best.

Wimbledon_White

In the interests of fairness, I have just re-read the "obnoxious" private message and I am being unfair to call it obnoxious.

It wasn't obnoxious, that's the wrong word for it. It was brusque at worst.

Craven Mad

Quote from: Wimbledon_White on April 17, 2014, 01:59:15 PM

If you don't like it, sling your hook over to Cottage Corner, don't know how else to put it really.

So I criticise the moderation of this forum in a calm, polite(ish) manner and the response from two moderators is to go elsewhere. Wow - how utterly appalling.

I thought this was meant to be an "inclusive" forum for all Fulham fans. I suppose the word "stifling" has something of an accusatory tone about it but it's hardly that bad. I am surprised that two moderators of a forum which prides itself on being inclusive would be so dismissive of genuine and relevant criticism.

As it happens Mr. Admin, I read and post on most Fulham forums. I post occasionally on FoF and Cottage Corner and read Viva El Fulham (when on the rare occasion there is something worth reading).
I find FoF to be the best for Fulham news. Cottage Corner is the most amusing, though incredibly juvenile and the American WUMs do my head in like nobody's business.

Going back to my original post however, I find the moderation of this forum to be OTT and what's more I find the rude responses I have had from them (well just the one actually) to be entirely unnecessary.

For example, when another poster (not me) questioned the number of adverts on here I was sent a downright obnoxious private message telling me to mind my own business purely because I expressed surprise that the thread was closed. It was entirely uncalled for. I had not mentioned the ads whatsoever, just that I was surprised the moderators would act so defensively to the criticism of the adverts they, no doubt, were party to.

Anyway, I will continue to enjoy reading, and occasionally posting, on Friends of Fulham....unless of course this post will get me banned...which wouldn't surprise me one iota frankly.

All the best.

I understand where you're coming from but - ultimately - it's their house, their rules.. The mods all put in time and effort into maintaining the board that they've made, keeping it to the rules they've set.

If you don't like it you could always try to make your own website, pay for it to be hosted and registered, code it, improve it, maintain it etc etc, then you may be able to have the exact forum you want. But, here, we all benefit from a free service that is entertaining, interesting and all about our team.

As you can see on this thread, some people want less moderation, others are happy, others want more. The mods don't have an easy task, but they have every right to do it how they want. Just try to put yourself in their shoes..

Sorry if this causes any offence.

Admin

Quote from: Wimbledon_White on April 17, 2014, 01:59:15 PM

All the best.

Wimbledone_White, unfortunately you're an exception to the rule, and without sounding to obnoxious myself, anything you say or do, won't be taken on board, by me anyway. I don't like your attitude, never have, and you're a typical poster who is always looking to go against the grain, what ever rules are in place. I just feel that Cottage Corner would suit you a lot better, but if you continue to disrupt this thread any further then yes, I will ban you.  

BestOfBrede

Quote from: King_Crud on April 17, 2014, 09:38:50 AM
Quote from: Craven Mad on April 16, 2014, 12:14:28 PM
The board is great, I'm only making suggestions to try and give some constructive points - feel free to ignore them!

I, personally, would love to see more dedicated threads being organised. E.g. on other message boards I've seen them use the title as just a player's name (e.g. "Holtby") and everything about him is discussed in that one location, regardless of how old the original post was. This is done for most threads - e.g. "Felix", "Remaining Fixtures", "Kahn", "Stadium Expansion", etc, etc.

The board is often hard to read because there are so many similar and short threads, I think that it would be easier to read, and would harbour better discussion, if there were fewer, but more detailed threads.

Also, I like the match day threads (as it achieves much of what I've requested above), but it's a bit of a hassle heading over there each time; would it be possible to have a sticky link at the top of the General Discussion board to get people there faster?

I agree with this completely. Too many threads on "Here's what I think is wrong" or "my thoughts on blah blah blah". If you had a thread on pre-game discussion, post game discussion, team formation discussion, Felix discussion etc etc then it would get some more order, threads wouldn't get lost, and the board wouldn't be full of threads on the same subject that get half a dozen responses. Also you can have NFR threads like the music thread, the movie thread etc
Yeah, I like this too. But, it would need to open on the latest day's post each time or it would become a real annoyance clicking through to find where you left off reading a certain thread to check on updates. Particularly if the thread has been ongoing for an age.

FFCAli

Quote from: BestOfBrede on April 17, 2014, 03:44:14 PM
Quote from: King_Crud on April 17, 2014, 09:38:50 AM
Quote from: Craven Mad on April 16, 2014, 12:14:28 PM
The board is great, I'm only making suggestions to try and give some constructive points - feel free to ignore them!

I, personally, would love to see more dedicated threads being organised. E.g. on other message boards I've seen them use the title as just a player's name (e.g. "Holtby") and everything about him is discussed in that one location, regardless of how old the original post was. This is done for most threads - e.g. "Felix", "Remaining Fixtures", "Kahn", "Stadium Expansion", etc, etc.

The board is often hard to read because there are so many similar and short threads, I think that it would be easier to read, and would harbour better discussion, if there were fewer, but more detailed threads.

Also, I like the match day threads (as it achieves much of what I've requested above), but it's a bit of a hassle heading over there each time; would it be possible to have a sticky link at the top of the General Discussion board to get people there faster?

I agree with this completely. Too many threads on "Here's what I think is wrong" or "my thoughts on blah blah blah". If you had a thread on pre-game discussion, post game discussion, team formation discussion, Felix discussion etc etc then it would get some more order, threads wouldn't get lost, and the board wouldn't be full of threads on the same subject that get half a dozen responses. Also you can have NFR threads like the music thread, the movie thread etc
Yeah, I like this too. But, it would need to open on the latest day's post each time or it would become a real annoyance clicking through to find where you left off reading a certain thread to check on updates. Particularly if the thread has been ongoing for an age.
Just click on "new" and it'll take you to where you left off 049:gif

YankeeJim

More moderate moderation.Stop stifling genuine debate.

That would be a no.
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

Forever Fulham

OK, I can see how posting highlight footage on Match Day threads--footage created by third parties--can be a copyright violation.  Short 10-second culled bits could probably pass muster as Fair Use under U.S. copyright laws, but I don't know about English copyright law without researching it.  Hard to imagine the rights holder would stoop to conquer by writing a cease and desist letter to a fan forum.  But I've seen far pettier acts, so, maybe...  But if the club is filming, perhaps it would agree to send over some choice segments for its #1 fan board? 

Holders

Quote from: Neil D on April 17, 2014, 01:55:16 PM
How about a British English spellchecker rather than an American English one or is that down to my technical incompetence?  If so, please illuminate me...

Hear hear!

I can understand transatlantic posters using their variants but to see obviously English people using US spellings for whatever reason (because it's "trendy" - or they just don't know when the spelling is wrong) is just weird.

I accept that eventually Microsoft's influence will have changed standard English spellings to US but it's not yet the case - officially.

It's like going to a German-speaking country and the hotel receptionist directs one in "English" to the "elevator" when the German for lift is just that - lift - and it even says that on the wall over the wretched thing!
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Deanothefulhamfan

Nice suggestions guys, keep them coming.... I am sure this will be discussed collectively at some point, so if you think of any other idea's please post them in this thread.

Wimbeldon white - We have set guidelines in place, and when we see a member breaking these rules we step in, I like to think of this site, as a very friendly place to post, which is welcomed by all ages, gender and ethnicity ... A place where new and old members, feel comfortable to post without the risk of being hounded or abused. We only moderate post's where we think they are breaking the rules, or causing a potential libel threat.
In your opinion it may be better if we did less moderation, but if we did than FOF would become unrecognizable to the set standards we have in place, that is why there is a clear guidelines to posting section. My argument would be that if posters followed these rules then we would not have to do so much moderating.

Shredhead

An easy way to get to the General Discussion forum after reading 'New replies to topics you've posted in', please.
Ta.
Also occasionally on Twitter @shredheadFFC

Burt

Well I think this place is appropriately moderated, and I am not biased in the slightest.

:dft011:

Seriously, there are forums for all flavours even in the Fulham family, so to Admin's point if people are expecting a site where in addition to talking about our beloved club they can swear, trade insults, be juvenile, make contentious posts, belittle others, make libellous comments, talk about the English Defence League, be mysognistic, etc. etc. then this probably isn't the place.

I've got man flu, so hopefully that came across as I intended it to. Apologies if not!