more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

What else would you like to see on FOF?

Started by Admin, April 15, 2014, 07:09:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Burt

Keep the comments coming...

Any thoughts around colour, look and feel as well as features and functionality?

TonyGilroy

My view is that the moderators can have whatever type of board they like. I don't want to run it so I'll abide by their rules and not create waves but if they invite suggestions then surely ANY observation is fair comment whether or not suggestions are accepted.

I'd tentatively suggest that the rules on language are 50 years out of date and I speak as a 63 year old father of three daughters.

bog

The final league table for the season 14/15 with us on top and Chelsea bottom....

092.gif

King_Crud

regarding people wanting different background colours, can we have options? The dull grey one suits my viewing at work, I don't attention drawn to my screen when I on here

Craven Mad

Quote from: Burt on April 18, 2014, 09:42:26 AM

Any thoughts around colour, look and feel as well as features and functionality?

Regarding appearance, I always like boards that have an image as the background and the discussion floated in front. Here's an example from a random forum: http://www.totalfootballforums.com/forums/forum/9-english-premier-league/

It does feel a little "Windows '95" on here with the straight lines and different shades of grey. A modernisation of the look of the board would be very appreciated! I don't know how hard it would be to do, but maybe a photo of the stadium (possibly in B&W?) with the text boxes slightly more rounded and white in front would be nice?

fulhams_finest

Admin

Quote from: fulhams_finest on April 18, 2014, 11:31:08 AM
freedom of speech?

Yes, because the aim is to allow this forum to go the exact same way as the Offal...

There are limits when it comes to freedom of speech, and I believe that we have the balance just about right on FOF. 

chiefo

]Ok my tuppence worth. How about title threads / sub headings along the lines of:

Fulham chat,

As title says, all things Fulham with sub threads
Match day ( I know its already there, just for this idea )The Tony Gale column, Motspur Park, David Stockdale, Felix, etc for example) Anything relating to said sub headings remain here.

English Premier League

World Football

Other Sports

Fulham pub section or The Green Pole Pub

Anything not related to Fulham FC, Example, Whats your favourite movie,  gif of the day, ( if you know how to load them, some are hilarious, some are frightening. Or anything you wish to start basically. Images, non too explicit of course and so on.
Not safe for work (NSFW)thread?

IT help, be it hardware or software.

Mobile phone help, such as reviews or recommendations, personal views only.

I feel if we had such sub heading this would reduce a lot of duplication. As has already been pointed out it can be frustrating to see 2 or 3 threads on the same topic.

In suggesting all the above i would imagine it would take a lot of work from the moderators to implement such a system, but like I said its only my tuppence worth.

chiefo

Oh, and if you want to really throw the cat amongst the pigeons how about a Politics thread....? 086.gif

MJG

Quote from: chiefo on April 18, 2014, 05:18:49 PM
]Ok my tuppence worth. How about title threads / sub headings along the lines of:

Fulham chat,

As title says, all things Fulham with sub threads
Match day ( I know its already there, just for this idea )The Tony Gale column, Motspur Park, David Stockdale, Felix, etc for example) Anything relating to said sub headings remain here.

English Premier League

World Football

Other Sports

Fulham pub section or The Green Pole Pub

Anything not related to Fulham FC, Example, Whats your favourite movie,  gif of the day, ( if you know how to load them, some are hilarious, some are frightening. Or anything you wish to start basically. Images, non too explicit of course and so on.
Not safe for work (NSFW)thread?

IT help, be it hardware or software.

Mobile phone help, such as reviews or recommendations, personal views only.

I feel if we had such sub heading this would reduce a lot of duplication. As has already been pointed out it can be frustrating to see 2 or 3 threads on the same topic.

In suggesting all the above i would imagine it would take a lot of work from the moderators to implement such a system, but like I said its only my tuppence worth.
for the site to stay primarily as a forum one the the above suggestions would be the way to go.
Need to separate the different interests.

IF the idea is that this a meeting area/pub then I still think politics should be allowed...although only in its right section. Just as discussions on movies, TVs, women over forty should be in their own areas away from fulham related threads.

bucksfulham

Quote from: Shredhead on April 18, 2014, 09:36:52 AM
An easy way to get to the General Discussion forum after reading 'New replies to topics you've posted in', please.
Ta.
There already is one. Click on "general discussion" in the text just below the ads at the top of the page.

Holders

Quote from: Burt on April 18, 2014, 09:42:26 AM

I'm very happy with the colour, feel and layout (and the moderation, for that matter. It's certainly a nicer place than the old "Offal" used to be).

I don't think that going gaudier would improve it at all. My view.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Arthur

Quote from: TonyGilroy on April 18, 2014, 09:47:35 AM
My view is that the moderators can have whatever type of board they like. I don't want to run it so I'll abide by their rules and not create waves but if they invite suggestions then surely ANY observation is fair comment whether or not suggestions are accepted.

Well-put. I agree.

WW's suggestion may not be popular; nor may it be a suggestion that the moderators are prepared to consider - less still implement. Yet neither the suggestion itself, nor the manner in which it was suggested, are offensive. To threaten to ban WW if he posts again regarding his suggestion is, in my opinion, heavy-handed.

In fairness, I agree that Admin can do exactly as he chooses; irrespective of the rules, it is his site. Every time, however, that this particular 'card' is played, it surely has an impact beyond the person at whom it is directed. In any society - even one as loosely-bound as this forum - it helps if those who enforce the rules have the tolerance to do so justly. (When the policeman 'duffs up' the harmless dissenter, even non-dissenters will feel a sense of uneasiness. This is, of course, a melodramatic example, but it serves to illustrate my point.)

(For this - aired without malice and as politely as I can find the words to express - I know that I, too, may receive a post similar to WW's or, indeed, a ban. Que sera sera.)

HatterDon

Quote from: Holders on April 18, 2014, 07:00:07 AM
Quote from: Neil D on April 17, 2014, 01:55:16 PM
How about a British English spellchecker rather than an American English one or is that down to my technical incompetence?  If so, please illuminate me...

Hear hear!

I can understand transatlantic posters using their variants but to see obviously English people using US spellings for whatever reason (because it's "trendy" - or they just don't know when the spelling is wrong) is just weird.

I accept that eventually Microsoft's influence will have changed standard English spellings to US but it's not yet the case - officially.

It's like going to a German-speaking country and the hotel receptionist directs one in "English" to the "elevator" when the German for lift is just that - lift - and it even says that on the wall over the wretched thing!

Wait! What? English people spell words correctly?   :Get Coat gif:
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

The Rock

I sort of see this sort of mentioned, but what about a persistent group chat? I remember there was sort of one on match days - but what about in general for anyone that's online they can pop in the room and have a live chat? I always liked that as I don't get to a bunch of games, but know a bunch of people on here and like being in touch.

Count Berbatov

I would love there to be a dedicated Fulham related forum and another one for everything else. Be it random chat, other teams, political or tech or whatever else. Each sub forum, could have their sticky s and go from there. I feel like I get in some people's way when I talk about other teams, players or sports, on this Fulham forum.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
Berbatov has Cantona's knack of being the man amid a stampede towards the door who stops to notice a side exit that nobody else has seen.

Jonathan Northcroft on Berbatov:  "...like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons from a deckchair"

hovewhite

Think the match tickets sell,buy ,general info opic is a good idea,also a fulham image background would be nice.

HatterDon

Quote from: Count Berbatov on April 18, 2014, 08:13:39 PM
I would love there to be a dedicated Fulham related forum and another one for everything else. Be it random chat, other teams, political or tech or whatever else. Each sub forum, could have their sticky s and go from there. I feel like I get in some people's way when I talk about other teams, players or sports, on this Fulham forum.

The problem with this is that so much of the cat about other players, teams is related to upcoming opponents or potential transfers, etc.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Count Berbatov

Quote from: HatterDon on April 18, 2014, 09:53:58 PM

The problem with this is that so much of the cat about other players, teams is related to upcoming opponents or potential transfers, etc.
Well, that would be Fulham related. I was talking more about other topics, like Android v Apple, other sports etc. Basically anything that requires NFR in the title. Transfers, teams Fulham play, players connection belong to the Fulham one, is how I see it

Berbatov has Cantona's knack of being the man amid a stampede towards the door who stops to notice a side exit that nobody else has seen.

Jonathan Northcroft on Berbatov:  "...like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons from a deckchair"

Logicalman

Quote from: Count Berbatov on April 18, 2014, 10:13:15 PM
Quote from: HatterDon on April 18, 2014, 09:53:58 PM

Well, that would be Fulham related. I was talking more about other topics, like Android v Apple, other sports etc. Basically anything that requires NFR in the title. Transfers, teams Fulham play, players connection belong to the Fulham one, is how I see it

That's basically what the Exiles forum is for.
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.