As it is now - Goal Decision System
13 (36.1%)
Video replays
17 (47.2%)
5th and 6th officials
3 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 34

Rhys Lightning 63

So basically, I'm doing my dissertation about 'technology and its influence on decision making'. I'm in the process of finishing up now, having asked journalists, players and referees their view, but there's just one demographic I haven't catered for... THE FANS.

So if you could just click on the option that you would much rather have to help/hinder referees, then that would be grand.

P.S - As a way to get more people to take part. For every 25 people that submit a vote, I shall donate £5 to the running of this website, so get voting
@MattRhys63 - be warned, there will be a lot of nonsense

Rhys Lightning 63

Oooh actually, while we're here. If you could leave a quick sentence as to why you chose your vote, that would be marvellous

Artful Dodger

Video replays should be introduced for offside as well as for goal line technology. Clear offsides shouldn't influence games! Not sure it would work for free kicks etc as even replays aren't always conclusive.
Faber est suae quisque fortunae

HatterDon

Video replays are a bad idea for two reasons:

1. they interrupt the flow of the game
2. they encourage refs to NOT make the tough calls

Players aren't perfect, neither are managers, and certainly the supporters aren't. Why do we demand that refs be perfect?
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

YoungsBitter

I would like to see a limited video replay, eg the team being limited to 1 or 2 video replay challenges or the 4th official having the ability to see video replay and answer question by referee, answer question only not make the judgement "did player X handle the ball?" " was player Y hit by player Z". The problem is the fear of the loss of flow to the game with the former and the problem with the latter is that the Managers and staff look over the shoulder of 4th official when they have had it and then cause issues. The need for review should only be for game changing issues, ie the seriousness in terms of impact on the game is paramount - goal disallowed, player sent off issues only.
Quark, strangeness and charm

DukeTyrion

I voted for Video replays, but only for decisions inside the penalty area.

Artful Dodger

Quote from: HatterDon on April 17, 2014, 09:16:24 PM
Video replays are a bad idea for two reasons:

1. they interrupt the flow of the game
2. they encourage refs to NOT make the tough calls

Players aren't perfect, neither are managers, and certainly the supporters aren't. Why do we demand that refs be perfect?

Surely allowing instant replays for certain decisions means we accept that refs aren't perfect and this  is helping them out. I do agree though that the ref / lino is likely to not make a call, see how play develops and then 'go upstairs' if a goal is scored for example.
Faber est suae quisque fortunae

MayoDomo

As it is now - Goal Decision System

I think the parameters are maximum technology as well as the game never stopping.  The system now theoretically will get every decision correctly and the game will never stop. 
For Fulham News, Opinions, and Streaming Updates Follow me at https://twitter.com/MayoDomo!

Craven Mad

Video, for me.

Yes, it may slow down play. However, I'd rather a slow but correct decision than a fast but incorrect one. It should be like a cross of Rugby replays and Hawkeye in Tennis; each team gets 3 challenges and they lose one if they challenge incorrectly, plus the ref should be able to call for video support if they do not feel capable of making a correct call at that moment.

I think it'd end much of the feeling of being 'cheated' by the refs, would stop refs being crucified for missing a split-second incident that is then dissected for an hour in slo-mo post game, and could help stop diving etc (player goes down in the area calling for a pen. Ref consults video. If it's a foul, pen. If it's a dive, yellow card. Simples).

I personally think that the positives far outweigh the negatives.

tslyon

As it is now.  There needs to be some flow to the game and the spirit of the game is made by humans.  Yes, there will be mistakes, but in life there always are.  So, allow the ref to get some help when making calls on goals, but let humanity rule the rest of it... 

ScalleysDad

Having done the courses and been there done that I voted for as is plus goal line technology. If there was a box for The FA clamping down on player theatrics and retrospective punishment for players who had conned an official my vote would have gone there.

Good luck with the diss.

Burt

Video replays.

Near instantaneous playback from multiple vantage points is nothing new now, so it wouldn't be too disruptive on the flow of the game etc. it may discourage bad practices like diving and help the ref make the right decisions.

Putney

5th & 6th officials

Power should be decentralised and games shouldn't be dictated by one person. This would reduce terrible decisions. Disagree with the counter argument that it would slow the game down. The ball is only in play on average 60 minutes a game anyway.

Arthur

I can envisage the possibility of video replays being used for a select group of circumstances in the future. For now, however, I was happy to vote for the retention of the Goal Decision System.

In my view, the weakness in the argument for the video replay is the suggestion that it will resolve all arguments as to what the decision ought to be. Doubtless, on occasions, it will. Often, however, the video referee's opinion will be just that: an opinion.

A recent example: the second penalty awarded to Liverpool in the game at Upton Park; Allardyce was adamant the referee made a mistake: Rodgers, convinced he'd got it right. I saw a few posts on here disputing the decision. Had I been the video referee, I would have awarded a penalty. Here - and in numerous similar contentious instances - a video replay would do nothing to settle the issue conclusively. The 'correct' decision is not always black and white; much of the time, it's a case of interpreting whether it's a lighter or darker shade of grey.

Southcoastffc

I know this is an old-fashioned view, but I stick by it.  092.gif  Technology does not eliminate arguments - viz our goal/no goal against Villa a few weeks ago, which caused some to question the accuracy/reliability of the technology.  The reason there is an arbiter (referee, umpire, judge) is for an independent decision in cases of ambiguity and football would be all the better for the authorities to back the referee.  It does not matter - from a sporting point of view - if the referee makes wrong decisions,, it only matters if the referee is unfair.   The two are not necessarily the same.   049:gif 049:gif 049:gif 049:gif
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

Logicalman

The item regarding Video replays is ambiguous I feel.
Do you mean:
a. The ref can stop the game at any time to have the video reviewed to see if an offence was committed?
b. Video replays are only instigated once the play has been stopped by the ref?
c. Who can call for a video replay? Ref, linesmen, 4th Official, Managers?
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

Rhys Lightning 63

Quote from: Logicalman on April 18, 2014, 02:01:12 PM
The item regarding Video replays is ambiguous I feel.
Do you mean:
a. The ref can stop the game at any time to have the video reviewed to see if an offence was committed?
b. Video replays are only instigated once the play has been stopped by the ref?
c. Who can call for a video replay? Ref, linesmen, 4th Official, Managers?

Well once I've collected all the votes, I'll then analyse the comments and break them down

bobbo

049:gif

Because it happens really successfully in rugby despite the odd delay
1975 just leaving home full of hope

Holders

In my view, goal-line technology and radio communication between ref and linesmen is ok but I think it should stop there. I don't think that video replays are a good idea at all; football is played between two teams of fallible human beings refereed by another human being attempting to be as fair, objective and impartial as he can be.

To stop for video reviews on contentious decisions would over-mechanise the game and cause undue interruptions. These decisions are contentious by their nature after all and any such review would also lay them open to review and pressure by the crowd. It's meant to be objective, not subject to pressure. For that reason, I don't think that video screens at grounds should show replays of contentious points in the game that can show if a ref got it wrong.

Football is an art not a science and luck and humanity have a part to play; over-mechanisation would spoil it - in my view.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

FPT

As it is now.

We can't keep changing football. Although something that no one has seemed to say, the goal line decision system is 3cm +/- accurate... Three times I recall that that's the possible distance, Norwich, Everton and Villa

If we introduce replays, do we use them whenever the referee, doesn't know? What's it for? Tackles? Offsides? Penalties?

It would be bizarre to watch. And it would slow the game down, there would be endless added time because the referee would need to watch the replay a load of times from different angles, this could take 2-3 or even 4-5 minutes, yep... Great viewing.

Leave it how it is, leave football as football.