Started by AmericanJames, June 06, 2010, 08:03:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AmericanJames

We are under a week away from the next great upset of the British Isles
There is precedent
But hey either way it should be a good game
Some people are literally too stupid to insult

Edwatch_Winston_Malone

Enjoy this week as next week won't be so enjoyable for you...

Rambling_Syd_Rumpo

Quote from: Rambling_Syd_Rumpo on June 06, 2010, 09:24:47 AM
Quote from: AmericanJames on June 06, 2010, 08:03:42 AM

There is precedent

Don't give the anti yank mob any amunition feller,it's a game with 2 teams and the yanks have a chance,in my eyes your defence is supect,and your biggest weakness,you've got a good midfield and a couple of quick strikers with a solid goalkeeper but that defence are in for a torrid time I'm afraid :dft012: :59:
o and as your quoting dates ie 1812 I've found this on an American history website:-

Weary of futile warfare, both sides signed the Treaty of Ghent in Belgium on Dec. 24, 1814, restoring prewar conditions. This settlement forestalled a New England separatist movement, proposed at the Hartford Convention (December 1814-January 1815) in response to the extremely unpopular war. Though the U.S. gained none of its avowed aims,POPULAR LEGEND SOON CONVERTED DEFEAT INTO THE ILLUSION OF VICTORY.-just because somebody makes a TV programe showing one point of view doesn't make it true! 

Logicalman

Quote from: Rambling_Syd_Rumpo on June 06, 2010, 09:41:51 AM
Quote from: Rambling_Syd_Rumpo on June 06, 2010, 09:24:47 AM
Quote from: AmericanJames on June 06, 2010, 08:03:42 AM

There is precedent

Don't give the anti yank mob any amunition feller,it's a game with 2 teams and the yanks have a chance,in my eyes your defence is supect,and your biggest weakness,you've got a good midfield and a couple of quick strikers with a solid goalkeeper but that defence are in for a torrid time I'm afraid :dft012: :59:
o and as your quoting dates ie 1812 I've found this on an American history website:-

Weary of futile warfare, both sides signed the Treaty of Ghent in Belgium on Dec. 24, 1814, restoring prewar conditions. This settlement forestalled a New England separatist movement, proposed at the Hartford Convention (December 1814-January 1815) in response to the extremely unpopular war. Though the U.S. gained none of its avowed aims,POPULAR LEGEND SOON CONVERTED DEFEAT INTO THE ILLUSION OF VICTORY.-just because somebody makes a TV programe showing one point of view doesn't make it true! 

AmericanJames,
Unfortunately, my old son, you've been rumbled on this one. Syd is perfectly correct inasmuch that the US 'invaded' both the Quebec and Ontario areas of Canada under Madison, but after two years, failed to gain any ground at all and the treaty was signed at Ghent. We actually visited the site of the Ontario conflict just 18 months ago, and if you speak to the Canadians about it, they would have a slant that differs from your memories of it.

Peabody

By say The British Isles James you have raised a good point because, I think a large percentage of Irish, Scottish and Welsh would rejoice in any England defeat.

blingo

One good player (Dempsey) does not make a team.  :59:

jarv

Blingo, they have several good players. Be warned. The biggest player they have is attitude. Real attitude and passion as a team. Not the rubbish that Terry and Lampard spit out. Bear in mind, most American footballers are educated, so tend to have a more intelligent and realistic approach to these events.

Also, their manager could possibly be a future Roy Hodgson. He has some of the same characteristics.

flynny

How did you get on in veitnam.have you played them at football since they kicked your ass.

YankeeJim

Truth be told, if the other side burns your capital city, you probably lost. Course, I'm unaware of England EVER beating the US in a WC match. Course, I'm only aware of the 1950 game.  :005:
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

blingo

Jarv, it will be Lampard and Gerrard that score against them lol. They dont have many players that are prem standard, full stop. As for attitude, it does you no good if you can't beat the team called ENGLAND.

Rambling_Syd_Rumpo

all joking apart I think the yanks will do ok,they SHOULD get out of the group and into the knockout rounds and then you can take it game by game,they will give us problems simply because we are England and they are yanks-still,that's what the world cup is all about  :clap_hands:

clintclintdeuce

Hahahaha. Yes, thanks James for stirring the pot my dear brother. I personally think the game will come down to goaltending.... and we all know whos got the better keeper. Remember this is almost the same side that didnt qualify for the weak tournament Euro 2008, and we already beat the champion of that tournament soundly so I dont know why all the fuss anyways!!  
The Dude abides.

Edwatch_Winston_Malone

Quote from: clintclintdeuce on June 06, 2010, 07:09:21 PM
Hahahaha. Yes, thanks James for stirring the pot my dear brother. I personally think the game will come down to goaltending.... and we all know whos got the better keeper. Remember this is almost the same side that didnt qualify for the weak tournament Euro 2008, and we already beat the champion of that tournament soundly so I dont know why all the fuss anyways!!  

WTF is goal tending?  Isn't that undertaken by the groundsman?

ImperialWhite

QuoteHahahaha. Yes, thanks James for stirring the pot my dear brother. I personally think the game will come down to goaltending.... and we all know whos got the better keeper. Remember this is almost the same side that didnt qualify for the weak tournament Euro 2008, and we already beat the champion of that tournament soundly so I dont know why all the fuss anyways!!   

Oops... you were thinking of ice hockey mate!

Rambling_Syd_Rumpo

Quote from: clintclintdeuce on June 06, 2010, 07:09:21 PM
come down to goaltending.... 
just when you think the yanks finally get it............................................................ :doh:

clintclintdeuce

he who tends to the goal is the goaltender lol
The Dude abides.

RidgeRider

This thread is eerily reminiscent of things I used to see on the 'awful' but I appreciate that it didn't spiral out.

No matter who wins Saturday, I think we may all agree that the best result will be both our national teams making it to the next round.

England has the advantage, better players and better style of play, but anything can happen. Let's just hope it is epic.

Edwatch_Winston_Malone

yes and no matter who wins let's all sit round, hold hands and sing - Kum bay ya, my Lord, kum bay ya; Kum bay ya, the Lord, kum bay ya; Kum bay ya, my Lord, kum bay ya, O Lord, kum bay ya. Kum bay ya, my Lord, kum bay ya; ...

ImperialWhite

Quote from: RidgeRider on June 06, 2010, 09:42:17 PM
This thread is eerily reminiscent of things I used to see on the 'awful' but I appreciate that it didn't spiral out.

No matter who wins Saturday, I think we may all agree that the best result will be both our national teams making it to the next round.

England has the advantage, better players and better style of play, but anything can happen. Let's just hope it is epic.

You're right.

And it will be a very important game for both sides - although I hope this does lead to both teams being overly cautious (I hope not).

England - a win would (probably) all but confirm us as group winners.
USA - a win, or even a draw, would certainly give you runners up, but might even give you thoughts of nicking to spot (hope not!!!)

ImperialWhite

Quote from: clintclintdeuce on June 06, 2010, 09:29:17 PM
he who tends to the goal is the goaltender lol

You know when you say a word too many times and it kind of loses it's meaning? I'm finding that with 'goalkeeping' and 'goaltending'. When you think about it, wtf is 'keeping' or 'tending' to a goal!? Keeping a goal!? Sounds like something you'd do with a stately home, and tending sounds like what a gardner does. 

Goal defender? Hmmm...