watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Question for the Yanks & Aussies

Started by Rambling_Syd_Rumpo, June 06, 2010, 07:02:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Burt

I work for a US company and one of my bosses is an American on secondment to the UK.

A good guy in all respects, apart from his lack of appreciation for London Pride and also his ignorance when it comes to football... I asked him whether he would be watching the big match on Saturday and he didn't even realise that his homeland were playing England!

Still, last month he did agree that I could miss the second day of our leadership team meeting so I could get out to Hamburg and for that he has my undying gratitude!!

timmyg

Back to the original question --

I think most Americans are aware how big the world cup is. You'd have to be complete dolt that thinks the earth is flat to not admit that fact.

Whether or not they care about it is a whole other issue.
"Not everybody's the perfect person in the world. I mean everyone kills people, murders people, steals from you, steals from me, whatever." -- Terrelle Pryor, on Michael Vick

Ag

Quote from: Lighthouse on June 07, 2010, 01:10:35 AM
This year we had a few American Celebs. Woody from Cheers and a bloke from Heroes and Mike Myers and somebody else.

Mike Myers is Canadian, fwiw.

It's like hockey at the Olympics this year.  Some will casually follow the US during the tournament.  Some sports fans will really get into it during the event and then forget soccer for 4 yrs.  And a few will convert.  The better the US does, the more people will "catch the fever" (temporarily).

Kiwi Fulham Fan

people in NZ are slowly coming round, first time at the world since 1982, so the media is here is really going to town over it
will be interesting too see how long the Football buzz will last after the cup has finished , as we host the Rugby World Cup next year

SoCalJoe

Gradually it's becoming more popular. There is a portion of the US market that have become "soccer fans every 4 years" ala the Olympics. It will be interesting to see the ratings for the US-England match.
You can observe a lot by just watching.

McBridefan1

I went out yesterday and bought a USA soccer team shirt... the kid ringing me up actually asked me why is the game against England considered a big rivalry... isn't England the best team and the US the Worst... I bit my tongue instead of asking him if he's ever heard of the Revolutionary War where England was the best team and the US was the worst... but I was nice and explained about the progression of US soccer and how we really weren't the "worst" team, that in fact we can play with any team on the planet and even beat the number one ranked team in the world when we beat Spain last summer. But I have to say compared to when I was a kid the WC is actually on the lips of the average American, as a kid I barely knew the sport exhisted let alone some magical cup that was played for by every country on the planet... it is definately growing and now that ESPN has figured out how lucrative it can be they are definately pushing to make it as successful as they are able.