watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Liverpool to make formal approach for Hodgson in next 48 hours - Exclusive

Started by DevonFFC, June 09, 2010, 12:14:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DevonFFC

Liverpool will make a formal approach for Roy Hodgson to become their new manager within the next 48 hours.

The Fulham boss is the clear front-runner from a short list drawn up by Kop legend Kenny Dalglish and MD Christian Purslow, to be presented to the Anfield board this week.

The club's directors are certain to give the green light to make Hodgson their official target within the next two days, and approach his London club with an offer of compensation to make him the next Liverpool manager.

Former Inter Milan boss Hodgson has a one-year rolling contract with the Craven Cottage outfit, negotiated at the start of the just completed season. Crucially, it contains a clause which allows him to leave to join a top club for a compensation figure of around £2.5million.

The experienced coach has maintained a diplomatic silence over Liverpool interest in recent days, but he has made clear his desire to have one last opportunity with one of the Premier League's leading clubs.

Dalglish and Purslow have pinpointed six key qualities they require in their choice to succeed Rafa Benitez, and Hodgson is the candidate who ticks all the boxes.

His massive experience in Europe and extensive contacts within UEFA aligned to his winning record and diplomatic skills make him an attractive choice in a time of deep uncertainty at Anfield, as the club's American owners insufferably draw out the plan to sell their holding.

The other leading candidate on the short-list is Bayern Munich's Louis Van Gaal, but both Dalglish and Purslow recognise the difficulty in prising him away from the German champions, and Hodgson will be their first port of call.

No timescale has been set on the process of replacing Benitez, but sources within the club suggest that an appointment is imminent with the new man destined to be in place before the end of the month.

Hodgson has a contract to work for the BBC as pundit during the World Cup in South Africa, but he will be happy to break off from commentating to conclude any negotiations with the Anfield board, and will be in position to identify potential transfer targets.

Fulham want to keep their manager after he steered them to the UEFA Cup final in May, but Liverpool will not try to haggle and will meet the compensation figure in Hodgson's contract, meaning the London club will have no option but to allow him to leave.

The payment to Fulham will not prove too much of a barrier for Liverpool, not least because they are about to receive a similar level of compensation from Inter Milan for the Anfield backroom staff who are set to join Benitez in Italy.

He has negotiated to take several of his trusted lieutenants with him, including his Reds first team coach Mauricio Pellegrino, fitness coach Paco de Miguel and keeper coach Xavi Valero.

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Liverpool-to-make-formal-approach-for-Fulham-boss-Roy-Hodgson-in-next-48-hours-Exclusive-article453333.html

WE JUST NEED TO WEATHER THIS STORM AND THEY WILL SOON MOVE ON< I JUST HOPE MO DECIDES TO FLEX HIS POWER

Brede Butter Pudding

Let's be honest, signing Senderos, going on holiday, joining the BBC for a month and 'looking forward to next season' isn't the sign of a man looking to move on. I really hope that Mo has offered Woy the chance to spend relatively big this summer in an attempt to keep him at the club, because if Woy stays, I believe that with a few funds the possibilities are endless

CorkedHat

What we do for others will live on. What we do for ourselves will die with us

Whiteroom

It is funny the way this thread is directly next to one which is saying that Hodgson is not being considered for the job anymore. Do we really have a clue?

The Equalizer

"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

cebu

I'm sure the bookies love all those punters who are betting on Roy moving to Anfield.  :011:

Logicalman

Quote from: The Equalizer on June 09, 2010, 09:07:57 AM
"No. 28 Bus Found On Moon"

Wouldn't have thought they'd have had room on the Eagle, would you? Must be a tardis-like thing.

epsomraver

This item is OLD NEWS, it was published days ago, just being regurgitated by some lazy journo

Kiwi Fulham Fan

Quote from: epsomraver on June 09, 2010, 10:50:06 AM
This item is OLD NEWS, it was published days ago, just being regurgitated by some lazy journo

I'll take that

Jimpav

The Daily Mirror are bunch of fantastists. The rumours they start are always very leftfield and rarely have any grounding.

As Brede pointed out why would Roy fly to South Africa for a month and sign Senderos if he was seriously considering the Liverpool job.

Everyone knew that Benitez was going to leave at the end of the season so if Roy was interested he would be loitering in the wings and being a lot more cagy about it all.

Anyway, this is football , anything can happen.

Burt

I heard that King Kenny will end up doing the job himself. Please let that be true.

RidgeRider

Quote from: Jimpav on June 09, 2010, 12:30:50 PM
The Daily Mirror are bunch of fantastists. The rumours they start are always very leftfield and rarely have any grounding.

As Brede pointed out why would Roy fly to South Africa for a month and sign Senderos if he was seriously considering the Liverpool job.

Everyone knew that Benitez was going to leave at the end of the season so if Roy was interested he would be loitering in the wings and being a lot more cagy about it all.

Anyway, this is football , anything can happen.

Good point as usual Jimpav, I had another take.... it would seem on the surface he likely wouldn't do all that if he was leaving however, if I were him, I would be leaving ALL options open.....meaning continuing to plan Fulham's future, by signing players etc. while leaving the possibility of a move open. If Liverpool makes him an offer he can't refuse, he may just go, but if they don't make him the right offer or any offer, then he has lost no momentum for our next season's campaign. Roy is cagey and patient and I see him as the kind of man who will be considering ALL paths until there is only one.