Main Menu

Fulham To Offer Roy Double Money Deal

Started by White Noise, June 10, 2010, 06:37:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

Ful your boots with £2m, Roy

By ANDREW DILLON

Published: Today

ROY HODGSON will get a £2million jackpot from Fulham in the hope of keeping him away from Liverpool.

Owner Mohamed Fayed is prepared to double the manager's salary to make him stay at Craven Cottage.

Hodgson, 62, signed a £1m-a-year 12-month rolling contract in January but is Liverpool's top choice to replace sacked Rafa Benitez.

Fulham insist they have had no approach yet but are braced for a fight to hang on to their manager.

Al Fayed recently made £1.5BILLION from the sale of posh London store Harrods and has vowed to use it to plough more cash into the club.

Hodgson is also a candidate to eventually replace England boss Fabio Capello and could miss out if he joins Liverpool this summer and the Italian quits after the World Cup.

A Fulham insider explained: "Leaving Fulham to take over at England would be seen as the pinnacle of Roy's career.

"And everyone thinks that's what he would love to do.

"He could miss out on that if he gets tempted by Liverpool and then the England job comes up not long after.

"There's also the question of Liverpool being up for sale at the moment. Roy could go there under the current owners, new men come in and the job could end up being very short-term."

Hodgson's stock is at its height after he led Fulham to an unlikely Europa League final last season.

In barely two years, he saved the club from relegation then clinched seventh place in the Premier League and European football on a relatively meagre budget.

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/3007219/Fulham-to-double-Roy-Hodgsons-money-to-ward-off-Liverpool.html#ixzz0qQRf29My

White Noise

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Liverpool-board-want-Roy-Hodgson-NOT-Kenny-Dalglish-to-replace-sacked-Rafa-Benitez-Exclusive-article454649.html

Liverpool want Hodgson, NOT Dalglish - Exclusive

Published 23:00 09/06/10

By David Maddock

Liverpool's board will meet on Friday to agree a formal approach for Roy Hodgson.

The club will press on with their intention to ask for permission to speak to the Fulham boss, despite their own king-maker, Kenny Dalglish, admitting he would be prepared to do the vacant manager's job at Anfield.

The Kop legend has spent the past two days submerged in meetings with MD Christian Purslow to decide on a short-list of candidates to present to the board.

The pair met for six hours on Monday to discuss the best possible successor to Rafa Benitez, who was sacked last week, and considered a host of names, including Hodgson, Louis Van Gaal, Guus Hiddink, Martin O'Neill, Harry Redknapp and Mark Hughes.

And Dalglish has given his backing to his respected friend Hodgson, after enquiries ruled out the two other front-runners Van Gaal and Hiddink.

Liverpool are in no rush to appoint a replacement for Benitez, who is finally due to be unveiled as the new Inter Milan manager, following days of haggling over the role.

The board tasked Dalglish and Purslow to come up with a short-list of candidates, to allow an approach to be made to the front-runner after the formality of a vote.

The meeting will be held before the weekend, and if the club's American owners agree, Liverpool are then expected to contact Fulham for permission to hold discussions with Hodgson, who has flown to South Africa to be part of the BBC's World Cup team.

That process could take a couple of weeks, but the Merseyside club are confident they will be able to unveil their new manager before the end of the month.

Dalglish has made clear his willingness to take on the role on a permanent basis if it would help the club, but only if Liverpool can't secure the services of his top recommendation.

If Hodgson decides to stay at Fulham and Van Gaal and Hiddink remain reluctant to move to England, then he would offer to step in to fill the post during a difficult period in Anfield history.

It is more likely though, that he will be offered another role at the club working with Hodgson, should he be appointed, given the relationship the pair have.

Dalglish and Purslow considered the merits of O'Neill, who has his backers on the Reds board, but he is a deeply unpopular figure with the Liverpool fans, who have already made clear their unease at his link with the vacant position.

Hughes too, had to be discounted because of his life-long connections with Manchester United, and the fact that he also played for Everton where he remains popular - two associations that would be complete anathema to the Kop faithful.

Hodgson is a far less controversial figure who has won admirers for his tactical triumph in steering tiny Fulham to a UEFA Cup final, and his vast European experience aligned to his diplomatic skills appeals to the Liverpool board.

Tom

Quote from: White Noise on June 10, 2010, 06:37:00 AM
Ful your boots with £2m, Roy

By ANDREW DILLON

Published: Today

ROY HODGSON will get a £2million jackpot from Fulham in the hope of keeping him away from Liverpool.

Owner Mohamed Fayed is prepared to double the manager's salary to make him stay at Craven Cottage.

Hodgson, 62, signed a £1m-a-year 12-month rolling contract in January but is Liverpool's top choice to replace sacked Rafa Benitez.

Fulham insist they have had no approach yet but are braced for a fight to hang on to their manager.

Al Fayed recently made £1.5BILLION from the sale of posh London store Harrods and has vowed to use it to plough more cash into the club.

Hodgson is also a candidate to eventually replace England boss Fabio Capello and could miss out if he joins Liverpool this summer and the Italian quits after the World Cup.

A Fulham insider explained: "Leaving Fulham to take over at England would be seen as the pinnacle of Roy's career.

"And everyone thinks that's what he would love to do.

"He could miss out on that if he gets tempted by Liverpool and then the England job comes up not long after.

"There's also the question of Liverpool being up for sale at the moment. Roy could go there under the current owners, new men come in and the job could end up being very short-term."

Hodgson's stock is at its height after he led Fulham to an unlikely Europa League final last season.

In barely two years, he saved the club from relegation then clinched seventh place in the Premier League and European football on a relatively meagre budget.

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/3007219/Fulham-to-double-Roy-Hodgsons-money-to-ward-off-Liverpool.html#ixzz0qQRf29My
Now this is what im talking about and Roy has earned this! In Roy I trust!!!   :sir_roy:
Fulham for life!

The Equalizer

That article is still a load of bull. It says Fayed is 'prepared to double' his salary, but then goes on without any justification. Plus it has a quote from a 'Fulham insider' who could very well be one of my Dad's drinking friends from the Legion.

Shoddy journalism.
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

BestOfBrede

"steering tiny Fulham to a UEFA Cup final" !!! :035:

TonyGilroy

All the stories agree that Liverpool haven't yet made an approach which means that they haven't decided yet. Which means at the very least that there's uncertainty and lack of unanimity over Hodgson (or anyone else) and that was the case before Dalglish muddied the waters.

Whatever may be said by Liverpool "insiders" it's still guesswork. If and when Roy or anyone else actually starts talking to Liverpool I doubt it will be kept secret.

Whiteroom

Give him whatever he wants! I would contribute to a 'keep Roy at Fulham fund'.

White Noise

I think the 'insider's' comment about the England job is interesting. The clear inference is that Fulham will be happy to let Roy take the England job as soon as he is offered it but that Liverpool's owners may not be so keen to release him and that he could then miss out on his dream job managing his country.

A piece below from Dan at HammyEnd.com on the subject -

http://hammyend.com/?p=7245

Sticking to our guns

by Dan on June 10, 2010

Lydia's already written something this morning about Arsenal's approach for Mark Schwarzer. To my mind (and I'm fully aware I might be speaking too soon), it's impressive to see Fulham telling one of the big boys to back off when they come calling for one of our players.

All too often in recent history, we've seemed to be on the verge of assembling a side capable of competing at a higher level and had to sell one of our established stars. When you think of the departures of Steed Malbranque, Louis Saha, Sean Davis and Edwin van der Sar – to name just four – you do wonder how things might have turned out had we been able to keep the nucleus of that Tigana side together for a couple more seasons.

Holding onto Schwarzer, now 37, is important precisely because of his qualities as a goalkeeper. While Hodgson's system and the ability of the understanding that Hangeland and Hughes are developed in the centre of defence have contributed greatly to Fulham's success over the last year or so, you do feel that much more confident with Schwarzer in goal. His experience means he's not fazed by a big ocassion and his positioning his first-class. Just as importantly, he's a good communicator and our back five have a reassuring solidity about them – which is a marked change after the Sanchez and Coleman years, when Fulham seemed alarmingly fragile in defence.

You can help but think whether Fulham will be just as tough in their efforts to keep Hodgson at the helm. Of course, the situation's different when dealing with your manager rather than a player. But Roy clearly does value the relationship he has with the Fulham chairman and chief executive, something he wouldn't enjoy at many other English clubs, and especially not at Liverpool, where boardroom uncertainty seems the order of the day. He might, as I wrote earlier in the week, feel there's still a job to done by the Thames. You can only hope for two things at this stage – firstly, that he opts to stay in the event of any approach from Liverpool and, secondly, that the speculation doesn't drag on for a the whole summer.

licker

All Roy has to do is issue a statement saying he is not interested and rule himself out,  the fact that he hasn't would suggest that he is interested and will listen to what they say.

He can put the same conditions into any contract (if England come calling i can leave) but there is  still a lot of discontent between the Boardroom, the Fans, and the Owners.

If they ask he would be a fool to turn it down, Benitez was on  a contract worth £6 million a year so i would expect Roy could ask for 3 maybe 4 million.
The offer from your Chairman to double his pay to 2 million suddenly pales into insignificance.

Bill.

Peabody

You forget Licker, that Liverpool are hard up, could they afford those sort of wages?

TonyGilroy

I have no real doubt that if Liverpool make Roy an offer that's reasonable for a job of that status he'll take it.

I can't think that they'll offer him a monthly contract, tell him there's no transfer budget and told to wait to see if the new owners whenever and whoever decide they'd like to keep him.

My gut feeling still is that Dalgleish will get the job but as others have said it's past time for FFC and Roy to issue a statement saying "not interested" if that was indeed the case.

If Roy's tempted by Liverpool more cash from MAF won't stop him going.