News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Seriously? We're losing a player because of this?

Started by LRCN, June 10, 2010, 02:56:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LRCN

Manchester City have joined Arsenal in the chase for Ghana youngster King Gyan Osei, skysports.com  understands.

The 21-year-old midfielder joined Fulham in 2007 when they beat Manchester United and Newcastle to sign him from Hearts of Oak in Accra.

Having signed King, Fulham were fully aware he would not qualify to get a work permit and could not play in England, so he was sent on loan to Belgian club Germinal Beerschot Antwerpen.

His progress at GBA has been good and he has continued to have training sessions in London with Fulham, where he has impressed Cottagers chief Roy Hodgson.

It was hoped that after three years he would qualify for a work permit, but it transpires he will need a minimum of an additional 12-month residency to attain an EU passport.

King, who won his first full cap for Ghana last year, is now leaving Fulham after his contract expired.

Arsenal have been long-term admirers and are keen to take him on, but City have also emerged as possible contenders for his signature.

Should either English club sign him they would attempt to win him a work permit and if that failed then he would be loaned to a Belgian side for another year.

But there is also interest in Belgium to sign him permanently with both Anderlecht and Standard Liege said to be keen.

FatFreddysCat

What a feck up, so we pay all that dough on getting him trained up and other expenses, and someone didn't check the work permit details properly. Sounded like a good un as well.  :046:

os5889

:55:

Makes you feel a bit robbed, that said if the player was someone committed or targeting playing for Fulham he'd have signed with us... Do we want players who view us as a stepping stone???

TonyGilroy

If he's under 24 though we're entitled to a fee albeit one fixed by a Tribunal and therefore probably quite low. But what can you do if he won't sign another contract.

richardhkirkando

Quote from: TonyGilroy on June 10, 2010, 07:30:29 PM

If he's under 24 though we're entitled to a fee albeit one fixed by a Tribunal and therefore probably quite low. But what can you do if he won't sign another contract.
And I think that's only if we agree to let him go.  Bottom line (and the player doesn't have to be happy about this) is that he's ours if we want him.

TonyGilroy

That can't be right. If his contract's expired we can't stop him signing for someone else. That was the old retain and transfer system. Long gone.

ImperialWhite

Aaah, Jean-Marc Bosman. Without a contract you're worth precisely nowt to a club.

richardhkirkando

I'm not really sure how the contracts work out, but I'm fairly sure that players under 24 can't sign on a free transfer unless their previous club releases them.  I want to say that some rolling contract that comes into play, which is why we controlled Collins John until he was 24.  CJ's original contract definitely expired before he left, so I'm thinking we only had to continue paying wages equivalent to whatever he was making at the end of it to retain control.