News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

That's what you get for being a goalkeeper.

Started by vagrant, June 13, 2010, 11:07:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vagrant

In one of lifes injustices really.  One howler (and it was a howler) and every man and his dog has a pop. 
At the other end of the pitch, your so called strikers miss chance after chance, and it's glossed over.  Hardly worth a mention really.  :doh:

ImperialWhite

I agree - Shaun Wright Phillips and Heskey both missed one-on-one chances - you'd think one of them would have scored.

cebu

Quote from: ImperialWhite on June 13, 2010, 11:25:56 AM
I agree - Shaun Wright Phillips and Heskey both missed one-on-one chances - you'd think one of them would have scored.
To be honest, I expected both of them to miss. They're both lousy finishers really.

Rupert

Oh yes, I still recall with angst the day I, in goal, had a shot nicely covered, only for it to squirm out of my gloves and into the net, much like Dempsey's shot last night. The main difference being it was the North Home Counties Division four for me, there was a crowd of about twenty, and we got thumped heavily anyway. It was still embarrasing, though.
Any fool can criticise, condemn and complain, and most fools do.

Lighthouse

What about the defenders in front of Calamity Green. They allow Clinton to collect the ball with his back to goal. Call home to his family. Text an entry to a Soft Drink competition, find a track on his net i player 3D Apple Screen and then turn one way and then the other and then shoot.

While we have limping King and Shooting Blanks Heskey we really have no right to be too annoyed at Green. Still it is good to see England play because I realise just how good Fulham are.

Oh and like Rupert we all have tales of Keeping errors. I was picked for the school, had a great few games, was clapped off the field by our opponents after a one man show. A few games later had a mare and couldn't catch a cold and fumbled a shot. Guess which game an area scout was at.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

TonyGilroy

As mistakes go though that was as bad as it gets. The ball was heading slowly towards him, no swerve or bobble, clear view, no one around him.

I'm struggling to think of a worse goalkeeping mistake that I've seen. I doubt he'll ever be picked again. He shouldn't be.

Edwatch_Winston_Malone

American players have been shot for scoring own goals in the world cup...

mhatc

Quote from: Edward_Winston_Malone on June 13, 2010, 12:01:50 PM
No, that's Columbian. But he did help us win.

Steve_orino

Quote from: Edward_Winston_Malone on June 13, 2010, 12:01:50 PM

South American

As Mr. mhatc alludes to, a Colombian player allowed an own-goal that enabled the US to advance in a tourney...the Colombian player went home and was shot and killed by a fanatic...the worst of the beautiful game.
Fulham Supporter - Est. 03/2008
"My aim is to stabilise, sustain, and have the club move forward." Shad Khan 07/2013
@Borino09

os5889

If only John Terry had shagged Rob Greens Bird....  :022:

FatFreddysCat

Well that's one spill the Yanks wont be complaining about.

FatFreddysCat

BarryP

"Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never--in nothing, great or small, large or petty--never give in, except to convictions of honor and good sense."

PaulUMD

I was impressed with Green, he stood up, did interviews, didn't hide from the mistake and took it like a man.  I hope Capello starts him again so he has a chance at redemption, he deserves it.

Logicalman

Quote from: TonyGilroy on June 13, 2010, 11:59:16 AM
As mistakes go though that was as bad as it gets. The ball was heading slowly towards him, no swerve or bobble, clear view, no one around him.

I'm struggling to think of a worse goalkeeping mistake that I've seen. I doubt he'll ever be picked again. He shouldn't be.

Can't disagree Tony (though I seem to recall in the more distant corners of my memory a Leeds keeper that made many faux pas in similar fashion), though as vagrant alludes to, if it wasn't for the pathetic goal scorers we apparently fielded (I swear Rooney was on the field - but I could have been wrong), then we might have picked up 2 goals and three points, and the mistake by Green would have been just 'one of those things' and not so roundly condemned by the press and lemmings alike.

Here in the States I've already been asked why does our press back home try to destroy each player? I have no answer for them. If we were to go on and win the cup, and Green played every game going forward, it's amazing how the press would change their tune.

Airfix

Quote from: Rupert on June 13, 2010, 11:45:32 AM
Oh yes, I still recall with angst the day I, in goal, had a shot nicely covered, only for it to squirm out of my gloves and into the net, much like Dempsey's shot last night. The main difference being it was the North Home Counties Division four for me, there was a crowd of about twenty, and we got thumped heavily anyway. It was still embarrasing, though.

Quote from: Lighthouse on June 13, 2010, 11:51:02 AM
Oh and like Rupert we all have tales of Keeping errors. I was picked for the school, had a great few games, was clapped off the field by our opponents after a one man show. A few games later had a mare and couldn't catch a cold and fumbled a shot. Guess which game an area scout was at.

Yes, I am still haunted by the 'keeping error that I made when playing for Surrey Fulham fans against Middlesex Fulham fans at Motspur Park.  Dived completely the wrong way and the ball squirted past me.  It'll haunt me until the day I die.

Dragoman

Quote from: Logicalman on June 14, 2010, 10:23:34 AM
Quote from: TonyGilroy on June 13, 2010, 11:59:16 AM

Can't disagree Tony (though I seem to recall in the more distant corners of my memory a Leeds keeper that made many faux pas in similar fashion), though as vagrant alludes to, if it wasn't for the pathetic goal scorers we apparently fielded (I swear Rooney was on the field - but I could have been wrong), then we might have picked up 2 goals and three points, and the mistake by Green would have been just 'one of those things' and not so roundly condemned by the press and lemmings alike.

Here in the States I've already been asked why does our press back home try to destroy each player? I have no answer for them. If we were to go on and win the cup, and Green played every game going forward, it's amazing how the press would change their tune.

The Leeds keeper was Gary Sprake.

TonyGilroy

Gary Sprake was a top quality keeper who made a few very high profile errors. Once he threw the ball straight into his net but however bad it looked in truth it had slipped out of his hand.

I cannot ever recall an error as bad as Green's from a professional keeper and it has to have been caused by nerves and tension. I think it would be an incredibly brave decision to play him against Algeria. He clearly wasn't psychologically capable of playing in a game of such importance.

He's obviously not a bad keeper but he's spent his career playing for ordinary clubs - he hasn't had the big match experience to prepare him for the World Cup. That's true of Hart as well but he's much younger. James has his faults but he won't freeze in a World Cup game.

McBridefan1