watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

England Manager may be available quicker than we think

Started by Lighthouse, June 15, 2010, 12:51:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lighthouse

Roy should hold off going to Liverpool because two decisions by Fabio Acapella may well see him lose his job and give Roy a chance.

The first was not playing his World Cup keeper in the friendly games. Hart clearly is the best keeper in form and played well. Green was always a little iffy. By not letting the Keeper know in good time, is just poor management.

Second poor Acapella decision was naming King. A player who is injured and cannot train and is now out for a few weeks again.

So Roy may well leave Fulham soon but should delay going to Liverpool because England are just around the corner.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

jarv

After losing Keegan to England, hope not Roy now. I agree with yur feelings about capello but I wold take it a stage further. The real problem here is the FA. They are all bungling muppets. They pay this man ridiculous money, to do what? Watch football, that's what. The team (or squad) picks itself. All England needs is a good man manager. The players show up fit and know how to play. All that is left is a bit of preparation and motivation. Two things not in evidence with Mr. capello.
At the group stage, there was not one decent team to play against. Any one of us on this board could have managed England to win that group. Before anyone shouts "Croatia". Two years past their sell by date. (Any team which concedes 5 in one game is not a contender).

Back to Mr. capello. He was out coached by an American college coach, however, a man who has studied his craft like our own RH. How many Americans would start for England (except Tim Howard)? None, that's how many. So, why did America look more comfortable throughout the game after the first 25 minutes. Good coaching, that's how.
Good man management, that's how.

This was not a sunday pick up game so why was the keeper  announcement left to the last minute. Absolute nonsense, totally amateur. The suits at the FA have done it again. Which lucky foreigner will be the next millionaire thanks to them.

Boy, I wish I could get a shot at the job in charge of the FA.

finnster01

If they made me head of FA, I would just explode on my first day at work by the display of utter uselessness, fire the entire lot, and then resign myself.

If there is one body of work that is beyond repair, it is the FA. Makes even FIFA look respectable. :028: :014:
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

TonyGilroy

With Green I think we're all being wise after the event. You could add Robinson, Foster or Kirkland to our goalkeeping strength but none are good enough yet none would have been considered likely to have blundered in quite the way Green did.

Our central defenders have all aged together and become injury prone. King was a calculated risk.

I think we'll see a more assured performance on Friday but whoever manages we don't have the players to come close to winning the World Cup.

FC Silver Fox

I admit that this post may make you splutter (but people don't splutter enough these days).

I make Cappello at least 50% responsible for Green's mistake. If there is one position in a team that thrives on self-confidence, its the keeper. He should have named Green as his keeper 2 weeks before the game. Not only would it give Green confidence knowing his manager trusted him but it would give the rest of the team time and means of adapting to Green's style. Say what you like, but defences don't play the same way with different goalies between the sticks. As it was, Green knew that any mistake would be pounced upon. How can a goalie be successful in those conditions?
Secondly, straight after the game, Cappello should have come straight out and said to Green, in front of the other players in the dressing room, that he should put the mistake behind him and he was on the teamsheet for the next game. He should then have gone out and  told the media that Green had his absolute confidence.  By doing this, there would not be a player more motivated to play well than Green.
This iffy and last minute way of naming the team is just an exercise in the manager's self-importance and just de-stabilises the team. What do you do if you get really psyched up to represent your country in a World Cup match and then are told you're not playing a couple of hours before the game?
   Whatever happens in the game. The buck stops at the manager's door.
This said, Beamer's original post makes me uncomfortable. Our manager is not for sale. He's staying  at the Cottage, thank you very much.
Finn and Corked Hat, you are forever part of the family.

TonyGilroy

By not making his choice known earlier Capello was indicating that he had no faith in ANY of his keepers. Whatever he felt I agree that showing that was a mistake. A bad one.

Notwithstanding though, Green's mistake was so bad as to be unpredictable unless he was clearly a bag of nerves before the game. As it is I think we should start either Hart or James because, whatever was or was not predictable, it's now clear that Green isn't psychologically up for this.

blingo

It will be interesting to hear the comments after our next match if we win 5-0. How easy is it to criticise after the match???? Cappelo is going NOWHERE. We have played ONE match and had it not been for the mistake (and that is all it was) by Green, which cost us two points we would now be joint top of our group. What a silly thread to start Light Head.

TonyGilroy

I think it's a fair question.

Does anyone think Capello will stay as manager if we fail to qualify from this group. If he goes Roy would be a very likely replacement but not if he's just become Liverpool manager.

Teabag

Errr, hang on a minute - the name of the goalkeeper may not have been announced to the general public in advance, but how does anyone know whether the team and Green didn't know?

ron

What I want to know is how can a manager have a quiet word in players' ears and use those subtle nuances of meaning that can be tailored to inspire confidence when the man has only a rudimentary grasp of English...?

WhiteJC

Quote from: ron on June 15, 2010, 09:17:26 AM
What I want to know is how can a manager have a quiet word in players' ears and use those subtle nuances of meaning that can be tailored to inspire confidence when the man has only a rudimentary grasp of English...?

I honestly don't think that most of the team would understand subtlety even spoken in perfect English!

finnster01

Quote from: WhiteJC on June 15, 2010, 10:19:16 AM
Quote from: ron on June 15, 2010, 09:17:26 AM

I honestly don't think that most of the team would understand subtlety even spoken in perfect English!
Exactly, very few of them speak English, like... Just ask the captain.
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

beijing ben

Whilst i think that most of the comments on here represent the 'knee-jerk reaction' to England's failure to win, i think that Roy and Redknapp are waiting to see if England qualify before deciding on their futures. As much as i don't want it to happen i predicted England to go out of the group stages which means Capello will leave. I think Capello is fine as a manager but that will happen if we don't qualify.

Redknapp will get the England job. Dalglish will get the Liverpool job. Roy will go to Spurs. And we will be asking Hughes if he wants a way back. I think i said all this a few weeks ago on here (except Dalglish). Anyway, obviously i hope i'm wrong about all of it and if i am it wouldn't be the first time and won't be the last...

TonyGilroy

I can't see Redknapp getting the England job whilst there's criminal charges outstanding. They've been there before with Terry Venables.

beijing ben

The situation with Redknapp and his criminal activity has been going on for a long, long time. He was close to getting it last time. He will be top of their list i think. Roy will just miss out... if the disastrous happens in this world cup

Burt

All this Capello crap is a load of old baloney (or "balloni" in Italian). If Green had made the save, the hysteria would be minimal.

Which reminds me, apologies if this has already been mentioned, but a new brand of Green's condoms have been launched. They are slippery, and you won't catch anything.