watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

WC2010 is woeful - discuss

Started by Airfix, June 15, 2010, 04:58:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Airfix

I have done some "in depth" analysis of World Cup 2010 and compared it to previous tournaments (well, I went back as far as 1986 before I had to stop looking like I wasn't really doing any work!).

We have just finished match 13 of this year's tournament - the 4th since the number of teams went up from 24 to 32.

So far, 20 goals have been scored.

The equivalent tally by tournament is as follows:~

2006 - 30
2002 - 37
1998 - 32
1994 - 32
1990 - 29
1986 - 25

What's going on???  Someone score some goals FFS!  :014:

AlFayedsChequebook

I didnt want to jump to any conlcusions, but so far it is pretty woeful. I am sure it will change as teams start to really need to win.

LBNo11

...is the quality any better than previously, if so perhaps everyone knows how to counter each other tactically?

Maybe the 'smaller' teams are catching up with the rest of the teams through worldwide football/soccer exposure and are getting a better understanding of the fundamentals whilst England just stagnates tactically and relies on media reputation?

There seems a lack of 'flair' players in this tournament, the ones who can change a match, the most talented team on paper has to be Argentina but I wasn't that convinced even with them.

It is early days, so it could get better once we get to the knock out stages.

Maybe the vuvuzelas incessant dronings are numbing the creative juices in the minds of the players..?

Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

vagrant

Don't want to join in the ball debate, but one thing I have noticed is the amount of free kicks being blazed over the bar. 

Vinnieffc

I think it's the ball. Free kicks over the bar and overhit, misweighted passes. It's funny only the Germans have looked comfortable with the new ball, and the fact they used it during the past Bundesliga season may speak volumes.

Lighthouse

Here we go again. Every World Cup during the first games everybody says the games are more boring than usual. Fact is LB is right that we have no soppy Nations playing football. You don't have the African Countries rolling over and wondering what a free kick is. All the first games are played to not lose.

Wait until the group games are over and then we can make a comment. But it is always the same at this stage.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

WhiteJC

it seams that we have complaints about the "new ball" every world cup, if we need a new type of ball, why not introduce it after the competition? or the season before, at least it would give the players time to get used to it

LBNo11

...I believe the new ball was offered as an option to clubs in Germany and Italy and Denmark, not sure if it was offered in other countries.

Lump'ard should love it he'll be able to score with shots from outside the box - our box that is...
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

The Equalizer

I believe that Fabio Capellio had the opportunity to have the squad train with it a few months back. He passed on the opportunity.
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

LRCN

right let's get this rubbish ball thing out of the way. The ball in the last world cup was 4 grams lighter. The thing that's affecting the flight of the ball is the thinner air.

but yeah the quality of the games has been poor generally, although I don't mind that too much because the world cup is more about the event than the games itself IMO, so I look forward to watching south korea greece as much as ivory coast portugal.

Jimbobob

Quote from: Lork on June 15, 2010, 06:07:49 PM
right let's get this rubbish ball thing out of the way. The ball in the last world cup was 4 grams lighter. The thing that's affecting the flight of the ball is the thinner air.

but yeah the quality of the games has been poor generally, although I don't mind that too much because the world cup is more about the event than the games itself IMO, so I look forward to watching south korea greece as much as ivory coast portugal.

Lork you are all over it.  :54:
Remember - they complained about the ball the last time. Some of the matches may not be great but I really think this is so HUGE now that that first match is a bundle of nerves on steroids. Competition is better. I think the next group matches will be better, as you mentioned everyone will be better after adapting to altitude and that may well be influencing the ball as well.
I am in the states so I NEVER EVER get to see this much football so even a bad match to me is great because they are all on TV and everyone is playing for their country. God maybe the damn noise is having more of an impact than we know. ESPN can drive me crazy but they are doing a great job showing this much football and if I get in the car every match is on Sirius radio also by ESPN. I just can't complain at all.  :clap_hands: :beer: :clap_hands: :beer:
I just love this so much - it is an incredible event. :54: :55: :54:

"You don't want to be trapped inside with me sunshine. Inside, I'm somebody nobody wants to love with do you understand?