watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Matt Besler Has Fulham Offer

Started by Captain Fulhamerica, July 16, 2014, 03:34:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deanothefulhamfan

JMH how often was Burn called upon last season under FM, add to that how often has he featured in this season's pre season friendlys.... I am a huge fan of Burn, and would love him to start alongside Hutchinson, but I would be amazed if he was a starter next season.

jmh

Quote from: Deanothefulhamfan on July 17, 2014, 05:08:32 PM
JMH how often was Burn called upon last season under FM, add to that how often has he featured in this season's pre season friendlys.... I am a huge fan of Burn, and would love him to start alongside Hutchinson, but I would be amazed if he was a starter next season.
He didn't play a ton this past spring under Magath, but then it's often a cliche that you need experienced players who will keep their heads in a relegation battle, so maybe he just gave in to that, or maybe he thought Burn wasn't far enough along in his development for the situation we were in.  (Similarly, people sometimes said Jol didn't rate Kasami because he sent him out on loan, but that was really just to get first team experience and we saw, from how much Kasami played last fall, that Jol had rated him all along.)  He's played 45 minutes in the first two friendlies and just a few minutes against Motherwell; Hutchinson and Voser played a lot but mainly everyone played between 90 and 135 minutes, Burn among those players.  Maybe he's playing less because Magath doesn't rate him, or maybe he's playing less because (like with Parker, and Amorebieta, and Kaca, and the top two keepers) Magath is more familiar with him than he is with the newer players and wants to see what the newer players can do; I just don't think we've seen enough to know that Magath doesn't rate him. 

On the other hand, I think Magath doesn't rate Trotta, who hasn't been involved at all despite his development with Brentford the last two years suggesting that the Championship is probably the right level for him at this point.

MJG

Trotta has had an injury

jmh

Quote from: MJG on July 17, 2014, 06:38:16 PM
Trotta has had an injury
Didn't realize that, thanks for the info.

jags24

Having watched the US team, I would say that Besler would be a good acquisition for a Championship side, less so for the Prem.  I like him and think he is an intelligent player.  He did a solid job at the World Cup and I think he would be consistent.

Fulham really needs that because the back line was very erratic last year.

mccscratch

Quote from: jags24 on July 17, 2014, 06:51:27 PM
Having watched the US team, I would say that Besler would be a good acquisition for a Championship side, less so for the Prem.  I like him and think he is an intelligent player.  He did a solid job at the World Cup and I think he would be consistent.

I will say this... Tim Ream was named Bolton's player of the season this past year... Besler beat out Ream for a WC spot...Besler is left footed like Ream, he is decent with the ball at his feet, can play out of the back instead of hoofing and is a little stronger in the air and a little faster... Besler's main strength is his positioning. He rarely gets caught out and would be a superb player for us if we did not already have a bunch of left footed CBs... I think he would be a good squad player in the Prem and starter for the bottom few clubs.
Just score 3+ goals a game and we will gain promotion...I promise

jags24

You could probably play Besler at RCB and get away with it.  It's not ideal, but you could match him with a stopper like Burn and it would be a good combo in other ways.  Amorebieta really got exposed last year as too slow for CB in the prem.  The Championship is also fast-paced.

I think Besler is a safe bet and would be a good pickup, but the larger question is, who is going to play CM for us?!?

jonnypittsburghffc

they very well could play 5 at the back...plus they have already sgined Hutchinson, Voser, Hoogland and Stafylidis..I think he will go Prem if he moves anywhere..just a hunch
jdk coyw

RidgeRider

I think for Besler it will be what is the best fit and for the MLS, what is the best deal.

If we think the MLS is equivalent to a mid table Championship side (though I've heard people state on here they thought the MLS was equivalent to League one, I don't agree but....), then if he views Fulham as a top Championship side with a real chance of being promoted then we would be a good fit because there is less risk and more like a chance to play, rather than sit and wait for opportunities. If he views he is ready for the Prem, then we wouldn't be a good move. I think Fulham is a safer move for him. He could sit at Sunderland.

HatterDon

Quote from: mccscratch on July 17, 2014, 07:06:43 PM
Quote from: jags24 on July 17, 2014, 06:51:27 PM

I will say this... Tim Ream was named Bolton's player of the season this past year... Besler beat out Ream for a WC spot...Besler is left footed like Ream, he is decent with the ball at his feet, can play out of the back instead of hoofing and is a little stronger in the air and a little faster... Besler's main strength is his positioning. He rarely gets caught out and would be a superb player for us if we did not already have a bunch of left footed CBs... I think he would be a good squad player in the Prem and starter for the bottom few clubs.

JK's choice means nothing when comparing the two players. Ream didn't get a look because JK said that players needed to play in their country's top flight -- unless they played in Germany, in which case you could play in the 4th tier and still get picked for Brazil. Ream was never on his radar any more than Spector was.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

btings

I am so excited that the US has come far enough in international football to have our own sketchily-sourced transfer articles!

"Matt Besler prefers to stay with Sporting Kansas City, source says"
http://www.kansascity.com/sports/mls/sporting-kc/article756509.html

ToodlesMcToot

Quote from: btings on July 18, 2014, 05:12:31 AM
I am so excited that the US has come far enough in international football to have our own sketchily-sourced transfer articles!

Saw the same thing from NBCSports on twitter. They may be guessing but it sounds like Mr HatterDon will be sticking around a while longer.

Don, I'd start getting used to the idea of an American in and around the first team. You just know Khan will want to foster the US connection.
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude

HatterDon

Quote from: ToodlesMcToot on July 18, 2014, 01:17:41 PM
Quote from: btings on July 18, 2014, 05:12:31 AM

Saw the same thing from NBCSports on twitter. They may be guessing but it sounds like Mr HatterDon will be sticking around a while longer.

Don, I'd start getting used to the idea of an American in and around the first team. You just know Khan will want to foster the US connection.

until that time, good sir; until that time
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

YankeeJim

If all Besler is making is $200k a year he would be an idiot not to move. The third keeper makes more than that in merry old England.
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

harrison.crow

I'm a fan of Besler and wouldn't hate him coming to SW16, but we need help centrally. Hopefully we can put this all behind us and focus on something besides CB's and Striking options and the real task of finding some depth in the middle of the park. 
Danny Murphy: the last action hero of the Fulham premiership era.

btings

Quote from: harrison.crow on July 18, 2014, 05:26:40 PM
I'm a fan of Besler and wouldn't hate him coming to SW16, but we need help centrally. Hopefully we can put this all behind us and focus on something besides CB's and Striking options and the real task of finding some depth in the middle of the park. 

Harrison Crow! Awesome to see you posting here.

Denver Fulham

Offering Besler 10K a week would quadruple his salary. He/MLS/KC are just waiting for a better offer.

BarryP

Quote from: Denver Fulham on July 18, 2014, 07:36:32 PM
Offering Besler 10K a week would quadruple his salary. He/MLS/KC are just waiting for a better offer.

$10K * 52 weeks = $520K / $200K = 2.6 times before renogotiations or am I missing something?
"Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never--in nothing, great or small, large or petty--never give in, except to convictions of honor and good sense."

hovewhite

Would prefer an c.m myself as we are well covered c.h wise.

btings

Quote from: BarryP on July 18, 2014, 09:00:03 PM
Quote from: Denver Fulham on July 18, 2014, 07:36:32 PM

$10K * 52 weeks = $520K / $200K = 2.6 times before renogotiations or am I missing something?

£10k/week is closer to $800k/yr.