watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Fox Sports guy claiming that Hodgson "99% certain to leave for Liverpool"

Started by NorthernWhite, June 15, 2010, 05:25:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NorthernWhite

Can any of our US fans pass comment on Nick Webster and if he's been right before? Could well be the usual made up BS but he seems pretty sure.

Hopefully one way or another this will be put to bed shortly and with Roy being on BBC tomorrow or the day after, I'm sure he'll be asked the direct question.

http://www.premiershiptalk.com/2010/06/15/hodgson-could-make-liverpool-switch/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+PremiershipTalk+%28Premiership+Talk%29

Fulham's heroic manager Roy Hodgson could be on the verge of a switch to Liverpool this summer. Hodgson has impressed fans and boards alike with his successful rebuilding of a Fulham side that were threatened by relegation just a few years ago, and with former Liverpool manager Rafa Benitez now at Inter Milan it could open the door for a move for Hodgson.

Fox Soccer correspondent Nick Webster revealed on his Twitter yesterday that he "just heard from a very reliable source that Hodgson is 99% the next Liverpool manager – a new era." When questioned about his sources, Webster revealed that he was informed by a "club employee who wants to remain nameless."

Hodgson has been linked with the Liverpool vacancy since the end of the season, and following the Europa League final that his team lost in heartbreaking fashion a few of the players spoke out. One of which was Clint Dempsey, the American international that has flourished under Hodgson, who insisted that Hodgson deserves the move if the opportunity arises.

"If the coach wants to be there he will be there," said Dempsey.

"He has to do the best for him and his family.

"It is not something I can worry about. I am with Fulham for three more years and I will do my best for them until something happens.

"If he wants to stay, let him stay. If he wants to go, let him go."

Fulham Pats Fan

Nick Webster is on Fox Football Fone In on Fox Soccer Channel. I have no idea if he has made predictions like this before.

When I just saw this it made me concerned. I guess we are just going to have to wait.

Let's hope he is wrong.

JBH

Since when has a septic tank let the truth get in the way of a good story?

They still think that they won in Vietnam for christ's sake.

My source at MP (usually extremely good) say's that Roy is staying unless the England job becomes available because he sees the Liverpool job as an unattainable situation at this current time and doesn't want the hassel that comes with it.

AlFayedsChequebook

anytime someone says that it is a source who 'wishes to remain nameless' it means that whatever the source says needs to be taken with a pinch of salt.

SoCalJoe

Quote from: JBH on June 15, 2010, 05:33:00 PM
Since when has a septic tank let the truth get in the way of a good story?

They still think that they won in Vietnam for christ's sake.

My source at MP (usually extremely good) say's that Roy is staying unless the England job becomes available because he sees the Liverpool job as an unattainable situation at this current time and doesn't want the hassel that comes with it.

Webster is English not American, but since he's lived here awhile surely he thinks like the rest of us that Vietnam is the 52nd state (Puerto Rico is 51)  :dft012:

He generally keeps his predictions to matches and final tables, and like most pundits he's average at best. To I believe he has a source at Liverpool? Yes. Do I think the source is credible? NO
You can observe a lot by just watching.

tingtawng

we'll have to see how it pans out ,who knows what Roy will do . if there is a massive wedge he could be tempted . Mo had better have a standby as the pool of managers is ltd
IN SVEN VE TVUST

tingtawng

Roy Hodgson: Give me the Liverpool job before I go to the World Cup

By Joe Bernstein
Last updated at 12:38 PM on 13th June 2010
Comments (0)
Add to My Stories

Roy Hodgson will head out to the World Cup this week still waiting to hear whether he is going to be offered one of the biggest jobs in English football and become Liverpool boss.

The Fulham manager has made it clear to the Anfield hierarchy that he wants his future sorted out before he begins a stint as a pundit in South Africa.

Man in waiting: Roy Hodgson is putting pressure on Liverpool to appoint him as boss

Hodgson, who took Fulham to the Europa League final last season, feared he was being kept in reserve as Liverpool failed to attract a world-renowned coach such as Louis van Gaal, Guus Hiddink or Marcello Lippi.

But with a growing bandwagon of support for Kenny Dalglish, Liverpool have realised they must move quickly to stop themselves being pressurised into appointing the Scot.

They plan talks with 62-year-old Hodgson in the next 48 hours, while Aston Villa's Martin O'Neill could also be sounded out. Hodgson is due to fly to South Africa on Wednesday to work as a World Cup pundit for the BBC and Fulham hope Liverpool's hesitation will let them hang on to a manager who has turned them from relegation candidates to European finalists in less than three years.

A friend said: 'Why would Roy want to undertake a massive rebuilding job at Liverpool when they might lose Fernando Torres, Steven Gerrard and Javier Mascherano?

Rubbing his hands together: Rafa Benitez will attempt to lure some of his former Liverpool players to Inter Milan

'Bill Shankly was only 42 when he went into Anfield - Roy's 20 years older than that. He is comfortable living in the south and has been active in arranging all of the club's pre-season friendlies.'

The key to Hodgson's future may depend on whether he believes he is the undisputed No1 choice at Anfield. Taking charge of one of Europe's traditional giants is an undoubted temptation for the current Manager of the Year. But he knows Liverpool are turning to him because other stellar names are not prepared to take up the challenge while the club are not in the Champions League.

To complicate matters, many fans want to see Dalglish in charge and past players have been queuing up to support his claims, to the irritation of some powerbrokers at the club.

Fulham would not be able to demand massive compensation for Hodgson, who signed a rolling one-year contract in March. But they hope the turmoil at Anfield will persuade him to have second thoughts.

Liverpool have been put up for sale by owners Tom Hicks and George Gillett, and a £350million debt is likely to curb spending unless key players are sold.

Former boss Rafa Benitez, now at Inter Milan, hopes to take advantage by swooping for Mascherano, Dirk Kuyt and Serbia midfielder Milan Jovanovic, who signed an agreement to join Liverpool from Standard Liege.

Some at Anfield prefer Hodgson to Dalglish, seeing him as the safe pair of hands needed to bring stability after a turbulent year. But others are concerned that Hodgson's only experience at such a big club came more than a decade ago with Inter Milan.
IN SVEN VE TVUST

Lighthouse

Roy may decide to announce his staying at Fulham while at the World Cup for the BBC. We can hope anyway. Liverpool seem to be dragging their feet so Roy would do well not to be involved with a club that is splitting on many levels.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

SHADY1

My next door neighbours a scouser & Liverpool fan He was in Liverpool last weekend and when i saw him he asked me how I felt Roy would do at Liverpool ... I just laughed ... he recons the rumours on Merseyside are of all the names mentioned ROY IS the firm favourite.
Personally i'm surprised they think he's a big enough to  be offered the job..
we are Fulham stay realistic or be for ever disappointed ...

Jimbobob

:dft007:
Nick Webster  :037: also had us relegated the season of Sanchez and the great escape so I don't think he has a lot of credibility plus it is so easy to say this. He and his partner are Chelscum Liverpool big four fans and give almost no air time to any other club.
Who knows -I am inclinded in favor of Roy staying but crap we don't know and I think he doesn't know either.
More fun watching  N Korea frustrate Brazil...........
"You don't want to be trapped inside with me sunshine. Inside, I'm somebody nobody wants to love with do you understand?

TheDon

Tonywa

Quote from: TheDon on June 15, 2010, 09:16:11 PM
i doubt senderos would have signed if roy was off

In fairness I hardly imagine Roy would have confided in a player he was about to sign, particularly if any potential move to Liverpool was nowhere near certain.

TW

TheDon

Quote from: Tonywa on June 15, 2010, 09:39:28 PM

In fairness I hardly imagine Roy would have confided in a player he was about to sign, particularly if any potential move to Liverpool was nowhere near certain.

TW

fair enough, but surely a player wants to know who the manager will be

finnster01

Quote from: SHADY1 on June 15, 2010, 07:21:49 PM
My next door neighbours a scouser & Liverpool fan...
Very sorry to hear that Mr Shady. My condolences. Do you still have any socks left?
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

Ichabod Magoo

Quote from: NorthernWhite on June 15, 2010, 05:25:28 PM
Fox Soccer correspondent Nick Webster revealed on his Twitter yesterday that he "just heard from a very reliable source that Hodgson is 99% the next Liverpool manager – a new era." When questioned about his sources, Webster revealed that he was informed by a "club employee who wants to remain nameless."

The source had a broom in his hand as he was sweeping the hallway outside a conference room where the secretaries were having tea.  Now that's a reliable source!    :031:
If your nose runs and your feet smell, you must have been born upside down. ~ Chudley Rippington III

Rupert

Now, I'm not going to be stupid enough to say Roy is definately staying, nor to tempt fate by speculating that he might not stay, but in all these reports of him wanting the Liverpool job or wanting his future sorted before he goes to South Africa or whatever, the main item of interest for me has been the complete lack of any quote from the great man himself.

The article above headlines Roy Hodgson: Give me the Liverpool job before I go to the World Cup, yet the only quote (and that actually goes against the main headline) is from "a friend". Is this journalistic licence, or just someone with column inches to fill and not much to write about? Time will tell, of course.

Do Liverpool want him? Sounds like it. Is Roy interested? Well he probably does want to hear what they have to offer, but that is a long way from wanting the job. How long is 48 hours? Well over a week, so far, as Liverpool would be contacting Roy within the next 48 hours ever since last Monday. maybe their clocks have stopped or something.
Any fool can criticise, condemn and complain, and most fools do.

RidgeRider

Quote from: Jimbobob18 on June 15, 2010, 08:35:00 PM
:dft007:
Nick Webster  :037: also had us relegated the season of Sanchez and the great escape so I don't think he has a lot of credibility plus it is so easy to say this. He and his partner are Chelscum Liverpool big four fans and give almost no air time to any other club.
Who knows -I am inclinded in favor of Roy staying but crap we don't know and I think he doesn't know either.
More fun watching  N Korea frustrate Brazil...........

This is true, but I had us relegated as well.  :029:

I think Nick is an Arsenal fan but he never shows cards directly. His show caters to the Big4 cause there are so many Big 4 fans and I agree with we really don't know.

Burt

Keep the faith my fellow FOFers.

Kenny is getting the Liverpool job.

Tonywa

Quote from: TheDon on June 15, 2010, 09:41:12 PM
Quote from: Tonywa on June 15, 2010, 09:39:28 PM

TW

fair enough, but surely a player wants to know who the manager will be

Sure, but there can never be a guarantee and a player  would assume that Roy is to remain manager until he is told otherwise.   Let's kep hoping for it would be very bad news for us if he left.

TW