watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Alan Mullery on Talk Sport

Started by spikey norman, July 20, 2014, 11:26:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spikey norman

For those of you still awake Alan Mullery on Talk Sport talking about Fulham memories
Lovely insight of our cup run
Still on now and talking of many other memories

RaySmith

Yes, great memories - from a Fulham legend, whom I was lucky to see play for us in both periods he was with us, including leading us to our only FA Cup Final.

His memories in the interview include a period when he and his wife were so skint they'd decided to commit suicide by him shooting them both  with a shotgun -but he  stopped at the last minute.

Shocking, when you think of the money today's top players earn -but it hasn't always been that way for players -whose playing career ends around thirty.

Finding religion helped Alan and his wife get through apparently, and now he seems to be doing OK.

Holders

Quote from: RaySmith on July 21, 2014, 06:06:39 AM

Finding religion helped Alan and his wife get through apparently, and now he seems to be doing OK.

Ah, that explains why Mullery is god.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

bog

Alan was a top top player for us. I saw his first debut, so much enthusiasm, a true great for us. I was really upset when he left for Spurs. I read his autobiography so am well aware of his periods of acute hardship. After Johnny Haynes he was our second best ever captain. I am a little surprised there are not more comments about Alan.   

092.gif       

Holders

The wall opposite the Putney turnstiles said it all for decades.

cmg

He's not everyone's cup of tea, and he's always had the reputation for being outspoken, but is an important figure in the club's history. Important in playing a big part in getting us into Div1 (as was) and in establishing us there, important in the part he played in the great Cup adventure and in persuading Mooro to finish up with us. The covering over the Hammersmith End was financed by his sale to Spurs.

He has relevance today as he was one of very few players to have debuted at 17 and established himself immediately, after his first game only injury ever kept him out of the team. His transfer to Spurs was as big a shock to him as it was to everybody else. He found it hard going at first at Tottenham, the fan's didn't take to his robust, energetic style especially as he replaced the stylish, almost delicate Danny Blanchflower. Eventually he became an idol there too

spikey norman

When I was a student back in the 70's I spent a week (75/76 season) at the club doing a placement for my thesis (still have the hand written invitation from Alec Stock)
On the Monday that I arrived I was invited to go to an office upstairs in the Cottage not knowing what to expect.As the door opened I was met by Alec and Alan in a smoke filled room (Alec was a pipe smoker) and spent over an hour chatting to the two of them about all things Fulham and some non footballing matters.
To say I was awe struck was to put it mildly but both Alec and  Alan were lovely to talk to,great banter between the two and really made me feel at ease.
Meeting the two of them and spending a great week at the club being with all the players is a memory I will always remember.
Alan was a top player but what a manager Alec was for us , one of our best in my opinion.
Only thing that went a bit sour was that Alan apparently was promised the managers job by Alec once he left only for Alec to change his mind and someone else got the job.
Alan was not happy

jeremyfulham

I think both Alec & Alan were shafted by the board .

cmg

Quote from: jeremyfulham on July 22, 2014, 07:54:10 AM
I think both Alec & Alan were shafted by the board .

I think that's pretty much the size of it - although, of course, they were not alone in that!

Mullery was sold off without informing him until after and Stock was too wise a bird to want to get involved with crooks, so we lost one of our best ever managers.

Fernhurst

Outspoken ? ...... and some!!

I remember a pre season friendly at Aldershot where Alan was following Alec along the touch line when some Aldershot worthies decided to have some friendly banter...... Well if they ever...... Mullery gave them both barrels .... Do you C..... think you are going to win tonight... F... Off you c....... No f...... Chance

As an long time admirer of Alan but well used to industrial language I still felt shocked.

When was that game ?

The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

jarv

In his second spell at the club, his playing style and leadership dominated the middle of the park.  I remember in one game, not sure who was in possession, might have been Les Barrett, he literally shoved him off the ball, took possession and made a great forward pass. I guess he saw a situation which his team mate didn't.

robert

Mullery my all time Fulham favourite player-I saw Haynes last few appearances for us, but at the tail end of his career so Mullery top for me.Can't even think of another who comes close to him.

Holders

Quote from: jarv on July 22, 2014, 01:03:08 PM
In his second spell at the club, his playing style and leadership dominated the middle of the park.  I remember in one game, not sure who was in possession, might have been Les Barrett, he literally shoved him off the ball, took possession and made a great forward pass. I guess he saw a situation which his team mate didn't.

Or possibly Lloyd?

fulhamcookie

Against Leicester in the league cup in 74 I think, the ball went out for a Fulham corner, he caught the ball to take the corner and the whole away section shouted handball, to which he turned gave the 2 fingered salute and shouted b******s. This was the same match he scored the goal of the season with that cracking volley that Shilton got nowhere near

bill taylors apprentice

One of my all time favourites.
I spoke to him at the end of the 75/76 season and our mutual friend, Bill Taylor had just left and Mullers had the offer of a coaching job and was looking forward to taking over when Stock retied.

spikey norman

Quote from: bill taylors apprentice on July 22, 2014, 02:27:24 PM
I spoke to him at the end of the 75/76 season and our mutual friend, Bill Taylor had just left and Mullers had the offer of a coaching job and was looking forward to taking over when Stock retied.

Bill Taylor looked after me during my week at Fulham.He was a really nice bloke and the first ( and only?) Scotsman to coach the England team

bill taylors apprentice

Quote from: spikey norman on July 22, 2014, 03:02:57 PM
Quote from: bill taylors apprentice on July 22, 2014, 02:27:24 PM

Bill Taylor looked after me during my week at Fulham.He was a really nice bloke and the first ( and only?) Scotsman to coach the England team

I was still at school when Bill arrived at FFC and he was due to move into a club house but due to the state of it left by the previous tenant (Vic Halom, I recall) he needed somewhere convenient to stay for a few weeks.
My Dad was asked in his local by someone connected to the club if he knew of anywhere and he offered my bed room as we lived in Kingwood rd.
As you say, he was a really nice bloke, and still popped in occasionally after he moved in to the house, also took me to training a couple of times and at the end of the season gave me a shirt Bobby Moore had played in.
We lost touch after he moved to Man City and often think he would have gone on to big things in coaching if he had not been taken early by cancer and in some ways he has been a forgotten man.      

SP

Quote from: Holders on July 21, 2014, 07:35:28 PM
The wall opposite the Putney turnstiles said it all for decades.

I arrived early for the Rotherham game so, to kill time, I was trying to remember where this was written.  I mistakenly thought it was by the Hammersmith End.  Not sure who we'd consider to be god these days?

HillingdonFFC

Listened to him talking to Danny Kelly on My Sporting Life last week. Never wanted to leave Fulham, was basically told he was sold to Spurs, get your stuff ,seeya later.
Think he lost a bit of affection for Fulham when they shafted him regarding the managers job. He was promised it when he returned, think there was a bit of resentment from him which alienated a few Fulham fans

Ffc sw4

Mullery is God, was written on the  wall outside the stevenage /Johnny Haynes stand ,opposite h block
And I second the above ,Alan was a  legend  and there will be a never be a fulham player  of his standing
Also has a great shot ,especially at free kicks