more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Monday Fulham Stuff (21/07/14)...

Started by WhiteJC, July 21, 2014, 08:20:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Trio to Stay

Despite the media suggesting otherwise, it would appear that Felix Magath intends to hang onto a trio of those tipped to leave Craven Cottage.

Apparently, with the media dropping heavy hints that Bryan Ruiz, Kostas Mitroglou and Ashkan Dejagah will all be moving on, Felix Magath has issued words to the contrary, remarking to the media,

"Those three are part of the future."

Now are those words you wanted to hear or do they disappoint you?

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=364052#ixzz385Lf7cUb

WhiteJC

Kostas' Assessment

Fulham's new goal-scoring left-back was pleased with his side's 2-0 win at Crawley Town, but insists the Whites will get better.

Kostas Stafylidis followed up his strike at Motherwell last week by opening the scoring at the Checkatrade.com Stadium on Saturday with a brilliantly taken effort from a tight angle.

The 20-year-old then provided the cross for Hugo Rodallega to make it 2-0 and was a constant threat down the left flank, despite the humid conditions, whilst providing a responsible level of defensive stability when the home side were on the attack.

"I'm very happy because I scored and I made one assist," Stafylidis told fulhamfc.com when asked for his assessment of the friendly fixture. "My team won and I hope in the next games we can do the same.

"When I have space I like to go in front and attack but the most important thing is to stay behind because I play left-back and the first job for me is to defend.

"We had very good situations on the pitch and we used the ball very well – our Manager helped us from the touchline. We're working hard every day and in the next games we'll be better."

The air was sticky in Crawley on Saturday, with the temperature hitting around 26 degrees Celsius, but while Stafylidis admitted it was uncomfortable on the pitch at times, he believes his side have the fitness to cope with such conditions.

He stated: "It was difficult for the players because it was too hot and it was difficult for us to breathe sometimes. But the referee stopped the game after about 35 minutes to give us a bit of recovery.

"I'm feeling fit, I'm feeling strong. We've been training hard with two or three sessions every day and as time passes everyone is going to get better."

In what was their sole pre-season friendly on English soil, the Whites were backed by 1,712 travelling supporters at Broadfield – more than half the total attendance.

The Fulham faithful were vociferous throughout the 90 minutes and Stafylidis is keen to repay their support with results on the pitch, stating: "There were a lot of fans and this is good for us because they give us power and when we play games we try to win for them."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2014/july/20/kostas-assessment?

WhiteJC

Who will line up for Ipswich versus Fulham?

The start of the new season is now only three weeks away and the atmosphere around Ipswich Town is certainly positive. Town boss Mick McCarthy has stated that the whole squad will start with a clean slate, indicating that any player coming into form through the pre-season period will enhance their chance of starting in the first eleven when competitive play gets underway. Two friendlies have already been and gone, a 4-0 win over in Ireland, at Shelbourne, and a 0-0 draw on more familiar turf, at home to Premiership outfit West Ham, so is it possible to start guessing who will line up in a blue shirt on the 9th August, at home to Fulham?

Starting in goal, the strong candidate to start is Dean Gerken. Playing 39 times in a Town shirt last season, and making the number one shirt his own in front of Town fan and ex-England Under-21 international, Scott Loach, it would be a sensible bet that Gerks will start between the sticks once more. Loach has since moved on from the club, transferring to newly promoted Rotherham United, with former Notts County keeper, and once Town loanee, Bartosz Bialkowski finally signing for a small undisclosed fee. Bialkowski played in the friendly against West Ham and pulled off an acrobatic save, much to the admiration of the home crowd, but it looks likely that Bialkowski will have to wait for his chance despite his intentions of not sitting on the bench.

Looking at the defence and it would be very surprising if McCarthy mixed it up from the success of the back four last season. Obviously, Aaron Cresswell has left the club, despite playing at Portman Road during the week, in West Ham colours, so who will replace him at left back? Tyrone Mings on many occasions has been backed by McCarthy to stand up and replace Cresswell whenever the ex-Tranmere man was to move on, but Jonathan Parr, a free signing from Crystal Palace, will be very unlucky to miss out on the starting eleven considering his international experience for his native Norway. The centre-back positions pick themselves, and should injury hinder neither player, then Tommy Smith and Christophe Berra shall surely start. Finally there is the right-back position. The favourite must be Luke Chambers, club captain. It is possible however that youngster, Elliot Hewitt, may return from his loan spell out at Gillingham last season. He should play a larger role this season, but August may come too soon, unlike last season, for the former Macclesfield full-back.

The midfield poses the biggest headache where team selection is concerned. Without any new signings, it looks as if Cole Skuse and Luke Hyam will renew their centre midfield partnership. Towards the end of the last campaign, McCarthy used then Crystal Palace loanee Jonny Williams, or Joniesta, behind the striker, and he may want to find a player to fill that role once more, with Williams looking very unlikely to return to the club. Anthony Wordsworth could be a player who could take up the position. A player who has creative spark, and is not afraid to play the ball forwards, Wordsworth could finally play a larger role in the squad since his small fee transfer from local rivals Colchester United, having signed in January 2013. Looking in the wide positions, both Cameron Stewart and Stephen Hunt have signed contracts this summer, with the latter having already played for the club last season. Stewart has the ability to run at a player and hug the touchline, something that Town fans have been dying to see in a winger for a long, long time. Hunt however is a McCarthy-style player, a real battler who will throw himself in the action, scrapping to win the ball at all costs. Paul Anderson has played a full season in an Ipswich shirt now and is somewhat of an unsung player. Providing defensive cover for Luke Chambers, who is naturally a centre-back, the wide midfielder often warmed the bench last season, despite chipping in with goals.

The striking positions should be filled by last season's top scorers, David McGoldrick and Daryl Murphy. However, McGoldrick is returning from a long-term injury, and it is looking increasingly unlikely that he may not make the start of the season. Therefore, either Frank Nouble or Paul Taylor look likely to go upfront and partner Murphy. Nouble finished the previous season in strong form, changing the perspectives of many fans who had once seen him as lazy. Taylor had been transfer-listed at the same time, although he has managed to wriggle his way back into his manager's plans, looking in red-hot form in training on several YouTube videos. A similar player to McGoldrick, it could be Taylor's chance to prove his £1.5 million transfer tag. Youngster Jack Marriott could also feature, although similarly to Elliott Hewitt, the young striker will probably be more involved with the squad as the season goes on.

McCarthy will almost definitely add to his squad before August 9th, with the wide and striking positions most likely to be strengthened, although if Town are to field a 4-4-2 formation, I think the following will start against Fulham, barring no squad changes:

Ipswich (4-4-2); Gerken, Chambers (c), Berra, Smith, Parr, Anderson, Skuse, Hyam, Stewart, Murphy, Taylor.

© e-Football 2014 All rights reserved no part of this document or this website may be reproduced without consent of e-Football

http://efootballnet.blogspot.co.uk/2014/07/who-will-line-up-for-town-versus-fulham.html

WhiteJC

Barnsley eye veteran defender

Barnsley are keen on experienced defender Zat Knight, according to Sports Mole.

The thirty-four year old has been a free agent since his release from Bolton at the end of the season, and is catching interest of numerous clubs with Barnsley in particular.

It's rumoured that several Major League Soccer clubs are chasing the centre back, but Danny Wilson is hoping he chooses Oakwell over the bright lights of the USA, despite their recent relegation to League One.

The former England international has a lot of experience in the English top flight, playing for clubs such as Fulham, Aston Villa and several seasons with his former club, Bolton, before they were relegated to the Championship in 2012.

Danny Wilson is hoping he can make a solid Tykes side, which will see them make a superior return to playing Championship football.

Knight's career kicked off in 1999, when he signed for Fulham and made one hundred and fifty appearances at Craven Cottage, scoring four goals.

In 2007, after eight years with Fulham, Knight then went on to play for Aston Villa, making forty appearances and scoring twice.

He then made the switch to sign for Gary Megson's Bolton Wanderers in 2009 after two seasons at Villa Park.

Whilst at the Trotters, he made one hundred and sixty-eight appearances, finding the net on four occasions.

The defender was part of the England first team in 2005, when he made two appearances.

http://footballleagueworld.co.uk/barnsley-eye-veteran-defender/?

WhiteJC

Dons edged out by Fulham

AFC Wimbledon Under-18s produced a performance in defeat that augers well for the future as they pushed Fulham all the way yesterday.

The young Dons were eventually beaten 4-2 after they had threatened to earn a share of the spoils when Dan Agyei (pictured) put them within a goal with six minutes to play. Despite Fulham sealing victory right at the death, it failed to take the shine off an encouraging pre-season display from Wimbledon's youngsters.

Fulham are renowned as one of the best academies in the country after winning the Barclays Under-18 Premier League title three seasons in succession and reaching the FA Youth Cup Final last season.

Buoyed by a prolific pre-season so far, Wimbledon marched into the lead at Motspur Park after just a minute when Agyei drove through the Fulham ranks and set-up Egli Kaja, who finished clinically. That produced a spirited response from the hosts and they restored parity in the seventh minute when they caught out Wimbledon from a set-piece.

Fulham seized the initiative after that and earned a lead their fightback perhaps deserved. However, Wimbledon started to produce the attacking flair that had been such a feature of their pre-season. Callum Overton, Kaja and Agyei all came close to equalising after good moves, but the Dons went in 2-1 down at half-time.

With Overton and Agyei continuing to look dangerous after the break, Wimbledon were causing Fulham problems. Under-18s manager Mark Robinson then decided to offer experience of taking on quality opposition to young scholars Alfie Egan, Dan Anu, Reece Batchelor, Jason Stripp and college player Ian Smith. Those changes failed to disrupt Wimbledon's rhythm and they produced their move of the match with six quick passes exchanged before Stripp released Anu, but the ball got stuck under his feet after he'd left players trailing in his wake.

Fulham appeared to have killed off Wimbledon's challenge when they earned a 3-1 lead with 15 minutes to play, but the visitors refused to give up. They were back in the game in style when Callum Wilson produced a wonderful long pass that picked out Agyei and he turned inside and produced a superb curler into the bottom corner from 18 yards.

Though Wimbledon conceded again with virtually the last kick, they emerged with credit from an entertaining match.

Mark Robinson said: "We had this fixture pencilled in for a while and we decided to go toe to toe with Fulham so that it gave us an indication of where we are as a group. Apart from the first 15 minutes, I was very pleased with the outcome. The statistics show that apart from the first 15 minutes we edged possession and more importantly we created quite a few good chances. Of course, Fulham showed plenty of quality, but I can't remember them carving us open too often.

"It's clear to me now what we need to do better, but we're doing a lot of things very well and we have the ability to punch above our weight. It was our first defeat in 16 games, but I feel that the boys are in a very good place and nothing should hold any fears for them in the future."

Callum Wilson earned the man of the match award for Wimbledon.

Read more at http://www.afcwimbledon.co.uk/news/article/young-dons-v-fulham-1771218.aspx#gTCz3kLKfDfvrv8S.99

WhiteJC

Stafylidis hopes fellow Greece star Mitroglou stays at Fulham

Defender wants countryman to remain at Craven Cottage and aid Premier League push

Kostas Stafylidis hopes fellow Greek international Kostas Mitroglou will stay at Fulham and help fire them back to the Premier League.

Mitroglou, who has managed just a handful of appearances since arriving at Craven Cottage for £12million in January, is a target for Turkish side Beskitas.

But left-back Stafylidis, who impressed and scored in Fulham's 2-0 pre-season win at Crawley on Saturday, wants the striker to remain with the Whites as they aim to bounce back from relegation to the Championship.

He said: "Of course [I hope he stays}. He's a great guy and speaks my language.

"I think last year he had a problem with injury and hopefully he can come back better and help our team.

The duo have only played together once - in a friendly for Greece against Ireland in November 2012 - but Stafylidis believes his fellow countryman can do a job for Felix Magath's side.

Stafylidis, who has joined Fulham on a season-long loan from Bayer Leverkusen, added: "For me he is a good player and I think if he works hard then for me he is one of the best strikers in Greece.

"I think it's been difficult for him coming to England and I think this year he try more and I hope he will help our team."

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/stafylidis-hopes-fellow-greece-star-7462712?

WhiteJC

NEWCASTLE UNITED COULD BENEFIT FROM SIGNING THIS EX-FULHAM MAN

There has already been plenty of transfer activity at St. James' Park this summer, with Mathieu Debuchy leaving and six players coming through the doors.

Daryl Janmaat is the only defender amongst these new arrivals, however, and he will be a straight replacement for the French international at right-back.

Just five teams conceded more Premier League goals than Newcastle last season, so this is clearly an area of the team that still needs addressing:

Fabricio Coloccini, Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa, Mike Williamson and Steven Taylor are the options currently available to Alan Pardew at centre-back, meaning that there is certainly room for improvement.

Mike Ashley may like to buy them cheap and sell for a profit, but he is not one to turn his nose up at a bargain.

With that in mind, perhaps the club should take a look at this experienced free agent?

BREDE HANGELAND
Whilst 33-year-old Brede Hangeland is no spring chicken, he has never really been reliant on his pace.

The giant Norwegian international has made his living on towering defensive performances, relishing the physical battle with opposition forwards.

Linked with a move to Arsenal in the none-too-distant past, it is amazing to see that he has not yet been snapped up this summer.

Perhaps this has something to do with his acrimonious split from Fulham, with the player releasing the following statement about the cancellation of his contract:

"I was told of this decision via email."

"After six-and-a-half years of hard work and loyalty, and having served the last few years as captain, I am immensely disappointed at how this was handled."

"I believe I still have much to offer as a footballer and look forward to the next chapter in my career."

Whatever the reason, his Premier League numbers certainly stack up:

Not many players can say that they have helped to keep 65 clean sheets in the top division of English football.

THOUGHTS
Signing Hangeland would clearly not be a long-term solution to the Magpies' defensive woes, though he could do a job for the next couple of years.

In addition to bringing vast experience and a commanding physical presence, the Norwegian would also help to organise things at the back.

Would the former Fulham man be a good signing? Who are the alternatives? What would represent a successful season for Newcastle in 2014/15?

http://www.kickoff.co.uk/22325/newcastle-could-benefit-from-signing-this-ex-fulham-man/?

WhiteJC

Magath hopeful of keeping World Cup trio in the Championship

Felix Magath has claimed that he is hopeful of keeping hold of all three of his World Cup stars, with his intention being to start the season with Kostas Mitroglou, Bryan Ruiz and Ashkan Dejagah in his squad.

The trio all impressed during the World Cup this summer for Greece, Costa Rica and Iran respectively, with Ruiz in particular catching the eye with his match-winning performance against Italy the pick of Fulham's representation in Brazil.

Arsenal are contemplating making a bid for Ruiz after being impressed with his performances for Costa Rica in their surprise march to the quarter-finals of the tournament, while there has been interest from numerous parties both in the Premier League and abroad in Mitroglou and Dejagah.

No bids have been tabled for any of their stars however and Magath is confident that he will still be able to call upon them when the Championship season gets underway on August 9th, as Fulham look to bounce back to the Premier Leageu at the first attempt.

Magath told Get West London, "The players need a rest.

"They have three weeks holiday (after the World Cup). Dejagah and Mitroglou are due back on Sunday and Ruiz is coming back next week.

"I am sure they will still be with us in September."

http://www.squawka.com/news/magath-hopeful-of-keeping-world-cup-trio/144661?