https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Steven Gerrard: England captain quits international football

Started by sunburywhite, July 21, 2014, 04:43:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sunburywhite

I thought he gave up playing for England years ago

Never done it on the International stage for me
Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me

Barry White

Not sure about never, he's done his bit. Was our best player in South Africa, not saying much I know!

He is another in a long line of England players that could have been great but sadly amounted to nothing.

Can't entirely blame Gerrard, due to his ability he was played out of position a lot to accommodate players with less talent that couldn't be played anywhere but there preferred position.

Definitely time to move on and he certainly won't be missed based on the last 2-4 years.

Sammyffc

i find it quite frustrating when people say stuff such as '' i thought he retired years ago'' . Its just such a typical english thing to do. Never ever give credit for 14 years of service and 113 caps . But immediately respond to the news with negative things to say. I noticed it on every single piece of social networking since he announced his retirement. He won't be missed due to his recent performances, but regardless steven gerrard was always the one for me who played with his heart of his sleeve and deserves all the credit he gets for his service to the England national team.

Nero

any news on Jordan Hendersons retirement, that would have me cheering

Nick Bateman

Good riddance!  Should never have been made captain.  Do not confuse Gerrard's psycho "red mist" moments with showing heart.  He was a sloppy player who lost his 'rag' when up against it!
Nick Bateman "knows his footie"

blingo

westcliff white

He always played in the centre we moved schoolers to accomodate him. He had 2 options in his mind a long ball forward or to shoot. For me glad he is gone
Every day is a Fulham day

JBH

Always overated just like Beckham and Lampard they weren't so much the golden generation more like the overhyped generation :028:

Blanco

I think even though he hasn't won anything for England he's still a massive part of the history of the English national team. Top player. Has to retire sometime though and now is probably right.

People can't blame gerard for the fact he hasn't won anything for England. He's one great player but that's not enough. You need a great team and we don't have one.

Deanothefulhamfan

Gerrard was a great servant, and a great player on his day. It is the right time to retire, but he was one of the best players to wear the England shirt in the past 10 years.

Roberty

We don't need to worry; Joey Barton announced that he was coming out of International retirement last week and would be available for selection by Roy.  064.gif
It could be better but it's real life and not a fantasy

alfie

Quote from: JBH on July 21, 2014, 06:06:50 PM
Always overated just like Beckham and Lampard they weren't so much the golden generation more like the overhyped generation :028:

I know this is your opinion and of course your entitlement to have it, but i am sorry i just don't understand comments like this, Lampard is one of the highest scoring midfielders this country has ever seen, is your view is based on that he plays(ed) for Chelsea?. In my most humble opinion he is certainly not overhyped/overated whatever suits.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

Holders

Probably the right time for Gerrard to go but could never doubt his commitment.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

stevehawkinslidingtackle

Best of luck to Steven Gerrard, who's retired from not winning the World Cup to concentrate on not winning the Premier League.

Fulham4Ever

Quote from: sunburywhite on July 21, 2014, 04:43:16 PM
I thought he gave up playing for England years ago

Never done it on the International stage for me

None of the England squads have 'done it for me' during my entire life, I'm 35 and England have won NOTHING

Came close in 1990 and 1996......1990 squad was probably the best IMO, but yet again didn't actually win anything.

The Premier League need to limit the amount of foreign players in each squad drastically.........until then England will not win another tournament !

Pluto

Surprised by the negativity. I'm sad he's retiring. Excellent player and a good professional- at his best he was unplayable. Admittedly he's declined slightly in recent years, but he's still by far and away the beta option we have in the middle of the park and the only proper leader in the squad. Who would you like to see Wilshere in central midfield and Rooney as captain? Because that's what we're stuck with now.

RaySmith

He's been a great player, and still is, who always gave of his best for England, though we all know that England team hasn't been the success that people expect.

All the best to him.

OldBrownShoe

Strewth Pluto is that the choice?!

Jordan Henderson was interviewed on SSN this morning about the chances of him becoming captain. Oh leave it out!

Just an afterthought to the recent World Cup tournament, most of the managers to the unsuccessful sides have quite properly fallen on their swords (or been nudged over the cliff ) but not 'our' Roy!
Johny's in the basement
Mixing up the medicine
I'm on the pavement
Thinking about the government
The man in the trench coat
Badge out, laid off
Says he's got a bad cough
Wants to get it paid off
Look out kid
It's somethin' you did
God knows when
But you're doin' it again
l

JBH

Quote from: alfie on July 22, 2014, 08:20:16 AM
Quote from: JBH on July 21, 2014, 06:06:50 PM

I know this is your opinion and of course your entitlement to have it, but i am sorry i just don't understand comments like this, Lampard is one of the highest scoring midfielders this country has ever seen, is your view is based on that he plays(ed) for Chelsea?. In my most humble opinion he is certainly not overhyped/overated whatever suits.

I am talking about his England career where he like Gerrard has always failed to produce his club form because at Chelsea I agree he has scored a lot of goals be it most of them speculative deflected shots  :005: