watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Stefan Payne didn't last too long, released already

Started by NorthernWhite, June 17, 2010, 04:43:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NorthernWhite

Gone to Gillscum after being released. Hopefully one (or both) of Hoesen and Trotta will make the grade.

http://www.kentonline.co.uk/kentonline/sport/2010/june/17/gills_targets.aspx

Andy Hessenthaler has completed his first signings of the season after landing teenage strikers Andy White and Stefan Payne.

The pair are both aged 19 and Gills manager Hessenthaler is looking to give them a new lease of life in League 2 following their release from higher division clubs.

White was released by Championship side Reading, having progressed through their academy, while Payne (pictured) has been let go by Premier League Fulham.

Hessenthaler said: "They've both got good potential and I'm hoping they are going to be a big part of pre-season and, who knows, they could be a big part of the season ahead if they stake their claim for a place in the side.

"I don't know too much about Andy so it's a bit of a flier but it's not a financial risk. We'll take the lad on and see if we can nurture him through."

Payne was a big hit in non-league and commanded a fee of around £25,000, along with some lucrative add-ons, when he moved from Sutton United to Roy Hodgson's Fulham .

"I think the jump from non-league was just too much for him and they decided to let him go despite having a year left on his contract," said Hessenthaler.

"I spoke to quite a few people about him and he's got massive potential."

Payne has signed a two year deal with the club, while White has completed a one year contract. Both with link up with the squad when pre-season training begins on July 1.

Fernhurst

How does that work??? If you are released with a year left on contract do the club pay up that year??

Anybody??

Rupert

I think it depends on whether or not you get another job, if nobody had picked him up we would have to pay him, not sure if that applies now Gillingham have him, unless we pay any difference in wages.
Any fool can criticise, condemn and complain, and most fools do.

finnster01

Unless there is some fine print in his contract, letting someone go with a year left on a written contract requires you (the company) to pay up the difference according to labor law.

Now the difference is if there is cause (i.e. he did something stupid that could get him fired).

I don't understand why they didn't just keep him around, because as stated above they still have to pay him (unless he did something), and maybe they could have shopped him around and got a penny or two.

I think there is more to this story than meets the eye, cause economically it does not make any sense at all.
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

TonyGilroy

Not necessarily. Maybe Payne got an offer from Gillingham that he'd rather take than stay with us given that he seems not to be good enough to succeed at our level.

finnster01

Quote from: TonyGilroy on June 17, 2010, 07:26:04 PM
Not necessarily. Maybe Payne got an offer from Gillingham that he'd rather take than stay with us given that he seems not to be good enough to succeed at our level.
Good point Mr Tony. If they offered up more money, he could just resign like everyone can but his license needs to be transferred and unless Fulham is OK with that, they would have to pay up or do something as Fulham owns his rights for another year. It is not like you can just walk into another office and take up a new job that is still under the auspices of FA and PFA.

I still think something is a bit dodgy there. Maybe he pissed off the coaches or something. Don't know, and don't really care, but Fulham don't normally just don't give "stuff" away

If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead