News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

We were rubbish but were Wolves any better?

Started by Jimpav, August 20, 2014, 10:47:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimpav

I was at the match and didn't think they offered much other than their one goal.

Very scrappy game and they didn't have a huge amount to show for a much older and experienced side.

For a men against boys match the kids held their own. Possession was split equally and neither side had more than a couple of meaningful shots.

McCormack looked unfit but I think he could be a real season changer if he gets a run of form together.

Roberts was easy on the eye and lit up the match at times. Doesn't lack any confidence and will be an asset if we hold onto him.

We desparately need Burn back in the side - wonder if someone has come in for him behind the scenes?

Still believe there is too much hysteria on here. We have lost each match by a single goal - this isn't the same as last season when we were regularly losing by three or more goals and throwing away leads.

YankeeJim

Won't argue with much of what you said but I can't help thinking that three games without goals has a lot more to do with the team selection than a lack of luck, as some have said. The losing team is always unlucky.  :016:
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

SouthWest6

All 3 sides, Ipswich, Millwall and now Wolves have been nothing special. The only difference being, is that they are all well structured, have a mixture of experience and youth, and managers that know the Championship. Ours on the other hand is a complete madman who keeps wanting to change the side every single game. I'll say it once again, using Fotheringham tonight was totally inexcusable!!

Jimpav

You are right about Fotheringham. I was scratching my head at that one. Surely everyone must have had a game now though and he must know his best line up.

It's frustrating as there is a lot of talent in our side but not sure if Felix knows how to get the best out of them.

SouthWest6

Quote from: Jimpav on August 20, 2014, 10:57:43 PM
You are right about Fotheringham. I was scratching my head at that one. Surely everyone must have had a game now though and he must know his best line up.

It's frustrating as there is a lot of talent in our side but not sure if Felix knows how to get the best out of them.

But he will still refuse to use Amor, Burn, Tunnicliffe, even Cole who has at least had time in the lower divisions. All these payers, including Hugo, need to be used regularly in the Championship to bring a bit of bite to our game. You won't win anything with the youngsters, including that Fotherigham. Sorry, but Magath has to go in my eyes, can't see him changing.  

just_another_day

Quote from: Jimpav on August 20, 2014, 10:57:43 PM

having talent and experience is two different things, we need to mix it up with talent and experience

The Rock

I saw shots on goal 2-1 Wolves. Something is wrong if we register one shot on goal in 90 mins + added time.

just_another_day

Quote from: The Rock on August 20, 2014, 11:03:03 PM
I saw shots on goal 2-1 Wolves. Something is wrong if we register one shot on goal in 90 mins + added time.
and at home

GrahamG

We were shocking. Wolves did enough to win. If you get the early goal (away from home particularly) and then sit on it with no alarms then that's pretty much a perfect situation. We were truly dreadful. Take Roberts out of the team and we had nothing. Felix is a clown!

mangoputney

I agree with your sentiment

However

Ipswich, Millwall, Wolves have all done a championship job on us
Shahid KHANT #losingisthenorm #youdontknowwhatyourdoing #MacOut #sustainablerelegation

RPhillips

Quote from: Jimpav on August 20, 2014, 10:47:09 PM
I was at the match and didn't think they offered much other than their one goal.

Very scrappy game and they didn't have a huge amount to show for a much older and experienced side.

For a men against boys match the kids held their own. Possession was split equally and neither side had more than a couple of meaningful shots.

McCormack looked unfit but I think he could be a real season changer if he gets a run of form together.

Roberts was easy on the eye and lit up the match at times. Doesn't lack any confidence and will be an asset if we hold onto him.

We desparately need Burn back in the side - wonder if someone has come in for him behind the scenes?

Still believe there is too much hysteria on here. We have lost each match by a single goal - this isn't the same as last season when we were regularly losing by three or more goals and throwing away leads.

Jim: are you sure you were at Craven Cottage last night? From my perspective (in the Riverside Stand), Wolves were organised, played with confidence and purpose, and generally outclassed us in terms of physicality, pace, and passing. We played like a bottom-half League 1 side -- which is where we are headed if we can't/don't get our collective act together pronto.

Your comment about 'men v. boys' is, I believe, both accurate -- and unfortunately, telling -- as it highlights the gap between FFC and the rest of the Championship; 'holding our own' is not a desirable outcome.

And, given the continuing downward direction of the club's overall prospects -- including the apparent inability of the board and/or Felix to put a competitive side on the pitch -- I don't think a bit of hysteria, as you call it, is misplaced.

Let's hope actions are taken proactively to get this club back on track.

Julius Geezer

The scary thing is not only are they beating us on the pitch - both clubs are heading in different directions.

Wolves sorted themselves out from a mess, we're doing the opposite.

Amazing what stability can do!

jms

Quote from: RPhillips on August 21, 2014, 10:49:04 AM

Jim: are you sure you were at Craven Cottage last night? From my perspective (in the Riverside Stand), Wolves were organised, played with confidence and purpose, and generally outclassed us in terms of physicality, pace, and passing. We played like a bottom-half League 1 side -- which is where we are headed if we can't/don't get our collective act together pronto.

Your comment about 'men v. boys' is, I believe, both accurate -- and unfortunately, telling -- as it highlights the gap between FFC and the rest of the Championship; 'holding our own' is not a desirable outcome.

And, given the continuing downward direction of the club's overall prospects -- including the apparent inability of the board and/or Felix to put a competitive side on the pitch -- I don't think a bit of hysteria, as you call it, is misplaced.

Let's hope actions are taken proactively to get this club back on track.

Well summed up. It never seems to amaze me how wrong some people's view of a game can be. Wolves 2 wingers played havoc all night with our 'defence' Our players were a group of individuals with no shape, no understanding and poor passing. I'm sorry but I do not pay good money to see one shot on goal ! The home crowds will carry on getting smaller and smaller if we carry on like this, and maybe then Ali Mac will wake up and smell the coffee. I loathed the Jol days, and that feeling is creeping back in again. It's not rocket science Mr Mackintosh !!!!!

supersimmo123

Should have been 2-0 but for a missed pen and Wolves could have won 5 or 6. Davis and GJ and Claridge by all accounts said Magath had no idea what he was doing.

Neil D

Batth showed what a central defender should be - Woodrow got nothing from him all night and he had a decent enough game in a difficult role, trying to hold up the play for McCormack - except that McCormack was nowhere to be seen in the second half since he played in midfield in a desperate bid to see some possession.  Sako demonstrated what a striker needs to be in this division:  you hustle and bustle, use your pace, unsettle the opposition and score. We need one of these.

Bodurov was a definite bright spot, though.  His experience was evident and desperately needed.  Burgess made fewer mistakes (penalty excluded) and played with some assurance for an 18 year-old.  Parker was OK but he is not a creative midfielder and we need one.  Roberts proved he can last 90mins.  He came in only fitfully but did enough then to keep his place in the starting line-up. 

Harold Shand

Yes they were, they looked a very good team.

Denver Fulham

Whether they were or not, who the hell cares whether a newly promoted team from League 1 was better than we were? If that's the standard we're judging Fulham on now, God help us.

filham

Let's be honest, we were totally outplayed by a team that had less talent than us but were faster, physically stronger , taller, had more experience and were better organised, they should have won by a larger margin.

In particular they made good use of long early balls to wide men whereas our slow build up left our front runners without space to advance.

This was our worst performance this season, can't think where we go from here, all I can see ahead is more changes and bigger defeats.

No goals at the Cottage in back to back games is a major concern .

MasterHaynes

Played much as I expected , Jackett star pupil of the Graham Taylor school. Whack the ball out over the opponents last defender and run after it chasing everything down and drop back when you haven't got the ball was executed very well. So well at times they looked a better passing side than us because they had us on the backfoot so often that we were forced into playing their game. The difference was they did look like scoring when they broke, we didn't.