watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Felix - Told money for new keeper would cost too much

Started by Lighthouse, September 02, 2014, 02:32:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lighthouse

The signing of Gabor Kiraly was Plan B because as Fulham's boss admitted – the club wouldn't give him money for a top keeper.

The Hungarian, known as 'Pyjama Man' when last in England on account of his tatty, flapping tracksuit bottoms, was on the bench for the 1-1 draw against Cardiff as predicted by GetWestLondon.

Felix Magath admitted he was forced into a 180 degree turn that brought a 38-year-old to Craven Cottage even though the club's avowed policy is to develop younger players.

The veteran custodian will be required to fight for a place, but just as importantly train and develop Marcus Bettinelli and Jesse Joronen, currently battling each other for the gloves.

And yes, Kiraly will be allowed to don his famous bottoms as he looks to replace flop Maarten Stekelenburg loaned out to Monaco.

"Kiraly can wear what he likes," said Magath. "Keepers wear different clothes, and the idea at the beginning was to get a very good keeper. They (the club) told me it would cost a lot of money.

"So, I changed my mind because we are in transition. I searched for an old keeper whose career is at the end, and he should teach young keepers and help them develop.

"But if Kiraly's good enough, there's no reason why he shouldn't play. So now we have competition for three keepers and the best one will play."

Local Press
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

westcliff white

Every day is a Fulham day

Lighthouse

Quote from: westcliff white on September 02, 2014, 02:34:04 PM
sounds like Kiraly is the new number 1 to me

Not so sure and depends on how the kids do. Clearly though Felix was after a proper number one. So much for 'money no object'.

K33NY

Arthur

Quote from: Lighthouse on September 02, 2014, 02:32:38 PM
...and the idea at the beginning was to get a very good keeper. They (the club) told me it would cost a lot of money.

“So, I changed my mind because we are in transition.
“

I read it that 'They (the club)' is the club we were trying to buy from. It sounds as if Felix didn't want to go ahead with the purchase.

shnlwswlkr

Where does it say cost too much? It says they told him it would cost a lot, not too much and Felix changed his mind because we have quality young keepers. I remember him saying this, that we were quoted £12m for a keeper that wasn't worth it, so we didn't buy him.

People love to misquote in the press and even on these forums.
Twitter - @shnlwswlkr

Lighthouse

Quote from: Arthur on September 02, 2014, 02:41:43 PM
Quote from: Lighthouse on September 02, 2014, 02:32:38 PM
...and the idea at the beginning was to get a very good keeper. They (the club) told me it would cost a lot of money.

"So, I changed my mind because we are in transition.
"

I read it that 'They (the club)' is the club we were trying to buy from. It sounds as if Felix didn't want to go ahead with the purchase.

Yes you are right I think, Still makes you wonder why other keepers were not considered.

callumc513

Quote from: shnlwswlkr on September 02, 2014, 02:43:10 PM
Where does it say cost too much? It says they told him it would cost a lot, not too much and Felix changed his mind because we have quality young keepers. I remember him saying this, that we were quoted £12m for a keeper that wasn't worth it, so we didn't buy him.

Alex McCarthy?

Craven Mad

Tomasz Kuszczak is currently a free agent. He is a great keeper and fans of Brighton - the club he played at for the past 2 years - were incredibly disappointed when he left. He's experienced, talented, and - importantly - available for free. Plus I doubt he's on too high wages.

I don't understand the stance Felix is taking on the issue. Keepers are available, he's just ignored them.

shnlwswlkr

Quote from: Craven Mad on September 02, 2014, 02:57:34 PM
Tomasz Kuszczak is currently a free agent. He is a great keeper and fans of Brighton - the club he played at for the past 2 years - were incredibly disappointed when he left. He's experienced, talented, and - importantly - available for free. Plus I doubt he's on too high wages.

I don't understand the stance Felix is taking on the issue. Keepers are available, he's just ignored them.

Maybe he needs new glasses?
Twitter - @shnlwswlkr

alfie

and maybe he did'nt ignore them, maybe enquiries were made and they were not interested.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

SouthWest6

Felix wanted, and was quoted 12 million for a new keeper, not a surprise we said no really. Like above, there were obviously better choices in Kuszczak etc, but Magath chose to go for Kiraly, simply because he doesn't know the English leagues, and the players in it.

Aaron

Quote from: alfie on September 02, 2014, 03:43:18 PM

and maybe he did'nt ignore them, maybe enquiries were made and they were not interested.

I'm not sure how plausible that is.

I'd say there are at least 12 or 15 keepers in the Premiership alone who would like football week in week out and we could offer them that at a reasonably high level, even if it was only a loan.  What's not to like?  It's not like Kiraly is an investment for the future so if we thought we needed a keeper that bad, why not snap someone up loan we couldn't afford to buy?

It sounds like we could have done a deal for a keeper currently being valued at £12m.  In what world would we be able to complete a deal like that and not attract the likes of Kuszcak?

Dumpster diving as usual.

blingo

+1

Lighthouse

Oh strop it. You know we needed keepers and Felix was clearly looking for keepers and just because this particular keeper was too much still doesn't change the fact that keepers were available that were better than the ones we have. Goodness me if we had such quality keepers why was Felix looking for others?

Burt

Bettinelli seems worth a punt. Didn't do too much wrong v. Cardiff. Let him carry on.

EJL

I'm glad we didn't break the bank to buy a goalkeeper. It wasn't necessary.

Logicalman

I believe Felix's comments say quite a lot about what he was looking for. I feel he wasn't looking for a replacement first team keeper at all, he appears happy with our current crop but understands that they are very inexperienced and decided to retain the services of an older keeper to help bring them on. They obviously have talent, but need the equivalent of a coach and that's what I feel he was trying to say.

The final comments about the best one will play is likely an attempt to spur the youngsters on to do their best and earn their place, rather than just believe the old man is always behind them in the pecking order.

Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

Arthur

Quote from: Logicalman on September 02, 2014, 07:06:47 PM
I believe Felix's comments say quite a lot about what he was looking for. I feel he wasn't looking for a replacement first team keeper at all, he appears happy with our current crop but understands that they are very inexperienced and decided to retain the services of an older keeper to help bring them on. They obviously have talent, but need the equivalent of a coach and that's what I feel he was trying to say.

The final comments about the best one will play is likely an attempt to spur the youngsters on to do their best and earn their place, rather than just believe the old man is always behind them in the pecking order.

I fully agree.

Felix wanted either an exceptional goalkeeper, one who was markedly better than our two prospects, or he wanted someone who was prepared to help them along. When the former proved to be unreasonably expensive, he opted to go down the latter route.

I think that (the '£12M' keeper apart) any other who would only join us on the basis that he would be an automatic first choice automatically put himself out of the running.

I've no complaint about what Felix has done. Both Bettinelli and Joronen will, I'm sure, have good careers at this level - if not higher. It's only been two appearances, I know, but Bettinelli already 'looks the part'.

GloucesterWhite

Quote from: Logicalman on September 02, 2014, 07:06:47 PM

Why bring in a keeper to help bring the youngsters on? Surely we have a goalkeeping coach to do that?