watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Felix - Told money for new keeper would cost too much

Started by Lighthouse, September 02, 2014, 02:32:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blingo

Whatever team it was that had the keeper (it sounds like a championship team) tried to rip us off with a stupid and vastly overpriced asking price of £12m and we refused to pay it. That, in my eyes was the sensible route to take considering that we have a decent keeper in Bet, and a very good prospect in Jori.

Logicalman

Quote from: GloucesterWhite on September 02, 2014, 09:16:48 PM
Quote from: Logicalman on September 02, 2014, 07:06:47 PM
I believe Felix's comments say quite a lot about what he was looking for. I feel he wasn't looking for a replacement first team keeper at all, he appears happy with our current crop but understands that they are very inexperienced and decided to retain the services of an older keeper to help bring them on. They obviously have talent, but need the equivalent of a coach and that's what I feel he was trying to say.

The final comments about the best one will play is likely an attempt to spur the youngsters on to do their best and earn their place, rather than just believe the old man is always behind them in the pecking order.

Why bring in a keeper to help bring the youngsters on? Surely we have a goalkeeping coach to do that?

I would agree, though that's just my reading of it, t/w the fact that if the youngsters don't come up to pace they have an experienced keeper to get (and keep) ahead of. As I said, just my opinion of the comments.
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

jarv

didn't perry digweed play when he was 17? If you are big enough you are old enough.  anyway, we had a good keeper....sold to Brighton fp.gif

Artful Dodger

Quote from: jarv on September 02, 2014, 10:55:59 PM
didn't perry digweed play when he was 17? If you are big enough you are old enough.  anyway, we had a good keeper....sold to Brighton fp.gif
Exactly! I can only assume FM thought he had a better replacement lined up but it fell through so rather than go for a decent but not great keeper (ala Stockdale) he has gone for the old head. On that basis, I don't see Kiraly starting unless Bet or Jori really screw it up.
Faber est suae quisque fortunae

aaronmcguigan

is there any need for statements like this to be made public? He had all summer to go through it all, decided he didnt want 2 top goalkeepers, wanted the youth instead, then wanted a 12m rated goalkeeper to displace the 2 young keepers, changed his mind and got an oldie in to compete and coach, even though Stek or Stock could have done that, as Stock was close to Bettinelli going by their interaction on twitter at least.
DOnt understand why the 12m rated goalkeeper and board refusal was made public to justify signing Kiraly.

Would like to think that Betts will play and Jesse out on loan to league 1 hopefully. Dont exactly want a 5th goalkeeper in a calendar year turning out for us, but I wouldnt be surprised by anything Felix or Fulham do judging on the past year.

Arthur

Quote from: aaronmcguigan on September 03, 2014, 01:11:02 AM
is there any need for statements like this to be made public? He had all summer to go through it all, decided he didnt want 2 top goalkeepers, wanted the youth instead, then wanted a 12m rated goalkeeper to displace the 2 young keepers, changed his mind and got an oldie in to compete and coach, even though Stek or Stock could have done that, as Stock was close to Bettinelli going by their interaction on twitter at least.
DOnt understand why the 12m rated goalkeeper and board refusal was made public to justify signing Kiraly.

I have no doubt that Stockdale, as first-choice keeper, would have been happy to mentor our younger prospects. I would imagine, however, that when it became apparent that Felix saw Bettinelli and Joronen as the immediate future of goalkeeping at the Club, Stockdale had no desire to 'play second fiddle' in the manner that Kiraly is doing now.

And while it is true that there was no necessity to make public that we had enquired about a superior keeper, is it not equally so that there is no reason not to divulge this information? It harms nothing or no one.

the nutflush

This all gets back to the levels of communication between the Magath and Ali Mac/Khan.  Looks like there is very little communication.  Magath - "I want to sell Stockdale and buy a better keeper". 
Khan - " Ok". 
Magath - " I have sold Stockdale and now I am looking at a better keeper.  He will cost us 6 million." 
Khan - "We don't have that sort of money for a new keeper".
Magath - "But you told me I could buy a better keeper.  I have sold Stockdale and now I only have two kids".
Khan - "Why didn't you tell me it was going to cost 6m for a new keeper?  You should have kept Stockdale"
Magath - "Sigh .  Ok I know this other older guy who wears pyjamas..."

If I communicated this badly with my co-workers and upper management I wouldn't be in a job for long.  And the business wouldn't be a very profitable one either.  What a farce.

Deanothefulhamfan

I have been Betinelli's biggest cheerleader since pre season, there is no doubt in my mind he should have been our number 1 before Joronen, but what's done is done.... I hope he now goes on to feature regularly.

Selling Stockdale and not replacing him with someone who is even half as good is possibly the worst thing Fulham did this summer, I don't know who this expensive GK was, but from what I read it was a championship keeper, so that narrows it down massively.

Darlow has just been bought by Newcastle, and loaned back to Forest so it was not him
Mccarthy was rumoured to be subject of a 6 million pound bid from QPR so unlikely to be him...

That leaves Marshall and Ruddy.... Both of which could be very believable, seeing as their clubs fetched big money for their other stars.

If Bettinelli proves he is more than capable at dealing with this league ( as he has done wherever he has been ) then we may have saved a huge amount of money.

alfie

Quote from: the nutflush on September 03, 2014, 02:23:12 AM
This all gets back to the levels of communication between the Magath and Ali Mac/Khan.  Looks like there is very little communication.  Magath - "I want to sell Stockdale and buy a better keeper". 
Khan - " Ok". 
Magath - " I have sold Stockdale and now I am looking at a better keeper.  He will cost us 6 million." 
Magath - "But you told me I could buy a better keeper.  I have sold Stockdale and now I only have two kids".
Khan - "Why didn't you tell me it was going to cost 6m for a new keeper?  You should have kept Stockdale"

If I communicated this badly with my co-workers and upper management I wouldn't be in a job for long.  And the business wouldn't be a very profitable one either.  What a farce.

Your last paragraph implies that this conversation took place, i would have a guess and suggest that you were not party to any conversations betwee Magath and Khan and that you are just stirring up trouble. I am sure like the rest of us you do not have the full facts or knowledge of what was said done or not done, so why do you post something like this implying that this conversation took place.

Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

the nutflush

Quote from: alfie on September 03, 2014, 08:30:00 AM
Quote from: the nutflush on September 03, 2014, 02:23:12 AM
Khan - " Ok". 

Your last paragraph implies that this conversation took place, i would have a guess and suggest that you were not party to any conversations betwee Magath and Khan and that you are just stirring up trouble. I am sure like the rest of us you do not have the full facts or knowledge of what was said done or not done, so why do you post something like this implying that this conversation took place.

I'm implying that selling Stockdale was a monumental stuff up in communication  (which perfectly sums up our last two years) seeing that we have replaced him with a geriatric in pyjamas. 

TonyGilroy

Rich on CCN described Stockdale as a C+ keeper and I think that nails it.

Kirali was better than that and might still be whilst Bettinelli looks a real prospect. Amongst many worries about Magath is that he originally preferred Joronen but that mistake has been rectified.

If we need a keeper there will be plenty of Prem players who need game time and will be available on short term loans.

bucksfulham

Quote from: GloucesterWhite on September 02, 2014, 09:16:48 PM
Quote from: Logicalman on September 02, 2014, 07:06:47 PM
I believe Felix's comments say quite a lot about what he was looking for. I feel he wasn't looking for a replacement first team keeper at all, he appears happy with our current crop but understands that they are very inexperienced and decided to retain the services of an older keeper to help bring them on. They obviously have talent, but need the equivalent of a coach and that's what I feel he was trying to say.

The final comments about the best one will play is likely an attempt to spur the youngsters on to do their best and earn their place, rather than just believe the old man is always behind them in the pecking order.

Why bring in a keeper to help bring the youngsters on? Surely we have a goalkeeping coach to do that?
:plus one:
exactly what I was going to say

supersimmo123

Jack Butland, Artur Borac, Thomas Sorensen, Shay Given - to name a few.

alfie

Quote from: supersimmo123 on September 03, 2014, 09:31:35 AM
Jack Butland, Artur Borac, Thomas Sorensen, Shay Given - to name a few.

You could probably name quite a few more, but that says what? nothing really because we do not know who/when/why any keeper have been enquired about, and if they have they may not have wanted to come, still it all adds up to more unfounded gossip.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't