more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

I love Matt Smith

Started by Nick Bateman, September 02, 2014, 04:33:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinsback

Quote from: RidgeRider on September 02, 2014, 06:52:56 PM

I entirely disagree. Referring to our manager as German and clearly Chihi as Indian shopkeeper is entirely racist if not overt, then subtle.....it is unnecessary to make that distinction, even though it MAY be factual.

Wolfgang-Felix Magath is a German former footballer and current manager of English Football League Championship side Fulham. Wikipedia.

Official - he is German. It is as many suspected.

Arthur

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on September 02, 2014, 07:33:29 PM
Do I detect an air of hostility in this Forum. I sincerely hope for all our sakes.

You hope there's 'an air of hostility'? And you're sincere 'for all our sakes'?

Hmm.  :005:

RidgeRider

Quote from: Martinsback on September 02, 2014, 08:28:04 PM

I entirely disagree. Referring to our manager as German and clearly Chihi as Indian shopkeeper is entirely racist if not overt, then subtle.....it is unnecessary to make that distinction, even though it MAY be factual.

Wolfgang-Felix Magath is a German former footballer and current manager of English Football League Championship side Fulham. Wikipedia.

Official - he is German. It is as many suspected.

Everyone on this board knows that already...so why mention it again? Is he trying to educate us? He also used the term Indian shopkeeper in the same post....are you defending that as well?

H4usuallysitting

This chap looks like a good honest sort of player.....what he hasn't got in skill, he makes up for in effort.....sort of player that'll put his head in anywhere.

Woolly Mammoth

I put the Full Stop in the wrong place, as my English teacher use to tell me more often than not.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Nick Bateman

Germans are not a race.  Secondly, I was deriding the substitution of a debutant at such an important time.  My first impression was that Chihi looked like an "Indian shopkeeper", so I used comic license to describe him as such on this board.  Had he looked like a Norwegian fisherman I would have used that description, but he didn't!!  It is not racist to express likenesses as Martinsback pointed out and people should never bandy about ridiculous extreme accusations at the slightest whim.

We are in danger of allowing the goalposts to be moved by the modern culture, those who promote endless foul language, tattoos on every part of the body, lads with trousers hanging down their ankles or girls seen drunk out on the street.  If the late, great Tommy Trinder had seen this is becoming the norm he would have been mortified!!
Nick Bateman "knows his footie"

Nick Bateman

As for Blingo's point, he of the Felix Magath Fan Club, I would love to eat my words because if I am wrong, Fulham will sail up the table into the play off zone.  I would apologise profusely but gladly if so; what would Blingo et al of the FMFC say when Magath is finally sacked and Fulham are poorly placed in the table!?

Woolly Mammoth

Never forget your Roots.

Woolly Mammoth

Changing the subject slightly, as it's the England match tomorrow, it would be good to see a Fulham player in an England Shirt again one day, let's hope it sooner rather than later.

Never forget your Roots.

Nick Bateman

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on September 02, 2014, 09:53:03 PM
Changing the subject slightly, as it's the England match tomorrow, it would be good to see a Fulham player in an England Shirt again one day, let's hope it sooner rather than later.

Matt Smith I touted as a talent when I saw him.  If I "know my footy" he will become Fulham's first England player since Johnny Haynes.

blingo

Quote from: Nick Bateman on September 02, 2014, 09:32:11 PM
As for Blingo's point, he of the Felix Magath Fan Club, I would love to eat my words because if I am wrong, Fulham will sail up the table into the play off zone.  I would apologise profusely but gladly if so; what would Blingo et al of the FMFC say when Magath is finally sacked and Fulham are poorly placed in the table!?

He won't be. ;)

Arthur

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on September 02, 2014, 09:26:42 PM
I put the Full Stop in the wrong place, as my English teacher use to tell me more often than not.

Easily done.

I only quoted it because, in this instance, it changes the meaning of the sentence in a way that is somewhat amusing.

Woolly Mammoth

I would love to see Matt Smith play for England, and you may turn out to be right. But didn't George Cohen play for England since Johnny Haynes, I know the memory fades but I am sure another pm sure did also, wasn't it Bobby Zamora ?

Never forget your Roots.

Woolly Mammoth

Yes Arthur you are correct, now that I have read it again, it reads a lot differently to the way I meant it to be.

Never forget your Roots.

Nick Bateman

Was either Haynes, Cohen or possibly Jimmy Bullard??  May need a "Statto" to confirm.

Oakeshott

The Fulham player who played for England most recently was Bobby Zamora - I was at Wembley and saw him.

Woolly Mammoth

I think Bullard made the squad but never actually played, and for some reason I have in my head that Zamora came on as a sub or started and came off in one solitary match. But yes your right we could do with a stato

Never forget your Roots.

Woolly Mammoth

There we are Oakeshott has confirmed it, many thanks.

Never forget your Roots.

Martinsback

Everyone on this board knows that already...so why mention it again? Is he trying to educate us? He also used the term Indian shopkeeper in the same post....are you defending that as well?

I will certainly defend the right of all posters to call Felix a German as it is pretty reasonable given that he is...well German!

As to the shop keeper thing its nonsense and rude and probably deliberately to try and denigrate a player who is not even Indian. However, shopkeepers are a good sort and we need them so it's not the insult that Mr Bateman might think it is.

crazycottager

Quote from: RidgeRider on September 02, 2014, 07:46:27 PM
Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on September 02, 2014, 07:33:29 PM
Do I detect an air of hostility in this Forum. I sincerely hope for all our sakes. We do go on a winning run of Biblical Proportions, just to cheer us all up, and to give us all good reason to have street parties to celebrate the joy and privilege of being a Fulham Supporter, so a few more victories and we can roll out the barrels.

Me too. Unfortunately we've seen 2.5 years of lousy results and now relegation. Tensions are high. We need to remember we are all Fulham at the end of the day.

so true