watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

The options are endless!

Started by FPT, September 02, 2014, 05:19:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FPT

Although admittedly, I would have liked to have seen another central midfielder join the club, I am happy with how our squad is shaping up. It's got a lovely blend of experience to help compliment and nurture the youth. In the past 3/4 months, our squad has become younger, more exciting and more technically proficient. We have genuinely quality young players, that will be guided throughout the season by the more experienced players; we have Gabor Kiraly for the goalkeepers, Hoogland and Bodurov for the defenders, aided by a number of appearances from Hutchinson and Burn. As well as this, we've got Scott Parker as the experienced glue for the midfield; and Ross McCormack joined by Hugo Rodellaga as experienced members of the attack. ***And this excludes the likes of Fernando Amorebieta and Bryan Ruiz as we know nothing yet of the possibility of either featuring***

Looking at the personnel, we've got flexibility tactically too! We could play formations from the 4231 or our current diamond system, to a 352! I know the frustration for many has been Felix Magath's magnetism towards tinkering with his team, however, I do see the possibility to be adventurous as a good thing.

Not only do we have options in formation, but options in personnel. In the signing of Matt Smith, our attacking options appear limitless! We have a genuine physical presence up top, we've got players who can drop off and hold it up, we've got players that can stretch the defence and in Ross McCormack, we've got a player that can drop off, collect the ball and become a creative force from attack, not just a goalscorer.

Am I worried that we lack depth in central midfield? Yes I am, but I'm also in the hope that we can cope until January and see what we can do when the window comes back round. In 4 months time, we could be in a completely different situation and may be happy to spend to really kick on a rebuilt promotion challenge (unlikely to some but still entirely plausible); just off of the top of my head, imagine if we could get Clint Dempsey to join for a third time for 2 month loan? That's 8/9 games in the Championship, the period in which Leicester regained 1st place and never looked back. *I rambled here, sorry!*

All in all, we've started the season (performance wise) very well, now hopefully after two games without a loss and our best performance of the season within the draw, I'm fairly confident that we can kick on from now and be in a different position by mid-October.

Burt

I agree Mr FPT.

Putting the Derby result to one side, we have indeed been competitive in all the other matches, and if the first half against Cardiff was a sign of things to come rather than a flash in the pan then we will be in good shape.

blingo

I agree with everything you have written there Frankie me old son.

Peabody

Nice to read such a good appraisal.

Northern Cottager

I hope you're right. Some good names banded about as possible signings coming in which would have looked good but on paper we look ok, not good enough to go up, mind.

shnlwswlkr

Maybe, just maybe, there is method to the madness.
Twitter - @shnlwswlkr

AUSFFC

"Never expecting, always believing" COYW

RaySmith

Quote from: FPT on September 02, 2014, 05:19:49 PM
Although admittedly, I would have liked to have seen another central midfielder join the club, I am happy with how our squad is shaping up. It's got a lovely blend of experience to help compliment and nurture the youth. In the past 3/4 months, our squad has become younger, more exciting and more technically proficient. We have genuinely quality young players, that will be guided throughout the season by the more experienced players; we have Gabor Kiraly for the goalkeepers, Hoogland and Bodurov for the defenders, aided by a number of appearances from Hutchinson and Burn. As well as this, we've got Scott Parker as the experienced glue for the midfield; and Ross McCormack joined by Hugo Rodellaga as experienced members of the attack. ***And this excludes the likes of Fernando Amorebieta and Bryan Ruiz as we know nothing yet of the possibility of either featuring***

Looking at the personnel, we've got flexibility tactically too! We could play formations from the 4231 or our current diamond system, to a 352! I know the frustration for many has been Felix Magath's magnetism towards tinkering with his team, however, I do see the possibility to be adventurous as a good thing.

Not only do we have options in formation, but options in personnel. In the signing of Matt Smith, our attacking options appear limitless! We have a genuine physical presence up top, we've got players who can drop off and hold it up, we've got players that can stretch the defence and in Ross McCormack, we've got a player that can drop off, collect the ball and become a creative force from attack, not just a goalscorer.

Am I worried that we lack depth in central midfield? Yes I am, but I'm also in the hope that we can cope until January and see what we can do when the window comes back round. In 4 months time, we could be in a completely different situation and may be happy to spend to really kick on a rebuilt promotion challenge (unlikely to some but still entirely plausible); just off of the top of my head, imagine if we could get Clint Dempsey to join for a third time for 2 month loan? That's 8/9 games in the Championship, the period in which Leicester regained 1st place and never looked back. *I rambled here, sorry!*

All in all, we've started the season (performance wise) very well, now hopefully after two games without a loss and our best performance of the season within the draw, I'm fairly confident that we can kick on from now and be in a different position by mid-October.
0001.jpeg

Deanothefulhamfan

I have said before that Smith allows us to play route one.... Not a big fan of this, but it is a different style, if we are chasing a goal ( we could have used Trotta who would do exactly the same, but whatever)

I hope Felix continues to try and get us playing quick football on the ground, if so Woodrow is key in making this happen.

Our Central midfield options are a little bit light, although Hoogland looks much better a CDM as appose to a RB, so he can slot in there.... If he gets injured I am not sure what to do, as I don't think Parker is good enough in that role, and we have nobody else to turn to...

I think parts of our performances have been good, but an awful lot more worse than good, so things need to change dramatically for us to go on a winning run. That being said FM is starting to learn from his mistakes so who knows.

We do have options as you say, although very little width concerns me....

filham

Yes, things are looking good we just need to see the ball hitting the back of the opponents net more often, lets hope that will start against Reading.

In fact I think we have too large a squad which could result in Felix persisting with his tinkering rather than developing a settled team. I would be happy to see one or two more players sent away on loan deals.