watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Decent transfer period ...

Started by HatterDon, September 03, 2014, 03:51:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HatterDon

... Felix seems to be settling on his best game-day squad, I'm looking for stability and a steady climb up the table to somewhere between 8-14 by may. Then, over the summer, we sell Roberts for big money, invest in one or two missing links and go for promotion in 15-16.

In the near term, I'm looking for 4 wins in our next 7 matches.

To quote Mr. Travers Barney, "The future's bright; the future's Black and White.'

Cue all the FofF Football Managers telling me that I'm a delusional idiot.

"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

ChesterTheTabby

Not delusional at all, and I agree with you except for one thing.. I think we will get between 8-5th, thusly making me more delusional than yourself if we are to be known as such. Really hope we don't get rid of Roberts, but no doubt in my mind we will have no chance to keep him.
Someone once asked me, "Why Fulham?".
My response, "Well, lad, you just haven't seen the light yet"

Deanothefulhamfan

I don't think you are delusional, or an idiot for that matter.... I like what you have to say, although this season I disagree with a lot of your views, I am super negative though, so our opinions are bound to be different.

I hugely disagree with the title of your thread, as I think we have had a disastrous window, HOWEVER I do agree with a lot of the message.....We have some tough games coming up, but we have certainly played some decent teams already, Wolves and Milwall are in the playoffs, and Derby and Cardiff are in the top 10, Forest will be our biggest test, but there is no reason why we cannot get wins in 4 of the next 7 games.

I think we will lose 4 or 5 youngsters in the summer if we fail to go up, which is my biggest worry.

Holders

I totally agree with Deano that my biggest worry is, if we don't go up or at least make the play-offs, losing so much of the golden generation that the club has put so much time, money and effort into developing.

It's not just about getting decent money for them. As fans we should at least have the opportunity to see some of these guys in a Fulham shirt for a season or two to show their worth (and enjoy them) before they have to inevitably go - and I don't mean just as 17 or 18 year olds.

Our relegation (and if we don't go up) will have put paid to that. I've never seen us bring through such good youngsters in all my time. I'm hard-pushed to think of their equivalent in years gone by. Haynes was just before my time - Marsh maybe? But can anyone suggest any others of equivalent quality to the likes of some of these?

It would be tragic. That's why I feel that a play-off place this year is the absolute minimum the club should be/should have been aiming for.

I remain an eternal optimist and still hope we may achieve that.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Rambling_Syd_Rumpo

I might get shot down for this,but I feel we should be in the top 12 by Jan,then let's push hard and see what happens-hell of a long season gives us a chance to make up lost ground!  049:gif

westcliff white

I understand your viewpoint but disagree, I tend to think Deano is correct, if we do not make the playoffs this season, i strongly believe all or most of our good young players will leave, the likes of David, Roberts, Burn and maybe the two William's lads and Hyndman as well. Hyndmann having just been called into the USA team will be very keen to push on. I also do not agree with the decent transfer window, I expected a lot more, not necessarily on Monday just gone but earlier in the marker, you strike while the iron is hot and we should have done that then as we were the "big" club coming down so to speak so more attractive to a lot of players.

I do agree that Felix seems to be getting a more settled match day squad, however I still do not think he is the right man for the club (I am sorry to all those that back him, just for me he inst the man we need, i really hope he proves me wrong), however will support him and the team as I always do and hope we start to get results. He now needs to utilize the squad we have, he needs to get McC through the middle, will we see that now with Smith in the squad too? would mean a change of formation to a degree but time will tell.

Lets all hope he gets it right before it is too late, lets get behind the team and will them on in 10 days or so time and finally get a league win.
Every day is a Fulham day

Fulham 442

Quote from: westcliff white on September 03, 2014, 07:24:38 AM
I understand your viewpoint but disagree, I tend to think Deano is correct, if we do not make the playoffs this season, i strongly believe all or most of our good young players will leave, the likes of David, Roberts, Burn and maybe the two William's lads and Hyndman as well. Hyndmann having just been called into the USA team will be very keen to push on. I also do not agree with the decent transfer window, I expected a lot more, not necessarily on Monday just gone but earlier in the marker, you strike while the iron is hot and we should have done that then as we were the "big" club coming down so to speak so more attractive to a lot of players.

I do agree that Felix seems to be getting a more settled match day squad, however I still do not think he is the right man for the club (I am sorry to all those that back him, just for me he inst the man we need, i really hope he proves me wrong), however will support him and the team as I always do and hope we start to get results. He now needs to utilize the squad we have, he needs to get McC through the middle, will we see that now with Smith in the squad too? would mean a change of formation to a degree but time will tell.

Lets all hope he gets it right before it is too late, lets get behind the team and will them on in 10 days or so time and finally get a league win.
I totally agree with this post.  I will always get behind the team, will never boo them but I feel very strongly that Magath is not the man for us and I don't believe him when he says he knows what he is doing.  Looking at the website is depressing, you would think we had battered Cardiff with their "upturn in fortunes" line, not got a 1-1 draw.  I seriously fear for our future with this man in charge.

Roberty

Mr Hatter Don it is a pleasure to find a sunny outlook on here and from reading your previous posts I know your opinion is one to be respected.

For me the window was as good as could be expected given where we ended up.

I have failed to identify all the "European journey-men" that people mention and it is a pleasure to see that most of the players coming are building their career and not in their twilight of them which has been our usual recruitment policy

I don't suppose that they will all make it but that is always going to be the case. They have brought some energy to our play and have the potential to improve

If their team performance can improve quickly enough to get us promotion is open to debate but I see we have hope for a brighter future than was the case in the last two seasons
It could be better but it's real life and not a fantasy

blingo

Top 10 by Jan and then watch us go.

westcliff white

HD I also meant to add that like you for wins from the next 7 would be good, I am hoping we can get more tho maybe a couple of draws as well.
Every day is a Fulham day

MrProphet

Quote from: HatterDon on September 03, 2014, 03:51:21 AM
... Felix seems to be settling on his best game-day squad, I'm looking for stability and a steady climb up the table to somewhere between 8-14 by may. Then, over the summer, we sell Roberts for big money, invest in one or two missing links and go for promotion in 15-16.

In the near term, I'm looking for 4 wins in our next 7 matches.

To quote Mr. Travers Barney, "The future's bright; the future's Black and White.'

Cue all the FofF Football Managers telling me that I'm a delusional idiot.

I don't think your delusional just looking for an argument with a line like that

If Felix does indeed stick with a settled line up I think you could be correct however every piece of evidence from his time as manager says he won't.  As for our window activity it was extremely poor we all saw us being bullied in the middle of the park and lacking goalscoring support to lighten the load on mccormack yet we purchased neither. While smith looks to add something to the squad that we don't have currently we failed for the 30th consecutive window to invest I'm a decent cm.

As for selling Roberts I'd be extremely disappointed of we sold one of our crown jewels when our chairman claims to be prepared to spend what's required to get us back up. I'm sure someone will say it's not my money to spend but equally I wasn't the one who said such a truly ridiculous comment in an interview.

Bronaldinho

@ABronsSmith

Author of 'The Craven Corner' blog - Hosted in the matchday programme, SB Nation & thecravencorner.wordpress.com

Slaphead in Qatar

squad is fine. club has worked really hard to get rid of dead wood, bring in new players and promote youth. the problem is I don't think our manager is good enough to get us promoted. as a tactician and man manager his skills are lacking.

TonyGilroy

Fact of life that players will go to the biggest club that will have them so the better the kids do with us the sooner they leave unless of course their collective contribution sends us up the food chain.

I'd be very surprised if the club didn't offer decent new contracts to those kids that are in the first team squad both to reward them and preserve their transfer value.

I think that potentially now the squad looks good provided there's to be some stability in selection so hopefully onwards and upwards.

Grimson

The transfer window is shut. Now lets all try to be positive and cheer for the boys. I believe we did ok in transfers and Smith might just be the player we need. I like woodrow but he is still a little light weight, and the defenders we have met in the championship have all been big and strong. Would have been interesting to see statistics of how many succesful crosses we have so far. Not many i believe.

And the midfield are not that bad. Did you guys not see Davids passing against cardiff? Hyndman keeps on impressing. Hoogland did a good job and parker will come good in the championship.

COYW

Lighthouse

We needed an experienced spine to the side. Something I have been banging on since the end of last season. We haven't managed to do that. Decent transfer period is about right. But until the results start to feel positive than there really has been nothing to BE positive about for many seasons. I can't see us keeping the best kids if we keep on failing so badly.

Fulham has become a bad soap opera where the viewers can guess the scripts. Saying the scripts will become better in the future is becoming a very tired cliché.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

the nutflush

Yes we have a decent squad, just a complete nutcase of a manager.  If we don't go anywhere this season it won't be down to a poor squad, but poor management of the squad.

FFC1987

Again, would love to be proved wrong and kept myself quiet recently but....in my opinion it really wasn't a good window and I'm thoroughly disappointed by the clubs actions and ambitions. From the outside, I'm not even sure the club want promotion. 'I'll do anything to get us back there' was a bold PR statement but judging by the books, it holds no water.

I said it on my twitter recently, look at QPR now, the money they spent to get them back up and the caliber of player they are signing shows ambition. (some would say naivety/recklessness) I'm not one normally for pessimistic statements but I really can't see anything good coming from this season.

We'll get below mid table and the asset stripping of our promising youths will follow. Not sure how bright teh future is with the current setup and running of things.

RaySmith

Do you really want to be like QPR? - with all their financial problems, potentially having serious consequences.

Khan has shown he is prepared to spend big -on Mitro, and McC, but seems to also show some caution-to protect the long term interests of the club-using the potential of our youth, and cheap, but seemingly good value, signings -with Felix as manager prepared to work on a budget, but developing a quality team that will challenge for success.

FFC1987

Quote from: RaySmith on September 03, 2014, 09:48:29 AM
Do you really want to be like QPR? - with all their financial problems, potentially having serious consequences.

Khan has shown he is prepared to spend big -on Mitro, and McC, but seems to also show some caution-to protect the long term interests of the club-using the potential of our youth, and cheap, but seemingly good value, signings -with Felix as manager prepared to work on a budget, but developing a quality team that will challenge for success.

I wouldn't call our transfer activity smart or decent value. We purchased a striker who even the Leeds fan's who love him agree pulled our pants down. We've signed another striker from Leeds who was a fringe player (admittedly he had an alright season last year) we haven't addressed the CM need as per usual and we brought in some squad fillers like Fotheringham.

Do I want to be like QPR? The guys who got ridiculed for over expenditure and haven't been penalized for it but can now sign some top players in the top flight. I'd say looking at our predicament and how they're currently doing, I'm slightly jealous yes.

Let me pose you a question. Are you happy with the running of the club and with Felix at the helm?