watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Scotland

Started by win-dup, September 09, 2014, 09:22:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

win-dup

I've only been there once and thought it was a ghastly place full of toothless drunks and those that weren't drunk were grasping toothless beings determined to fleece an innocent Englishman like me. And it poured with rain the whole week in August I was there. Hideous.

VicHalomsLovechild

So I guess you're hoping they vote yes then !

fulhamben

Lol, sounds like you've been to Paisley in Glasgow. Try Inverness next time, I had a great time up their. As for rain, in my experience it rains non stop from Manchester upwards
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

RaySmith

What have you got against the toothless? Do you know the prices the  mostly privatised dental services charge now? Though, in Scotland that probably still have NHS dentists, given the culture of greater equality and fairness than in England there- and their health system still seems to be pretty good.

Well, I noticed the difference when I moved  back to England from Glasgow - where my wife is from-ie it's a lot worse here if you're ill or old or disabled.

There are rich and poor areas in the west of Scotland just like anywhere else, though Glasgow does have some of the worst poverty and unemployment in Europe, as well as well off fashionable areas.

Andy S

That was Stamford Bridge

domprague

You came all this way ... and you lost, and you lost.

Berserker

There are deprived and wealthy area's in Scotland thr same as England. My inlaws who live in Edinburgh are dead against independence, where as my husband who lives down south is changing now towards a yes vote, as he feels it would be a more equal society on Scotland and plans to move back eventually. I personally think we should stay united as one country.
What I am worried about is if it works out a 51% to 49% Yes vote, then you will have a seperate country formed with only half the population wanting it.
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

the nutflush

Quote from: win-dup on September 09, 2014, 09:22:05 AM
I've only been there once and thought it was a ghastly place full of toothless drunks and those that weren't drunk were grasping toothless beings determined to fleece an innocent Englishman like me. And it poured with rain the whole week in August I was there. Hideous.

".....innocent Englishman"......  As your name suggests, a good wind up.

Syd Cupp

Quote from: win-dup on September 09, 2014, 09:22:05 AM

I think you have visited the scottish red light district where all the good looking scottish women hang out..!!

Baszab

However much we may want Scotland to get lost -- a NO vote would decimate the UK, weaken the £-Pound, completely muck up our economy, eradicate most of our defence systems, probably reduce our standing in the world so much we could lose our security council standing at the UN, reduce our power in football and our ruling vote on all things FIFA, etc etc

Holders

Quote from: Berserker on September 09, 2014, 10:31:13 AM
There are deprived and wealthy area's in Scotland thr same as England. My inlaws who live in Edinburgh are dead against independence, where as my husband who lives down south is changing now towards a yes vote, as he feels it would be a more equal society on Scotland and plans to move back eventually. I personally think we should stay united as one country.
What I am worried about is if it works out a 51% to 49% Yes vote, then you will have a seperate country formed with only half the population wanting it.

I'm sure we in England would be better off economically (eventually at least, once we've repatriated the necessary infrastructure) but we'd lose some political clout. It would be interesting to see what they do on border controls if it's a "yes". If Scotland goes independent and is outside the EU until they negotiate re-admittance then there'll have to be controls. On the other hand, as and when they're re-admitted, all new members have to join the Schengen agreement so we'd need controls in that case anyway - as with France.

Either way, I can't see it suiting Scotland.

It's head v. heart. If we in England were offered independence my heart would want it but my head would overrule. We are better off together and separation would cost Scotland more in my view.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Lighthouse

I love Scotland and used to go on holidays to the castles and countryside and enjoyed it both as a kid and as an adult. We used to buy the usual tat and must admit have still kept badges and tartan of my mums maiden name.

I think any further level of bureaucracy just makes money for the system running it and not for the people. But as I was always proud to be British, the less the other countries in the UK want to be British, the more English I become.

I have no idea how the change, if it happens will effect us in England. All I do know is those implementing it will make money out of it while others will suffer.   
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

TheDaddy

Its going to fail we tried it once with Hadrian's wall .There still keep coming  :022:
"Well blow me if it wasnt the badger who did it "

ron

The real down side is that as separate entities we have less chance of leaving (and making a success of leaving) that dreadful EU with its bureaucracy and top heavy management, and where they have to get 20 odd nations to agree before the slightest action.

"Divide and rule" ...they must be laughing over there, because they can set the rules for us to reapply as individuals.....(as we probably will...given how like lemmings that our politicians are).

Ooops politics. Sorry !

Vinnieffc

I'm all for the Yes vote. If they become independent and outside of the EU we can buy Duty Free whiskey and Irn Bru  :005:

bog

I suggest you try the west Highlands then.

092.gif

Peabody

You have to admit that Salmond is wiping the floor with our lot.

Rupert

The funny thing is, the Tories, who are all for unionism, win either way. A No vote keeps ths Scots in the union, a Yes vote makes it all but impossible for Labour to win any general election for the forseeable future as England always votes in more Conservative MPs than any other party.

By the by, why weren't we given a vote as to whether we wanted to let them stay in the UK? That might have made interesting reading.
Any fool can criticise, condemn and complain, and most fools do.

FFC1987

Quote from: Peabody on September 09, 2014, 01:14:22 PM

He's a farce. Just a yes PR man. Coming to the front of the audience talking about homeless people and the disabled and offering money when the reality is, it might not be there so cuts could be forced. At no point did he outline plan B scenarios. I honestly don't mind if the Scots wish to leave as thats there choice but I fear for them if they do.

Wingnut

Quote from: Peabody on September 09, 2014, 01:14:22 PM

I have a neutral view on the whole referendum, as the result will have little to no effect on my daily life, living in the RoI. The 'No' campaign and it's complete lack of organisation and drive has been remarkably poor. Personally, I suspect that the 'No' side will win out, as some Scottish people are afraid to voice their opposition to independence for fear of being branded as unpatriotic.

IF the 'Yes' side pulls through, it will be by a slender majority. The Scots will be in for one rocky ride over the next few years and I suspect that the SNP will feel the full force of a massive backlash from the public, when all the rainbows and sunshine that they promised don't come to fruition. I am not convinced that Salmond has a genuine economic road-map for an independent Scotland. Alas, Alastair Darling failed to focus in on that simple fact during the debates.
Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.