News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

With England v Germany coming up yet again, who remembers the Commando's book's?

Started by FatFreddysCat, June 25, 2010, 12:12:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FatFreddysCat

The little square books where tommy always wins after geting a good hiding at the start  by Jerry, infact WWF have stolen the copyright. weren't they class? if i remember rightly my nan and now sadly departed granded used to buy me all four a month??? as well as 2000Ad, Judge Dredd was class, and Roy of the Rovers.Anyhow back to the Commandos, was that the name? And who bought them?

finnster01

Quote from: FatFreddysCat on June 25, 2010, 12:12:43 AM
The little square books where tommy always wins after geting a good hiding at the start  by Jerry, infact WWF have stolen the copyright. weren't they class? if i remember rightly my nan and now sadly departed granded used to buy me all four a month??? as well as 2000Ad, Judge Dredd was class, and Roy of the Rovers.Anyhow back to the Commandos, was that the name? And who bought them?
That's the one where every German is called Fritz or Klaus and the commando's are always facing impossible odds but kicks arse in the end right? I used to get them too...

If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

FatFreddysCat

Quote from: finnster01 on June 25, 2010, 12:29:37 AM
That's the one where every German is called Fritz or Klaus and the commando's are always facing impossible odds but kicks arse in the end right? I used to get them too...

That's the ones Finny  :54:. Blinding weren't they. i was and am still fascinated by all war things, be it Roman, WW1 or 2, Vietnam, cant believe your little stint in the Falklands haven't produced any good films. My boy and most other kids dont even seem to realise that iraq and Afganistan is going on, instead too busy killing wizards and demons on World of Warfare or whatever it's called. Very poor state of affairs.

Lighthouse

Achtung  and Swinehund Englander were the general script for the germans I seem to remember. I used buy them along with bubble gum with free cards. Some Gum had War Cards or Thunderbirds and stuff. I seem to remember there were other small comic books like Commando as well.

Good stuff
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

finnster01

Quote from: FatFreddysCat on June 25, 2010, 12:43:24 AM
Quote from: finnster01 on June 25, 2010, 12:29:37 AM

That's the ones Finny  :54:. Blinding weren't they. i was and am still fascinated by all war things, be it Roman, WW1 or 2, Vietnam, cant believe your little stint in the Falklands haven't produced any good films. My boy and most other kids dont even seem to realise that iraq and Afganistan is going on, instead too busy killing wizards and demons on World of Warfare or whatever it's called. Very poor state of affairs.
The problem with the Falklands Mr Freddy was that everybody thought it was Maggie's master plan and she did it just to get re-elected. Maybe she did. But looking at those people in Port Stanley, when it was all said and done it was worth the effort.

Problem was when we came back we thought we would get a bunch of hugs and well done son, and we got feck all. People forget too quickly. I nearly died there (and should have if the Argies bombs worked properly), but nobody gave a crap when I came back. I was lucky to get someone to buy me a pint.

It is the same with Iraq and Afghanistan. My nephew is doing his third tour of Afghanistan, and God Bless him, but he gets the same shite when he comes home. Nobody cares.

FatFreddysCat

I wish i'd kept all them books, i had hundreds and i bet their worth a few bob now.

WhiteJC

FatFreddysCat

LBNo11

...ah the memories come flooding back for me too. The illustrations on the covers were usually worth the cost, they were works of art.

You can clearly see the WWI Albatros DIII depicted and the WWII Savoia-Marchetti SM79, not some stylised version, the illustrators knew their stuff.

And before I forget, Fleetway Library produced most of these publications. The father of my best friend at the time used to write some of the stories, he had been a tank commander (in Matildas and Churchills) in North Africa and served thoughout the war. There is one particular favourite of mine which I have tried to get for years on e-bay etc., it was called "Taken By Storm" written by my friends Dad, about the D-Day air drop, full of characters called 'Smudger' Smith and 'Dusty' Miller etc.,

If anyone ever finds a copy I would love to buy it...

Some more to look at:-
http://www.southerncape.co.za/recreation/books/fleetway_picture_library.php

Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

finnster01

Not to mention the Oerlikon 20 mm cannon on the first front page one.

I think they still use those today

The Equalizer

I loved the one where the commando called John Matrix had to rescue his daughter from a South American dictator. He opened up a whole can of pain on their asses.
:028:
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

Logicalman

WOW, memory lane, or what?
I used to get these regularly, and kept them all - far forgotten now unfortunately. This brings back so many memories of torches under the covers at night so I could read then after my 'lights out'. Thanks for the covers there WJC, brought back a lot of memories.

Abbotsbury White

Yep brings back great memories used to have a massive pile of them,they wern't all just army tho?they had ones relating to the Navy and RAF,sometimes there were thicker ones with 2 stories.Also loved all the old Marvel comics,also Amazing stories and others of that ilk,Used to get £3 pocket money on a Saturday,straight down the newsagents load up with comics and a coke back to bed until midday reading them all,then the remainder of the pocket money got me a 91 to hammersmith,a battered sausage and chips down FPR and into the game at the cottage,this was pretty much my routine from 1972-77,great times.
Kicking around on a piece of ground in your home town.

Logicalman

LBNo11

...a Martin Marauder (B26) shooting down a Focke-Wulf 190, must be worth a read...
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

Lighthouse

We used to have a great selection of comic books once. Even classic stories like Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde were found in comic books. Do they still do things like that?

I used to have TV 21 as a kid and have recently found that they have re produced some of the comic strips in book collections. Wish other comics would do the same. Sad old twits like me would love them.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

finnster01

Quote from: Lighthouse on June 25, 2010, 02:08:22 PM
We used to have a great selection of comic books once. Even classic stories like Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde were found in comic books. Do they still do things like that?

I used to have TV 21 as a kid and have recently found that they have re produced some of the comic strips in book collections. Wish other comics would do the same. Sad old twits like me would love them.
Well Mr Beamer, if you make your way to New York you may like this place then
http://www.jekyllpub.com/ A little touristy, and the food is so-so, but a fun place to waste a few hours if you have nothing better to do

jarv

donner un blitzun!   (I think it was thunder and lightning).

Mr. Mo, you got 3 quid pocket money!!  How much to get in to the cottage then, I can't remember. In the early 60s, my mum gave me 2 and 6. Tube from Southfields, programme, entrance money and a bar of chocolate. That was it for the week, entertainment consisted of football in the street, the playground and Wimbledon park.