more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Friday Fulham Stuff (19/09/14)...

Started by WhiteJC, September 18, 2014, 07:14:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Championship Chat: Fulham policy poor

James Marshment blasts Fulham's transfer dealings and the 'arrogant' fee for Ross McCormack, but he has praise for the strides made by Norwich.

The Sky Bet Championship is often overlooked for the glamour and glitz of the Premier League, but there's much to be celebrated in the second tier as we find out in this weekly Thursday column.

The race for promotion, and the bid to stay in the second tier, is likely to be as competitive as ever, as we examine all the key talking points from the weekend, and also take a look at what's to come in the matches ahead.

Feel free to let me know your thoughts in the story comment box, below, or follow me on Twitter here.

There's often an (unspoken) thought that clubs who drop into the Championship from the Premier League are going to march to promotion and seal an instant return to the top tier. Rarely though does that happen.

Why that becomes a struggle is hard to pinpoint, but acclimatising to the second tier is far harder a task than many expect to face.

I'm quite sure a portion of this 'failure' can be attributed to the psychology of fans, players and coaches. The negativity that relegation creates can be hard to shake and could be used as a reasonable theory for teams who then suffer relegation once again within the next two seasons (a fate which has befallen the likes of Leeds, Wolves, Southampton and Leicester in recent times).

Aside from the obvious fall in revenue that relegation can bring, and clubs' need to clear the decks of their high earners, I'm firmly of the belief that these struggles are partially about the mindset of the main men in charge - after all, the prospect of trips to Rotherham and Millwall will appeal far less to players and fans than the previous season's glamour games at Anfield and Old Trafford.

All in all, the challenge of creating a hungry and focused squad is often the biggest challenge facing sides dropping down into the second tier.

One look at the current Championship table and Fulham's struggles so far this term show exactly how difficult it is for teams suffering relegation.

I don't think many predicted the struggles Fulham would face so early on this term, and at the time of writing, it only seems a matter of when, not if, Felix Magath will be given his marching orders.

Despite a raft of departures at the Cottage, Fulham's response to relegation was to spend a Championship record fee of £11m on Ross McCormack - or £11.5m if you throw in his former Whites sparring partner Matt Smith.

McCormack's 28-goal haul last season pretty much spared United from a return to the third tier, and despite the acrimony surrounding his Elland Road departure, fans at the West Yorkshire club should retain a fond memory of the Scot's goalscoring exploits in the 2013/14 campaign.

Though his exit to Fulham saw many supporters question both his loyalty to Leeds and his ambitions in the game, many will not know the full story behind his sale - and I dare say Leeds owner Massimo Cellino was more than happy, if not a little surprised, to get his full asking price for the forward.

Whilst not doubting McCormack's ability to perform at this level, I do question the wisdom of Fulham's owner Shahid Khan splashing 95% of his transfer budget on just one player.

While McCormack himself is not directly responsible for the fee Fulham agreed on, the transfer itself smacks of pure arrogance from Cottagers, almost as if they're saying 'watch out little Championship clubs, we're here, we're spending big on the division's best player, and we're going to take the league by storm'.

Quite simply, the Cottagers have made too many changes, too soon, and sadly for McCormack, he now finds himself in the all-too-familiar situation of being a one-man relegation saviour for a struggling side.

Adams' family make great viewing

Fulham's struggles so far are in stark contrast to the brilliant start Norwich have made to the life back in the Championship - and the credit for this must be afforded to manager Neil Adams, who has helped the club climb into the top two. To say they've hit the ground running is an understatement.

So why have they adapted so well to the division, while Fulham have gone the other way? As I referred to earlier, part of the challenge facing clubs back in the Championship is the psychology of accepting your place not just back in the second tier, but also from losing your seat among the elite.

Adams, very much a Norwich man who knows the club inside out, not just knows how to get the best from his players, but also tries to play football in the right manner - as this FanZone blog alluded to earlier in the week.

He also strikes me as a man who wants to do his best for club (will Magath care that much when he gets sacked and gets his Fulham pay-out, by contrast?) and of someone who truly appreciates his opportunity. That enthusiasm, desire and hunger is clearly rubbing off and Norwich are playing with real panache right now.

But it's in the transfer market where Norwich have truly excelled. The sale of big names Robert Snodgrass, Leroy Fee, Anthony Pilkington and Ricky van Wolfswinkel brought around £20m into the Carrow Road coffers and didn't really upset the balance of their squad too much. In fact, Norwich have adapted their squad brilliantly for life in the Championship with the additions of Gary O'Neil, Carlos Cuellar, Lewis Grabban, Kyle Lafferty and Cameron Jerome bolstering a squad which managed to hang on to other quality pros in John Ruddy, Michael Turner, Martin Olsson, Sebastien Bassong, Nathan Redmond, Jonny Howson and Gary Hooper to name a few.

Had Fulham taken a similar route (selling Bryan Ruiz, Hugo Rodallega and Kostas Mitroglou could have generated a similar return to the £20m Norwich got) and brought in several players, rather than just the one big name in McCormack, I don't doubt their struggles would have been half what they are right now. Although early days, I think the Norwich model is one that other relegated clubs in years to come can learn from.

http://www.teamtalk.com/news/30182/9474645/-?

WhiteJC

A Sad Tale of Woe!

If it wasn`t so sad I`d probably be laughing!

This time last year we never dreamed we`d not be a Premier League club come the present moment.

But now, one year on, some of us are starting to wonder if the good ship Fulham is about to plunge down through another trap-door, into League One.

We`ve played 7 games now and in an ideal world we`d have 21 points and be sitting proudly on top of the table.

Well we`ve got the 1 part of the 21 and instead of looking down from on top of the pile we`re looking up at the rest from the bottom, to put it bluntly, we`re in a hell of a mess.

Looking at goals, we`ve conceded three times more than we`ve scored with the figures reading 18 against and 6 for, figures that don`t bode well.

Can we turn it around and is there light at the end of the tunnel, who knows?

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=370890#ixzz3DgzaZ2RT

WhiteJC

The Excuses Come Thick and Fast!

After presiding over what I`d imagine is the worst start to a season in the entire history of our club our manager, Felix Magath, still has no qualms about going on in his own merry-way as the manager of Fulham Football Club.

Commenting after we`d shipped 5 goals for a second time this season in an away fixture, with Fulham slipping to a 5-3 defeat against Nottingham Forest, Felix had this to say,

"I feel completely confident in this job."

"I understand the fans frustrations, we`re bottom of the table with only one point. That`s terrible."

"I worked with my team, we played well and scored three goals. It was unlucky that we were the losing team."

"The penalty decision from the referee was unfortunately wrong."

"I don`t know what is going on with the referees in the Championship."

"If that`s British fairness then so be it."

Can some one remind me, which volume of excuses Magath has moved on to now?

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=370891#ixzz3DgzmkHTZ

WhiteJC

Give Us a Reminder Please!

Following yet another defeat, our sixth in seven games (yes I know it makes for depressing reading), up at the City Ground, in Nottingham, a remark made by Stuart Pearce`s #2, Steve Wigley, got me thinking.

Wigley, talking about our woeful run of form, simply remarked,

"Fulham have forgotten how to win."

Can someone please remind me again - what`s this word win again?

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=370892#ixzz3DgzxHVxe

WhiteJC

Exclusive - Danny Murphy on Felix Magath and whether he could be the next Fulham manager

Danny Murphy responded to rumours linking him with a return to Fulham as manager or as a coach on the Colin Murray show on Thursday.

Felix Magath is expected to be axed after a disastrous start to the season and Murphy has been tipped to take on the top job or a senior coaching position should the German go.

The ex-England midfielder believes Magath 'should go', but insisted he has had no talks with the club over any role, and would harbour concerns about inheriting the current Cottagers squad.

He said: "I haven't spoken to anybody yet. I haven't had any conversations. I have a deep fondness for the club and never say never about going back. Of course I'd love to be involved at some point. But what worries me, whether it was me or anybody else going in, if they do get rid of Felix, is what they are left with because lots of good characters and good leaders have been let go."

Read more at http://talksport.com/football/exclusive-danny-murphy-felix-magath-and-whether-he-could-be-next-fulham-manager#iboGFd2ZfiFtFpu1.99

WhiteJC

U21s Host Hammers

Fulham Under-21s play their second game in a week when they welcome West Ham United to Motspur Park on Friday (7pm).

They go into the game sitting in fourth spot in the Barclays U21 Premier League table, fresh from their impressive 2-0 victory at Leicester City on Monday.

A clinical counter attacking move, finished off by Tom Richards, gave the Whites a first half lead, before the left-winger turned provider 10 minutes after half-time when his brilliant cross was headed in by Stephen Arthurworrey.

The Hammers, by contrast, are still searching for their first win of the campaign. Currently 10th in the league, they have taken just one point from their four games played so far, with that draw coming against Manchester City at the end of August.

Season Ticket Holders will be given complimentary access on production of a valid Season Ticket card. All other fans must pay (Adults £3, Under-16s/Over-65s £1) for entry.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2014/september/18/u21s-host-hammers?

WhiteJC

Danny Murphy reveals 'horrible moment' Clint Dempsey punched through a glass window after being told he wouldn't start 2010 Europa League semi-final
Danny Murphy reveals moment Clint Dempsey punched through a glass window
American striker had been told he wouldn't start Europa League semi-final
Dempsey made substitute appearance after having injured finger bandaged   

Danny Murphy has revealed the shocking moment former Fulham striker Clint Dempsey punched his hand through a glass window after being dropped by Roy Hodgson for the Europa League semi-final in 2010.

Dempsey was told Bobby Zamora would take his place in the starting line-up against Hamburg in 2010 despite being an injury doubt.

Former Cottagers captain Murphy told talkSPORT: 'The worst thing I ever saw was ahead of the Europa League semi-final at Craven Cottage. 

Clint Dempsey shows off the injury during Fulham's 3-2 win against West Ham in 2010

Roy Hodgson (centre) had decided to drop Dempsey for Bobby Zamora just hours before kick-off

'Bobby Zamora had an injury to his Achilles and wouldn't be able to play, so we worked on the team and Dempsey came in to play as a striker in training.

'By the time matchday came around - Bobby decided he was OK and Roy told Clint just an hour or two before the game.
'Clint is a passionate boy. He doesn't hold back and he decided to punch a window which had thickened glass in the corner of the Cottage.

'Basically half his finger was off and you could see his tendon. Glass shattered - it was some punch by the way. Blood was going everywhere. This was all because he wanted to play of course.'

Back: Zamora had been struggling with an Achilles injury but recovered for the Europa League semi-final

Despite badly injuring his hand just hours before the game, Murphy was pleased to report that the Texan recovered in time to help his side to a 2-1 win against Hamburg.

Murphy added: 'The doctor was there and he bandaged it all up and he came on as a substitute to contributed.

Speaking about his role of captain at the time, the former Liverpool and England midfielder admitted he was in total shock after seeing Dempsey's reaction.

Murphy said: 'It was tough initially, there was a lot of shock. Even Roy was in shock. Clint calmed down quite quickly when he realised the severity of the injure.

'I was just trying to keep him calm and in the end he did calm down. What was great for me was that Roy didn't punish him and leave him out altogether because it was a real lack of discipline. It was a horrible moment.

Zoltan Gera celebrates putting Fulham into a 2-1 lead against Hamburg in 2010

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2761066/Danny-Murphy-reveals-horrible-moment-Clint-Dempsey-punched-glass-window.html#ixzz3Dh0yfa7t
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

WhiteJC

Fulham sack manager Felix Magath following winless start to season

Fulham have announced that manager Felix Magath has been sacked after failing to win a game in the Championship this season.

The Cottagers dropped out of the Premier League at the end of the 2013-14 campaign, and Magath's side have lost six of seven matches in the second tier.

The latest defeat for Magath, who was appointed Fulham boss in February, came in last night's 5-3 loss to Nottingham Forest at the City Ground.

Fulham owner Shahid Khan told the club's official website: "This is an unfortunate but necessary change. I am doing what I feel is right and needed for Fulham Football Club, for today as well as tomorrow.

"I thank our supporters for standing by us during these most difficult of times on the pitch, and promise better days ahead."

Kit Symons has taken temporary charge of the first team while the club search for a new manager.

http://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/fulham/news/fulham-sack-manager-magath_177541.html

WhiteJC

Fulham Chairman Shahid Khan Makes Managerial Change

Fulham Chairman Shahid Khan today named Kit Symons as Caretaker Manager of Fulham Football Club and will personally and immediately lead a thorough search for the new First Team Manager of the Club.

Symons, the Under-21s Manager at Fulham, replaces Felix Magath. Mr Khan today thanked Mr Magath for his efforts through the final three months of last season in the Barclays Premier League and the first seven matches this season in the Sky Bet Championship.

"This is an unfortunate but necessary change," Mr Khan said. "I am doing what I feel is right and needed for Fulham Football Club, for today as well as tomorrow.

"I thank our supporters for standing by us during these most difficult of times on the pitch, and promise better days ahead."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2014/september/18/chairman-khan-makes-managerial-change?

WhiteJC

Felix Magath SACKED by Fulham with Kit Symons taking over as caretaker manager
Felix Magath has been sacked as manager of Fulham
Cottagers are currently bottom of the Championship table
Under 21 manager Kit Symons will take over as caretaker manager
Owner Shahid Khan has now sacked three managers, including Martin Jol and Rene Muelensteen, since taking over at Craven Cottage in July 2013
Former Celtic boss Neil Lennon is among early contenders to replace him

Fulham have sacked boss Felix Magath following their poor start to the season and appointed Kit Symons as caretaker manager.

The German had come under increasing scrutiny after a dismal start to the season that has left the Cottagers bottom of the Championship table with only one point from their opening seven games.

Following a conference call held at the club on Thursday, which included US based owner Shahid Khan, a statement from the club said:

Fulham Chairman Shahid Khan has named Kit Symons as Caretaker Manager of Fulham Football Club and will personally and immediately lead a thorough search for the new First Team Manager of the Club.

Felix Magath has been sacked as Fulham manager after a dismal start to the season

Fulham Under 21 manager Kit Symons will take over in a caretaker role while the club search for a new boss

Fulham have drawn one and lost six of their first seven games in the Championship so far this season

Symons, the Under 21 Manager at Fulham, replaces Felix Magath. Mr. Khan thanked Magath for his efforts through the final three months of last season in the Barclays Premier League and the first seven matches this season in the Sky Bet Championship.

'This is an unfortunate but necessary change,' Khan said.

'I am doing what I feel is right and needed for Fulham Football Club, for today as well as tomorrow. I thank our supporters for standing by us during these most difficult of times on the pitch, and promise better days ahead.'

Khan was very reluctant to fire another manager, aware of his growing reputation for impatience spreading across the game after Fulham's problems last season but felt it was important that a swift change was made.

The American has now sacked three managers - Martin Jol, Rene Meulensteen and Magath - since taking over the club in July 2013.

For him, the bottom line was dismal results, a worrying trend of being unable to hang onto leads and a growing number of heavy defeats.

Owner Shahid Khan has now sacked three managers in little over a year since taking over in July 2013

Magath was backed in the transfer market, including the surprise £11m signing of Ross McCormack (L)

All this after he backed Magath in the transfer market and bought the players he demanded.

The rapid turnover of managers has however become part of the problem at the club, with the different players identified by different managers and subsequently unwanted.

Fulham will be determined to make the right appointment for their highly-rated academy and a manager they think can plot a return to the Barclays Premier League while developing some of the exciting talent produced through the youth ranks.

At the same time, apart from being the hottest seat in London at the moment, the job will appeal to many managers. Former Celtic boss Neil Lennon is among the early favourites.

It is well located in the capital with a top-grade training base, successful youth department and it is financially stable, with a billionaire owner, even if previous managers will not recommend the post in terms of job security.

Former Celtic manager Neil Lennon is among the early favourites to replace Magath

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2761185/Felix-Magath-SACKED-Fulham-Kit-Symons-taking-caretaker-manager.html#ixzz3Dh2VSzx5
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

WhiteJC

Felix Magath sacked by Fulham: German shown door after dreadful start to season

Felix Magath has been sacked as manager of Fulham.

A statement on the club's website revealed that American owner Shahid Khan had removed the German from his post and named Kit Symons as caretaker manager.

"This is an unfortunate but necessary change," Mr Khan said. "I am doing what I feel is right and needed for Fulham Football Club, for today as well as tomorrow.

The move comes after a woeful start to the Championship season that sees the club without a win from their first seven games and just one point gained after a recent draw with Cardiff City.

The German's last game in charge was a bizarre 5-3 defeat to league leaders Nottingham Forest. Fulham fought back from 2-0 down to lead 3-2 but the team's defensive woes were exposed yet again as the home side came back themselves to win.

Magath replaced René Meulensteen last season but was unable to save Fulham from the drop after 13 years in the Premier League.

Having won three Bundesliga titles during his career, he arrived with a reputation for demanding training regimes and old-school philosophies.

Over the summer he allowed nearly every established player to leave the club, including Steve Sidwell, Brede Hangeland and Damian Duff.

£11m was spent on Ross McCormack along with an influx of unknown quantities and the promotion of some promising youth players into the senior set-up.

However, seven games into the season (aside from a Capital One Cup win over Brentford) and it hasn't worked. After last night's match Magath said the season had been "a catastrophe" but remained confident he could turn the things around.

"It is a catastrophe. I have never had that before in my career and I am very sorry for our fans," he said.

"I ask for patience from the fans. I have no doubt we can get up the table."

He hasn't been given that chance.

Alan Pardew, the current Newcastle manager, Chris Hughton, Tim Sherwood and caretaker Symons have been made the immediate front-runners.

The statement from Fulham said Khan will "personally and immediately lead a thorough search for the new First Team Manager of the Club".

Fulham's next match is on Saturday at home to Blackburn Rovers.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/football-league/felix-magath-sacked-by-fulham-german-shown-door-after-dreadful-start-to-season-9741922.html

WhiteJC

Magath loses Fulham job after 'catastrophic' start to season

(Reuters) - Felix Magath was replaced as Fulham manager on Thursday after what he himself described as a catastrophic start to life in the English second tier.

Fulham announced the departure on their website after Magath's side threw away a 3-2 lead to lose 5-3 at Nottingham Forest on Wednesday, a result which leaves them bottom of the Championship with one point from their opening seven matches.

"This is an unfortunate but necessary change," Fulham's American chairman Shahid Khan said on www.fulhamfc.com.

"I am doing what I feel is right and needed for Fulham Football Club, for today as well as tomorrow. I thank our supporters for standing by us during these most difficult of times on the pitch, and promise better days ahead."

Fulham said Under-21's boss Kit Symons had been put in temporary charge while they search for a new manager.

German Magath, 61, who took over at Fulham in February when they were bottom of the Premier League, became the second manager to depart a Championship club on Thursday after Ole Gunnar Solskjaer stepped down as Cardiff City boss.

Magath told BBC Radio 5 live after he watched his side come from 2-0 down to lead 3-2 before losing 5-3 at the City Ground: "It is a catastrophe. I have never had that before in my career and I am very sorry for our fans.

"I ask for patience from the fans. I have no doubt we can get up the table.

"We were very unlucky, we played a good game but things were not good enough for us," he added.

"We should have had a fourth goal when we were 3-2 up and the game would be done but we didn't and we made one mistake and they equalise and it revived them.

"I am very sad and think all the time about our performance and playing style."

Magath, who enjoyed a stellar playing career with Hamburg and West Germany - he scored the winning goal for Hamburg in the 1983 European Cup final against Juventus - took over at Craven Cottage from Rene Meulensteen in February.

He was the club's third manager of the season after Martin Jol had been replaced by Meulensteen in December, but despite a fine reputation as a coach in Germany which included three Bundesliga titles with Bayern Munich and Wolfsburg, he could not save Fulham from the drop after 13 seasons in the top flight.

Fulham won four of his 19 league matches in charge and are in danger of repeating the fate that befell them in the 1967-68 and 1968-69 seasons when they suffered successive relegations and plunged from the old First Division to the Third Division.

Fulham host 13th-placed Blackburn Rovers on Saturday.

(Additional reporting by Michael Hann; Editing by Alan Baldwin)

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2014/09/18/uk-soccer-england-fulham-idUKKBN0HD22720140918?rpc=401

WhiteJC

Newcastle United boss Alan Pardew favourite for Fulham job

Former West Ham manager frontrunner to succeed Felix Magath, say bookies

Fulham bound? Newcastle boss Alan Pardew is the early favourite
Newcastle United boss Alan Pardew is the early favourite to succeed Felix Magath at Craven Cottage.

The German manager was axed on Thursday afternoon after a disastrous start to the season that has seen them fail to win any of their opening seven games.

Pardew is on thin ice at St James' Park and could be sacked if they fail to beat Hull on Saturday.

But the 53-year-old has emerged as the frontrunner for the vacant post in west London, with bookies BetVictor offering odds of 3/1 that he will take over.

Sacked: Felix Magath was given the boot on Thursday
Chris Hughton, who has been out of work since leaving Norwich in April, closely follows at 7/2, with caretaker boss Kit Symons (4/1) in third.

Other names in the frame include Tim Sherwood, Glenn Hoddle and Tony Pulis.

Fulham owner Shahid Khan said: "This is an unfortunate but necessary change. I am doing what I feel is right and needed for Fulham Football Club, for today as well as tomorrow.

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/newcastle-united-boss-alan-pardew-7795607?

WhiteJC

Next Fulham manager: Caretaker Kit Symons the bookmakers' favourite for permanent role

Caretaker manager Kit Symons is the 3/1 favourite to be Fulham's next manager following confirmation of Felix Magath's departure on Thursday.

Magath collected just one point from seven games in the Sky Bet Championship having failed to keep Fulham in the Premier League last season.

Under fire Newcastle boss Alan Pardew, who is the favourite to be the next Premier League manager to leave his post, is also a strong candidate at 7/2.

Sky Bet trader Jamie Munro said: "There's no shortage of contenders for the job and we expect to see the likes of Alan Curbishley (8/1) and Tim Sherwood (12/1) heavily backed as well as the frontrunners.

"But Symons is in a prime position to assume the job on a permanent basis after stepping up from his role with the academy to steer the ship. Having said that, Neil Lennon has had some early support in the betting at 6/1."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11681/9476714?

WhiteJC

Felix Magath gets compensation as Danny Murphy drops Fulham manager hint

FELIX MAGATH will walk away from Fulham with less than £200,000 in compensation after his disastrous reign as manager was finally brought to an end by owner Shahid Khan.

Fulham's 5-3 defeat by Nottingham Forest at the City ground on Wednesday was the final straw for Khan, who finally sacked the vastly experienced German he appointed only eight months ago.

Magath's team had lost six out of their last seven games in the Championship and lie rock bottom, after being relegated from the Premier League last season.

Highly-rated Under-21 manager Kit Symons, who played 102 games for the club between 1998 and 2001, has been made caretaker manager and will take charge of the side for tomorrow's home game with Blackburn.

He will become Fulham's fourth manager in the last 12 chaotic months.

Magath's fate hung on the Forest result and Khan said: "This is an unfortunate but necessary change.

"I am doing what I feel is right and needed for Fulham FC, for today as well as tomorrow. I thank our supporters for standing by us during these most difficult of times on the pitch, and promise better days ahead."

Former Bayern Munich and Wolfsburg manager Magath only replaced Rene Meulensteen as head coach back in February. He had ten months of his deal left, but his wages were slashed from £1.5m a year to £750,000 after relegation. Magath won only four of the 20 games he oversaw, and his unhappy reign saw the end of 13 years of top flight football at the club.

But the German, whose three training sessions a day regime and obsession with running demoralised many players, in the summer then ripped apart the squad.

Senior figures like Steve Sidwell and Brede Hangeland – who clashed publicly with the German – left, and a host of youngsters were brought in, as well £11 million Leeds striker Ross McCormack.

Symons, who as Under-21 coach helped bring through many of the youngsters, would be a popular choice to be given the job full time and is understood to be keen, but former West Brom manager Steve Clarke, ex Norwich chief Chris Hughton and former Celtic manager Neil Lennon are all in contention and all want the job.

Khan, who sacked Magath in an afternoon conference call yesterday, was reluctant to axe his third manager since last December, but results and the real danger of dropping straight through into League 1 forced his hand.

Magath said: "I am disappointed and surprised, because I am sure I have stopped the downfall of the club, although the results have not shown this."

Former Craven Cottage skipper Danny Murphy last night threw his hat into the ring as he attacked Magath's record, saying: "I have a deep fondness for the club and you never say never about going back. I would love to be involved.

"Lots of good characters have been let go like Sidwell and Hangeland - both wanted to stay. The squad has been torn apart, partly so Felix could get his own men in who would do what he wanted."

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/512418/Felix-Magath-gets-compensation-as-Danny-Murphy-drops-Fulham-manager-hint

WhiteJC

Felix Magath's Fulham career in numbers

Fulham have parted company with Felix Magath with the Whites languishing at the bottom of the Championship.

The German saw his side lose 5-3 at Nottingham Forest on Wednesday night and the club's board decided to end the alliance.

London24 recounts Magath's time at Craven Cottage in numbers.

One – The amount of points Fulham have gained in the Championship this season.

Four –Wins and draws in the league from Magath's time in charge.

Six – Defeats in the Championship this season.

12 – League defeats under the German boss.

13 – Years in the Premier League which came to an end last season

18 – Goals conceded this season.

20 – The number of league games Magath had in charge of Fulham.

43 – Players started in league games by Magath.

216 – Days spent in charge of Fulham.

£11million – The amount spent to sign Ross McCormack from Leeds this summer.

http://www.london24.com/sport/football/clubs/fulham/felix_magath_s_fulham_career_in_numbers_1_3776330#4

WhiteJC

Next Fulham Boss Odds

Find out who Sky Bet make the favourite to be the next Fulham manager here.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/21555/9476720?

WhiteJC

Former Crystal Palace defender Kit Symons takes charge of Fulham

FORMER Crystal Palace centre half Kit Symons has been appointed caretaker boss of Championship side Fulham.

Symons, 43, assumed temporary charge of the struggling Cottagers this afternoon (Thursday) after German boss Felix Magath was sacked.

Fulham, who were relegated from the Premier League last season, are yet to win a game this campaign and lie bottom of the Championship, having been thrashed 5-2 by high-flying Nottingham Forest at the City Ground on Wednesday night.

Symons, currently boss of the club's under 21 team, is likely to be in charge for Saturday's home game against Blackburn Rovers at Craven Cottage.

Read more: http://www.croydonadvertiser.co.uk/Crystal-Palace-defender-Kit-Symons-takes-charge/story-22947371-detail/story.html?#ixzz3DjIg75ag
Follow us: @CroydonAd on Twitter | croydonadvertiser on Facebook
Read more at http://www.croydonadvertiser.co.uk/Crystal-Palace-defender-Kit-Symons-takes-charge/story-22947371-detail/story.html?#QjjHiSGrkFIM5sMB.99

WhiteJC

Magath: I would have turned Fulham around

Felix Magath and Ole Gunnar Solskjaer have something in common. Photo: PA

Felix Magath declared himself "disappointed and surprised" to have been replaced as Fulham manager on Thursday, insisting he had been "sure" he would turn things around for the Sky Bet Championship basement boys.

A statement on the club's official website confirmed chairman Shahid Khan had acted following the Cottagers' dismal start to the campaign, with under-21 coach Kit Symons taking up the reins on a caretaker basis.

Magath, speaking in a statement via German news agency DPA, said: "I am disappointed and surprised, because I am sure that I would have stopped the downfall of the club with drastic changes in the squad to a young team, although the first results of the season have not shown this."

He later tweeted: "I want to thank all those amazing #FFC fans for their tremendous support during the last months. I'm very sorry our work didn't lead to better results.

"I enjoyed every single day to work for this club & want to wish @FulhamFC all the best."

Fulham, relegated from the Barclays Premier League last season, have picked up only one point from their opening seven games.

The final straw for Khan was Wednesday night's 5-3 defeat at leaders Nottingham Forest, where visiting fans once again called for the German to be sacked.

In a statement on Fulham's official website, Khan said: "This is an unfortunate but necessary change. I am doing what I feel is right and needed for Fulham Football Club, for today as well as tomorrow.

http://www.itv.com/sport/football/article/2014-09-18/magath-i-would-have-turned-fulham-around/?

WhiteJC

Felix Magath unrepentant after Fulham dismissal as Danny Murphy says he'd like to help out

The German believed that he would be able to turn the Cottagers' ship round despite a miserable start to the season

Felix Magath says he was "disappointed and surprised" to have been sacked as Fulham manager, believing that he could still turn things around at Craven Cottage

The 61-year-old former Bayern Munich manager was dismissed on Thursday afternoon, following a dismal start to the Championship season for the west London club.

Wednesday evening's 5-3 defeat at Nottingham Forest saw Fulham slump to a sixth league defeat in just seven games, after relegation from the Premier League in the summer.

Fulham announced his departure on Wednesday afternoon, with under-21 coach Kit Symons taking charge on a temporary basis, but Magath still felt he had more to offer the club.

"I am disappointed and surprised, because I am sure that I would have stopped the downfall of the club with drastic changes in the squad to a young team, although the first results of the season have not shown this."

Meanwhile former Cottagers captain Danny Murphy has revealed that he would be interested in returning to his former stomping ground to help the team get out of its current "mess".           

Keen to help: Murphy remains well though of at Craven Cottage
The 37-year-old, who skippered the club to the Europa League final in 2010, told BBC Radio 5 Live: "I've always said I'd like to go back to Fulham at some point because I've got a great affinity for the club.

"As of now I've not spoken to anybody at the club regarding asking me to go and do anything at the club, which is fine - it's not something I'm expecting. But if they did want to speak to me, of course I'd be open-minded to that.

"I would never disregard something like that because ultimately that's what I want to do - get involved in football in a coaching and managing role.

"But for now, I suppose it's first and foremost finding the candidates who can get Fulham out of this mess. If people in the hierarchy at the club think that's somebody with much more experience than somebody like me, then that's fine.

"My priority and my desire is to see them not at the bottom of the Championship."

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/felix-magath-unrepentant-after-fulham-4284025#ixzz3DjJXDXVZ
Follow us: @DailyMirror on Twitter | DailyMirror on Facebook