watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Liverpool Move For Didier Deschamps

Started by White Noise, June 26, 2010, 10:45:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

How many managers is that they have been linked with now? Looks like they are assessing a few and will then a make decision.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ukpress/article/ALeqM5i9seMVQ1okUOFBIlD0lvO5lVjNyw

Marseille claim Deschamps approach

(UKPA) – 19 minutes ago

Marseille president Jean-Claude Dassier has revealed Liverpool have contacted him about Didier Deschamps, but he has told them they have no chance of tempting the Ligue 1 winning coach away from Stade Velodrome.

Speculation has been rife over who will take charge at Anfield since Rafael Benitez left the club at the beginning of the month, with Kenny Dalglish and Roy Hodgson among the current frontrunners. However, Dassier claims Deschamps is the man Liverpool want.

"It's true, Liverpool's executive director, Christian Purslow, called me Thursday morning," the OM chief told L'Equipe.

"He speaks French very well, is very polite. I was expecting his call because I had heard of Liverpool's interest in Didier. He asked me if I would allow him to meet Didier and (agent) Jean-Pierre Bernes.

"I replied that I would never forbid anyone from meeting whoever.

"I also kindly indicated to him that there wasn't the slightest chance for him to pinch our coach. Even in his dreams."

Deschamps' contract runs out at the end of next season and he is yet to pen an extension. However, Dassier is confident of keeping the former Marseille midfielder.

He continued: "With Didier, we have a trusting relationship.

"I hope he will commit himself to us for another year. I'm not worried.

"It's true also that Didier is flattered to see a great European club interested in him."

Rambling_Syd_Rumpo

Liverpool are acting like a spoilt child,they seem to be picking names out of the air.they are messing with the whole of football like it's a play thing :035: :031: if there was any justice,everybody would just tell them to buggeroff :59: and leave them high and dry :55: :62: :dft012: :dft008: :clap_hands: :doh:

Fulham Pats Fan

All of this tells me is that Hodgson is still the manager of Fulham. Things could change, but until there is official notice otherwise Hodgson is still at Craven Cottage. 

finnster01

I think the only senior manager in the world not linked with the Liverpool job is the CEO of BP but I am sure he is next on the list...
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

Oakeshott

If Roy is in discussion with Liverpool, I have to say it makes me doubt his judgement and feel pessimistic about his future.

One can of course understand why Roy would be interested in an offer from a bigger club than Fulham - he's done enough to feel he has earned the chance to manage a team at the top level: a serious competitor for the Premiership and the European Cup. And if Man. United, Chel., or Arsenal came for him, or even perhaps Man. City, all being stable clubs with serious prospects of further success, one would regret his going but wish him luck.

But Liverpool are none of these things: they have no chance of winning the Premiership (and precious little of making the top four) and are not even in the European Cup. They self-evidently are unstable, being on the market and susceptible to purchase by any Arab, American or Russian with the money, with all the uncertainty that entails. And if a quarter of the rumours are true, the clowns given the task of finding a manager are far from strong on Roy, otherwise they wouldn't be sounding all and sundry.

One can suppose that Roy is confident that he can show progress with Liverpool, and hopefully be accepted by new owners. But the bottom line is that Roy has no record of success at the very highest level and if I was someone in a position to buy Liverpool and expect to be able to take it forward, I'd want someone with proven success at the necessary level, not a guy who has spent most of his time achieving small miracles with minor international sides, unknown Swedish ones and Fulham. I think he would show better judgement by staying with us until the Engalnd post comes up, and suspect that he'll have real problems, ending with the push, if he goes to Liverpool.

Logicalman

Quote from: Oakeshott on June 26, 2010, 11:55:16 AM
But the bottom line is that Roy has no record of success at the very highest level and if I was someone in a position to buy Liverpool and expect to be able to take it forward, I'd want someone with proven success at the necessary level, not a guy who has spent most of his time achieving small miracles with minor international sides, unknown Swedish ones and Fulham.

as compared to Benitez you mean?

Benitez is the exact kind of manager you are claiming the Poo needs, yet, they are getting rid of him as a failure. He has been successful at the top level (I take it you mean winning the UEFA Champions League, FA Cup and EUFA Super Cup as being the top level), but he is classed as failed at Liverpool.

As for someone being in a position to buy the Poo wanting such a guy, then why haven't they moved for the Poo with Benny at the helm? I can only believe that such potential buyers realize that having had success at such a level is no guarantee that the same success will be in their future as well.

I believe, quite firmly, that Roy HAS demonstrated his ability to manage teams in the top tier of European football, and would benefit ANY team by his presence, managerial, coaching and scouting skills, and has shown he can handle both success and failure, in his own inimitable manner of calmness.

Oakeshott

"I believe, quite firmly, that Roy HAS demonstrated his ability to manage teams in the top tier of European football, and would benefit ANY team by his presence, managerial, coaching and scouting skills, and has shown he can handle both success and failure, in his own inimitable manner of calmness"

He plainly hasn't demonstrated it, because he has never done it (Inter in his day as their manager were not the power they have been since). I agree all the rest, but IF I was buying a top team and had the choice between someone who might do well, and someone who had done well, at that level I'd be inclined to go with the latter.