News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

If Roy didn't go, would we still want him?

Started by Lighthouse, June 26, 2010, 12:56:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lighthouse

I know the same thing's are posted over and over again but as my opinion changes daily over this I was interested how many others would be less enthusiastic over Roy.

So say Liverpool announce a manager and it isn't Roy and England continue with Capello. Roy is interviewed on the Web Site and says he couldn't comment on every piece in the papers etc. How many of us would feel as if Roy was looking for a change or at least take it if it came along and how many would now be a liitle unhappy if he stayed.

My problem would be that I would be unsure how long Roy would stay and how many players would be aware of this. Does he feel he has taken us as far as he can. Could we now do with a change?
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Admin

To be honest, he's hung us out to dry for far to long now. If Roy ended up staying after considering the Liverpool job or even speaking with their officials I'd lose quite a bit of respect for him. If he's going, I'd wish he'd just go now so that Fulham Football club can just move on. The more time this takes, the less time we have to prepare for the new season and the speculation is both damaging to our club and players. Losing a manager can start a chain reation of things such as losing players, backroom staff and so forth and finding replacements can be timely.

The only two things I can see which are happening right now are:

a) Roy or Liverpool or taking their time over the appointment due to thrashing out a compensation package with Fulham or there are still niggly bits to sort out on Roy's bumper 2 million a year contract.

b) Fulham have told Roy to stay in the shadows until this all blows over hence the reason the Club or Roy have come out with any official statement. At this moment in time, over all the speculation, I don't think anyone knows.

Brede Butter Pudding

It's really starting to piss me off because surely this whole process is really damaging our player recruitment ability. No player is going to want to come to a club where the manager is uncertain to stay, and if Roy is indeed on the brink of leaving us then we are unlikely to bring anyone into the club for a while. For example, Steve Sidwell is reportdly delaying his move to us as he is unsure about Roy's future. When you see other and surely lesser clubs such as Bolton snapping up the likes of Petrov is makes you wonder what ambitions we have as a club. I really hope this gets sorted one way or another, as, particularly if Roy leaves and takes a few faces with him (Hangers etc.) then we will be in a really poor situation in terms of attracting new faces to the club.

tingtawng

EDITORIAL: Roy Hodgson - Fallback or Fall Guy?      
26 June 2010

I'm not convinced that this sudden rush of managers that we've been linked with is genuine. I'm not saying that we haven't made moves to try and speak to them but news of these approaches is certainly finding its way into the media on purpose. It's like Rick Parry's back at the club. "We tried to get you Rijkaard but here's Roy". You know the drill.

Now earlier in the week we said that Roy Hodgson would be the next manager of Liverpool Football Club. Within minutes of posting that the source behind that information urged us to make it a little clearer. So we did. We needed to make it clear that the appointment was subject to compensation being agreed between Liverpool and Fulham and contracts needing to be signed. Roy had agreed terms. Liverpool had permission to speak to him. Everything was in order.

I think most people understand how things work, although I do spend a lot of my time banging my head against the monitor when people misquote you or don't understand how football works. Some are genuinely as thick as pig poo, usually because they don't read articles properly, or maybe can't read at all, but some people are just naive. For example some really do believe that clubs, players and agents don't speak to anyone unless they have permission. There are ways around this. They're all bent. There's millions of pounds of money at stake for clubs and greedy agents want their cuts.

Anyway, this is what I think the current state of play is based on information I'm receiving on a daily basis and a bit of common sense and guesswork. Feel free to chip in with your thoughts in the comments section below.

Roy Hodgson has agreed terms with Liverpool but hasn't been confirmed as manager. To be confirmed as manager, Liverpool and Fulham need to agree a compensation figure and contracts need to be inked. I don't believe compensation would be a problem though so Liverpool are, in my opinion, I don't know this as a fact, stalling.

There are suggestions from people I know that Roy is stalling but I'm not sure. Of course he could be holding out for the England job but if so, why would Liverpool send down to London executive and non-executive figures from the club for talks with him. And why would the legal team have travelled down there? If it's true that he is stalling, I expect Liverpool to end their interest in him this weekend.

Late last night I received news that claimed the board would make a decision this weekend on who to give the job to with an expected announcement on Monday. I was told that there was a 2nd unnamed candidate that the Reds would prefer over Roy. This would back up why Liverpool are delaying things if we go down that route.

What I find strange is that clubs and/or agents who are associated to the faces we've been linked with have all been quoted about our approaches yet Fulham haven't.

Christian PurslowYesterday I had a very brief email exchange with Christian Purslow. I assured him that I wouldn't publish his private email address despite pressure from Reds I know who want me to do this. I'm not sure what I think of Purslow yet. My feelings have been mixed. Last summer he really angered me with his responses relating to the Xabi Alonso money and where it went and the transfer kitty being used to extend player contracts. I found his words patronising to supporters. This summer I've been left thinking how any Liverpool supporter could ignore appointing Kenny Dalglish as manager if a low-key appointment was going to be made anyway. Maybe that's unfair, I don't know.

I am aware that one national newspaper (not a tabloid) is currently investigating Purslow's previous links with Tom Hicks in the United States. I heard about this yesterday as I know the journalist in question. The same source also linked me to Ian Ayre's Facebook profile. They were pointing out some of his friends and in particular Mack Hicks and Bradley Hicks. It would be wrong to name others.

There is definitely an ongoing attempt to try and discredit Purslow. I've been encouraged to get involved but I'm refusing to as things stands because I don't know if it's justified. I am though very worried about the current plight of the club. I'm praying that Purslow isn't a Hicks puppet but sadly, I think I'm going to proven wrong. I want to give him a chance but that takes time but sadly time isn't on our side. I'm chewing it over every day. We'll see.

I think these latest links to managerial candidates is just so that Purslow can say "I did me best" before confirming Hodgson as manager. But I do believe that there is a 2nd candidate that Purslow is hoping to scoop The thing is, if the board is going to stick to their weekend deadline, time is running out.

So who is the 2nd candidate? Rijkaard? I'd love him but no chance. Deschamps? Not sure if I rate him or not but easier to attract - I even received an email this morning telling me to listen out for Ruud Gullit's name!

Poor old Roy. The bloke's done nothing wrong has he. I'm actually hoping that he does the get job now. Since when have we only been about attracting the big names? If he was called Roy Hodgsono and from Italy would we be more keen? Everyone deserves a chance in life. How many players and managers from years gone by would we have missed out on at Liverpool had we adopted the modern day attitude of supporters?

I don't claim to know everything. I'm just a fan like you but I do get fed a lot of info. Having run this site for 11 years and having worked with various former and current Liverpool players and some of the best fans in the world, you do build up an extensive network of sources. Some deliver, some don't, but I understand and know how the game works and how things change in business, especially football business. I give you something to talk about i.e. Kop TALK.

Do I know who will be the next manager of Liverpool Football Club? No I don't. Do I believe that Roy Hodgson has accepted terms to manage Liverpool? Yes I do. Do I believe that there's genuinely a second candidate that Purslow would like to appoint ahead of Roy? Yes I do although he clearly likes Roy. Do I trust any of the speculation at the moment other than that associated to Roy Hodgson? No I don't. Who do I think will be the next manager? Roy Hodgson. Will I be right? I don't know and I don't care because I'm off for a pint now.

Oh, one more thing. I was told that one of the Sunday newspapers was going to run an exclusive about things... hopefully I'll have sobered up by then to see them.

Enjoy the weekend. Things should be much clearer after it.
IN SVEN VE TVUST

Tom

Fulham for life!

FC Silver Fox

Well said, Tom.  Roy Hodgson said "I'm Fulham manager. I'm perfectly happy at Fulham."

What more do you want?

If you'd rather believe the spurious gossip and scandalmongering by the lazy, shiny-bummed media hacks who pathetically call themselves journalists, then that's up to you.
I see their latest nugget of gossip is that the Scousers are considering Didier Deschamps as a new manager to replace that Spanish johnny they just go rid of.

Beamer, I'm ashamed of you even considering slapping this post into the forum. Go take a run around the light and let that sea spray freshen up your ideas, old chap.
Finn and Corked Hat, you are forever part of the family.

Chopper

Crikey. I don't understand this attitude. Roy's done nothing wrong in my book. As far as we know Liverpool have not officially made an approach and have not spoken to Roy. I don't see it's Roy's job to deny every rumour that circulates about him through the news-starved media.

If Roy stays I think we've been very lucky and will have the chance to see him continue to manage our team very well. We're more likely to retain our best players, and those players are more likely to perform well. We might win a cup, we might finish in the top 7, we might play in Euope again. All these things are a lot less likely (in my opinion) if Roy goes. Of course we might just settle into mid-table obscurity for a couple of seasons but for me that's ok to.

I really hope Roy stays and I really hope we all remain behind him and enjoy one of the greatest periods in our clubs history.
Sold my soul to the Green Pole

Lighthouse

It is very poor business by Fulham and Roy to let rumours circulated by the media if nothing was happening. As has been stated it stops Fulham doing business. YES IT IS ROYS AND FULHAMS JOB TO ANSWER OR DENY MEDIA SPECULATION.

Why do we know Liverpool have not officially made an approach? The media says it has and neither Roy or Fulham have denied it. 'I know as much as you' is not a denial. So to just say all this is lies and lazy media is... well lazy.

The question still stands. If Roy doesn't go, do we still want him? The answers are interesting but to deny the question because you think the media has been telling fibbertales for several months is just not an answer. It is a cop out. But I will take it. Roy can do no wrong in your eyes. Which is an answer of sorts.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

tingtawng

Liverpool can't have Didier Deschamps say Marseille      
26 June 2010

Roy Hodgson LiverpoolMarseille have refused to give Liverpool permission to speak to their manager Didier Deschamps.

President Jean-Claude Dassier says the Reds made an approach earlier in the week but he immediately turned us away.

Dassier said: "It's true, Liverpool's executive director, Christian Purslow, called me Thursday morning. He speaks French very well, is very polite.

"I was expecting his call because I had heard of Liverpool's interest in Didier. He asked me if I would allow him to meet Didier and (agent) Jean-Pierre Bernes.

"I replied that I would never forbid anyone from meeting whoever. I also kindly indicated to him that there wasn't the slightest chance for him to pinch our coach. Even in his dreams.

"With Didier, we have a trusting relationship.

"I hope he will commit himself to us for another year. I'm not worried.

"It's true also that Didier is flattered to see a great European club interested in him."

We find it rather strange that Liverpool have suddenly been linked with two managers that would be considered more fanciable than Roy Hodgson. First it was Frank Rijkaard, now it's Didier Deschamps.

A cynic would say that the sudden links to such candidates are there to show supporters that the club had other ideas before appointing Roy Hodgson. "We tried to get you Rijkaard but here's Roy" - that kind of thing.

KOPTALK sources maintain that Roy Hodgson has accepted terms with Liverpool and that only compensation needs to be agreed with Fulham.

Don't you think it's funny how people (agents, clubs etc) associated to the other candidates we're supposedly trying to recruit have been quoted yet Fulham, where we know there has been contact, haven't said a thing?

Roy Hodgson remains favourite to be unveiled at Anfield. However, new information came to light overnight regarding a 2nd candidate that the Reds would appoint over Hodgson if he agrees to take the job in the next 48 hours.

Keep an eye out for an exclusive in one of the Sunday newspapers. We then believe the new manager will be announced on Monday. No facts, just a hunch.

* Don't miss the editor's new editorial. That's coming up shortly and is also available to non-members.
IN SVEN VE TVUST

TonyGilroy

I'm with you Lighthouse.

He's putting himself above the interests of the club and whilst I can understand why, my feeling now is that I want him gone quick.

If for whatever reason he doesn't go to Liverpool I think he'll have damaged his standing with a fair few supporters. His silence makes it clear he wants the job and for that reason I don't want him managing my club.

Mark Hughes as a replacement would, for me, be ideal.

ron

+1 to that Chopper. Quite a few people are getting over excited about whether they'll start calling him "traitor" if he doesn't go.....(as well calling him the same if he does ! The world still turns if he does go, and we'll get someone else*......if he doesn't, things carry on as before, because he is a consummate professional who will do his best while he is here, and who has the perfect right to go where he pleases subject to contract.

* excluding Sven, of course!