Saturday Fulham Stuff (20/09/14)...

Started by WhiteJC, September 19, 2014, 06:53:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Fulham owner Shahid Khan promises 'exhaustive' search for new manager
• Caretaker Kit Symons will get chance to stake claim for job
• Felix Magath was sacked on Thursday
• Khan to bring in outside advisers over new appointment

The Fulham owner, Shahid Khan, has pledged to undertake "an exhaustive, thorough and deliberate" search for a new manager but has confirmed his temporary appointment, Kit Symons, will have an opportunity to stake a claim to take the position full-time.

Symons will take charge of Saturday's visit of Blackburn Rovers to Craven Cottage after Felix Magath was sacked on Thursday with Fulham bottom of the Championship with a solitary point from seven games to date. The former West Bromwich Albion and Norwich City managers Steve Clarke and Chris Hughton have already expressed an interest in taking the job, with Tim Sherwood and Danny Murphy also understood to be under early consideration for the role.

Khan, who bought the club from Mohamed Al Fayed 14 months ago, is seeking advice from more experienced figures within the game ahead of making an appointment. "As Kit Symons takes the reins as our caretaker manager, I will personally lead the search for our next first-team manager," said Khan, writing in his programme notes for Saturday's game against Rovers. "To address the obvious question as to whether Kit will be in consideration, the answer is yes. But this will be an exhaustive, thorough and deliberate process. No decisions will be made for the sake of deadlines or convenience.

"I plan to summon a number of qualified advisers for input, some within or close to the Fulham family and others who will bring a perspective from outside the club. In the end the decision will be mine, but the choice will be made with the benefit of excellent and highly respected counsel. This process is already under way and I look forward to tackling the challenge and opportunity ahead."

Khan is searching for his fourth permanent manager having already dismissed Martin Jol – who was in situ when the American bought the club in July 2013 – René Meulensteen and Magath, who was unable to prevent the London club's relegation from the Premier League last term and had failed to hit the ground running at the lower level.

"I don't doubt our effort on the pitch this season in the least," added the owner, who has overseen a radical restructuring of the playing staff since demotion to the second tier was confirmed. "We've been working many young homegrown players into the first-team and it's clear why our academy director, Huw Jennings, and his entire academy staff are considered the best in the business.

"But, they're learning and, as we're reminded with each match, the Championship is a rugged league. I believe our squad has competed fiercely. We saw that on Wednesday night at Nottingham Forest [when the visitors lost 5-3], and I anticipate we'll see it against Blackburn Rovers. But I'm also reminded of a quote from Bill Parcells, the legendary Hall of Fame head coach in American football, who once said: 'You are what your record says you are.'

"That's an unfortunate and unacceptable reality of our season to this point, which is why I made the decision on Thursday to make a managerial change and part ways with Felix Magath. You [the Fulham supporters] deserve better and my job – and our job – is to deliver. I promise you that we will."

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/sep/19/fulham-owner-shahid-khan-manager-search-kit-symons?

WhiteJC

The Case For Kit
by LRCN on SEPTEMBER 19, 2014

At last, Magath has gone. While most people were willing to give him the benefit of the doubt after the first 3-4 games (particularly considering the integration of youth in to the team and squad) but understandably, patience was quickly lost. There were too many baffling decisions that on no fundamental level, or at least not one that I could see, could be termed rational. Our possession play was okay, but our defending woefully, woefully inept, our team structure arbitrary (Scott Parker as a false 9?), players – very good players at that – frozen out at a whim, no consistency in team selection, an overhaul in the summer which, in my opinion, was far too radical (and I will never forgive Magath for selling Stockdale). There was a huge departure from the Fulham ethos.

Anyway, that's that. It has been destructive, and almost certainly means that we will be in the Championship beyond next summer, but order is born out of chaos. Kit Symons si the man charged with bringing about that order for now in his role as caretaker manager, but there are many reasons why he should stay.

1. He's sensible.
This is almost trivial, but the last sensible man we had was Roy Hodgson, a long four years ago now. We need someone to restore order and structure to the first team at least, something that Kit has demonstrated he can do with the youth teams he's managed. No more leaving Bryan Ruiz out of match day squads, no more lineups that feature 6 defenders, no more Ross McCormack at left wing (hopefully). I think professionalism is the word. His press conference today is worth watching (go to FulhamFC.com to catch up on everything). We have players here good enough to get results on the pitch without the most spectacular tactical mind, it's just a case of organising them in to a cohesive system.

2. He's Fulham.
In his press conference today, Kit has already alluded to the fact that he is a Fulham man, having firstly played a large role in our rise up to the Premier League and then in the background structure of the club since 2009, and right off the bat there will be a 'feel-good factor' around the team, a nice contrast to the cloud that had been hanging over the club for a few weeks now. At least he won't have to wait for results for fervent support from the fans, and his appointment won't be received with the degree of scepticism appointments usually do.

3. He's worked with the U21s.
There is not much to be proud of about Fulham at the moment, but one of them is the integration of young players in to our first team squad. We've seen some real quality from the likes of Chris David and Emerson Hyndman (the latter of which looks like he's been playing first team football for years), and Burgess has also made an impression. Symons has worked with the younger players for coming up to five years now, and is familiar with him as well as having partial responsibility for their development. I would also assume they have an affinity with him, which is no bad thing between a boss and a player. It should also be remarked he got some good results as well.

4. He has conviction.
Kit seems to have a lot of good characteristics and elements that means he will be a successful boss, but most importantly is that he wants it. He stated as bluntly as one could his ambition to become manager full-time, and that conviction and resolve will carry him through to success.

This season is effectively a write-off, although we could still push for a play-off place. Why not let Kit develop as first team manager?

LRCN.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2014/09/the-case-for-kit/?

WhiteJC

Four Fulham players who must step up following Magath's dismissal

Fulham are at the foot of the Championship table, four points from safety, and are now searching for a new manager after Felix Magath's dismissal this week.

They are in turmoil and have a squad full of players who aren't used to the Championship and are struggling immensely. In seven league games, Fulham have scored just six goals in total and have conceded 18 to have the worst defence in the league.

A draw versus Cardiff City is the only positive note from a rough start to the season so far with plenty of the club's players having a hard time.

Magath assembled a poor squad of young players and he went overboard on experience and there is a huge amount of work to do to turn around their season and prevent relegation to League One.

There is plenty of improvement to come from the players and here are the four players that need to work harder than most.

Kay Voser
The 27-year-old joined the Cottagers in the summer and has struggled massively. Playing in defence, he's not done enough to stop the rut and the former Premier League side are still searching for a clean sheet after losing six of their opening seven league games.

He has the worst Performance Scored at the club with -25 due to the goals being conceded. He averages just four defensive actions per game which is poor considering the amount of defending he's had to do so far.

His duels statistics aren't too bad, to be fair, with six successful tackles from nine attempts and 2/3 headed duels.

Moussa Dembele
This may be a slightly harsh inclusion considering this season is Dembele's first full one as a professional, but the club have relied on him in attack so far. Despite the signings of Matt Smith and Ross McCormack from Leeds United, Dembele has played three games and struggled in each one. He has attempted four shots, hitting just two on target and failing to score a goal yet.

Dembele was lethal in the club's academy sides and looks a promising talent but is struggling.

He's completed just 54% of his passes and won just 12 of 28 headed duels. Plenty of improvement required from Dembele.

Lasse Vigen Christensen
Another youngster who is struggling in the side is Lasse Christensen. The midfielder as played just twice having come through the academy but is another player who has found life at the bottom of the Championship hard.

He's completed 39 passes at an accuracy of 78% and has failed to both attempt a shot and even create a chance.

Christensen has also struggled when battling for the ball, losing all three of his headed duels and winning just two of six attempted tackles.

Chris David
A Performance Score of 66 isn't too bad but Chris David is the club's chief attacking midfielder so should be posting better figures. David has played five matches but hasn't scored yet due to having a shot accuracy of just 29%.

He has created four chances but the likes of McCormack (11) and Scott Parker (8) are leading the way and showing the rest what needs to be done to get themselves out of their current mess.

David's statistics aren't horrendous compared to other teammates, but he has a responsibility in attack and must do better otherwise Fulham could still be in trouble in 10-15 games time

Read more at http://www.squawka.com/news/four-fulham-players-who-need-to-improve/181037#CSjWS6lrwltm3IEP.99

WhiteJC

Fulham transfer news: Giorgios Karagounis interested in return following Felix Magath exit

Giorgios Karagounis would be open to a possible move back to managerless Fulham, his representative Paschalis Tountouris has told The Indepedendent.

Fulham are bottom of the Championship, with one point from their first seven games, and dismissed manager Felix Magath this week. Kit Symons will take the team for tomorrow's game against Blackburn.

Karagounis enjoyed two years at Craven Cottage before captaining Greece in the World Cup and had opportunities to join clubs in Major League Soccer and in Greece this summer. But if Fulham were to make the 37-year-old an offer, he would "think very seriously" about returning as he is still a free agent.

"I am quite sure that he would not deny helping the team in this difficult moment," Tountouris, Karagounis' representative, told The Independent. "He has a special relationship with the fans, he loved them and they loved him. He sees the team is doing badly and he is very down, he would think very seriously about joining them even in the Championship if they made an offer."

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/transfers/fulham-transfer-news-giorgios-karagounis-interested-in-return-following-felix-magath-exit-9745087.html

WhiteJC

Transfer news: Bryan Ruiz offered clean slate at Fulham

Bryan Ruiz: Ready to come back in out of the cold at Fulham

Bryan Ruiz found himself frozen out at Fulham under Felix Magath, but will be offered a clean slate by Kit Symons.

The Costa Rica international was expected to move on over the summer after spending the second-half of last season on loan at PSV Eindhoven.

With Fulham having also tumbled out of the Premier League, a man who caught the eye at the World Cup finals was tipped to take on a new challenge.

No deal was done, though, and Ruiz found himself left in the Craven Cottage shadows under Magath.

He has, however, been relieved of his managerial duties following a forgettable start to the 2014/15 campaign and caretaker coach Symons is ready to give everyone on the club's books an opportunity to start afresh.

He said ahead of his first game at home to Blackburn Rovers on Saturday: "I had a couple of conversations with players last night, and Bryan was one of them.

"He's a fantastic footballer and is very upbeat and positive. That's a great start.

"I was delighted with the conversation and looking forward to seeing him in training."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/9478968/transfer-news-bryan-ruiz-offered-clean-slate-at-fulham?

WhiteJC

Fulham youngsters need time – Symons

Fulham caretaker manager Kit Symons has suggested that a number of the club's youngsters stepped up to first-team level too early.

Felix Magath, who was sacked as manager on Thursday, formed a new youthful side in the summer, with a number of players plucked from Symons' successful Under-21 team.

"We've got an excellent academy system – some great young players," Symons said ahead of his first game in charge, against Blackburn's on Saturday.

"The Championship is a very tough league and young players have a place to play in it. But it's difficult for them – they need experience around them and it's about getting the balance right.

"I'd sat down with my Under-21 staff and we expected a lot of them [young players] to be with us. We had plans put in place for each individual player but obviously that changed during the window.

"A lot of the young players went straight up to the first-team group in the summer and there was no regular dialogue with Felix about players going up or down.

"They need to develop. Whilst I am in charge they'll be getting special work, extra help, on top of what we do – it will be a focus of mine."

Symons has already indicated that Bryan Ruiz, an outcast under Magath, will be given the chance to get back into the team.

The likes of Hugo Rodallega and Fernando Amorebieta could also play significant roles.

"It's definitely a clean slate for everyone. I know a lot of managers will say that but I want the best team possible for Fulham, wherever they're from," Symons said.

"I know how I'm going to do things now. I'm not worried about what Felix did. I very much want to get the players enjoying their football again, playing with a freedom."

http://www.westlondonsport.com/fulham/fulham-youngsters-need-time-symons?

WhiteJC

Neil Lennon Admits Interest in Cardiff and Fulham Jobs

Neil Lennon admits he would be interested in taking over at either Fulham or Cardiff City, with both Championship clubs currently looking for a new manager.

Fulham ended Felix Magath's reign yesterday when showing the former Bayern Munich manager the door following a poor start to the season which sees the Cottagers bottom of the league with one point from seven games.

Cardiff meanwhile chose to axe Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, also for a run of poor results, and with the Norwegian having presided over just five wins in his 25 games in charge.

Lennon, who left Scottish champions Celtic at the end of last season, is attracted to both clubs.

"They are two excellent clubs. Would I be interested in managing either of them? Of course I would", the 43-year-old told BBC Radio 5 live.

"I'm enjoying what I am doing at the moment but I want to get back into management and both clubs would appeal to me.

"I want a new challenge. I had a great challenge for four years at Celtic but I felt I had come to the end of the cycle there and wanted to do something else with my career.

"I'm hoping to be in work sooner rather than later.

"I had four years in a goldfish bowl and it gets very intense. I have enjoyed the break, even though I didn't think I would, but you can only do that for so long", the Northern Irishman added.

http://www.insidefutbol.com/2014/09/19/neil-lennon-admits-interest-in-cardiff-and-fulham-jobs/161879/?