more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Sunday Fulham Stuff (20/09/14)...

Started by WhiteJC, September 20, 2014, 06:52:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Mark Hughes & Fulham's way forward

THE cherry on top to the torrid tasting cake of the Championship finally saw the flat Felix Magath sacked as Fulham manager late Thursday afternoon.

It was obvious relief for the fans of Fulham and football in general. An obviously unpopular figure from the outset to be in charge, it will come with good riddance from the players to see the German leave. The man evidently never had a clue about English football.

2011. Mark Hughes takes over from Roy Hodgson. Whilst Hughes would never fill the shoes of the Holy Hodgson, Hughes did well at Fulham. He played attractive football and won games comprehensively. It was all a bit bizarre in the manner he left the club. Some fans were bothered but most of us weren't. Hughes behaviour over the course of his time looked as if he never really 'got' Fulham. Hughes left Fulham in bad taste as he labelled Fulham's "lack of ambition".

Myself included, ridiculed Hughes. How dare he insult our club, we're never picked on. A European final and a crammed cottage every other week. Only on the up with such a charismatic chairman.

However now, looking back it's clear his 'ambition' quotes held up in good value. It's obvious Hughes was told there will be no real money to spend whilst Al Fayed tried to sell the club. Hughes will have the last laugh now, I'm sure he doesn't have any hate towards Fulham but I'm sure he will always have the 'I told you so' on the end of his tongue. His vision outweighed our desire to stay amongst the elite. I don't blame al Fayed for wanting to sell, footballs a business. But the lack of money towards the end is the reason we're in this state.

Now we must move on, we have a good owner. He may have had a bad start to life in English football but he seems a genuine bloke. The next manager is pivotal to our club. It's do or die in SW6 unfortunately.

Caretaker Kit Symons came out very confident in his first press conference, he obviously wants the job. He knows English football and more importantly knows the club. If the next few results go well id be more than happy for Kit to pilot a much needed take off to the campaign.

However the safe option would be to rely on experience. Chris Hughtons' name has been in the fold and I think he would do the job. He might not light us up but he'd bring stability. After being thrown off the boat at Norwich he has something to prove.

What's mostly important is the sails of the ship stabilise upon the Thames once again.

© e-Football 2014 All rights reserved no part of this document or this website may be reproduced without consent of e-Football

http://efootballnet.blogspot.co.uk/2014/09/mark-hughes-fulhams-way-forward.html

WhiteJC

Both Relegated sides Fulham and Cardiff looking for new boss

Former Celtic manager Neil Lennon says the vacant managerial posts at Cardiff City and Fulham interest him.
Lennon, 43, has been out of work since leaving Celtic in May after four years in charge.

"They are two excellent clubs. Would I be interested in managing either of them? Of course I would," he said on BBC Radio 5 live.

Leyton Orient manager Russell Slade is the bookmakers' favourite for the Cardiff job while former Newcastle and Norwich boss Chris Hughton is the shortest odds to take charge at Fulham.

Lennon, who led Celtic to three Scottish league titles and two Scottish Cups, said he is keen to get back into management quickly.

"I want a new challenge. I had a great challenge for four years at Celtic but I felt I had come to the end of the cycle there and wanted to do something else with my career," said the Northern Irishman, who also took the Scottish side to the Champions League last 16.

"I'm hoping to be in work sooner rather than later.

"I had four years in a goldfish bowl and it gets very intense. I have enjoyed the break, even though I didn't think I would, but you can only do that for so long."

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer left his job in charge at Cardiff on Thursday, the same day that Fulham sacked Felix Magath.

JB

http://www.footballtradedirectory.com/news/2014/september/both-relegated-sides-fulham-and-cardiff.html?

WhiteJC

Blackburn Rovers' Jordan Rhodes inflicts more pain on 10-man Fulham

Fulham's Championship woes continued when they lost to Blackburn Rovers at Craven Cottage after having to play the whole of the second half with 10 men.

Already managerless, after the exit of Felix Magath in midweek, Fulham were reduced to 10 on the stroke of half-time, when Shaun Hutchinson saw red for a poor tackle on Lee Williamson.

Jordan Rhodes condemned Fulham to their seventh defeat in eight league matches when he stroked home early in the second half.

Magath, who succeeded René Meulensteen in February, lasted just 217 days, during which he oversaw Fulham's relegation from the Premier League and their plunge to the bottom of the Championship this season.

Six defeats in their opening seven matches finally persuaded Shahid Khan, the Fulham owner, that enough was enough. He dismissed Magath on Thursday and placed the under-21 coach, Kit Symons, in temporary charge.

Symons immediately brought Bryan Ruiz back into the side, the Costa Rican having been strangely ostracised by Magath despite the winger having had an impressive World Cup finals in Brazil during the summer.

Ruiz looked lively early on against Blackburn, starting wide on the right but often drifting inside in an attempt to support the strikers, Ross McCormack and Hugo Rodallega.

But his deep forays came to nothing and it was Blackburn who emerged the superior after the tame initial exchanges. Ben Marshall carelessly blazed over after a promising run.

Alex Baptiste crossed from the right as Blackburn continued to press, but Rhodes was unable to guide his header on goal and the ball flew harmlessly wide.

The Blackburn centre-back Shane Duffy was also left ridiculously unmarked at a free-kick, delivered by Tom Cairney, but his header back into the home area was scrambled clear.

Finally, approaching the half-hour mark, Fulham got going. Konstantinos Stafylidis made ground along the left flank, but his low cross was comfortably caught by the Blackburn goalkeeper, Jason Steele.

Soon after, Fernando Amorebieta found Ruiz with time and space 27 yards out. But the Costa Rican suffered a rush of blood, lost his composure and directed his shot wildly over Steele's crossbar.

Still, it was more encouraging for Fulham. And Symons, the former Fulham and Wales defender.

Rodallega reinforced that growing optimism close to half-time, when he ran through unchallenged. But he also lost his composure at the crucial moment, and fired wide.

However, Fulham were rocked in the second minute of stoppage time, when centre-back Shaun Hutchinson was sent off for a dreadful tackle on Blackburn midfielder Lee Williamson.

Hutchinson was immediately red-carded by the referee, Andy D'Urso, and Williamson, who appeared to have a serious leg injury, was carried off on a stretcher.

It was Fulham's second dismissal in three games, Matt Smith having gone 18 minutes into his debut in the 3-0 defeat at Reading.

Down to 10 men, Fulham struggled to survive early in the second half. Marcus Bettinelli saved well from close range to deny Rudy Gestede, and Craig Conway, Williamson's replacement, drove over.

The dam had to break and, in the 58th minute, it did. A wayward shot from Corry Evans took a double deflection on its way through to Jordan Rhodes, who comfortably despatched his fourth goal of the season.

Fulham responded with spirit and could have equalised five minute later. Tim Hoogland raced along the left wing and crossed for the unmarked McCormack. The £11 million striker shot on target, but Steele saved well with his legs.

However, Rhodes could have increased Blackburn's soon after. He rounded Bettinelli with ease, but his effort towards the empty net was blocked by the retreating Dan Burn.

Fulham gave it one last go near the end, as Blackburn looked to hold on to what they had, but Hoogland drove narrowly wide. Once again, it was just not their day.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/sep/20/fulham-blackburn-championship-match-report?

WhiteJC

Fulham 0 Blackburn 1: Caretaker boss Kit Symons can't arrest Cottagers' alarming run of form

Fulham's wait for a first win of the season continues as Jordan Rhodes secured Blackburn victory on an afternoon marred by a serious-looking injury to Lee Williamson.

A shocking start to life in the Sky Bet Championship led owner Shahid Khan to belatedly wield the axe against unpopular Felix Magath two days ago.

Caretaker manager Kit Symons was charged of leading the rock-bottom Cottagers to a win at the eighth time of asking, but it was not to be as Rovers made the most of their one-man advantage by securing a 1-0 win at Craven Cottage.

Shaun Hutchinson's sickening first-half challenge on Williamson proved the tipping point in west London, with the Fulham man given a straight red card for a tackle that saw the midfielder taken straight to hospital.

Rovers capitalised on their extra man after a Corry Evans shot fell fortuitously for Rhodes, who directed home the decisive goal on an afternoon which will leave Fulham fans with renewed hope despite another defeat.

Symons made three changes - including Bryan Ruiz's first Fulham appearance since December - for a match ahead of which the feel-good factor was palpable around the ground.

Gone was the negativity brought by Magath, although the Whites' defensive problems were still evident - issues that will have made former club captain Brede Hangeland, sitting with fans in the Hammersmith End, wince.

Ben Marshall, Rhodes and Rudy Gestede were all guilty of poor attempts before Fulham rustled up their first shot in the 28th minute, when the otherwise impressive Ruiz blazed over a Fernando Amorebieta cutback.

Symons' side kicked on for the remainder of the first half and Hugo Rodallega came close with a 25-yard strike, having burst through on goal in a move started by a strong Scott Parker tackle.

Deadline-day signing Jason Steele was fortunate not to ruin his debut with a poor clearance that deflected off the Colombian just wide, before the game took a nasty turn.

As half-time approached Hutchinson launched into an ill-advised, over-zealous challenge on Williamson, leaving the midfielder in a heap.

Referee Andy D'Urso gave a straight red card and, after several minutes of treatment, the Rovers man left the field on a stretcher.

The sending off gave Rovers the upper hand and Gestede's attempt to find an opener at the start of the second half had to be well saved by Marcus Bettinelli.

Fulham soon had to scramble away a Craig Conway free-kick, before eventually galling behind in the 58th minute.

A hopeful strike from Evans ricocheted off two Fulham players into the path of Rhodes, who prodded home impressively to give Rovers the lead.

Fulham refused to give in, though, and an excellent counter-attack involving Parker and Tim Hoogland would have been turned in by Ross McCormack was it not for a fine Steele save.

Ruiz and Rodallega saw penalty appeals waved away soon after, before Blackburn came close in quick succession as Dan Burn blocked a Rhodes effort after rounding Bettinelli before a Gestede header deflected just wide.

It was rare moment of respite in the closing stages for Blackburn as Fulham pushed for a leveller.

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/fulham-0-blackburn-1-caretaker-boss-kit-symons-cant-arrest-cottagers-alarming-form-9746060.html

WhiteJC

Blackburn man avoids serious injury

Blackburn boss Gary Bowyer says Lee Williamson has avoided serious injury despite being stretchered off against Fulham.

The Rovers midfielder was taken straight to hospital after Shaun Hutchinson's dangerous challenge just before half-time resulted in a straight red card for the Whites defender.

"Fortunately for us and for Lee, he has got lucky – there's no break," Bowyer said.

"He has a lovely pattern down his leg so he will be badly bruised, that's for sure, but fortunately at this moment there's no break in it. We're delighted for him.

"Willo, I thought, was playing ever so well up until that point, but the main thing is that he has been able to limp out of here.

"It is one of them where the ball runs away from the lad, he has aplogised and that's no problem."

http://www.westlondonsport.com/fulham/fulham-fulham/blackburn-man-avoids-serious-injury?

WhiteJC

Championship Review: Fulham woes continue under Symons

Fulham's torrid Championship season continued as they lost their first game under caretaker boss Kit Symons 1-0 to Blackburn Rovers.
Felix Magath was sacked by Fulham owner Shahid Khan on Thursday, after the German guided the team to just one point from their opening seven matches following relegation from the Premier League in May.
Symons was appointed as a temporary replacement, but a change of leadership could not bring about an upturn in fortunes as they went down to Jordan Rhodes' solitary strike at Craven Cottage.
Fulham's Shaun Hutchinson was shown a straight red card in first-half stoppage time for a studs-up challenge on Lee Williamson, who had to be carried from the field on a stretcher.
Rhodes then stabbed home a loose ball in the 58th minute to complete Fuham's misery and ensure they stay rooted to the foot of the table.
Another side who axed their manager in the week fared slightly better, as Cardiff City drew 2-2 at Derby County after Ole Gunnar Solskjaer departed on Thursday.
Under the caretaker duo of Danny Gabbidon and Scott Young, the Welsh outfit looked set for all three points when Aron Gunnarsson and Peter Whittingham put them two goals to the good shortly after half-time.
But the hosts had other ideas, Jordan Ibe halving the deficit in the 61st minute, before Craig Bryson earned a point for his side six minutes from time.

Just above Fulham at the bottom are Blackpool, who earned only their second point of the campaign with a goalless draw at Brighton and Hove Albion.
At the opposite end of the table, Wolves gained ground on the leading pair of Nottingham Forest and Norwich City as Nouha Dicko's first-half goal sealed a 1-0 win over Bolton Wanderers, who were left to rue Owen Garvan's missed penalty in the second period.
The win for Kenny Jackett's side saw them move level with Norwich and a point adrift of leaders Forest after both sides were held.
Stuart Pearce's Forest drew 0-0 at Millwall, while Norwich fought back well from two down to force a 2-2 draw at home to Birmingham City, thanks to a brace from Cameron Jerome.
The most convincing winners of the day were Middlesbrough, who thrashed Brentford 4-0 at home, while Leeds United were similarly comfortable in seeing off Yorkshire neighbours Huddersfield Town 3-0 at Elland Road.
Both victors saw men sent off in Dean Whitehead and Gaetano Berardi respectively, but the dismissals came too late to have any bearing on the results.
Elsewhere, Sheffield Wednesday's strong start to the season continued with a 1-0 win over Reading, while the games between Rotherham United and Charlton Athletic and Watford versus Bournemouth ended 1-1.

http://www.sportal.co.nz/football/news/championship-review-fulham-woes-continue-under-symons/1mchiqb6wsabg184iswcp82mv9?

WhiteJC

Symons upbeat despite defeat

Caretaker manager Kit Symons was proud of his players despite Fulham's winless start to the Championship season stretching to an eighth match against Blackburn.

disastrous start to the campaign led to the sacking of unpopular Felix Magath two days ago and the Under-21s manager taking charge of first-team duties for Rovers' visit to Craven Cottage on Saturday. There was to be no change in fortunes, though, as Fulham fell to a 1-0 defeat as Jordan Rhodes struck in the second half of a much-improved performance. Shaun Hutchinson's red card at the end of the first half tipped the balance in Rovers' favour in a match which left Symons with an overriding feeling of pride. "I just said to the players in there I was very proud of the performance today," he said. "There was nothing in the first half, 11 v 11, and even in the second half we put up a good performance and had a few chances to win the game or get back into it when they got the goal. "We were very much in the game and it was a disciplined, resolute performance with 10 men. "We had to change the shape and formation a few times to try and get us back into it, but it didn't quite work today. "But I couldn't ask any more of the players. I am delighted with the performance overall. "There is a lot of stuff we need to work on and I am going to be a busy boy in training, but the attitude and the response in the two days I've taken over has been brilliant from the boys. "If we keep getting that, we will work our way up the league very soon." Symons has made no secret of his desire to take Fulham job permanently but knows he has competition, with former Cardiff boss Malky Mackay at Craven Cottage on Saturday. "It's great, it is something I've always wanted to do," he said. "I want the owner to pick the best person for the job because I love this football club and I want it do well, so we'll see." Blackburn counterpart Gary Bowyer was pleased with his side's display in the difficult conditions brought by the ground swell of support behind Symons. The Rovers manager was even more happy to report Lee Williamson avoided serious injury after the sickening first-half challenge from Hutchinson. The Fulham defender received a straight red card for a tackle that saw the midfielder taken straight to hospital, but fortunately he has avoided a broken leg. "Fortunately for us and for Lee, he has got lucky," Bowyer said. "There's no break. "He has a lovely pattern down his leg so he will be badly bruised, that's for sure, but fortunately at this moment there's no break in it. We're delighted for him. "Willo, I thought, was playing ever so well up until that point, but the main thing is that he has been able to limp out of here. "It is one of them where the ball runs away from the lad, he has apologised and that's no problem."

Read more at: https://www.clubcall.com/blackburn-rovers/symons-upbeat-despite-defeat-1741041.html?

WhiteJC

Fulham defender Shaun Hutchinson says sorry for horror tackle on Blackburn's Lee Williamson

Cottagers forced to play with 10 men for more than 45 minutes after red card

Red mist: Shaun Hutchinson receives his marching orders
Shaun Hutchinson has apologised for his horror tackle on Blackburn's Lee Williamson as Fulham slipped to a 1-0 defeat at Craven Cottage.

The Fulham defender saw red for his X-rated challenge that saw the Rovers midfielder stretchered off before the break.

Williamson was given the all-clear after being checked over by doctors, but Hutchinson has held his hands up for the reckless lunge.

"It was a straight red, no doubt about it," admitted Fulham's caretaker boss Kit Symons afterwards.

"He was distraught in the changing room at half-time. The best thing is Williamson is OK. It was a poor tackle.

"It's a typical centre-half who has come out to play and has made a bad touch and tries to make amends but compounds the situation. There's no malice in Shaun Hutchinson at all but he's very upset."

The Cottagers put in an improved performance but Jordan Rhodes grabbed the only goal of the game to earn Rovers the points.

Symons was encouraged by his side's display, despite the reverse.

He added: "I couldn't ask any more of the players. I'm delighted with the performance over all.

"There are a lot of things to work on. I'm going to be a busy boy in training for sure. But the attitude and response in the two days I've taken over has been brilliant.

"If I keep doing that, we'll work our way up the league very soon."

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/fulham-defender-shaun-hutchinson-says-7805352?

WhiteJC

Fulham 0 Blackburn 1: Winless run continues for Fulham even after Felix Magath's departure
Jordan Rhodes scored the winner for the visitors as Kit Symons' side went down to 10-men in their seventh league defeat of the season

Seeing red: Blackburn's Lee Williamson receives treatment after a tackle from Fulham's Shaun Hutchinson Photo: ACTION

Fulham are without a manager or a win after an opportunist goal from Jordan Rhodes dented Kit Symons' chances of landing the role on a permanent basis, with Malky Mackay present among the Craven Cottage crowd.

This was a result which hinged on a moment of madness from Shaun Hutchinson, whose dangerous foul on Lee Williamson on the stroke of half-time earned a red card and forced the Cottagers to play the second half with 10 men.

"I couldn't ask anymore of the players today," said Symons, adding that Hutchinson was "distraught" with himself.

"I was proud of the performance. The attitude and response in the two days since I've taken over have been excellent," added the club's Under-21 coach.

Shahid Khan, the Fulham owner, told the club's supporters he "will personally lead the search" for the club's new manager and confirmed that caretaker boss Symons was under consideration ahead of kick-off, while Neil Lennon and former-player Danny Murphy have also expressed an interest in the post, with Mackay also among the possible candidates.

Given the unmitigated failure of his previous appointments, Rene Muelensteen and Felix Magath, since he acquired the club 14 months ago, Khan's words are unlikely to provide reassurance.

"I want the owner to pick the best person for the job because I love this football club, but I felt very at home and really enjoyed it," said Symons.

He recalled Bryan Ruiz to his first selection, much to the delight of supporters. Fernando Amorebieta presented him with Fulham's first real attempt but the Costa Rica international blazed well-over from 20 yards and made little impression thereafter though Symons described his display as "solid". Despite the dearth of excitement on offer, there was an air of catharsis around Craven Cottage following Magath's exit.

The German, it seems, was not a popular figure at the club and, following a punishing training regime of three sessions a day, many of which did not feature a football, there was a buoyant atmosphere among supporters.

Hutchinson, the 23-year-old centre-back, was guilty of over-exuberance however. When he launched himself into a high, wild challenge which caused Lee Williamson to leave the field on the stretcher, Fulham faced an uphill task.

"Fortunately for us there's no break so we're delighted for him," said the Blackburn Rovers manager,Gary Bowyer. "He [Hutchinson] has apologised to the club and the player so there's no hard feelings."

Blackburn sought to press home their advantage immediately. Rudy Gestede had a close-range effort smothered by Marcus Bettinelli just after the break before Jordan Rhodes showed all of his predatory instincts to steer the ball beyond the Fulham keeper after it arrived with him via Dan Burn, having largely been a spectator before that decisive intervention.

"It's outstanding skill and the way he dealt with it [the ricochet] was magnificent," Bowyer said.

Fulham were neat but never threatened and playing half of this game with 10 men will not disguise their delicate confidence and toothless attack.

Scott Parker ran tirelessly throughout and from a marauding break, slid the ball wide to Hoogland who switched to Ross McCormack, though the £11million pound striker was unable to beat Jason Steele when well placed.

Fulham (4-3-1-2): Bettinelli; Hoogland, Burn, Hutchinson, Amorebieta; Vigen Christensen, Parker, Stafylidis (Roberts 83); Ruiz (Williams 72); Rodallega, McCormack.

Subs: Kiraly, Bodurov, Dembele, Hyndman, Kavanagh.
Booked: McCormack, Hoogland, Amorebieta
Sent off: Hutchinson

Blackburn (4-4-2): Steele; Baptiste, Duffy, Hanley, Olsson; Cairney (Taylor 46), Williamson (Conway 45), Evans, Marshall; Gestede, Rhodes (Varney 78).
Subs: Eastwood, Henley, Kilagallon, King.
Booked: Evans, Taylor.

Referee: A D'Urso (Essex)

Attendance: 16,456

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/competitions/championship/11111278/Fulham-0-Blackburn-1-Winless-run-continues-for-Fulham-even-after-Felix-Magaths-departure.html

WhiteJC

Malky Mackay linked with Fulham job after being spotted at Craven Cottage
The former Cardiff boss watched Fulham's 1-0 defeat against Blackburn
Malky Mackay is said to be friends with caretaker manager Kit Symons
Speculation continues to grow over who will replace Felix Magath

Malky Mackay was in the director's box at Craven Cottage as speculation over who would replace Felix Magath as Fulham manager grew.

The German was sacked on Thursday after a miserable start to the season in which Fulham have picked up just one point in the league and their only win came in the Capital One Cup against Brentford.

Kit Symons was given the job on a temporary basis and owner Shahid Khan has promised to undertake 'an exhaustive, thorough and deliberate' search for a new manager.

Malky Mackay was pictured at the Cottage to witness Fulham's Championship encounter against Blackburn

Mackay was close to returning to management until Crystal Palace pulled the plug on appointing the Scotsman as manager after Sportsmail revealed allegations over messages he exchanged with Iain Moody

Chris Hughton (left) and Steve Clarke (right) have both been linked with taking over the reins at Fulham

Mackay is one of the names being linked with the job along with Chris Hughton and Steve Clarke and was at Saturday's 1-0 defeat to Blackburn.

It is believed Mackay and Symons are friends and that the Scot has not held talks with Fulham as yet.

Mackay has been out of work since being sacked by Cardiff last season and had looked set to be named as the new Crystal Palace manager in the summer.

But he was not considered for the job once explicit and offensive text messages from his time at Cardiff came to light.

Fulham owner Khan is searching for his fourth manager in his 14 months since buying the club from Mohammed Al Fayed in 2013.

Shahid Khan will decide who he wants to replace Felix Magath at the helm of the west London club

Kit Symons is in temporary control of Fulham after Magath was dismissed from his role at the club

And in his programme notes ahead of Saturday's defeat to Blackburn said: 'As Kit Symons takes the reins as our caretaker manager, I will personally lead the search for our next first-team manager.

'To address the obvious question as to whether Kit will be in consideration, the answer is yes. But this will be an exhaustive, thorough and deliberate process. No decisions will be made for the sake of deadlines or convenience.

'I plan to summon a number of qualified advisers for input, some within or close to the Fulham family and others who will bring a perspective from outside the club. In the end the decision will be mine, but the choice will be made with the benefit of excellent and highly respected counsel.

'This process is already under way and I look forward to tackling the challenge and opportunity ahead.'

Symons remains keen on the job and has the backing of the Craven Cottage fans due to his links to the club.

Following the defeat, he said: 'Football at this level is all about results, but with a performance like that the results will come.

'I felt very at home in the dugout. Result aside it was a good day, but I want the owner to pick the right man for this club.'

Fulham face Doncaster Rovers in the Capital One Cup on Tuesday before travelling to St Andrew's to play Birmingham.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2763606/Malky-Mackay-linked-Fulham-job-spotted-Craven-Cottage.html#ixzz3DvLXaXSv
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

WhiteJC

Fulham vs Blackburn Rovers match report: Kit Symons at back of job queue

The job applications have come in thick and fast as Fulham look to appoint their fourth manager since Shahid Khan took over in July 2013. After Felix Magath's midweek sacking, they are four points from safety with just seven games gone.

If you believe what you read the queue is already stretching round the corner from Craven Cottage. Neil Lennon, Steve Clarke, Tim Sherwood, Danny Murphy and Chris Hughton to name just a few. It was even claimed Malky Mackay was spotted in the crowd. Standing in their way is Kit Symons, Fulham's Under-21 manager and hugely popular with players and fans alike.

But if Symons, the caretaker boss, is to secure a job he openly craves, he will have to hit the ground running with a team short on experience and low on confidence. Fulham have already conceded 18 goals and in the first half their fragile defence looked vulnerable when Blackburn ventured into their half.

Yet free from the shackles of the Magath dictatorship, Fulham's confidence started to return. It was evident Symons was having an impact after just one training session. They looked like they were going to reach the break without conceding until Shaun Hutchinson was sent off for a reckless challenge on Lee Williamson in first-half injury time. Williamson was stretched off after Hutchinson went through him like an express train leaving Andy D'Urso little choice but to show red.

So Fulham found themselves in family territory with their backs to the wall and when Jordan Rhodes fired home in the 58th minute you feared the worse. But after the goal there was only one team in it.

On another day Fulham would have secured their first victory of the season and you couldn't help feeling with a full team they would have done. To their detriment they found Blackburn keeper Jason Steele in breathtaking form. He denied Ross McCormack, Hugo Rodallega and substitute George Williams as Fulham pressed.

But there was no joy for Symons. "Naturally I'm disappointed but I'm not despondent," he said. "I couldn't have asked any more of the players. The attitude and response I have got in just two days has been fantastic and if we can build on that we will start to climb up the league."

Symons said he couldn't fault his team's effort despite having a player sent off. "Obviously it was unfortunate. The boy was distraught, he knew it was a bad tackle. But there was no malice involved. He's just not like that."

Blackburn boss, Gary Bowyer, was impressed with Symons. "Full credit to Kit," he said. He's probably had one training session and you can see he's done a terrific job. He is going in the right direction."

Line-ups:

Fulham (4-4-2): Bettinelli; Amorebieta, Burn, Hutchinson,  Hoogland; Stafylidis (Roberts 83), Parker, Ruiz (Williams 73), Christensen; Rodallega, McCormack.

Blackburn (4-4-2): Steele; Olsson, Duffy, Hanley, Baptiste; Cairney (Taylor 45), Evans, Williams (Conway 45), Marshall; Gestede, Rhodes (Varney 78).

Referee: Andy D'Urso

Man of the match: Steele (Blackburn)

Match rating: 7/10

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/football-league/fulham-vs-blackburn-rovers-match-report-kit-symons-at-back-of-job-queue-9746485.html