more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Wednesday Fulham Stuff (22/10/14)...

Started by WhiteJC, October 22, 2014, 04:30:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Full time: Rotherham United 3 Fulham 3

A last minute equaliser by Fulham captain Dan Burn prevented Rotherham United winning all three points in a pulsating match at New York Stadium.

An own goal by Fulham defender Nikolay Bodurov had seemingly given Rotherham the victory in the 86th minute before Burn headed a corner past Millers keeper Adam Collin.

Ben Pringle's drilled shot had hit two Fulham defenders before finding the net as the Millers piled on the pressure but they couldn't hang on.

Earlier Paul Taylor had given Rotherham the lead against Fulham but Ross McCormack has levelled for the visitors from the penalty spot.

The Millers were rewarded for their early domination in the 28th minute as Taylor cut in from the right to score past Marcus Bettinelli - Alex Revell seemed to claim a touch as the ball went in, although he may have been in an offside position.

Fulham were only behind for five minutes as George Williams was brought down by Lee Frecklington in the penalty area and McCormack lashed the spot kick past Collin.

Jonson Clarke-Harris put Rotherham United back in front against Fulham at New York Stadium midway through the second half but within three minutes the visitors equalised again.

Pringle's left wing cross was met by a volley from Clarke-Harris which flew past Bettinelli on 55 minutes and Cauley Woodrow made it 2-2 as his left foot shot flew into Collin's top right hand corner.

Clarke-Harris was rewarded for his Yorkshire derby heroics with a start for Rotherham.

Clarke-Harris came off the bench last Friday to make his home debut and hit the winner against Leeds United two minutes after his introduction.

The 20-year-old striker was partnered with Alex Revell up front, with Matt Derbyshire dropping to the bench.

In the only other change to the starting line-up, Paul Taylor came in for Ryan Hall, who began against Leeds but didn't even make the bench tonight.

Fulham made five changes to the side which beat high-flying Norwich City on Saturday, mindful that they have a London derby on Friday in front of the Sky TV cameras against Charlton Athletic.

Hugo Rodallega and Bryan Ruiz were rested completely, Scott Parker and Sean Kavanagh were subs while Tim Hoogland missed out injured.

The Millers have extended their unbeaten run in the Championship to four matches.

Rotherham United: Collin, Richardson, Morgan, Arnason, Skarz, Taylor, Frecklington, Green, Pringle, Revell, Clarke-Harris. Subs: Loach, Broadfoot, Bowery, Swift, Derbyshire, Wordsworth, Smallwood.

Fulham: Bettinelli, Stafylidis, Bodurov, Eisfeld, Zverotic, Woodrow, Christensen, Williams, Hyndmanv, Burn, McCormack. Subs: Kiraly, Hutchinson, Parker, Smith, Roberts, Dembele, Kavanagh.

Referee: Mark Brown (East Yorkshire).

http://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/rotherham/full-time-rotherham-united-3-fulham-3-1-6908781

WhiteJC

Fulham battle to hard-earned draw

Fulham continued their resurgence under Kit Symons as they fought from behind three times to earn a point in an entertaining 3-3 draw at Rotherham in the Sky Bet Championship.

The Cottagers, who arrived at New York Stadium with three wins from their previous four matches, were up against it as they trailed on three occasions to Millers strikes from Alex Revell, Jonson Clarke-Harris and an Nikolay Bodurov own goal just four minutes from time.

But they responded in a positive manner every time, eradicating their first deficit within five minutes through Ross McCormack, their second within three thanks to Cauley Woodrow's strike and their third within four through Dan Burn to ensure it ended all-square.

The Fulham of the early season would have probably wilted under some strong home pressure, but Symons' men are a different breed and the caretaker boss must now be in pole position for the job on a permanent basis.

Rotherham will be left to rue their failure to win a match they led on three occasions but a points haul of eight from games with Blackburn, Norwich, Leeds and the Cottagers has to be considered a good return.

Indeed, in light of their recent form the Millers came into the game with plenty of confidence and took control of the early stages, though, despite plenty of balls into the box, could not fashion out any chances.

After much huffing and puffing they finally took the lead their play deserved in the 28th minute with a goal that was credited to Revell.

The hosts broke at pace and Lee Frecklington fed the ball to Paul Taylor, who cut inside on to his left foot and curled in a shot that was deemed to have clipped the legs of team-mate Revell, with the striker wheeling away claiming the goal.

But the lead was short-lived as Fulham were level within five minutes as McCormack expertly converted from the penalty spot after Frecklington had fouled George Williams.

Rotherham were not deterred by being pegged back and continued to look the more dangerous, with Revell hooking another effort just over and Frecklington being denied by a decent save by Marcus Bettinelli.

The interval came at the wrong time for the Millers as Fulham began the second period strongly and Lasse Christensen and Konstantinos Stafylidis both forced Adam Collin into saves.

But the hosts regained their lead in the 55th minute with a fine goal. A long throw was cleared back out to Ben Pringle and the midfielder whipped in a superb cross for Clarke-Harris to athletically flick the ball home.

It was his second goal in two appearances as he continues to pay back the club-record B£400,000 that the Millers paid for him in August.

But again Steve Evans' men could not hold their lead for long and this time the visitors needed only three minutes to level.

The hosts were far too loose at the back and after the ball was played out to Woodrow on the left, the striker cut in and curled superbly into the top corner.

Kari Arnason missed two chances to restore the Millers lead and Matt Derbyshire squandered an opportunity from just two yards with the goal gaping, but it looked like it was going to be a home win when Bodurov turned into his own net from Pringle's shot.

But Fulham refused to lie down and levelled in the 90th minute when Burn headed in a corner to ensure a thrilling game ended even.

http://www.espnfc.co.uk/english-league-championship/story/2102113/fulham-battle-to-hard-earned-draw?

WhiteJC

Fulham fight back three times to inch Symons closer to manager's job

Whites land last minute equaliser to draw with Rotherham

Ross McCormack (C) scores the first goal for Fulham from a penalty
Rotherham United 3-3 Fulham

Fulham were behind three times but bravely fought back all three times to claim a much deserved point.

Ross McCormack's corner was headed down and in by Dan Burn at exactly the same time as the added time indicator went up to herald the end of the game.

Most sides would have been out for the count that fitted well with  local lad Kell Brook, who showed off his world championship welterweight belt before the game, but not the renewed Whites under caretaker boss Kit Symons.

Paul Taylor shoots which leads to Alex Revell (not pictured) scoring the first goal for Rotherham
A much-changed outfit from Saturday's win over Norwich battled bravely to haul back two deficits, and then a third struck by Ben Pringle took a deflection off Niko Bodurov six minutes from time.

Earlier, Cauley Woodrow struck only his second goal in white, and McCormack converted a first half penalty to cancel out two Rotherham leads

A dull game to life in the 28th minute when Paul Taylor cut inside and beat Marcus Bettinelli with a low drive. The ball got a nick off Rotherham striker Alex Revell standing offside - and the Whites keeper shot off his line to remonstrate with the referee.

In fact, the young gloveman went 40 yards in pursuit of the official and got a yellow card for his fruitless pursuit.

His ire was eased just five minutes later.

For the first time, Fulham got forward enough for George Williams to charge into the box and get upended by Lee Frecklington.

McCormack delighted the 630 west Londoners by sending the keeper the wrong way from the spot.

But Rotherham finished the half the stronger when Revell fired over and Bettinelli saved superbly well from to divert Frecklington's header.

The home side were ahead a second time after a succession of throw-ins edged them close enough for Jonson Clarke-Harris fired home from inside the box.

Fulham caretaker manager Kit Symons
Once again, the Whites girded their loins and hit back.

A fine flowing move supplied Woodrow who took aim and sent a fabulous curling shot past Scott Loach into the top corner off the underside of the bar.

Sub Matt Derbyshire missed an easy chance to win it for the Reds with a header that flew wide.

But the real the drama was reserved for the finale when brave Fulham refused to lie down, and add impetus to Symons permanent claims on the job.

Fulham: 4-4-2: Marcus Bettinelli, Elsad Zverotic, Nikolay Bodurov, Dan Burn, Kostas Stafylidis, Emerson Hyndman (Scott Parker 73), George Williams, Lasse Vigen Christensen, Thomas Eisfeld (Moussa Dembele 64), Cauley Woodrow (Matt Smith 82), Ross McCormack; subs not used: Gabor Kiraly, Shaun Hutchinson, Patrick Roberts, Sean Kavanagh

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/match-reports/fulham-fight-back-three-times-7975949?

WhiteJC

Sky Bet Championship: Fulham held Rotherham to a thrilling 3-3 draw at the New York Stadium

Dan Burn is mobbed by his team-mates after scoring Fulham's injury-time equaliser

Fulham continued their resurgence under Kit Symons as they fought from behind three times to earn a point in an entertaining 3-3 draw at Rotherham in the Sky Bet Championship.

The Cottagers, who arrived at New York Stadium with three wins from their previous four matches, were up against it as they trailed on three occasions to Millers strikes from Alex Revell, Jonson Clarke-Harris and an Nikolay Bodurov own goal just four minutes from time.

But they responded in a positive manner every time, eradicating their first deficit within five minutes through Ross McCormack, their second within three thanks to Cauley Woodrow's strike and their third within four through Dan Burn to ensure it ended all-square.

The Fulham of the early season would have probably wilted under some strong home pressure, but Symons' men are a different breed and the caretaker boss must now be in pole position for the job on a permanent basis.

Rotherham will be left to rue their failure to win a match they led on three occasions but a points haul of eight from games with Blackburn, Norwich, Leeds and the Cottagers has to be considered a good return.

Indeed, in light of their recent form the Millers came into the game with plenty of confidence and took control of the early stages, though, despite plenty of balls into the box, could not fashion out any chances.

After much huffing and puffing they finally took the lead their play deserved in the 28th minute with a goal that was credited to Revell.

The hosts broke at pace and Lee Frecklington fed the ball to Paul Taylor, who cut inside on to his left foot and curled in a shot that was deemed to have clipped the legs of team-mate Revell, with the striker wheeling away claiming the goal.

But the lead was short-lived as Fulham were level within five minutes as McCormack expertly converted from the penalty spot after Frecklington had fouled George Williams.

Rotherham were not deterred by being pegged back and continued to look the more dangerous, with Revell hooking another effort just over and Frecklington being denied by a decent save by Marcus Bettinelli.

The interval came at the wrong time for the Millers as Fulham began the second period strongly and Lasse Christensen and Konstantinos Stafylidis both forced Adam Collin into saves.

But the hosts regained their lead in the 55th minute with a fine goal. A long throw was cleared back out to Ben Pringle and the midfielder whipped in a superb cross for Clarke-Harris to athletically flick the ball home.

It was his second goal in two appearances as he continues to pay back the club-record #400,000 that the Millers paid for him in August.

But again Steve Evans' men could not hold their lead for long and this time the visitors needed only three minutes to level.

The hosts were far too loose at the back and after the ball was played out to Woodrow on the left, the striker cut in and curled superbly into the top corner.

Kari Arnason missed two chances to restore the Millers lead and Matt Derbyshire squandered an opportunity from just two yards with the goal gaping, but it looked like it was going to be a home win when Bodurov turned into his own net from Pringle's shot.

But Fulham refused to lie down and levelled in the 90th minute when Burn headed in a corner to ensure a thrilling game ended even.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/live/match/313919/report?

WhiteJC

Manager Reaction

Caretaker Manager Kit Symons revealed his pride for Fulham's never-say-die attitude after seeing his youthful team claw back a point against Rotherham.

Ross McCormack converted a penalty, Cauley Woodrow hit a special strike and Dan Burn scored a last-gasp header to bring the Whites level on three occasions to secure a draw.

Although Symons admits there is still more to come from the Whites in terms of quality, he believes he could not ask any more from his resilient players in terms of fighting spirit.

"It was a typical Championship game. A bit rumble and tumble, it was end to end, both teams had good chances and it literally could have gone either way," Symons said.

"The character was excellent from our players and I was very pleased. It's a bit like the Norwich result on Saturday.

"We've got some good players who play really well and pass the ball nicely but we didn't particularly do that. The character, resilience and never-say-die attitude is what makes you a good team.

"We've got great ability within that changing room, from some of the senior boys through to some of the young players, but if you haven't got that character and resilience to go with it, you aren't going to get too far.

"We've got that and we've shown it in the last two games. The ability is never in doubt. I've told the players in there, we will get better. We will keep getting better, because we'll do the work, week in week out, day in day out.

"We'll continue to improve. But if they've got that character and resilience that they've shown, that gives us a great platform to go on from."

The Whites fell behind to Alex Revell's 28th minute goal, which prompted protests from Fulham's defenders about the lack of an offside call but, on reflection, Symons believes the officials called all of the big decisions correctly.

"We've looked at [The first goal] again and it was probably level really, as it left his foot, so it was a bit of a close call. At the time, it looked, as it progresses, like he might be in an offside position," he added.

"Looking back at it, it was probably a good call from the linesman so I've got no complaints or arguments.

"[The penalty was a penalty] Absolutely, I don't think there's too much doubt about that. "The one at the end when Moussa Dembele heads it past the keeper, I don't think there's too much contact there. We appealed at the time but, having seen it again, I think the officials made the right call."

Symons made five changes to the starting line-up which defeated Norwich City at Craven Cottage in total, the most he has made for any match of his seven-game reign as Caretaker Manager.

It resulted in Fulham fielding eight players under the age of 23, but Symons revealed he never had any doubt that his youthful line-up were ready to step up to the occasion.

"We had a little bit of illness, a couple of injuries after the Norwich result on Saturday. The players gave their all. These are young players, but young players I know very, very well," said Symons.

"I know their character. Rotherham away on a Tuesday night is a tough place to come, but I was more than happy with the make-up of the team tonight that we would come and get something."

"In the end, we're very pleased with the points but also we could have gone and won it second half, quite easily.

"These are young players and, for certain young players, it would have been too much for them tonight but I know these boys inside out and they've got guts, as well as a great deal of ability so I knew I could trust them and they did me proud tonight."

For the Whites, attention immediately turns to the match with Charlton Athletic at Craven Cottage in less than 72 hours time.

"Games come thick and fast so it's going to be a squad effort," said Symons. "The boys that stepped in put a shift in for the team and I know I've got options now that we can use.

"There are a few aches and pains from here as well, so we'll get back late tonight. We'll reassess tomorrow afternoon when the boys come in from training and we'll go from there. We'll be ready."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2014/october/21/manager-reaction

WhiteJC

Symons: I want Fulham job
Fulham's caretaker manager Kit Symons believes the manner of his side's point at Rotherham will further enhance his chances of getting the job on a permanent basis.

Symons has been at the helm since Felix Magath's sacking in September and has led the Cottagers on a resurgent run, taking 10 points from the last five Sky Bet Championship matches, including the 3-3 draw at New York Stadium.

This was no regular point for Symons' men, though, as they had to come from behind on three occasions, with Ross McCormack's penalty, Cauley Woodrow's curler and Dan Burn's header earning the draw.

They cancelled out their hosts' lead within five minutes on each occasion and Symons believes the result will stand him in good stead of getting the job on a permanent basis.

"I am just having to keep going. I want the job, that's not going to change, hopefully I will get it soon,'' he said.

"Until I am told otherwise I will keep my head down and keep working hard. I am loving every minute of it and long may it last.

"There have been good discussions, I am trying to get my views across to the owner and he has been asking pertinent questions.

"Hopefully I can get across the way I want the football club to be run and be organised.

"I think picking up points is always going to help. A point away at Rotherham is a good point. I am pleased, when I took over we had one point so to get a point here is good.

"I am sure it won't do me any harm.

"I don't think it will be judged solely on results. The right person needs to get the job, it needs to be a longer term appointment. If I continmually get good results it won't do me any harm.''

Symons made five changes to his side with a game at Charlton on Friday night in mind and he was proud of his young team.

"We showed good character, it was a typical Championship game, it was end to end, both teams had good chances and it could have gone either way,'' he added.

"The character was excellent and I am very pleased.

"We had a little bit of illness, injuries and fatigue after the Norwich result.

"These are young players but I know them very well. Rotherham on a Tuesday night is a tough place to come but I was more than happy with them.

"We are more than happy with the point, we will go away and be ready to play Friday night.

"The boys that stepped in have put in a shift. These are young players and it could have been too much for them tonight but I know them well, I knew I could trust them.''

Disappointed

Rotherham boss Steve Evans was disappointed to see his side throw away the lead on three occasions but called for some perspective.

Goals from Alex Revell and Jonson Clarke-Harris twice put the Millers ahead and when Nikolay Bodurov turned into his own net with four minutes remaining it looked like it would be a win.

But Fulham never gave up and the hosts were held

"If you score three goals at home you should win,'' Evans said. "We got ourselves in winning positions on three occasions and we have not been torn apart, we have encouraged them to score a goal.

"It's a learning curve for all of us, but we will hurt tomorrow but we will come back.

"We are disappointed, we respect Fulham, they have got an array of talent, you look at the players they bring off the bench, but we fear none of them.

"We are still developing, I thought we would win tonight, in the second half I couldn't ask any more other than we defend a set-piece better in the 90th minute.

"We are loving every minute of this, but we need to make sure we win games that we dominate for periods like we did tonight.

"We're disappointed but two years ago we were disappointed when we were drawing at home to clubs in League Two.''

http://www.football365.com/fulham/9528281/-?

WhiteJC

Rotherham 3 Fulham 3: Dan Burn scores last-minute equaliser to salvage point for the Cottagers in thrilling encounter

Burning up: Dan Burn celebrates his last-gasp equaliser for Fulham against Rotherham

Fulham continued their resurgence under Kit Symons as they fought from behind three times to earn a point in an entertaining 3-3 draw at Rotherham in the Championship.

It was his second goal in two appearances as he continues to pay back the club-record £400,000 that the Millers paid for him in August.

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/rotherham-3-fulham-3-dan-burn-scores-lastminute-equaliser-to-salvage-point-for-the-cottagers-in-thrilling-encounter-9809517.html

WhiteJC

Fulham boss coy over future after battling back three times at Rotherham

Fulham's caretaker manager Kit Symons believes the manner of his side's point at Rotherham will further enhance his chances of getting the job on a permanent basis.

Symons has been at the helm since Felix Magath's sacking in September and has led the Cottagers on a resurgent run, taking 10 points from the last five Sky Bet Championship matches, including the 3-3 draw at New York Stadium.

This was no regular point for Symons' men, though, as they had to come from behind on three occasions, with Ross McCormack's penalty, Cauley Woodrow's curler and Dan Burn's header earning the draw.

They cancelled out their hosts' lead within five minutes on each occasion and Symons believes the result will stand him in good stead of getting the job on a permanent basis.

"I am just having to keep going. I want the job, that's not going to change, hopefully I will get it soon," he said.

"Until I am told otherwise I will keep my head down and keep working hard. I am loving every minute of it and long may it last.

"There have been good discussions, I am trying to get my views across to the owner and he has been asking pertinent questions.

"Hopefully I can get across the way I want the football club to be run and be organised.

"I think picking up points is always going to help. A point away at Rotherham is a good point. I am pleased, when I took over we had one point so to get a point here is good.

"I am sure it won't do me any harm.

"I don't think it will be judged solely on results. The right person needs to get the job, it needs to be a longer term appointment. If I continmually get good results it won't do me any harm."

Symons made five changes to his side with a game at Charlton on Friday night in mind and he was proud of his young team.

"We showed good character, it was a typical Championship game, it was end to end, both teams had good chances and it could have gone either way," he added.

"The character was excellent and I am very pleased.

"We had a little bit of illness, injuries and fatigue after the Norwich result.

"These are young players but I know them very well. Rotherham on a Tuesday night is a tough place to come but I was more than happy with them.

"We are more than happy with the point, we will go away and be ready to play Friday night.

"The boys that stepped in have put in a shift. These are young players and it could have been too much for them tonight but I know them well, I knew I could trust them."

Rotherham boss Steve Evans was disappointed to see his side throw away the lead on three occasions but called for some perspective.

Goals from Alex Revell and Jonson Clarke-Harris twice put the Millers ahead and when Nikolay Bodurov turned into his own net with four minutes remaining it looked like it would be a win.

But Fulham never gave up and the hosts were held

"If you score three goals at home you should win," Evans said. "We got ourselves in winning positions on three occasions and we have not been torn apart, we have encouraged them to score a goal.

"It's a learning curve for all of us, but we will hurt tomorrow but we will come back.

"We are disappointed, we respect Fulham, they have got an array of talent, you look at the players they bring off the bench, but we fear none of them.

"We are still developing, I thought we would win tonight, in the second half I couldn't ask any more other than we defend a set-piece better in the 90th minute.

"We are loving every minute of this, but we need to make sure we win games that we dominate for periods like we did tonight.

"We're disappointed but two years ago we were disappointed when we were drawing at home to clubs in League Two."

http://www.london24.com/sport/football/clubs/fulham/fulham_boss_coy_over_future_after_battling_back_three_times_at_rotherham_1_3815419