more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Thursday Fulham Stuff (23/10/14)...

Started by WhiteJC, October 22, 2014, 06:57:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Symons upbeat after talks with Khan

Fulham caretaker boss Kit Symons says he has had "good discussions" with owner Shahid Khan about getting the manager's job on a permanent basis.

Symons has won three and drawn one of his six league games in charge, taking the Whites off the foot of the Championship table and to within goal difference of escaping the relegation zone.

"I want the job, that's not going to change, hopefully I will get it soon," Symons said.

"There have been good discussions. I am trying to get my views across to the owner and he has been asking pertinent questions.

"Hopefully I can get across the way I want the football club to be run and be organised."

Under Feliz Magath, Fulham picked up just one point from seven league games and the German was sacked after the 5-3 away defeat against Nottingham Forest last month.

But Symons has overseen a revival in the club's fortunes, securing a place in the fourth round of the Capital One Cup – as well as steering them away from the bottom of the table.

"I'm loving every minute of it and long may it last," the 43-year-old former Fulham defender added.

http://www.westlondonsport.com/fulham/symons-upbeat-after-talks-with-khan

WhiteJC

Match Report: Rotherham United 3 Fulham 3

Four years ago Rotherham United were playing out of town at Don Valley Stadium, stuck in League Two and waiting for the Steve Evans/Tony Stewart rescue act.

Fulham were in the Premier League, managed by the future boss of England, Roy Hodgson, and on their way to the Europa League Final against Atletico Madrid.

Last night, there was nothing to separate them.

Three times the Millers led. Three times they couldn't hold on to their lead for more than a matter of minutes. If anything, they edged the game and will be disappointed not to have held on for victory after being in front 3-2 in the 85th minute.

Big Dan Burn headed in a 90th-minute equaliser to end a game of ebb and flow, but let's not forget Rotherham are now unbeaten in their last four Championship matches.

The Millers lost nothing in comparison to the visitors early on in an opening spell where neither side created clear-cut opportunities.

Fulham were neat and nimble, but the home side's pressing was having an effect and they took the lead in the 28th minute.

Paul Taylor took a pass from Lee Frecklington, skipped inside and directed a shot into the bottom left corner past Marcus Bettinelli. Fulham appealed for offside, claiming Alex Revell had got the last touch, but the goal - Taylor's first for the club since joining them on loan from Ipswich - stood.

Little George Williams, showing up as brightly as his day-glo orange shorts, saw a shot well held by Collin but the same player enjoyed better fortune in the 33rd minute. He was too sharp for Frazer Richardson, latching on to a ball the Millers right-back looked favourite to reach, then drew a trip from Lee Frecklington inside the penalty area.

The dive was exaggerated but it looked like contact was made and Ross McCormack duly dispatched the spot-kick in emphatic £11 million style.

Rotherham came fighting back and Revell volleyed over after Jonson Clarke-Harris, rewarded for his derby winner against Leeds with a start, had beaten the towering Burn in the air. Frecklington almost atoned for the penalty, his header from a searching Pringle cross bringing a good save from Bettinelli and Paul Green couldn't quite get on the end of a another delivery from danger man Pringle from the right.

Clarke-Harris had made his mark in the second half against Leeds and he did it again here, in the 55th minute. Pringle, again, drilled in a cross from Kari Arnason's assist and the 20-year-old striker used his pace to get in front of his marker to steer the ball home.

However, for the second time in the match the Millers couldn't hold their lead for any length of time, and Cauley Woodrow bent in the equaliser with the help of the bar just three minutes later.

Both teams were threatening to score again, and Millers substitute Matt Derbyshire somehow put his header wide from almost on the goalline. But, with the New York crowd raising he volume levels, the home side responded.

An own goal looked to have won them game after a lightning break from Paul Taylor. He raced away and passed to Paul Green who had made a lung-bursting support run. His cross found Pringle whose effort was turned into his own net by Nikolay Bodurov.

After wins over Blackburn and Leeds in the last two home matches, another of those famous New York nights looked on the cards. Until Burn turned the dimmer switch.

Rotherham United: Collin, Richardson, Morgan, Arnason, Skarz, Taylor (Smallwood 88), Frecklington, Green, Pringle, Revell, Clarke-Harris (Derbyshire 78). Subs not used: Loach, Broadfoot, Bowery, Swift, Wordsworth.

Fulham: Bettinelli, Stafylidis, Bodurov, Eisfeld (Dembele 64), Zverotic, Woodrow (Smith 82), Christensen, Williams, Hyndmanv (Parker 73), Burn, McCormack. Subs not used: Kiraly, Hutchinson, Roberts, Kavanagh.

referee: Mark Brown (East Yorkshire)

attendance: 8,981 (632)

http://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/rotherham/match-report-rotherham-united-3-fulham-3-1-6909317

WhiteJC

Five things we learned from the Fulham game
Rotherham were held to a draw in a pulsating match with Fulham in which they led three times before being pegged back on each occasion.

Despite not being able to hold on to their leads, it was another performance of promise from Steve Evans' men as they continue to establish themselves in the Championship.

Here's five things we learned from the game.

You're most vulnerable when you concede

This one is right up there with the best footballing cliches, but the Millers found out the hard way that it is actually true and it was most unlike them. On three occasions they surged into the lead against the Cottagers yet every time they were pegged back within five minutes. The first one can be excused owing to the uncertainty of the penalty awarded to Fulham, but they were far too loose after Jonson Clarke-Harris had restored their lead in the second half and their failure to see out the game when going ahead for the third time in the 86th minute is something that we do not expect from this Rotherham side.

Expectations are rising

When the fixtures came out in June, Millers fans were probably ready to write October off as after September closed with a game against Blackburn, the computer handed them meetings with Norwich, Leeds and Fulham. That looked tough on paper but having taken an impressive seven points from the first three games the possibility of beating Fulham was a realistic one.

The way the Millers played reinforced their sense of belonging to the division and the fact that people went home disappointed about being held to a draw by a side who were in the Europa League final four years ago, had a former England captain on the bench and had an £11million striker leading the line shows just how with success comes rising expectations.

Ultimately, they led three times and having gone in front after 86 minutes the hosts should have shut up shop and won the game, but as boss Evans pointed out afterwards, two years ago they were losing at home to Wycombe.

Ben Pringle is beginning to find his range

Pringle has not had it all his own way this season as he took time to find his feet at a higher level as he admitted himself and even found himself out of the team at one point. But after that ghastly experiment by Evans of playing him on the right, he is back on the left and is beginning to have the same sort game-changing impacts on proceedings as last season. He turned in a fine showing when the TV cameras rolled up against Leeds last Friday, but arguably saved his best for the visit of Fulham.

He whipped in a number of dangerous crosses as 'the wand' made an appearance, with his delightful ball into Clarke-Harris making that goal while it was his shot that was turned in for an own goal at the end.

His work-rate has never been in question, and now as he begins to find his range, the Millers have a real threat in their ranks. Was it ever in doubt?

Kari Arnason needs to practise attacking headers

Arnason has quite rightly earned a lot of praise so far this season as he has been arguably the Millers' star player in the opening quarter. He has been assured, calm and solid at the back and has also been sensational at international level for Iceland. And up until the 90th-minute where he allowed Dan Burn a free header to score he was again imperious against the Cottagers. But there is no doubt he needs to get better in the opposition penalty area as he squandered two chances to put his side ahead (again). Both were free headers from set-plays, the first from another Pringle delivery was a particular inviting chance, but he failed to hit the target on either occasions.

In the typically self-depreciating manner that has earned him the nickname Albert Tatlock, the Icelandic defender admitted he was "not very good at finishing" and despite a goal against Blackburn last month, that is something that most Millers fans will agree with. If Evans' men could find 10 goals a season from Arnason and Morgan, who looks just as unlikely to score, that could potentially earn an extra six or eight points. And with Pringle in the side, they will have plenty of deliveries to attack.

Fulham are on the rise

If Fulham had come to New York six weeks ago, the Millers could have probably played half as well as they did on Tuesday and still come away with the win as the former Premier League club were a side in disarray. But under the caretaker leadership of Kit Symons they are resurgent and showed that they will be nowhere near the bottom of the league come May.

The way a young side fought back from goals down on three occasions, particularly the last coming so late in the game, deserves massive credit and in the second half they were a constant threat going forward. That character has been instilled by Symons, who should be handed the job permanently, and people who had the Cottagers down as relegation candidates this season can think again.

http://jonathanveal.blogspot.co.uk/2014/10/five-things-we-learned-from-fulham-game.html

WhiteJC

Only restricted view tickets left for Fulham on Friday

Only restricted view tickets remain available in the away end for Charlton's game at Fulham on Friday evening (7.45pm)
Iain Liddle reports

Only restricted view tickets remain available in the away end for Charlton's game at Fulham on Friday evening (7.45pm).

Just 206 seats of the club's allocation of 2,985 have yet to be snapped up for the first meeting of the two clubs since the FA Cup game at Craven Cottage in January 2012.

The restricted view seats are priced £28 adults, £23 over 65s, £23 U21s and £9 U16s.

Adult disabled places are priced £15, concession disabled £12.50 and U16 ambulant disabled £9, all inclusive of a free helper included.

Return coach travel to Fulham is available via the club's Valley Away service, priced £14. Click here for a list of pick-up points and departure times.

Read more at http://www.cafc.co.uk/news/article/20141022-fulham-restricted-view-2031943.aspx#r783auBT57dlKSTV.99

WhiteJC

'I'm loving this...give me the job' - Fulham caretaker manager Kit Symons

Keen to impress: Kit Symons

Kit Symons hopes the resilience Fulham showed last night will help convince Shahid Khan to give him the manager's job.

The point at Rotherham was one of the hardest Symons has earned during his month as caretaker boss with Fulham equalising three times, their final goal coming in the 90th minute through Dan Burn.

Fulham have picked up 10 points from a possible 18 since Symons replaced Felix Magath, who took only point from seven games before he was sacked.

At the end of last month Fulham owner Khan formed a five-man committee to decide on the new manager and Symons is keeping his fingers crossed they will chose him.

"I am just having to keep going," said Symons. "I want the job, that's not going to change, hopefully I will get it soon. Until I am told otherwise I will keep my head down and keep working hard. I am loving every minute of it and long may it last.

"There have been good discussions, I am trying to get my views across to the owner and he has been asking pertinent questions. Hopefully, I can get across the way I want the football club to be run and be organised.

"I think picking up points is always going to help. A point away at Rotherham is a good point. I am pleased, when I took over we had one point so to get a point here is good.

"I am sure it won't do me any harm. I don't think it will be judged solely on results. The right person needs to get the job, it needs to be a longer term appointment. If I continually get good results it won't do me any harm."

Symons made five changes to his side with the game at Charlton on Friday night in mind and he was proud of his young team.

"We showed good character, it was a typical Championship game, it was end to end, both teams had good chances and it could have gone either way," he said. "The character was excellent and I am very pleased.

"We had a little bit of illness, injuries and fatigue after the Norwich result. These are young players but I know them very well. We are more than happy with the point, we will go away and be ready to play Friday. The boys that stepped in have put in a shift. These are young players and it could have been too much for them but I know them well, I knew I could trust them."

All of Fulham's equalisers came within five minutes of them falling behind.  Ross McCormack got the first from the penalty spot in the 33rd minute after Lee Frecklington had fouled George Williams and their second came just before the hour when Cauley Woodrow curled a superb shot into the top corner.

Fulham fell behind when the unlucky Nikolay Bodurov turned Ben Pringle's shot into his own net but Burn rescued a point by heading home.

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/im-loving-thisgive-me-the-job--fulham-caretaker-manager-kit-symons-9810007.html

WhiteJC

Burn Praises Character

Dan Burn was full of praise for his Fulham team as their spirited performance saw them earn a 3-3 draw at Rotherham United on Tuesday night.

The Whites found themselves trailing three times during the game but fought back every time, taking no longer than five minutes to cancel out each goal scored by the home side.

Caretaker Manager Kit Symons made five changes to the team that gave everything in the weekend's win over Norwich City, fielding just three players over the age of 22, but his young charges put in a mature display to secure a point.

"It was a bit of a rollercoaster," Burn told fulhamfc.com. "I thought we showed very good character to come back three times.

"It's not a nice place to come – at every opportunity they were looking to get the ball in the box which you don't see a lot in this league so I think it was a bit of a culture shock for some of the boys. We had a very young team out and I think they stood up well and they should be proud of themselves."

The most deflating goal conceded by Fulham at New York Stadium was Rotherham's third, when an off-target shot deflected off Nikolay Bodurov and into the net.

With just minutes left to play it was a gutting moment for the visitors but, once again, they rose to the challenge and were rewarded when stand-in skipper Burn headed home from Ross McCormack's corner in the final 60 seconds of normal time.

"I just had to get on the end of the corner," he said. "There's not a feeling like scoring, I absolutely love it! Hopefully I can get a few more.

"It was difficult to respond because obviously you've worked so hard and the lads have put so much effort in, and when that goal goes in your head does go down but it happened two times before so I think we showed great character.

"I've not been involved in a match like that before, it was just a surreal game. When we went to 2-2 I was sure that we'd go on and win it, and then for them to score the way they did was horrible – it took about seven deflections before it went in!

"We just had the desire to at least come away with something. We took a point, yes we wanted it to be three, but it's not a defeat so it means we can build on that going into the Charlton Athletic game on Friday."

That draw in South Yorkshire was Fulham's second match of seven over the course of just 22 days – hence why several faces were rested – and Burn was pleased with the impact of the new boys who came in.

"We've got a big squad so that always helps," the 22-year-old admitted. "We can rotate a little bit and the lads know all their jobs when they come in, as they should.

"Thomas [Eisfeld] came in and did very well, Cauley [Woodrow] came in and got the goal that I'd been wanting him to get for ages so I was buzzing for him.

"We've got to get back now, get recovered. We'll get ourselves sorted then build on this in the Charlton game."

The result means Fulham have now suffered defeat just once in six outings – momentum which Burn believes is crucial in the midst of this fixture-laden period.

"You can't keep getting a win, a defeat, a win, a defeat – you've got to keep the momentum going," he explained. "So I think it's really important that we didn't get a defeat on Tuesday. Obviously we've got a lot of games coming up so hopefully we can carry on."

A first league meeting against Charlton since 2006 is next up under the Cottage floodlights and Burn is hoping that the Fulham faithful can roar their side onto another positive result, as the 632-strong travelling fans did admirably on Tuesday.

He said: "It's going to be on Sky so it should be a good atmosphere and we're going to need the fans behind us on Friday to keep the lads going.

"Obviously it's a London derby so hopefully there'll be plenty there – the more the merrier!"

Tickets for Friday night's game against Charlton are available for supporters to purchase on General Sale, priced from £30 adults and £15 juniors.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2014/october/22/burn-praises-character?

WhiteJC

1 goal, 1 assist, 6 chances created - Ross McCormack delivers classy all-round performance v Rotherham

The former Leeds striker did much more than just score during Fulham's 3-3 draw with Rotherham.

Since leaving Leeds United for Fulham in an £11 million move this summer, Ross McCormack cannot exactly have been said to have made a seamless transition.

At the same time, however, the Scot has been nowhere near an expensive flop. Certainly not compared to the likes of Mario Balotelli's start at Liverpool, or various other high-profile examples.

No, McCormack has had his moments since moving to London, often contributing heavily away from the goal-scoring department - a rare quality for a lot of modern strikers.

In the 3-3 draw against Rotherham United last night, that all-round effort showed from the 28-year-old - and he had a fine game indeed as he helped his side fight back from a goal down on three separate occasions.

Team   Goals   Chances Created   Assists   Accurate Crosses   Successful Final-Third Passes   Touches   Apps   Mins
David Cotterill   Birmingham   0   8   0   3   6   54   1   80
Ross McCormack   Fulham   1   6   1   3   11   57   1   90
James Henry   Wolves   0   5   0   4   8   57   1   90
As Opta stats show, the former Leeds man scored once (albeit from the penalty spot) and registered one assist. McCormack also took 57 touches of the ball and made 11 successful final-third passes. That total is certainly impressive for a striker, as it is usually attacking midfielders that reach double-digits in that department.

His most impressive areas, though, were his crossing - he landed three accurate balls into the box - and, above all, McCormack's chance creation.

Last night, the Fulham forward created no less than six chances. That was the second-highest total of any Championship player on the night - while the man that made more, David Cotterill, was not fortunate enough to assist a goal.

This, then, was an all-round performance for the ex-Leeds striker. He chipped in with a spot-kick when it came to goalscoring but also did so much more. It's safe to say the Cottagers would not have been able to earn a point against the Millers without him.

http://hereisthecity.com/en-gb/2014/10/22/1-goal-1-assist-6-chances-created-ross-mccormack-delivers-classy/?

WhiteJC

Kit Symons confirms head coach discussions with Fulham owner

The caretaker boss has picked up 10 of a possible 18 points since his appointment, with his latest game a tough-fought 3-3 draw at Rotherham on Tuesday night - in which the Cottagers had to equalise three times.

Dan Burn's 90th minute goal gave Symons another reason to stake his claim as to why he should be appointed on a full-time basis, having taken over from Felix Magath - who took just a single point from his seven games in charge this season.

Shahid Khan's five-man committee to decide on the best manager to lead the club look no closer to finding a suitable candidate, and, with each passing day, Symons' success on the pitch looks to be making him the crowd and squad favourite for the role.

And, as much as he wants the job, Symons told the Standard that he just has to continue as he is, working hard on the job that he loves.

He said: "I am just having to keep going.

"I want the job, that's not going to change, hopefully I will get it soon. Until I am told otherwise I will keep my head down and keep working hard. I am loving every minute of it and long may it last."

Symons confirmed that discussions had been held with Khan and his committee, and the Welshman believes that he has been making a strong case for his appointment.

"There have been good discussions," he added.

"I am trying to get my views across to the owner and he has been asking pertinent questions. Hopefully, I can get across the way I want the football club to be run and be organised."

Considering the amount of games that he has taken charge of, Symons is head coach in all-but job title, and he is keen to see that change in the coming weeks - with Fulham so close to Championship safety.

http://hereisthecity.com/en-gb/2014/10/22/kit-symons-confirms-head-coach-discussions-with-fulham-owner/?

WhiteJC

Kit Symons: I want the Fulham job

Caretaker Fulham boss Kit Symons is hopeful of being appointed permanent manager at the club.

The former Fulham defender was placed in temporary charge following the departure of Felix Magath last month. Magath was fired after a torrid start to the season left the Cottagers struggling down in the Championship relegation zone and the club are still waiting to appoint a permanent coach.

The club's fortunes have picked up since the managerial change and Symons hopes that his positive results will influence the Fulham bosses' decision when picking the next man to take charge.

"I am just having to keep going," said Symons. "I want the job, that's not going to change, hopefully I will get it soon. Until I am told otherwise I will keep my head down and keep working hard. I am loving every minute of it and long may it last.

"There have been good discussions, I am trying to get my views across to the owner and he has been asking pertinent questions. Hopefully, I can get across the way I want the football club to be run and be organised.

Fulham picked up another vital point towards their relegation scrap last night away at 14th placed Rotherham thanks to Dan Burn's 90th minute equaliser. And although Symons says he won't just be judged on results, he was pleased with the draw.

"I think picking up points is always going to help. A point away at Rotherham is a good point. I am pleased, when I took over we had one point so to get a point here is good.

"I am sure it won't do me any harm. I don't think it will be judged solely on results. The right person needs to get the job, it needs to be a longer term appointment. If I continually get good results it won't do me any harm."

Fulham's next game sees them take on high-flying Charlton who rose to seventh in the table after a 2-1 win over Neil Lennon's Bolton side.

Read more at http://www.squawka.com/news/kit-symons-i-want-the-fulham-job/202176#EMeXrlzt28hbPuxp.99

WhiteJC

And Still We Wait!

The clamour for Kit Symons to be appointed as the new permanent manager of Fulham Football Club continues to gather momentum.

Although we`re still in the bottom three, but only just, since Symons took over we`ve picked up ten points, as opposed to the one we had when Felix Magath was sacked.

After the dramatic late draw at Rotherham, Symons was, once again asked for his views on the job with Kit replying,

'I want the job, that's not going to change, hopefully I will get it soon.

'Until I am told otherwise, I will keep my head down and keep working hard. I am loving every minute of it and long may it last."

'There have been good discussions, I am trying to get my views across to the owner and he has been asking pertinent questions."

'Hopefully I can get across the way I want the football club to be run and be organized.'

Come on, just give the job to kit!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=374384#ixzz3Gw57VP7z

WhiteJC

Colombia to face USA at Craven Cottage

Colombia, sparked by Manchester United forward Radamel Falcao and Real Madrid midfielder James Rodriguez, will face USA in a friendly on 14 November at Craven Cottage in London. The match at Fulham's home ground announced on Wednesday by the United States Soccer Federation will come four days before the Americans complete their 2014 campaign against Republic of Ireland at Dublin.

Colombia, third in the latest FIFA/Coca-Cola World Ranking, are expected to use top talent in the contest, after coming off a last-eight run at this year's FIFA World Cup™ in Brazil while the Stars and Stripes bowed out at the Round of 16.

"Colombia showed in the World Cup that they are one of the top teams in the world," USA coach Jurgen Klinsmann said. "They have some tremendous attacking talent... it's a squad with a lot of experience playing at the highest level and this will be another great benchmark for us."

Fulham have hosted several top USA players, including standout Clint Dempsey for six seasons as well as Cottager stints for Brian McBride, Kasey Keller, Carlos Bocanegra and Eddie Johnson.

"We are thrilled to be playing at Craven Cottage, which holds so many good memories for US players," said Klinsmann. "It will be a unique experience." The latest American in the Fulham lineup is Emerson Hyndman, whose USA debut came in a 1-0 win over the Czech Republic last month in Prague.

http://www.fifa.com/world-match-centre/news/newsid/246/086/4/index.html?