more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Friday Fulham Stuff (24/10/14)...

Started by WhiteJC, October 23, 2014, 07:16:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Preview: Fulham Vs Charlton Athletic

From Grant Basey's broken leg at Bristol Rovers to broken Charlton hearts at Sheffield United, TV appearances over the past five seasons have rarely ended positively for the Addicks.

In fact, in Charlton's 19 (yes, that many!) TV appearances since the start of the 2009/10 season, eleven defeats have been suffered and only six wins have been picked up, with two of those coming against lower league opposition and another the redundant Play-Off Semi-Final second leg victory over Swindon Town in 2010.

It's therefore fair to say that the 'TV curse' is a little more than just a myth. For whatever reason, the Addicks struggle to perform in front of the cameras.

And with a depleted squad travelling to an in form Fulham on Friday night, Bob Peeters' side will do well to avoid yet another defeat live on Sky.

Alas, Charlton managed to show a great deal of fight, although not quality, in their somewhat fortune victory over Bolton on Tuesday night.

A similar performance would surely result in a loss, but showing the same amount of determination would give the Addicks some chance of coming away from Craven Cottage with what be a very credible point or three.

LAST MEETING – FULHAM 4-0 CHARLTON ATHLETIC 

It's not often that you'll have fond memories of a 4-0 cup defeat, but Charlton supporters who were at Craven Cottage in January 2012 still talk passionately about the day 7,000 Addicks stood and sung for 90 minutes.

In fact, the scoreline was a little harsh on the Addicks. The then League One side largely held their own against Premier League opposition, but Clint Dempsey, scorer of three of the four goals, was the quite substantial difference between the two sides.

Nonetheless, regular renditions of 'the FA Cup, who gives a love, we're Charlton Athletic and we're going up' and Dempsey's hat-trick both play second fiddle to the performance given by Bradley Pritchard. Obviously.

FORM

Fulham: DWLWWW

Seemingly only heading in one direction under Penfold's chief impersonator, caretaker boss Kit Symons has transformed the fortunes of the West London club.

Something of a Craven Cottage legend, there's genuine joy on the face of Symons after every positive result, and that sort of mood appears to have spread around his squad after tales of unrest under Felix Magath's bizarre regime. There's nothing cheesy about Symons' smile. (Sorry)

Not only has confidence and spirit increased, with a determined resulting in a point being stolen at the death at Rotherham on Tuesday, but previously shunned players have returned to the side; a vast improvement on the inexperienced youngsters Magath was recklessly throwing into the starting XI each week.

Wins over Birmingham, Bolton and, most impressively, Norwich have followed, and with Symons still extraordinarily motivated in his quest to secure the job on a full-time basis, this really isn't the time to be playing Fulham.

Charlton: WLDWDD

Despite struggling to match their impressive early season displays, Peeters' side continues to churn out points, if not in the most pleasing of fashions.

Many predicted Saturday's defeat to Bournemouth would be the start of a poor run for the Addicks, but a dogged display against Bolton on Tuesday night saw the Reds bounce back to winning ways straight away.

And while there remains numerous issues to resolve, not least the lack of pressing in midfield, an inability to hold onto leads without causing several heart attacks and the near absence of the exciting forward play seen in August, Charlton's ability to find ways to avoid defeat despite playing poorly is commendable.

THE OPPOSITION

Fulham will be able to call on Huge Rodallega and Tim Hoogland, who have returned to full training after missing Tuesday's dramatic 3-3 draw with Rotherham.

Rodallega, who has impressed under Symons with three goals and two assists, is likely to start up top with regular Charlton tormentor Ross McCormack, while Hoogland, scorer of four goals from full-back this season, could come in for Elsad Zverotic.

Also potentially returning to the Cottagers' starting XI are Costa Rican international Bryan Ruiz and former Addick Scott Parker, who were both rested in midweek.

Parker, who upset Addicks with the manner of his £10m move to Chelsea in 2004, has arguably been the most successful of a long line of Charlton academy graduates, peaking with captaining his country against the Dutch in 2012.

Some may still hold bitter resentment against the 34-year-old, but he's due a decent reception from the visiting Charlton fans.

THE ADDICKS

An already depleted squad has been dealt a further blow after Yoni Buyens picked up his fifth yellow card of the season against Bolton on Tuesday.

The booking means Buyens, who impressed in midweek after a number of relatively poor performances, is suspended for the trip to Craven Cottage, leaving the Addicks desperately short of numbers.

But with Igor Vetokele, Johann Berg Gudmundsson, Joe Gomez and Simon Church all absent, and Michael Morrison having to act as babysitter on the bench, there is some good news for Peeters.

Chris Solly, who was unavailable for selection in midweek, will return to Charlton's starting XI, meaning Lawrie Wilson is free to push forward into midfield, allowing Jordan Cousins to replace Buyens in the centre.

KEY BATTLE: FULHAM'S WIDE MEN VS CHARLTON'S FULL-BACKS

Normally the most consistent performers in the side, Charlton's full-backs have struggled in recent weeks when up against wingers with considerable pace and skill.

Koby Arhur, Marc Pugh and Liam Feeney have all made life extremely difficult for Chris Solly, Rhoys Wiggins and Lawrie Wilson, with inconsistent final deliveries and finishing sparing the Addicks further embarrassment.

In fact, Charlton's defeat to Bournemouth was largely the result of the threat offered by Pugh and Ritchie, while Bolton's inability to capitalise on the excellent positions they got into out wide on Tuesday night saw them fail to get a point.

And while Fulham have often set-up with a narrower formation under Symons, with Bryan Ruiz operating ahead of three central midfielders and two forwards, that isn't to say the Cottagers don't have players capable of coming out wide and causing a threat down the channels.

The likes of Ruiz and Rodallega won't be as forgiving as previous opponents if Charlton's full-backs offer them the opportunity to cross.

PREDICITION

A TV game, away at an in form side with the squad absent of several key men. It's fair to say the stars haven't aligned in Charlton's favour.

Getting out of this one alive would be an achievement.

Fulham 2-1 Charlton Athletic

http://chrispowellsflatcap.com/2014/10/23/preview-fulham-vs-charlton-athletic/?

WhiteJC

Team news for Friday night's Sky Bet Championship clash between Fulham and Charlton.

Kit Symons could move a step closer to landing the permanent Fulham manager's job with victory over Charlton on Friday.

Symons has guided the Cottagers to four wins from seven matches since taking over on a caretaker basis from the sacked Felix Magath last month.

Chairman Shahid Khan has a five-man committee to advise him over the club's next managerial appointment, with names such as Chris Hughton and Steve Clarke thought to be on the shortlist along with Symons.

But while Danny Murphy, Brian McBride and Co mull over the options, Symons has quietly gone about transforming a side who had collected just one point from their previous seven Sky Bet Championship games under Magath.

One player benefiting from the former Fulham defender's spell in charge is Dan Burn, whose late equaliser secured a dramatic 3-3 draw at Rotherham on Tuesday.

The 22-year-old told the club website: "We just had the desire to at least come away with something. We took a point - yes, we wanted it to be three, but it wasn't a defeat so it means we can build on that going into the Charlton game on Friday.

"You can't keep getting a win, a defeat, a win, a defeat - you've got to keep the momentum going so it's really important we didn't get a defeat on Tuesday. We've got a lot of games coming up, so hopefully we can carry on."

Symons will hand a late fitness check to defender Tim Hoogland, who missed out in midweek through illness, while captain Scott Parker will return to the starting line-up to face his old club.

A point would lift Fulham out of the relegation zone for the first time this season, while Charlton are looking for a win which would move them to within a point of leaders Derby.

But Addicks boss Bob Peeters is well aware of the stark contrast between Magath's confidence-drained team and the in-form side he will face at Craven Cottage.

"I saw them in one of the last games under Felix Magath, (a 1-0 defeat) at home to Wolves, and at that time they were struggling, there was no mentality, nothing in the team," he said.

"Then I saw them against Bolton at home and it was another team completely - they won 4-0. So it's going to be a very tough night for us, especially because it's a proper derby."

The visitors will be without suspended midfielder Yoni Buyens, while winger Johann Berg Gudmundsson and six-goal top scorer Igor Vetokele are injury doubts.

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/live/match-preview/313927/-?

WhiteJC

Kit Symons close to Fulham job as chairman Shahid Khan flies in to make appointment at Craven Cottage
Fulham chairman Shahid Khan will arrive from America next week appoint new manager, with current caretaker boss Kit Symons the leading contender

Strong audition: Kit Symons has impressed as Fulham's caretaker manager and is keen to be given the job permanently
Photo: ACTION IMAGES

Fulham chairman Shahid Khan is ready to fly in from America next week to finally appoint a new manager, with Kit Symons the leading contender to take charge.

Symons will be given another chance to secure the position in Friday night's home game against Charlton as he attempts to move the club out of the Championship relegation zone.

The 43-year-old has won four of his seven matches since replacing Felix Magath last month and Fulham are poised to make an appointment after the Capital One Cup tie against Derby on Tuesday night.

Khan is expected to arrive in England next week as Fulham's five-man panel, including Danny Murphy, Niall Quinn and Brian McBride, reach the conclusion of their extensive search for Magath's permanent successor. Steve Clarke and Chris Hughton are also in contention but caretaker manager Symons is believed to be closing in on the job.

A former player and coach at Craven Cottage, Symons will have his future finally sorted next week when Khan is presented with the results of the panel's search.

"I just have to keep going. I want the job, that's not going to change, hopefully I will get it soon," he said. "Until I am told otherwise, I will keep my head down and keep working hard. I am loving every minute of it and long may it last.

"It feels like I've been doing this job for ages and we've been getting great results and we're still third from bottom. It's unbelievable really.

"Ultimately we are where we are so we need to get out of there sharpish. We will and when we do, it will be a fantastic feeling for everyone connected with the club. There's a strong belief now. Getting out of the bottom three will be massive and hopefully it will come on Friday night."

Fulham have been determined to bide their time before making an appointment, following difficult experiences with Magath and his predecessor Rene Meulensteen.

Magath's unpopular reign was ended after the club secured only one point from their opening seven games, leaving bottom of the Championship.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/fulham/11183094/Kit-Symons-close-to-Fulham-job-as-chairman-Shahid-Khan-flies-in-to-make-appointment-at-Craven-Cottage.html

WhiteJC

Only ONE Obvious Man To Manage Fulham

Fulham have now been searching for a manager since they sacked Felix Magath on September 18th. You can't blame them for taking their time over this appointment. Magath replaced Rene Mulensteen last season, who replaced Martin Jol, and all three managers couldn't save Fulham from relegation.

The Cottagers have narrowed their search down, however, to a list of three men. Steve Clarke, Chris Hughton and current caretaker manager Kit Symons.  They are all relatively inexperienced managers. Steve Clarke's first managerial job ended in him getting the sack in his second season as manager at West Brom. And it's a similar story for Hughton, who got the sack at Norwich in his second season and only his third as manager.

Caretaker manager Kit Symons is youth team coach at Fulham and, according to oddschecker.com, he is many of the bookies favourite to be named the next Fulham manager. Since being in temporary charge, he has won 4 games out of 6 in the league, losing just one.

When Magath was sacked, many would have been surprised that Symons would now be the front runner. But the Welshman has made it hard for Fulham owner Shahid Khan to ignore him.

It seems that Fulham can't get this appointment wrong. You would expect both Clarke and Hughton to do good jobs. But for me you have got to give the job to Kit Symons. Fulham were bottom of the league and winless when he took over. While they are still in the relegation zone, Symons could not have done much more. The man is well known and loved by the fans and he knows the club.

We are still early into the season and if Symons can keep Fulham playing like they have been so far under him, Fulham can still easily get into the Top 6 of the Championship and look to return to where they feel they belong.

http://threeandin.com/only-one-obvious-man-to-manage-fulhamnocache1/?

WhiteJC

Ooh Scotty Parker: Why I won't be booing my former hero at Fulham

When Charlton fans travel to Craven Cottage tonight, special attention will likely be given to one man in particular.

Despite the fact it's been over a decade since the two parted ways, our match against Fulham will mark just the third reacquaintance between Charlton and Scott Parker.

The last meeting came back in March 2006, Parker's only appearance at the Valley in an opposition shirt. It was with some relish that the home crowd created a cacophony of boos and jeers whenever Newcastle's captain was on the ball that day.

Similar treatment is likely to be handed out from some Charlton fans next week, but I won't be one of them.

Just like you, I've heard that Parker's behaviour towards the club that gave him his chance that fateful January transfer window resembled a spoilt child. I remember a furious Alan Curbishley saying it left a "bad taste in the mouth". And believe me, I don't need reminding of how our strong league position that season slowly slipped away following the move.

In 2006 the wounds were still relatively raw. But enough time has passed and so much worse has been inflicted upon our club since. Surely it's time to let the bitterness rest? If Curbishley can forgive Parker, why can't we? He was not the first youngster to be seduced by the bright lights, and he certainly wasn't the last.

I've always found it hard to hold a grudge against Parker. If he was a prima donna, a showboater, someone who had slagged off the club, it might be different. But there's just too much to admire about the way he conducts himself both on and off the pitch. By all accounts, the lad from Lambeth is one of the game's good guys.

I can't have been the only Charlton fan who was secretly pleased when the midfielder was named 2011 player of the year by the Football Writers' Association, when he was one of the best performers in a high-flying Spurs side or when he was named England captain.

It was a belated vindication of everything Charlton fans knew Parker was capable of much earlier in his career. Despite the accolades and achievements he's earned since, I'm still not convinced his later days as a stoic defensive midfielder were superior to the swashbuckling performances of his youth.

Watching Parker at the Valley was always a thrilling, blockbuster experience. With his fearless commitment, unstoppable energy and street smarts beating from the heart of our side, you genuinely felt like we could take on anyone.

We shouldn't dwell on his departure and forget everything that came before it. Parker was the most exciting product for a generation. Even after Jonjo Shelvey and Diego Poyet, I'd argue we're yet to see another like him.

Think not of him not holding up a Chelsea shirt, but of him destroying Chelsea's midfield in one of our Charlton's most cherished victories.

Yes, we went through a messy divorce. But boy, it was beautiful while it lasted.

http://valleytalkblog.com/2014/10/23/ooh-scotty-parker-why-i-wont-be-booing-my-former-hero-at-fulham/?

WhiteJC

COTTAGE INDUSTRY

The Addicks make their first appearance of the season in front of the Sky cameras on Friday evening

Fulham got off to a disastrous start to the season, something that cost Felix Magath his job.

Magath relied heavily on Fulham's youngsters but since Kit Symons took over, he has reintroduced some of the club's more experienced players, and the Cottagers' fortunes have improved.

They have won their last three home games and are hot favourites to make it four against the Addicks.

Bob Peeters will once again be without Johann Gudmundsson and Igor Vetokele and Yoni Buyens is suspended.

Bob Peeters had this to say at his Thursday press conference:

"Igor is not going to be involved, he is an important player for us but at this moment he is getting better with his Achilles. We won't risk him.

"I think George Tucudean and Franck Moussa did a good job on Tuesday. Hopefully Tucudean with the goal he scored and the assist, has had his confidence lifted.

"We still have to pick the team for tomorrow but they proved on Tuesday that they can be of use for our team.

"Yoni Buyens picked up his fifth booking, so again, we need to bring another player into that position.

"We will see who that is going to be on Friday. Everybody came well out of the training on Thursday so we will see which player we will pick," said Peeters, who continued, "The boys went out for a little session on Thursday as it was only two days after the game against Bolton.

"Now we already have a trip to Fulham. If I see that Kit Symons rested four or five players on Tuesday then I think he means business.

"We couldn't afford to rest any more players because we already had an Under-21 squad on the bench except for Michael Morrison.

"If they give me everything within their ability then I cannot be unhappy whatever the result."

Stephen Henderson has been in outstanding form recently and along with centre-backs, Tal Ben Haim and Andre Bikey, has been the bedrock of Charlton's solid rear guard.

Chris Solly will return at right-back and Rhoys Wiggins will be on the left.

Solly's return will allow Lawrie Wilson to move forward to the right side of midfield. Jordan Cousins is likely to move inside to partner Johnnie Jackson, with Frederic Bulot switching to the left.

George Tucudean and Franck Moussa will probably continue up front.

The referee will be Keith Stroud of Hampshire.

The game will be a tough test for Peeters' depleted team but the head coach will be hopeful of getting something from the game.

http://www.cafcpicks.com/cgi-bin/drkish/display.pl?month=201410&date=20141023&time=2120

WhiteJC

Charlton suffer midfield suspension for Fulham but boosted by defender return

BOB Peeters says Charlton will continue to monitor the injuries to key players Igor Vetokele and Johann Berg Gudmundsson ahead of Friday's trip to Fulham.

Both missed Tuesday's 2-1 win over Bolton Wanderers, and Peeters is set to be without holding midfielder Yoni Buyens after he picked up fifth yellow card of the season against Neil Lennon's side.

However, Peeters revealed right-back Chris Solly looks set to return as he continues to manage his knee, which is unable to play twice in week or twice every 72 hours.

"Yoni Buyens is suspended so we miss an experienced player," said the boss.

"We will see who is fit to play on Friday but we want to give the youth a chance

"At this moment we have to do it because we have some players unavailable, so we will see for Friday.

"Igor is struggling with his Achilles. He came back from Angola on international duty with pain in both Achilles tendons.

"The pitches over there are rock hard, and at Bournemouth on Saturday he said he couldn't play anymore.

"Now we need to assess him. He's an important player and we hope it's not too serious.

"Gudmundsson came back with a groin injury from international duty, it got to his ankle and now he has a thigh problem.

"We need to assess these players day-by-day. We won't take any risks because there around 33 games left and I don't want to play players who are not completely fit.

"Chris Solly is going to come back for Friday."

Read more: http://www.sevenoakschronicle.co.uk/Charlton-suffer-midfield-suspension-Fulham/story-23346099-detail/story.html?#ixzz3H1xcnlxQ
Follow us: @7OaksChronicle on Twitter | sevenoakschronicle on Facebook
Read more at http://www.sevenoakschronicle.co.uk/Charlton-suffer-midfield-suspension-Fulham/story-23346099-detail/story.html?#WL2foC32iI7XsziF.99

WhiteJC

Bookies make Fulham favourites.
The bookies have made Fulham firm favourites for tonight's clash at Craven Cottage. Fulham are 4/5, a draw is 5/2 and Charlton are 7/2.

Igor Vetokele will not be available and Gudmundsson is also unlikely to play. Buyens is suspended. However, Chris Solly will be back. Scott Parker is available for Fulham after being rested for the game against Rotherham earlier in the week. Against Norwich at the weekend 'He was the first target for every Fulham pass, but frequently won possession and launched attacks.'

Our track record against Fulham is not good. They won the last meeting 4-0 at Craven Cottage in the FA Cup in January 2012. The last league meeting ended as a 2-2 draw at The Valley in the Premier League in December 2006. If I remember rightly, this was when the lino made an offside decision against us that contributed to our relegation.

Fulham are unbeaten in the last six meetings in all competitions, winning three. Charlton's last win was 2-1 at The Valley in the Premier League in December 2004. Fulham are unbeaten in the last 10 meetings at home in all competitions, winning seven. Charlton's last win there was 3-0 in the old Division Two in April 1986.

Although they are 22nd in the table, Fulham are 7th in the form table above Charlton in 14th. Fulham have lost only one of their last six games in all competitions, winning four and drawing one. Their only defeat since 20 September was 2-0 at Middlesbrough in the Championship on 4 October.

Fulham have won their last three home games in all competitions, against Doncaster, Bolton and Norwich. Their one goal win against Norwich 'did little justice to their superiority' according to The Football League Paper.

Against Norwich, Fulham were dominant in central midfield. Bob Peeters has refused to say whether he will use Jordan Cousins in midfield. Many Addicks think that he is better there than on the wings.

If we can get something out of this encounter, we will be doing well.

http://addickschampionshipdiary.blogspot.co.uk/2014/10/bookies-make-fulham-favourites.html

WhiteJC

Parker Faces First Love

Tonight, down at the Cottage, Scott Parker will come face-to-face with a club he still has a lot of affection for, Charlton Athletic.

Parker`s professional career began with the South London side and, naturally, he has fond memories of his time there.

Ahead of the tasty London derby tonight, Scott has remarked to the media,

"They`ve had a bad time over the last few years but things are looking up and I`m very pleased for them."

"But it`s a big game for us. They are going really well and it will be another tough one. Hopefully we can beat them."

"Charlton were my first club, I was there from eight years of age."

"It was a fantastic club for me and I loved every minute of it. It gave me a stepping stone to go on and do what I`ve done in my career."

"When you get a chance to perform and make a name for yourself, the team that gives you that are the one you look back on with gratitude."

"And I love everything about the club."

Parker, in our view, is a rare breed. It`s almost as if he`s been cast adrift in the wrong era, a modern professional who values the ethics the game has, a player, (who unlike so many others), didn`t jump ship this summer but decided to knuckle down and do his utmost to try and get Fulham out of the Championship.

Here at Vital Fulham we hope Scott enjoys tonight, we hope he soaks up the atmosphere, but, most importantly, we hope he can join that rare breed of player who scores against a former club. A Scott Parker goal! That would be a treat wouldn`t it?

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=374534#ixzz3H4UOyUuF

WhiteJC

Fulham v Charlton: Three Addicks to worry the Whites

We identify a visiting trio that cause problems for Kit Symons' side

Threat: George Tucudean (right)
A Romanian striker will be aiming to sink his teeth into Fulham when Charlton arrive at Craven Cottage on Friday night.

George Tucudean is still adapting to life in the Championship since joining on a three-year deal from Standard Liege in the summer.

But he is starting to find his feet and scored in the 2-1 victory over Bolton at The Valley on Tuesday night.

And according to Richard Cawley from the South London Press he will certainly be one for Kit Symons' side to keep under wraps.

He said: "With Igor Vetokele a major doubt, the Romanian striker will provide the main goal threat.

"He's still struggling with the physicality of the Championship and needs space to play because he's not a battering ram. He took his goal well on Tuesday."

Club captain Johnnie Jackson has contributed to a number of integral moments since arriving at The Valley in 2010, possibly none more so than scoring the winner against QPR last season that helped inspire the Addicks to safety.

Captain marvel: Johnnie Jackson
Cawley said: "He has a habit of popping up with crucial goals and is a calm head in the box. He leads by example."

The third player on Cawley's list has experience of playing in the Premier League

Andre Bikey appeared in the top flight with both Reading and Burnley and having arrived in the summer on a free transfer, has helped shore up the backline.

Cawley said: "He has looked solid. He is a big unit and has defended well because Charlton usually come under a lot of pressure the way they set up."

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/fulham-v-charlton-three-addicks-7987637?

WhiteJC

Fulham V Charlton at Craven Cottage - Match Preview

Symons may make changes

Fulham caretaker boss Kit Symons can rotate his squad for the visit of London rivals Charlton on Friday night.

Symons made five changes for the midweek 3-3 draw at Rotherham with only one of them enforced - defender Tim Hoogland missing out through illness.

Hoogland will return if he passes a fitness check while strikers Bryan Ruiz and Hugo Rodallega, defender Sean Kavanagh and former Charlton midfielder Scott Parker will also be in contention after they were rested.

Fernando Amorebieta is still out with a knee injury and Adam Taggart remains sidelined as he recovers from a back problem.Charlton midfielder Yoni Buyens is suspended after picking up his fifth yellow card of the season against Bolton on Tuesday night.

Winger Johann Berg Gudmundsson (ankle) and six-goal top scorer Igor Vetokele (Achilles) missed the 2-1 victory at The Valley and remain doubts, although boss Bob Peeters has not ruled them out completely.

Defender Joe Gomez (ankle) and striker Simon Church (shoulder) will miss out but Chris Solly is poised to return at right-back having rested his troublesome knee in midweek with the trip to Craven Cottage in mind.

Fulham know a point will see them climb out of the relegation zone while Charlton need a win to move to within a point of leaders Derby

http://www.fulham-mad.co.uk/news/tmnw/fulham_v_charlton_at_craven_cottage__match_preview_844165/index.shtml?

WhiteJC

Fulham striker made available for loan

Trotta given green light to get first-team football elsewhere

Hot to Trott: Marcello has been given permission to go on loan
Fulham striker Marcello Trotta has been told he can leave the club on loan.

The Italy U21 international has spent the past couple of years away from Craven Cottage gaining first-team experience at Wycombe Wanderers and Brentford.

Trotta returned to Motspur Park in the summer but has failed to make a single appearance, despite Fulham's poor start to the season.

And caretaker boss Kit Symons has given the 22-year-old the green light to get game time elsewhere.

He said: "Marcello is a player I know well from the U18s and U21s. There's been a couple of potential loans and he's looking to go out. There's definitely mileage in that.

"Footballers who are not playing are not much good to anyone and they won't be happy themselves. We need to get the appropriate games programme for every player."

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/fulham-striker-made-available-loan-7991532?

WhiteJC

Next Up: Charlton Athletic

It's a London derby under the Craven Cottage floodlights on Friday evening as Charlton Athletic make the 14-mile journey across the capital.

The opposition

Going into their game at AFC Bournemouth last Saturday, Charlton boasted the Sky Bet Championship's only unbeaten record, after Nottingham Forest had lost to Cardiff City earlier in the day. That record was no longer intact come 5pm following a 1-0 loss, but any Addicks fans would surely have settled for no defeats from their opening 11 matches.

A lot of their games have ended in draws, seven to be precise, but a number of impressive wins have seen them move to within a place of the Play-Off spots – any positive result against Fulham would see them move into the top six.

The current top two in the division have both been put to the sword by Charlton already this season. Derby County found themselves on the wrong end of a 3-2 thriller at The Valley in August, before Watford slipped to a 1-0 defeat a month later.

A new manager in the summer led to the arrival of a number of fresh faces. Igor Vetokele was playing UEFA Champions League football last season and has impressed since joining from FC Copenhagen – although he isn't expected to be involved at the Cottage on Friday.

The likes of Tal Ben Haim, Andre Bikey, Franck Moussa, Stephen Henderson and George Tucudean have also strengthened Bob Peeters' squad.

Team news

Addicks manager Peeters will be without several key personnel for Friday's South London derby. In addition to Vetokele (Achilles), Joe Gomez is struggling with an ankle injury and Johann Berg Gudmundsson is a doubt with a thigh complaint. Yoni Buyens misses out through suspension after picking up a fifth booking, although Chris Solly should return to the matchday squad.

Inside the camp

George Tucudean opened the scoring in Charlton's 2-1 win over Bolton Wanderers on Tuesday, and is keen to continue improving following his arrival from Standard Liege.

"Every player gets confidence once they've scored," he's quoted in News Shopper. "It relaxed me and I was able to play my football more. I can still be better but I was pleased with my performance.

"When I have played in Romania and Belgium it is more technical and here it is physical, but it is fine. I have to work hard to keep going. This is English football. We work hard and we have to prove that we are capable, especially those that are not from England.

"We've proved that we can go on a run before and we want to get a good result at Fulham. Every team is good in this league so we have to be careful of them all. They all have good, dangerous players. We have a good group and need to be a good family, outside and inside, to succeed."

Player to watch

Johnnie Jackson: The Camden-born midfielder is now part of the furniture at The Valley having made 180 appearances for the club since signing from Notts County four years ago, and in that time he's scored an impressive 47 goals. Began his career as a left-winger at Tottenham Hotspur where he played 24 times before moving on, he's since evolved into a more central player who looks to dictate the rhythm of the game. Now 32 and captain of Charlton, Jackson has played every game of their impression season to date and netted the winning goals against both Norwich City and Bolton in recent matches.

Marathonbet match odds

Fulham: 4/5

Draw: 53/20

Charlton Athletic: 21/5

Tickets for the game will be available to purchase on the gate, priced from £35 adults and £20 juniors.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2014/october/24/next-up-charlton-athletic?

WhiteJC

PREVIEW: Charlton vs Fulham

Read an in-depth preview ahead of Charlton's televised clash with Fulham on Friday night (7.45pm)
George Jones reports

Packed with thrills, spills and drama in abundance, if there was one thing that Charlton's season had been missing in recent weeks it was a London derby.

Barring the opening-day draw at Brentford, the Addicks have not contested 90 minutes with another side from the capital this term.

And in Fulham, Bob Peeters' men travel down the Thames tomorrow night (7.45pm) to take on one of the Championship's form teams.

The Cottagers sat rooted to the foot of the second tier four weeks ago, having picked up just one point from their first eight games of the season.

However, the departure of disciplinarian Felix Magath at the end of September appears to have breathed fresh air into their first-team squad.

Club legend Kit Symons now leads the recently-relegated Premier League outfit on a caretaker basis, and they have picked up 10 points from the last 15 on offer.

Boasting a side full of academy graduates, Symons guided Fulham to their first victory of the season against Birmingham City on September 27.

Since then, they have overcome Bolton Wanderers and Norwich City in West London, but the Addicks could well pose their toughest test of the season.

Although Charlton could be missing a couple of key individuals tomorrow, three points for Peeters' men will propel them to the summit of the Championship.

Read more at http://www.cafc.co.uk/news/article/20141024-preview-fuham-2036957.aspx#r6ZeiM0tFfck3fzS.99

WhiteJC

Fulham job could be yours, Kit, if you beat Charlton

Kit Symons will move a step closer to securing the Fulham manager's job if he can beat Charlton tonight and lift his struggling side out of the bottom three for the first time this season.

Chairman Shahid Khan is not scheduled to fly in from America until the week after next but has reached the conclusion that it is Symons' job to lose despite Steve Clarke and Chris Hughton being in contention for the position.

"I'm doing everything I can to secure the job, what more can I do?" said Symons ahead of tonight's London derby at Craven Cottage. "Hopefully a decision will be made sooner rather than later.

"In the meantime I'm just going to keep my head down until a decision is made. I've said all along that I want the right person to take this club forward. Naturally I'm biased because I want the job but that's probably the worse kept secret in Fulham."

Fulham go into the game following a dramatic 3-3 draw against Rotherham in midweek and Symons said it was a further demonstration of how his team have improved since his appointment.

He added: "I've set out to ensure we are difficult to beat and I believe we are achieving that. Earlier in the season we would have probably lost that game but I have players who want to play for me. They showed guts, determination and resilience against Rotherham."

Sky Sports 1, 7.45pm

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/fulham-job-could-be-yours-kit-if-you-beat-charlton-9815951.html

WhiteJC

Peeters wary of Fulham's strength in depth

Bob Peeters says Charlton will have to be at the top of their game to earn a result at Fulham on Friday evening
Iain Liddle reports

Bob Peeters says Charlton will have to be at the top of their game to earn a result at Fulham on Friday evening.

The Cottagers are in the bottom three in the Championship, but are on an upwards swing and have taken 10 points from the last 15 available.

Caretaker Manager Kit Symons has restored some of the squad's more experienced members to the line-up in recent weeks and possess and are able to call upon players such as Bryan Ruiz, Ross McCormack and former Addick Scott Parker.

"They are more than a threat," said Peeters. "Especially when you have to go to Craven Cottage.

"I saw the Fulham and Wolverhampton game, under Felix Magath, and at that moment they were nowhere near the team they are now.

"Then I went back for the Fulham vs Bolton game and they battered them. They won 4-0 and it could have been five or six. They were putting on a show.

"If you see all the players like Bryan Ruiz, who I worked with when I was an U21 coach at Gent, he is still a top quality player who went to the World Cup.

"They have McCormack, Scott Parker and a lot of players with Premier League experience. It is going to be a tough game."

Symons was able to rotate his squad for the game at Rotherham United on Tuesday evening, where they came from behind on three occasions to draw 3-3.

Peeters, comparatively, had to field several players from the club's development squad on his bench for the 2-1 win over Bolton Wanderers.

Charlton's Head Coach admits there is a large disparity between the two side's playing budgets, but is at least able to welcome back Chris Solly into the squad for Friday evening's game.

"I think their parachute payment is bigger than our budget so that tells a lot about the financial budget they have," said Peeters.

"It is a game with 11 players against 11 and a ball. We must try to win, that is the most important thing, and we will see how well we have recovered.

"If you have a small squad you don't have the opportunity to rest four or five players like Fulham did so they are going to have a lot of fresh legs and, for us, Chris Solly will return and that will be the only one."

Read more at http://www.cafc.co.uk/news/article/20141024-peeters-on-fulham-2037378.aspx#7tlX9FP3IWsJEAuO.99

WhiteJC

Former Leeds United frontman backed for Fulham success

McCormack reckons Smith will come good for new club

Summer signing: Matt Smith has had a slow start to his Fulham career
Ross McCormack has backed fellow frontman Matt Smith to start firing for Fulham.

The pair forged a lethal partnership at Leeds United last season but have managed just four goals between them for their new club.

Smith was sent-off on his Fulham debut against Reading last month but came off the bench in Tuesday night's 3-3 draw at Rotherham United.

Deadly duo: Ross McCormack and Smith
And McCormack insists it's only a matter of time before the 25-year-old comes good for the Cottagers.

"Matt gives us a different option," said the Scottish striker. "He enables us to play back to front and go more direct.

"I've no doubt that he will be a success for Fulham."

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/former-leeds-united-frontman-backed-7992629?

WhiteJC

Old Head, Young Shoulders

The 2014/15 season has been up and down for Dan Burn. Out of favour as the campaign commenced, he's now one of the first names on the teamsheet.

Nobody has played more football for Fulham of late than Burn. He hasn't missed a moment of the previous 11 matches - a feat not matched by anyone else in the squad. But there were concerns that the giant centre-back would not become the defensive mainstay he currently is after he wasn't selected for any of our first four games this season.

"It was horrible - probably one of my worst times in football," he tells Friday's official matchday programme. "I've been playing five years now and that's probably the worst time in my career. But I decided to get my head down and keep working.

"I was one of the few players who had Championship experience. I felt I knew the league and once we got relegated I thought it was a chance for me to cement a starting place. Obviously with Brede [Hangeland] and Johnny [Heitinga] leaving I thought it was time to step up.

"Even though it was tough I knew I needed to set an example to the young lads because although I'm still only 22, in this squad I'm one of the older guys so you have to show that you can't just spit your dummy out, you've just got to graft and take your chance when you get it."

His chance came in the Capital One Cup at Brentford where he helped the Whites nab a first clean sheet of the campaign en route to the next round. Going into the game he knew he needed to perform, and his imperious display at the back made it impossible to leave him out for the next match.

"I knew that was make or break with the manager," he said. "I had to put in a performance where he didn't really have a choice, or I was never going to play for Fulham again. So I was just glad that everyone performed very well and we got a clean sheet. At the time we weren't winning never mind getting clean sheets, so that was a big bonus. Even being made Captain second half - I went from not playing at all to being skipper so it shows you how quickly things turn around."

To read the full interview with Burn, get your hands on a copy of the matchday programme against Charlton Athletic on Friday.

Other exclusive highlights in the only matchday magazine that matters - which is also available to download digitally from 10am on Friday - are:

Caretaker Manager Kit Symons on the win over Norwich City and the crazy draw at Rotherham United
Lasse Vigen Christensen answers your questions via our social media channels
In our regular feature, key figures take a walk back down memory lane to the 1981/82 promotion-winning season
Ex-Brush Strokes actor Karl Howman, soon to star in EastEnders, discusses his love for Charlton and his friendship with our very own Les Strong
David 'Diddy' Hamilton remembers Sam Bartram, Charlton's favourite son
Young goalkeeper Marek Rodàk is profiled in 'Through The Ranks'
And Gentleman Jim brings fans his latest column

Priced £3.50, the 84-page publication is available from various sellers on Stevenage Road from two hours before kick-off. Fans can also save money by taking out a season subscription. Head here for more details.

The programme is also available as an app with added video content from 10am on Friday, so whether you're at home or away, you need never be without it on your iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch, PC or Mac via Apple's Newsstand. The programme is also available via the Pocketmags app on Kindle Fire and Blackberry Playbook. You can subscribe for the whole season for the digital edition for just £24.99 or buy a single issue for £1.99.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2014/october/24/old-head-young-shoulders?

WhiteJC

IS FULHAM'S SEASON FINALLY BACK ON TRACK?

It's been a tough start to life in the Championship for Fulham Football Club. Before a ball was kicked, the Whites had just spent a cool £11million on Ross McCormack, the league's top scorer the season before and had at the helm a manager with two Bundesliga titles on his CV.

The bookies had Fulham as one of the promotion favourites; the fans were expecting a return to the Premier League at the first attempt. Six weeks and seven Championship games later, Fulham are second bottom of the table without a league win, having sacked their disgraced manager and their promotion hopes seemingly a distant memory. Home losses to lowly Millwall and Wolves as well as a 5-1 thumping away to Derby were notable lows during a disastrous start to the season.

Kit Symons, the clubs U21 manager was appointed on an interim basis tasked with changing the club's fortunes. Symons made more than 100 appearances for the club as a player, involved in the Fulham team that gained promotion to the Premier League back in 2000.

Having previously coached the club's development teams, and gaining further coaching experience as assistant manager of Wales, Symons certainly has the credentials for the job. Originally, Fulham's struggles continued with a 1-0 loss to Blackburn, summarising the task facing the new man in charge. However, a victory in the League Cup was followed with Fulham's first league win of the season, a 2-1 victory away at Birmingham. Further victories against Bolton and Norwich further strengthened Fulham's position in the league, with a 2-0 loss to Middlesbrough the only other blemish on an otherwise perfect record for Symons.

The recent victory against Norwich will no doubt be a pivotal moment in the club's season. Norwich, top of the table on goal difference, visited Craven Cottage with 21 places separating the two teams. The subsequent 1-0 victory was a huge indicator that the team was finally starting to fulfil its potential, and the players were capable of beating the best in the division. The performance was probably one of the worst under Symons, highlighting the determination and persistence of the team to play badly and still grind out a victory.

The quality of football under the old regime was lacklustre and boring; the players looked uninterested and lost. With the introduction of Symons, the smiles were back on the faces of the fans, as well as the players, who were playing for a manager they believed in.

With victory over Norwich, Fulham are now just 10 points of the playoffs. Promotion was the club's target before the season, and it is still a realistic aim, which can be achieved. Another positive from the Norwich result was the goalscorer, young Sean Kavanagh, another first team player who has come through the category one academy at Fulham.

Symons has been able to turn around the club's fortunes without removing the youth players from the first team set up, something the fans are extremely proud of. Of the 11 players who started the game against Norwich, four were academy players, with a further two youngsters coming off the bench.

With fellow strugglers Rotherham, Blackpool and Wigan coming up in the next five games, Fulham now have an opportunity to really kick on and climb up the table. As the talented youth players learn and get better with every performance, the quality of the squad should only increase. If key players such as Scott Parker and Ross McCormack can return to form, then Fulham will be a force to be reckoned with as they climb up the table and strive towards the Premier League.

http://www.footballfancast.com/championship/fulham/is-fulhams-season-finally-back-on-track?