watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Fulham's yesteryear unsung heroes

Started by Barrett487, October 27, 2014, 07:56:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrett487

I'm talking about the guys who don't always get the plaudits.

I nominate Alan Slough, i always enjoyed his total commitment, his forward runs, his passing and his influence, yet few ever talked about him.  065.gif

HatterDon

Quote from: Barrett487 on October 27, 2014, 07:56:20 PM

I nominate Alan Slough, i always enjoyed his total commitment, his forward runs, his passing and his influence, yet few ever talked about him.  065.gif

There are Luton Town supporters from the same era who would lift their glasses and shout, "hear hear." He was a solid player.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Barrett487

Quote from: HatterDon on October 27, 2014, 08:04:30 PM
Quote from: Barrett487 on October 27, 2014, 07:56:20 PM

There are Luton Town supporters from the same era who would lift their glasses and shout, "hear hear." He was a solid player.

Slough and Busby in the same Fulham team.... you must v enjoyed that?

Lighthouse

John Marshall played from 83-84 to 96-07  and over 450 Appearances. Became a youth coach and  scout for the club. Was always a whole hearted player who never gave less than his all.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Rhys Lightning 63

Does 06/07 count as yesteryear? In which case, I nominate BJORN RUMSTROM!!!
@MattRhys63 - be warned, there will be a lot of nonsense

dannyboi-ffc

Alan Goma, people talk about H & H and rightly so but Goma was a better player than Hughes and never played next to a quality partner in Brede. He was alongside Melvillio and then Knight.....

Our very own Kit Symons, two promotions where he was overshadowed by Cookie, scored a lot of goals especially in keegan 's promotion year and stepped up when cookie had his car crash to help see us over the line. Lost his place to Goma with promotion and left. Until the last handful of years where he burst onto the scene as u 21 coach very few fans mentioned him. It was always saha davis Coleman etc....

Darren Freeman was a very good winger but injuries cut short what we saw of him, again an important player in micky Adams team but nowadays I never see his name mentioned when talking up that promotion team.

Erik nevland- I've mentioned it a few times but nevland scored the two goals that kept us up. Forget the outcome of results, we finished above reading on goal difference, we stayed up by 2 goals and had nevland not scored injury time goals away to reading and home to Birmingham we would've gone down. Only three matches were won by two goals that season so only those 3 games could change the outcome of goal difference. Without those two goals reading would've stayed up instead by one goal. I don't think people realise that, it's not interpretation of the situation, it's fact and man city, pompey etc mean nothing without them.

Good post, I'm looking forward to seeing what names are put forward
Give us a follow @dannyboi_ffc   @fulham_focus

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

Supporting Fulham isn't about winning, it's about belonging

b+w geezer

Quote from: Riether Lightning 63 on October 27, 2014, 08:13:00 PM
Presumably in jest. Ten minutes or so as a late sub at Spurs and then one league cup match (not sure it was even the whole of that) and wasn't that the sum total of his first team appearances. Sunk without trace after he left us too. Just a weird signing, as was Ahmed Elrich.

Anyone of a certain age will meanwhile be posting `Stan Brown' in answer to the original question. A decade later, Slough is an excellent shout too -- except only if it's alleged that they are both so widely agreed among veteran supporters to be under-appreciated that actually they aren't!

Barrett487

Quote from: dannyboi-ffc on October 27, 2014, 08:14:48 PM
Alan Goma, people talk about H & H and rightly so but Goma was a better player than Hughes and never played next to a quality partner in Brede. He was alongside Melvillio and then Knight.....

Our very own Kit Symons, two promotions where he was overshadowed by Cookie, scored a lot of goals especially in keegan 's promotion year and stepped up when cookie had his car crash to help see us over the line. Lost his place to Goma with promotion and left. Until the last handful of years where he burst onto the scene as u 21 coach very few fans mentioned him. It was always saha davis Coleman etc....

Darren Freeman was a very good winger but injuries cut short what we saw of him, again an important player in mice Adams team but nowadays I never see his name mentioned when talking up that promotion team.

Erik nevland- I've mentioned it a few times but nevland scored the two goals that kept us up. Forget the outcome of results, we finished above reading on goal difference, we stayed up by 2 goals and had nevland not scored injury time goals away to reading and home to Birmingham we would've gone down. Only three matches were won by two goals that season so only those 3 games could change the outcome of goal difference. Without those two goals reading would've stayed up instead by one goal. I don't think people realise that, it's not interpretation of the situation, it's fact and man city, pompey etc mean nothing without them.

Good post, I'm looking forward to seeing what names are put forward

Goma's a great shout, and i have heard people swooning over his skill and reading of the game quite recently.

Barrett487

Quote from: b+w geezer on October 27, 2014, 08:19:04 PM
Presumably in jest. Ten minutes or so as a late sub at Spurs and then one league cup match (not sure it was even the whole of that) and wasn't that the sum total of his first team appearances. Sunk without trace after he left us too. Just a weird signing, as was Ahmed Elrich.

Anyone of a certain age will meanwhile be posting `Stan Brown' in answer to the original question. A decade later, Slough is an excellent shout too -- except only if it's alleged that they are both so widely agreed among veteran supporters to be under-appreciated that actually they aren't!

Maybe not under-appreciated.... just overshadowed by 'names'.

b+w geezer

Quote from: Barrett487 on October 27, 2014, 08:23:09 PM
Maybe not under-appreciated.... just overshadowed by 'names'.
Then certainly applicable to Brown and Slough.
Much more recently, Etuhu was without doubt overshadowed. More contentious is whether he was also under-appreciated.

Barrett487

Does 06/07 count as yesteryear?

in my books that's certainly within the parameters of the subject....... i would steer away from recent/current players tho..

LBNo11

Quote from: Lighthouse on October 27, 2014, 08:10:39 PM
John Marshall played from 83-84 to 96-07  and over 450 Appearances. Became a youth coach and  scout for the club. Was always a whole hearted player who never gave less than his all.

...you beat me to it Lighthouse, John 'Mash' Marshall, a real unsung hero who came through the ranks as an apprentice, and played as a real utility player up front, in the middle or in defence for the first team when things were really tough at Fulham, and then went on to become chief scout. A dedicated Fulham man who deserved his testimonial...
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

Mince n Tatties

Barrett487

Quote from: LBNo11 on October 27, 2014, 08:46:05 PM
Quote from: Lighthouse on October 27, 2014, 08:10:39 PM

...you beat me to it Lighthouse, John 'Mash' Marshall, a real unsung hero who came through the ranks as an apprentice, and played as a real utility player up front, in the middle or in defence for the first team when things were really tough at Fulham, and then went on to become chief scout. A dedicated Fulham man who deserved his testimonial...

not forgetting his contribution to 75's cup year

Barrett487

Quote from: Mince n Tatties on October 27, 2014, 08:46:23 PM
Nick Cusack..........

Nick's a good shout.. didn't he alternate between back four and no.10?

Mince n Tatties

Quote from: Barrett487 on October 27, 2014, 08:53:33 PM
Nick Cusack..........

Nick's a good shout.. didn't he alternate between back four and no.10?

Yes...Didnt play Iin the best of sides, but I always thought he earned
his wages.....

SuffolkWhite

Robert Wilson for me in Super Mac's 80's team
Guy goes into the doctor's.
"Doc, I've got a cricket ball stuck up my backside
"How's that?"
"Don't you start"

Peabody

Eddie Lowe is a perfect example, as was Arthur Stevens. Modest men, who never craved the limelight and gave their all for FFC

Barrett487

Richard Money had class... solid player

epsomraver

Nick Cusack..........

Met him a little while ago, he works for the FA as a ref assesor