watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Players we were mad to let go

Started by Andy S, October 27, 2014, 09:51:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy S

There have been a few over the years the obvious one being Alan Mullery. But there are plenty more Paul Went was an outstanding Centre half. and at the time we never replaced him. Teddy Maybank from Chelsea, only to sell him a couple of seasons later. John Lacy, Tony Gale to West Ham Even Alan Clarke to Leicester. Ivor to Chelsea, Paul Parker to QPR. Ray Houghton a free from West Ham Sold to Bristol City or Rovers.

b+w geezer

Malcolm Macdonald. Raised in Finlay Street. Came to us as a non-league fullback who was almost immediately converted to centre forward and looked by far the best hope for goals in what proved our second successive relegation season. But his face didn't fit, he didn't get a look in after a while and wily old Alec Stock picked him for peanuts for Luton....for whom he was instantly a star striker, going on to be an idol at Newcastle and doing OK at Arsenal too.

Not just in retrospect, supporters at the time said we were mad to let him go -- if there had been messageboards at the time, they'd have been in meltdown.

Hopefully we won't be saying the same (albeit in a much more muted way) about Chris David.

gerrys

Quote from: b+w geezer on October 27, 2014, 10:01:04 PM
Malcolm Macdonald. Raised in Finlay Street. Came to us as a non-league fullback who was almost immediately converted to centre forward and looked by far the best hope for goals in what proved our second successive relegation season. But his face didn't fit, he didn't get a look in after a while and wily old Alec Stock picked him for peanuts for Luton....for whom he was instantly a star striker, going on to be an idol at Newcastle and doing OK at Arsenal too.

Not just in retrospect, supporters at the time said we were mad to let him go -- if there had been messageboards at the time, they'd have been in meltdown.

Hopefully we won't be saying the same (albeit in a much more muted way) about Chris David.

Yes he was our top-scorer, wasn't he.......came from Tonbridge, I never managed to understand how we sold him....

f bloke

Paul Went a good shout. Absolutely gutted when he and Earle were sold.  More recently very sorry to see Dembele go and thought Frei and Tankovic discarded/released a little too easily

ron

Not much ever got past John Dempsey at centre half...

......except his eventual haircut past the style police!

Barrett487

Quote from: Andy S on October 27, 2014, 09:51:45 PM
There have been a few over the years the obvious one being Alan Mullery. But there are plenty more Paul Went was an outstanding Centre half. and at the time we never replaced him. Teddy Maybank from Chelsea, only to sell him a couple of seasons later. John Lacy, Tony Gale to West Ham Even Alan Clarke to Leicester. Ivor to Chelsea, Paul Parker to QPR. Ray Houghton a free from West Ham Sold to Bristol City or Rovers.

Most players chose to go... we didn't let many slip through out fingers without a fee. It's about the money, i'm afraid.

Most recently Steve Sidwell shouldn't v left us to be a Stoke bench-warmer.

HatterDon

Quote from: Barrett487 on October 27, 2014, 11:14:18 PM

Most players chose to go... we didn't let many slip through out fingers without a fee. It's about the money, i'm afraid.

Most recently Steve Sidwell shouldn't v left us to be a Stoke bench-warmer.

Perhaps he realized that he couldn't take another day of being our best player but constantly slated on Fulham sites. Or, more likely, there wasn't enough money in the world for him to be around Magath.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Me-ate-Live, innit??

Liam Rosenoir   swapped with Soul by  a man with none ................

And before you say he is crap, seven  years on he is playing in the  Premiership 

fulhamben

Quote from: KCat on October 27, 2014, 11:57:04 PM

Liam Rosenoir   swapped with Soul by  a man with none ................

And before you say he is crap, seven  years on he is playing in the  Premiership 
but not long after, we had volz, who i thought was better. so is it wrong to sell a player if the replacement is better, not in my eyes
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

Me-ate-Live, innit??

there were with us for and at the same time ..
Volz  came in 2004 and left 2008
Liam 2003 to 2007

.....................and Liam is still in the Premiership

Snibbo

Rodney Marsh and Malcolm McDonald. Not only letting them go but letting them go for sweet FA.

fulhamben

Quote from: KCat on October 28, 2014, 12:16:08 AM
there were with us for and at the same time ..
Volz  came in 2004 and left 2008
Liam 2003 to 2007

.....................and Liam is still in the Premiership

so you dissapointed that a reserve player was let go because he is playing in a league above us? was you gutted that we let him go when we finished 7th and got to a european final. something we might not achieved had he of stayed
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

St Eve

Recently Saha,Steeeeeeed, Sean, VDS

St Eve

Older players - Barrett, Earle, Conway, Ivor, Finns, Busby, Cole,

Holders

And the list will go on: Roberts, Hyndman, David, LVC etc.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

westcliff white

houghton went to oxford for around 150,000, but we did never replace him but the club needed the cash i seem to remember
Every day is a Fulham day

cmg

Many of those mentioned went for decent money (Mullery for instance), some (Clarke, Dembele) commanded good fees and we coudn't have done much to keep them anyway, some actually had long careers at Fulham (we got good money for Ivor, he wasn't away long and we got easily the best out of him).

But, after almost fifty years, the Macdonald business still wrankles.

We've seen this old footage before:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=http://gdata.youtube.com/feeds/api/videos/FuQ4SyvckVq?v=2#errorVideo not found

This is Macdonald playing, at 18, his fifth senior game. He scores one excellent goal, goes close twice more, crosses with both feet (not at once), tackles back, makes telling passes, runs all over the place and displays his ultra-long throw. Sensational. Johnny Haynes, apparently, didn't like him (he was always brash and outspoken) and that was it. Very sad.

Ordar

Saha leaving still rattles me. Was really the turning point between us really trying to push on, and Al Fayed losing interest

Andy S

Yes but the money we got from Saha paid for the ground improvements. £11m and he was always unfit for man u. I agree about McDonald to Luton though. You could see he was going to be very good as he was strong and hungry.

Tonywa

Ray Houghton didn't go to either of the Bristol clubs.  Surely he went to Oxford United back in the days when they were in the top division.