more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Players we were mad to let go

Started by Andy S, October 27, 2014, 09:51:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

b+w geezer

Quote from: Tonywa on October 28, 2014, 09:49:40 AM
ughton didn't go to either of the Bristol clubs.  Surely he went to Oxford United back in the days when they were in the top division.
Correct. Meanwhile cmg a little above sums it up perfectly about Macdonald. Unfortunately the video he references doesn't seem to be available, but his description of it is eloquent. In the same time span as him, I continue also to find this the standout blunder to beat them all.

cmg

Fulham v Blackburn Rovers 1968

Give this a whirl - I'm at work so can't cut and paste. I thing I typed the URL wrong

TonyGilroy

Quote from: b+w geezer on October 28, 2014, 10:01:57 AM
ughton didn't go to either of the Bristol clubs.  Surely he went to Oxford United back in the days when they were in the top division.
Correct. Meanwhile cmg a little above sums it up perfectly about Macdonald. Unfortunately the video he references doesn't seem to be available, but his description of it is eloquent. In the same time span as him, I continue also to find this the standout blunder to beat them all.

MacDonald may be the only player that we got rid of unnecessarily and cheaply and who went on to be a very good player.

Others went to better themselves and/or because we wanted the money.

the nutflush

Stockdale.  To make matters worse we replaced him with a pyjama wearing clown impersonating a goalkeeper.

colinwhite

didnt Ray Houghton go to oxford before he went on to Liverpool and Villa by which point he was considered to be a top class player? We let him go too easily ....

blingo

b+w geezer

I've now viewed that footage of the match  46 years ago. Just as cmg reports above, Malcolm Macdonald "scores one excellent goal, goes close twice more, crosses with both feet" [and what fine crosses they are, both under pressure]  "tackles back, makes telling passes, runs all over the place and displays his ultra-long throw."

He has just arrived as a full-back from non-league aged 18 (18 !) and it's the same division we are in now. To say the least it's promising, isn't it. Spectators certainly thought so (Tony Gilroy and I would be among that throng in the Enclosure, pinching ourselves at how the club had landed this young chap out of nowhere).....but he was soon dropped and when the season ended was sold cheaply.

Having managed 5 goals in 13 games for us, MacDonald scored 49 in 88 for Luton, 95 in 187 for Newcastle and 42 in 84 for Arsenal. Point proven. We threw him away. He was even raised around the corner from the ground for heaven sake. It still hurts.

nose

Quote from: TonyGilroy on October 28, 2014, 10:21:14 AM
Quote from: b+w geezer on October 28, 2014, 10:01:57 AM

MacDonald may be the only player that we got rid of unnecessarily and cheaply and who went on to be a very good player.

Others went to better themselves and/or because we wanted the money.

And rodney marsh to QPR was in the same category as Mac.

And the reason both left was because a certasin mr J Haynes disliked both of them. I think, if i recall the folkelore of the time, was that they were boith far to cocky and full of themselves and would not role over and worship the great man. so they left for peanuts and went on to great things elsewhere!

We had poor management then and it has rarely been much different for us.

Regarding saha. I have always thought we stitched up manchester united and in reality got the better end of the deal. We sold him injured and he rarely lasted any number of games without being injured again. he was a great player but i think we had the best out of him. keeping him would have been more of a gamble, replacing him almost impossible. It was a bit like us buying AJ. I loved hiim as a player but how often was he sidelined with injury? seemingly all the time.

watfordwhite

Quote from: the nutflush on October 28, 2014, 10:44:49 AM
Stockdale.  To make matters worse we replaced him with a pyjama wearing clown impersonating a goalkeeper.
[/quote

:plus one: and Steeeeeed. I would have him back today..

dannyboi-ffc

I was disappointed we didn't choose to sign martin djetou permanently after a two year loan spell. I thought he was a very good player.

Boa more but that's only because he was my favourite player, I don't think we've ever replaced him but he probably went at the right time, a bit like Brede the captaincy ruined his game. I'd probably have to say dembele vds or saha.

From players I didn't expect to go because they weren't destined for the big time I'd go for Chris baird. He was a good squad player and achieved a lot with us, we seemed to just dump him without any clubs being interested in him.
Give us a follow @dannyboi_ffc   @fulham_focus

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

Supporting Fulham isn't about winning, it's about belonging

win-dup

Quote from: cmg on October 28, 2014, 10:17:04 AM
Fulham v Blackburn Rovers 1968

Give this a whirl - I'm at work so can't cut and paste. I thing I typed the URL wrong

wow! thanks for posting this. Think I saw the peanut seller at the Hammersmith end!!

TheDaddy

What about our million pound keeper Stan ?
"Well blow me if it wasnt the badger who did it "

Jims Dentist

Less high profile, but not only did they poach supermac but also John Ryan went to Luton,  who had shown good potential witbh us and went on with Luton to be a verry good right back.

HatterDon

Quote from: Jims Dentist on October 30, 2014, 07:42:41 PM
Less high profile, but not only did they poach supermac but also John Ryan went to Luton,  who had shown good potential witbh us and went on with Luton to be a verry good right back.

An excellent right back. I didn't realize he was also with Fulham. At least I got to see him play. SuperMac was signed right after I left the country and transferred to Newcastle just before I got back.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Tonywa

Quote from: dannyboi-ffc on October 28, 2014, 06:59:59 PM
I was disappointed we didn't choose to sign martin djetou permanently after a two year loan spell. I thought he was a very good player.

Boa more but that's only because he was my favourite player, I don't think we've ever replaced him but he probably went at the right time, a bit like Brede the captaincy ruined his game. I'd probably have to say dembele vds or saha.

From players I didn't expect to go because they weren't destined for the big time I'd go for Chris baird. He was a good squad player and achieved a lot with us, we seemed to just dump him without any clubs being interested in him.

Certainly agree on Djetou.  A really top player and one capable of playing in a variety of positions across the back four and also in midfield.  One of my favourite players at the time.

Forever Fulham

Stockdale, Gera, Malbranque, Holtby (buy out his contract), and Etuhu.  I loved Dickson Etuhu.  Under different manager, he would have thrived.  Oh, and Carlos Salcido. 

HatterDon

Quote from: Forever Fulham on October 31, 2014, 01:47:20 AM
Stockdale, Gera, Malbranque, Holtby (buy out his contract), and Etuhu.  I loved Dickson Etuhu.  Under different manager, he would have thrived.  Oh, and Carlos Salcido. 

So pleased to see the love for Etuhu and Salcido. Dickson played brilliantly under Roy. His job was to protect the back four, win the ball, and get rid of it right away to Danny. He did that in every match and was constantly slated for it on every Fulham forum I ever saw.

Salcido is the best LB I've seen in Fulham colors since I started supporting in the 04-05 season. He was a solid defender and had an excellent left foot on him. When crime drove him out of London, he won a league championship and an Olympic gold medal and retired as a playmaking center mid.

"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Black, White and Fred

Wayne Routledge seems to have come good wouldn't you say? Even if he was only on loan.
'A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.'

Friedrich Nietzsche

3rd Gen Fulham Fan since 1996

AUSFFC

Quote from: Forever Fulham on October 31, 2014, 01:47:20 AM

I agree with Holtby 100%, buying him out, that guy was great I though. such quality and heart

But would he really have stayed in the championship?
"Never expecting, always believing" COYW

Fernhurst

Thank you CMG, thoroughly enjoyed that footage.
Relieved also to find I am not the only one to be aware of the reason young MacDonald left Fulham.

Who also remembers him coming back to haunt us scoring the only goal for Luton? (Was it a cup game?) sporting a quite handsome pair of mutton chops.
No reluctance to celebrate in those days. Luton in Red or Orange shirts..... When was that?
The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.