News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Is there anyone else out there like me who is not bothered ??

Started by vagrant, June 30, 2010, 08:13:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vagrant

Roy brought to this club stability and organisation for which I am very very grateful, and I believe it's this that Liverpool hope they are buying.

But a brief check on his record over the past 2 full seasons glosses over so much that is just wrong.

Season 2008/09.  Finished 7th.  Brilliant.  Away from home 3 wins, 11 goals of which 6 came in 2 matches.  Did not score in 12 away fixtures.

Season 2009/10.  Finished 12th.  Not bad.  Away from home 1 win (against Portsmouth), 12 goals.  Did not score in 10 matches.  On that success voted Manager of the Year.  Ok, the Europe adventure was unbelievable, but it's not our bread and butter.

Last year in over a third of our matches we did not score a single goal.  Am I missing something?  Is Roy that God-like?

Nah !!  let's move on.

LBNo11

...Mr Hodgson brought us to a level we could only dream about in terms of stability. Those of us who witnessed the last couple of seasons may well look back on his stewardship as our halcyon age.

Nevertheless the rigid tactical format, at away games, without the amazing support they enjoyed at the home games, exposed frustrating weaknesses in the lack of a plan 'B' from our manager.

I truly believe that had AJ continued to be fit we would have struggled to achieve the success we had. His injury forced BZ into the target role, which he excelled at, and until his obvious injury he was banging in goals for fun, and Zoltan, Simon and Clint seemed to enjoy a new found freedom and a belief in their own abilities. Maybe Mr Hodgson was fortunate that things panned out due to his favoured strikers injury?

Mr Hodgson was not a god, he was the best manager I have ever seen for keeping us playing at a level that we could compete with and beat the big boys, but not so good at beating the teams we feel were below us in skill levels.

Confusing emotions for me, Tigana was the best ever manager - for one season, Mr Hodgson for two and a bit. I believe that with more funding and a higher level of quality, we would have been pushing for a comfortable top ten berth had he stayed for the next campaign.

But now, as so often happens at Fulham, circumstances beyond our control lead us to a new path, and as ever I will follow it whatever the outcome, short or long term.

The king is dead, long live the new king....until someone comes in for him....etc.,
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

FatFreddysCat

Come on Vagrant for fecks sake, my last game was Fulham in Germany for a European cup final,I just cant see that ever happening again in my life time, and it was apart from my two kids births (i gave the second a swerve)my proudest moment in my life. I got there late (again) looked at the pitch and our fans and blubbed like a baby (again). Roy is a God, but now he's gone, let's hope that the next manager , hopefully Hughes will take us to a few domestic finals and make us as awkward to beat as Blackburn were on a much lesser budget than he'll hopefully get. Long live Sparkyticus.

Peabody

I thank Roy for the prideI have felt in my team over the last couple of years but I feel he has let us and himself down over the last month. He, like all of us new about Liverpools interest in his services and in my view, he should have come out ans said either "go away, I am not interested or and I do not blame him, said yest they are a big club and I would love to manage them. However, he has left us (FFC) in a terrible position of not knowing whether we had a manager or not. We could have had a replacement in, signing new players and running things some three weeks ago. Roy I am grateful to you but this has not been your best performance.

BestOfBrede

Quote from: LBNo11 on June 30, 2010, 08:37:09 PM
...Mr Hodgson brought us to a level we could only dream about in terms of stability. Those of us who witnessed the last couple of seasons may well look back on his stewardship as our halcyon age.

Nevertheless the rigid tactical format, at away games, without the amazing support they enjoyed at the home games, exposed frustrating weaknesses in the lack of a plan 'B' from our manager.

I truly believe that had AJ continued to be fit we would have struggled to achieve the success we had. His injury forced BZ into the target role, which he excelled at, and until his obvious injury he was banging in goals for fun, and Zoltan, Simon and Clint seemed to enjoy a new found freedom and a belief in their own abilities. Maybe Mr Hodgson was fortunate that things panned out due to his favoured strikers injury?

Mr Hodgson was not a god, he was the best manager I have ever seen for keeping us playing at a level that we could compete with and beat the big boys, but not so good at beating the teams we feel were below us in skill levels.

Confusing emotions for me, Tigana was the best ever manager - for one season, Mr Hodgson for two and a bit. I believe that with more funding and a higher level of quality, we would have been pushing for a comfortable top ten berth had he stayed for the next campaign.

But now, as so often happens at Fulham, circumstances beyond our control lead us to a new path, and as ever I will follow it whatever the outcome, short or long term.

The king is dead, long live the new king....until someone comes in for him....etc.,
This sums up my feelings pretty much and in a way that I could not have put down!
Excellent.
Now I know why Les was and is still my favourite player!

OldBrownShoe

There is plenty of wisdom on this board and particularly in this thread so humble apologies if this breaks the sequence!

A few things occur. How many times have we been strongly linked with a player who has been, we are given to understand, permission to talk to the club and/or have a medical. Then we wait and wait and wait and nothing happens. The deal breaks down over medical or money or some such.

Similarly the word has been out on the street about Liverpool and Roy for some time now and still no news. Of course it could all break today or tomorrow or Tuesday week. Excuse me a small giggle but has Roy failed his medical?!!!

Getting back to being serious I have to ask why would Liverpool want Roy? Impressed with our often dull, one paced and cautious play with no Plan B perhaps? Our inability to mash the Hulls of this world? Impressed by our away record? Or seeming reluctance to throw young homegrown professionals into the fray when necessary? Or able to give him the smallest transfer budget in fifty years?

Let's hope we hear something positive today.

Whoops! He has gone!  And he is being replaced by...??????
Johny's in the basement
Mixing up the medicine
I'm on the pavement
Thinking about the government
The man in the trench coat
Badge out, laid off
Says he's got a bad cough
Wants to get it paid off
Look out kid
It's somethin' you did
God knows when
But you're doin' it again
l

LBNo11

...if 'Hubcaps' Hodgson is to officially leave today, I hope that Fulham FC officially announce our new manager within seconds..!

B.O.B  :009:
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

OldBrownShoe

With the Club's considerable grasp of good public relations they have announced that Ray Lew will be caretaker until a new manager can be appointed!
Johny's in the basement
Mixing up the medicine
I'm on the pavement
Thinking about the government
The man in the trench coat
Badge out, laid off
Says he's got a bad cough
Wants to get it paid off
Look out kid
It's somethin' you did
God knows when
But you're doin' it again
l

Peabody

Much as I am grateful for what Roy acheived, I still think he has not covered himself in glory on this matter. He , it now seems, not only wants Brede but Danny Murphy as well. I really hope that Fulham are going to be strong on this because it is being stated that Liverpool will only let him have £15m and any monies he raises. Can you picture it, £3m + Lucas for Brede!

vagrant

Fred I have stated that the Europa trip was unbelievable and I can understand why you blubbed.  I did the same thing when John Mitchell scored in the last minute of extra time to take us to Wembley in '75.

But for the reasons I have already mentioned, his league record was one of organisation and nothing more.  The figures speak for themselves.  The Italian 1980's mentality of not conceding.  Also some of his substitutions (or lack of) left a hell of a lot to be desired.

I just think that this year Roy might, just might, have got found out with another season at Fulham, because if we started to lose a few more home matches we could have found ourselves in a whole lot of trouble.  My opinion......

Logicalman

Quote from: vagrant on July 01, 2010, 01:30:19 PM
Fred I have stated that the Europa trip was unbelievable and I can understand why you blubbed.  I did the same thing when John Mitchell scored in the last minute of extra time to take us to Wembley in '75.

But for the reasons I have already mentioned, his league record was one of organisation and nothing more.  The figures speak for themselves.  The Italian 1980's mentality of not conceding.  Also some of his substitutions (or lack of) left a hell of a lot to be desired.

I just think that this year Roy might, just might, have got found out with another season at Fulham, because if we started to lose a few more home matches we could have found ourselves in a whole lot of trouble.  My opinion......

Mr V,
I Accept what you say, though I would also counter with the assertion that it was more than just organization that has taken Fulham on their wonder trip this past season. There is the motivation factor to add in as well, and that can count for a lot more than just basic abilities of the players (I think we have all just witnessed that with the England squad). Roy has the ability to organize AND motivate, something that the Liverpool board are buying into for their squad.