watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Fulham will take a Month to Appoint New Manager

Started by Lighthouse, July 01, 2010, 10:47:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lighthouse

FULHAM will take up to a month to appoint a new manager because they don't need one in July.

Everything for pre-season fitness training that starts on Monday was in place months before Roy Hodgson resigned this week – and coaches Ray Lewington and Billy McKinlay will steer the ship while the Whites sift through the avalanche of applications for their new man.

In fact, the club was surprised negotiations by Liverpool took as long as they did this week having agreed a £2.5million compensation package for Hodgson over the weekend.

The Whites were holding out even as far back as last Friday that the 62-year-old might be staying – but made no moves for a new manager until they received Hodgson's express desire to quit Craven Cottage.

A club insider reckoned everything would tick over nicely under Lewington and McKinlay until they appointed a new boss.

"It's all about fitness and physical preparation right now," the source said," so it doesn't need the normal tactical input of a manager you get before a game.

"The club doesn't need to rush the decision for a new coach."

However, there was an inkling Liverpool would eventually get their man as far back as the beginning of June when Philippe Senderos was asked whether it made any difference if Hodgson stayed or went.

The Arsenal central defender had previously linked up with the former Fulham boss when Hodgson was coach of the Swiss national team, but was happy to join the Whites regardless of the name on the manager's door.

"Philippe just wanted the chance to play football – and made it plain that's why he was joining Fulham – not because he could play for Roy," said the source

FULHAM CHRONICLE
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Lighthouse

Doesn't look like many players coming in then if we wait a month.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

OldBrownShoe

If that is Fulham's thinking, it is pure madness but exactly what we are used to.  When Roy signed a twelve month rolling contract they would have been aware he could be off in next to no time. They should already know who they want. 

A month? Strewth Roy could be out of a job by then :011:
Johny's in the basement
Mixing up the medicine
I'm on the pavement
Thinking about the government
The man in the trench coat
Badge out, laid off
Says he's got a bad cough
Wants to get it paid off
Look out kid
It's somethin' you did
God knows when
But you're doin' it again
l

AlFayedsChequebook

Quote from: Lighthouse on July 01, 2010, 10:50:17 AM
Doesn't look like many players coming in then if we wait a month.

I am not so sure, it seems to me that Mackintosh is the man who decides who comes and who goes. There may not be lots of players arriving, but it wouldn't suprise me if one or two were brought in.

Ordar

But who is realistically going to want to sign for a club with no manager?

Surely the new man will have his own ideas of where the squad needs improving

Hazey

That would be such bad management of the club if we havent been looking for suitable replacements.  I just can't imagine a professional sports club making such a bad mistake at a business level.

Hopefully we will have sounded a few candidates out and have someone in by the end of next week.  If not I doubt we will get many players in, definitely no marquee players whilst without a manager, as evidenced by the Sidwell opportunity.
At clubs with bigger memberships, their supporters only touch their colours, but at FFC we have spirit. Fulham people can touch that spirit - they are the real Cottagers, they are the club

mrska

That would be rediculous.. a month!! The new manager needs to get his own players in and gel the squad. A month would leave him 2 weeks before the big kick off... Come on Fulham get real.!

Scrumpy

Calm down, calm down, calm down!

'A Club Insider' could be the bloody cleaner, and even then, none of the quotes attributed to said 'insider' mention the period of a month. The Fulham Chronicle have just guessed at a suitably long period to cause a bit of concern and create enough interest for one or two passers-by to buy the paper.

Anyway, I rather fancy going to Griffin Park and singing 'We're Ray Lewies Black and White Army'. It will be like groundhog day.

Anyway, I rather fancy going to Griffin Park and singing 'We're Ray Lewies Black and White Army'. It will be like groundhog day.

:005:
English by birth, Fulham by the grace of God.

WHITEwitch

They've known at MP for over a month that he wouldn't be staying and Macintosh has been very active in finding his replacement.

There is no way we will wait for over a month in a transfer window and the new man will want to know his players a lot longer than a week before the first game.

This is the most ridiculous thing I've read in a month of rubbish reporting.

I'd be pretty sure we are getting Sven (he wouldnt have resigned from Ivory Coast for no reason)and they are just making absolutely sure of Curbishley and Hughes before they confirm it. 

MAF will want a high profile manager after Roy.

Abbotsbury White

Quote from: WHITEwitch on July 01, 2010, 03:09:40 PM
They've known at MP for over a month that he wouldn't be staying and Macintosh has been very active in finding his replacement.

There is no way we will wait for over a month in a transfer window and the new man will want to know his players a lot longer than a week before the first game.

I'd be pretty sure we are getting Sven (he wouldnt have resigned from Ivory Coast for no reason)and they are just making absolutely sure of Curbishley and Hughes before they confirm it. 

I'm pretty sure Sven's position with Ivory Coast was always a short term thing for the world cup only.
Kicking around on a piece of ground in your home town.

blingo

Sven has already stated he has no interest in coming to FFC.
I do agree with WW tho that we wont be waiting a month to appoint our new manager.

Brede Butter Pudding

I think you're wrong there mate. Sven may well come and I may have read this all wrong, but after the Ivory Coast got knocked out Sven said that he needed a 'holiday', and only yesterday he stated that he had had NO contact with Fulham regarding the vacancy.

On the other hand, Mark Hughes rejected an extremely lucrative offer from an Asian club last week... I may be hoping, but I'm sure he rejected that for a reason. Maybe the lure of a premiership team was too strong? Also, people on here have beens aying that Hughes has a good past relationship with Mackintosh or something? Fingers crossed, but I'd love it to be Hughes.

scotty

A month, really?!  I know we need to make the right choice but damn that is way too long. Hope its 2 weeks max.

WHITEwitch

Alistair Macintosh worked with both Sven and Mark Hughes at Man City and knows both well.

I hadn't heard that Sven said he had no contact from FFC.

That makes me hopeful it will be Hughes if he has turned down the Asian (wasn't it middle east?) club.

If we get Curbs we will have problems with our ex Hammers so I think it might be unlikely.

RidgeRider

100% agree. Alistair and MAF are WAY too shrewd to allow things to stew for a month.

ron

I can't believe Sven's favourite. He seems to travel the world, securing high profile jobs and then wheelbarrowing away heaps of cash settlement when it doesn't work out. He should only have on his CV;  Current and previous positions ; "Getting hired as a football coach or something".

As for Curbs ?....Nah, not really .....

Come on Hughesie, you didn't go to Asia for the pot of gold...stay here and do a job for us.

LRCN

would deffo take hughes, class at blackburn especially considering the money he had, and made some amazing buys. not the most curteous and his football isn't all on the ground but still a good manager.

WHITEwitch

I see all the bookies this morning have put Sven out in the lead for the job.

I won't be too disappointed in view of his track record at club level, and I trust Macintosh's opinion, but my heart is still with Hughes.

Willard

I doubt that nothing has been happening behind the scenes and if it hasn't then it really is time to worry! Unfortunately, I'm underwhelmed by the names in the frame. I'm still hoping we're going to get someone different and good coming out of left field as happened with Tigana and Hodgson. I have a suspicion that I might be disappointed though.

Vinnieffc

Quote from: WHITEwitch on July 01, 2010, 09:06:56 PM
Alistair Macintosh worked with both Sven and Mark Hughes at Man City and knows both well.

I hadn't heard that Sven said he had no contact from FFC.

That makes me hopeful it will be Hughes if he has turned down the Asian (wasn't it middle east?) club.

If we get Curbs we will have problems with our ex Hammers so I think it might be unlikely.
#

We'll also have issues with our ex Charlton contingent who I understand fell out with Curbs a few years ago..