more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

My last thoughts on Hodgson

Started by CorkedHat, July 01, 2010, 10:51:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CorkedHat

Well that's that – thank the Lord.
It would be churlish to start criticising Roy Hodgson now. He did, after all, take us to heights that we could never have imagined and for that we shall be eternally thankful.
But in all this euphoria about the man's achievement let us not forget that Fulham gave him the platform on which to perform these duties when no other club came within a bull's roar of wanting him.
I just wish to remind everyone the stigma that Hodgson carried with him before Fulham threw him a lifeline.
"Hodgson's second season with Blackburn would prove to be disastrous, both for the club and for his personal reputation within English football. Hodgson spent £20m in the summer of 1998 to strengthen the Rovers side. A succession of poor buys – notably the £7.5 million Kevin Davies—coupled with injuries and dressing room unrest led to a disastrous start to the season. He was sacked in December 1998 with Rovers at the bottom of the league table. His final game was a home defeat to Southampton."
Had not Fulham gave him an opportunity, remembering that he was over 60 years of age when we appointed him, do you honestly believe that Liverpool would have appointed him based on what he did at Blackburn?
Someone said earlier, and it may have been my mate Mr Finn, that Roy has been handed the poisoned chalice and this aptly describes the situation.
If he believes that he will have the freedom at Anfield that he enjoyed at Craven Cottage the man is a fool. He will be under pressure from day one and God help him when things go pear shape as they inevitably will.
Fat Fred also said something the other day which I agree with one hundred percent.
The best football that this club has played in his time was under Macdonald and then Tigana. Before Fred's time we had a team of exciting and dynamic players most of whom would be in Fulham's team of the century namely Macedo, Cohen, Langley, Mullery, Bentley, Lowe, Stevens, Robson, Jezzard, Haynes and Chamberlain.
This club will thrive with or without Hodgson.
Thank you for what you have done but clear off and let's appoint the next manager and start winning matches, as we shall.
Unlike you Roy, it's Fulham till I die.

What we do for others will live on. What we do for ourselves will die with us

OldBrownShoe

Good points CH. (It would be churlish to ask where Graham Leggat is in that oldies team!)

We took Hodgson to the heights, not the other way around.  Hope he enjoys Liverpool whilst he is there.

His record shows that he doesn't stay at any club for very long and in a year or two he will probably be at Cowdenbeath.

For us? Onwards and upwards!
Johny's in the basement
Mixing up the medicine
I'm on the pavement
Thinking about the government
The man in the trench coat
Badge out, laid off
Says he's got a bad cough
Wants to get it paid off
Look out kid
It's somethin' you did
God knows when
But you're doin' it again
l

CorkedHat

Quote from: OldBrownShoe on July 01, 2010, 11:13:44 AM
Good points CH. (It would be churlish to ask where Graham Leggat is in that oldies team!)

We took Hodgson to the heights, not the other way around.  Hope he enjoys Liverpool whilst he is there.

His record shows that he doesn't stay at any club for very long and in a year or two he will probably be at Cowdenbeath.

For us? Onwards and upwards!

I swithered between Leggat and Stevens, OBS. On Face Book I have listed Graham as my third most favourite player of all time (behind Haynes and Greaves) but as a kid learning the game, Arthur Stevens gave up his time to teach us the rudiments of the game (in his own time and for no reward as such) and I felt honour bound to include him. Perhaps Leggat could replace Stevens at half time!

jarv

I was thinking just the same thing. Rh was nowhere when Fulham appointed him, he was rescued from enforced retirement. So much for loyalty in football. (That is my only and last comment about Roy) Very disappointing. Let's hope there are not too many negative posts when the season gets going if we get off to a poor start, whoever the new man is.

cebu

Quote from: jarv on July 01, 2010, 01:26:12 PM
I was thinking just the same thing. Rh was nowhere when Fulham appointed him, he was rescued from enforced retirement. So much for loyalty in football. (That is my only and last comment about Roy) Very disappointing. Let's hope there are not too many negative posts when the season gets going if we get off to a poor start, whoever the new man is.
When Roy came to Fulham, he turned down a senior post at Inter Milan, so it's not like he didn't have other options.

RidgeRider

Nicely stated CH and agree with the other points as well. We did give him this chance, and he took it and ran with it, and proved his worth and deserves to get his dream shot at managing a big English club. Only time will tell if it will be the right move for him, but he said he had one more challenge in him left, and I think we have all agreed Liverpool is a HUGE challenge. I for one, think he will pull this off through the sure force of his will and his ability to communicate with the players, management and the press. I will miss him.

CorkedHat

Quote from: cebu on July 01, 2010, 04:28:28 PM
When Roy came to Fulham, he turned down a senior post at Inter Milan, so it's not like he didn't have other options.

You have that on good authority do you?  :007: :007: :007: :007: :007:

LRCN

at the end of the day we took a punt on roy and he paid us back much more than we could hav ehoped, we don't owe him anything just as he doesn't owe us anything.

Quote from: CorkedHat on July 02, 2010, 02:35:51 AM

very widely reported and there were quotes from roy himself.

Bradstow

Very well said Corked Hat. 17 clubs in 35 years says it all really. And well done Mo for blocking Hodgson from nicking our players - after all it was they who did the job!
Don't speak wisdom into the ears of fools.

CorkedHat

Quote from: Lork on July 02, 2010, 02:47:04 AM
at the end of the day we took a punt on roy and he paid us back much more than we could hav ehoped, we don't owe him anything just as he doesn't owe us anything.

Quote from: CorkedHat on July 02, 2010, 02:35:51 AM

very widely reported and there were quotes from roy himself.

Sorry Lorkster at no time was he offered the job of Manager of Inter Milan. A Senior Position could mean anything and as I understand it, it was an admin job at best.