watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Greening Permanent - Confirmed

Started by Lighthouse, July 01, 2010, 04:26:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lighthouse

Another Roy error. But confirmed.Greening is Permanent as 30/06/10.

Two year contract
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

LBNo11

...still don't 'get' what Greening brings to Fulham, at best to me he was a basic squad player, but at a reported £4M and 'Hubcaps' Hodgson not been able to get the best out of him he is a very expensive squad player...
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

Edwatch_Winston_Malone

OK that is rock bottom

Surely the only way is up now...

RidgeRider

To be fair, Greening played in a lot of matches that we won. He didn't have the attacking DNA that Murphy does, but he did well in holding position and for 4M, maybe a overpriced but lets see how he does this year before we write him off. Remember Gera, Baird, Zamora, Etuhu, etc......?

JBH

OK what did Greening do wrong last season?

Mr Fulham

Greening had only one year left at WBA, no way he'd cost 4M. I think that has to be roundabout 1M. This is ok.

beijing ben

I think that he did okay on occasions but if we start the season with Greening as our first choice i will be extremely worried.

Edwatch_Winston_Malone

Quote from: JBH on July 01, 2010, 05:01:46 PM

He didn't pass the ball forward...

LBNo11

...apart from not passing the ball forward, he collected too many cards with rash challenges. I hope your are right about the £1M Mr Fulham, but Roy seemed very keen to get him, and WBA equally keen to keep him, their chairman spouting about what he is worth. But to me a good championship player; maybe we should keep him a while then - hmmm...
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

TonyGilroy

My bet is that in a looser system we'll get more out of Greening. He was mostly an attacking midfielder at West Brom.

In any event he's neither the problem or the solution. A decent squad player.

SuffolkWhite

Different Managers bring out different things in different players, the next Manager may well be able to do this with Greening?
Guy goes into the doctor's.
"Doc, I've got a cricket ball stuck up my backside
"How's that?"
"Don't you start"

finnster01

I hope that was for a pack of fags and 10 track suits and certainly not 4 million.
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

bigalffc

Instead of seeing the rug being pulled from under us we can learn to dance on a shifting carpet - Thomas Crum

richardhkirkando

Not much.  And that, IMO, has a lot more value than people realise.  He didn't pass the ball forward, but if he did, he'd still be at Man Utd. 

He does foul a lot, but not really more than most central midfielders (especially defensive ones).  I would like to see him *get* fouled more, though.

ron

Greening the yellow card magnet.

Rupert

Can I ask that we refrain from making Greening the scapegoat for Roy Hodgson going to Liverpool?
He did not set his own transfer fee, he did not demand that Fulham should buy him, he is a solid enough player who seems to know his own limitations and appears to give honest service.
We've had plenty in the past, the not too distant past, who could not claim as much.
Any fool can criticise, condemn and complain, and most fools do.

richie17

At WBA in the Premiership he created 60 odd shots on goal or something; next season for us it was about 5.  Now if that's not a player with a different role I don't know what is.   Think he will surprise next year.

OldBrownShoe

A mistake or could he be yet another player whom many scoffed at after signing or during their first season with us yet went on to make a significant contribution to the team effort? Zamora, Pantsil, Etuhu, Baird, Zola are just a few in recent times. Even legends like Allan Clarke and Gordon Davies didn't make an immediate impact.  Let's give the bloke a chance this season and it always help when players are played in their best position.  He might not be my favourite player but as he seems to have done ok at his previous clubs I am prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt for the time being at least.
Johny's in the basement
Mixing up the medicine
I'm on the pavement
Thinking about the government
The man in the trench coat
Badge out, laid off
Says he's got a bad cough
Wants to get it paid off
Look out kid
It's somethin' you did
God knows when
But you're doin' it again
l

NorthernWhite

Unfortunately he was a lot more than 1 million. We had a 4 million offer turned down and then they relented and he joined on loan which was basically a permanent deal at the time. WBA do it that was to roll the fee into the following tax year and did it with Curtis Davies to Villa and Robinson to Bolton.

Not a bad squad player but too much for an average 30 year old in the last year of his contract.

WhiteJC

Quote from: Mr Fulham on July 01, 2010, 05:14:59 PM
Greening had only one year left at WBA, no way he'd cost 4M. I think that has to be roundabout 1M. This is ok.

according to this its a lot more than 1M...

http://www.birminghammail.net/birmingham-sport/west-bromwich-albion-fc/west-bromwich-albion-fc-news/2010/07/02/west-brom-won-t-get-windfall-from-new-jonathan-greening-deal-97319-26772616/?
West Brom won't get windfall from new Jonathan Greening deal

One player definitely not coming back to Albion is former skipper Jonathan Greening who has signed a two-year contract at Fulham after a season-long loan at Craven Cottage.

The midfielder became an important part of the London club's squad during the 2009/10 campaign, which saw Fulham reach the Europa League final.

The Cottagers have now confirmed the agreement for the 31-year-old, on the day that former boss Roy Hodgson was unveiled as the new manager of Liverpool.

Greening did have one year remaining on his contract at Albion and has now signed a two year deal at Fulham.

His move last summer was a binding loan agreement which turned into a £5.5 million permanent transfer with no option of a return - identical in essence to that which saw Tomasz Kuszczak move to Manchester United and Paul Robinson to Bolton.

But anyone hoping for a cash windfall to drop into Robert Di Matteo's coffers will be disappointed as Albion revealed some time back that the money had already been accounted for.