watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Brighton pubs

Started by Shredhead, November 23, 2014, 11:29:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shredhead

Some tips about where you might want to imbibe ...and places to avoid...next Sat.
The Amex: the club encourage people to arrive early and leave late because the trains from Brighton to Falmer get very crowded. Normally there's Harvey's (local) ale and one from the away teams area - maybe Fullers.
The Swan in Falmer village: nearest to the Amex but not recommended because they may not let away fans in.
Around Brighton station: there are loads of great backstreet locals in the North Laine area serving good beer. Avoid Grand Central and Railway Bell outside the station.
Some gems include the:
Evening Star in Surrey St - the original home of Dark Star, fantastic for real ale.
Lord Nelson in Trafalgar St - Harvey's pub where I'll probably be
Battle of Trafalgar in Guildford Rd - up hill next to Grand Central
Great Eastern in Trafalgar St
Basketmakers in Gloucester Road - Fullers pub used by the 'Fulham in Brighton' group
Eagle - opposite Basketmakers
Eddy - upper Gloucester Rd.
All these will be busy.
Some more ideas:http://www.brightoncamra.org.uk/Pubguide%20p1.html (also includes guide to Lewes)
http://www.brightoncamra.org.uk/Pubguide%20p1.html

The official away pub is the Brighthelm - a Wetherspoons in West St. Come out the station and head down towards the sea and its on the right. 082.gif 049:gif

Some may go to Lewes which is stuffed with good pubs and is the home to the Harvey's brewery. My favourites are the Lewes Arms and the Snowdrop (quite a way from the station).

There's no 'history' (as far as I know) between the 2 clubs' fans so let's not start any, please?
Also occasionally on Twitter @shredheadFFC

HillingdonFFC

Thanks very much for that. Six of us going down for the weekend, was wondering what the matchday crack was regarding recommended pubs.
See we've been given an extra allocation of tickets too, by my reckoning thats getting on for 3000 now.

Wingnut

What is the bus service from Brighton to the Amex like? I see that bus fare is covered by the cost of the match ticket.
Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Southcoastffc

Quote from: Wingnut on November 23, 2014, 03:42:08 PM
What is the bus service from Brighton to the Amex like? I see that bus fare is covered by the cost of the match ticket.
All is spelled out here:         http://www.buses.co.uk/travel/football.aspx

but specifically:

Route 23 provides a convenient link for people living in Whitehawk and Kemp Town (from Whitehawk just catch a 1 or 1A down to Eastern Road).

Route 25 for people in the city centre and central Hove runs direct to the Stadium every few minutes.

Routes 28/29 for people from Lewes and north as far as Crowborough, buses stop at Falmer Station.

049:gif 049:gif 049:gif
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

Lewes White

Fulham Boy now living in Lewes, yes many great pubs in Lewes, also good watering holes Brewers Arms top of High Street, Rights of Man, Harvey's pub right in centre of town and also the Black Horse up towards prison, Maybe do a pub crawl of all 3. All pubs are on the Bus route to he Amex and run maybe 4 an hour. maybe see you in Lewes!!!!

spikey norman

Quote from: Wingnut on November 23, 2014, 03:42:08 PM
Or you could get the train from Brighton Station.
Have been a few times and never bought a ticket (on the advice of a Brighton fan) and never been asked to show one.Get off at Falmer Station then very short walk to the Amex.
Oh and great pub recommendations by Shreadhead!

HillingdonFFC

Quote from: Shredhead on November 23, 2014, 11:29:15 AM
Some tips about where you might want to imbibe ...and places to avoid...next Sat.
The Amex: the club encourage people to arrive early and leave late because the trains from Brighton to Falmer get very crowded. Normally there's Harvey's (local) ale and one from the away teams area - maybe Fullers.
The Swan in Falmer village: nearest to the Amex but not recommended because they may not let away fans in.
Around Brighton station: there are loads of great backstreet locals in the North Laine area serving good beer. Avoid Grand Central and Railway Bell outside the station.
Some gems include the:
Evening Star in Surrey St - the original home of Dark Star, fantastic for real ale.
Basketmakers in Gloucester Road - Fullers pub used by the 'Fulham in Brighton' group
All these will be busy.
Some more ideas:http://www.brightoncamra.org.uk/Pubguide%20p1.html (also includes guide to Lewes)

The official away pub is the Brighthelm - a Wetherspoons in West St. Come out the station and head down towards the sea and its on the right. 082.gif 049:gif

Some may go to Lewes which is stuffed with good pubs and is the home to the Harvey's brewery. My favourites are the Lewes Arms and the Snowdrop (quite a way from the station).

There's no 'history' (as far as I know) between the 2 clubs' fans so let's not start any, please?

Quite a bit of "history" mate. Remember it kicking off in the park across the road from the Goldstone one year.Another year Brighton came looking for it down the Fulham Palace Rd not to mention serious bother at a pub in Hove last time we played there. In fact I reckon I've witnessed(not participated in) more trouble with Brighton than any other club over the years

SP

Quote from: HillingdonFFC on November 23, 2014, 06:30:28 PM
Some gems include the:
All these will be busy.

Quite a bit of "history" mate. Remember it kicking off in the park across the road from the Goldstone one year.Another year Brighton came looking for it down the Fulham Palace Rd not to mention serious bother at a pub in Hove last time we played there. In fact I reckon I've witnessed(not participated in) more trouble with Brighton than any other club over the years

Funny how people can have a completely different experience, the only trouble I've ever seen against BHA was FFC fans fighting each other in the old cramped away end.  I do remember watching a veterans rugby match in the park & having a kick about.

Dodger53

those were the days ....We left the Black Horse in Richmond at closing time with 2 crates of Double Diamond in the boot and made an over night trip to the Goldstone, missed the start because we were so tired! Live in Steyning W. Sussex now (as do quite a few Fulham fans) Brewers Arms in Lewis is a proper pub! My wife and I will go via Brickmakers in Brighton. Certainly good advice to arrive early and you will leave late!! With expected crowd allow 1 to 2 hours after the game to get away (unless you leave early). PS This is a family match - my brother in law is a Seagulls home and away fanatic and will be sitting with my sister, a Fulham Fan. I know many local Fulham fans will be in home areas including the family stand. COYWs

MJG

I always associate trouble with Brighton. I remember one particular game at their old ground in mid 90's. Was like a war zone getting back to the station,  almost hand to hand through the streets.

HillingdonFFC

Quote from: SP on November 23, 2014, 06:34:41 PM
Quote from: HillingdonFFC on November 23, 2014, 06:30:28 PM
Some gems include the:
All these will be busy.

Funny how people can have a completely different experience, the only trouble I've ever seen against BHA was FFC fans fighting each other in the old cramped away end.  I do remember watching a veterans rugby match in the park & having a kick about.

I remember Fulham fans fighting each other there too in 1984/5 season. Some people were slagging off Gordon Davies for joining the filth so the others started singing Ivor Ivor then they just piled into each other.Went with a Chelsea fan who found it highly amusing

SP

Quote from: MJG on November 23, 2014, 07:29:04 PM
I always associate trouble with Brighton. I remember one particular game at their old ground in mid 90's. Was like a war zone getting back to the station,  almost hand to hand through the streets.

Always used to drive so missed all that thankfully.  You could park within 10 minutes walk & for free of course.  One evening game in the days before speed cameras we got back to London in about 45 minutes which was going some.

hovewhite

Area as a whole has some great boozers hove stand out pub the blind busker great beer and friendly staff will be in the brighthelme before the game.

Shredhead

I always associate trouble with Brighton. I remember one particular game at their old ground in mid 90's. Was like a war zone getting back to the station,  almost hand to hand through the streets.
Come to think of it, I did hear of trouble at the station after this. I only got shouted at as I cycled past some Brighton fans. Anyway, that was 20 years ago. No excuse for it now.
Also occasionally on Twitter @shredheadFFC

Chesh

Quote from: Shredhead on November 23, 2014, 11:05:44 PM
Come to think of it, I did hear of trouble at the station after this. I only got shouted at as I cycled past some Brighton fans. Anyway, that was 20 years ago. No excuse for it now.

I remember that our small group were approached by some Brighton lads who took offence to our Chelsea mate (who was being a bit lairy to be fair), and invited us outside the station (in full view of the local coppers?)where no doubt the rest of them were waiting. Needless to say, we preferred to stay on the concourse and reminded our mate that he wasn't with the 'Chels' now!

I also remember being in the Old Suffolk Punch after a home game when some of them turned up after the game looking for it, and then swiftly wished they hadn't (round about the same time)!

To be honest though, Brighton used to mix it with most teams that went down there, but I reckon the Amex will be less lively.  :022:
Made in Hammersmith (1968)

Southdowns White

Some great pubs in and around Brighton especially if you get away from the station area and the tourist pubs clubs near the front, good food in the North Laines area.

shnlwswlkr

The Brighthelm is an awful, awful pub.
Twitter - @shnlwswlkr

spikey norman

Couple of other pubs worth mentioning are the Earth & Stars in Windsor Street just 5  minutes from the station on the left  walking down towards the sea.Serves organic beer and good food.
The other is the Princess Victoria in Upper North Road near town centre which sells a wide range of draught & bottled craft beer though some are pricey.

DonLogan

Last time we were down there in 96 we ended up in The Bulldog on St James Street.  That's a decent one.

The Camelford Arms and Marine Tavern are good too.  None of these are too tourist-y, just good old fashioned boozers.  Proper pubs, I'd call them.

spikey norman

Quote from: DonLogan on November 24, 2014, 12:56:48 PM
Last time we were down there in 96 we ended up in The Bulldog on St James Street.  That's a decent one.

The Camelford Arms and Marine Tavern are good too.  None of these are too tourist-y, just good old fashioned boozers.  Proper pubs, I'd call them.
St.James's Street area is great for pubs and a good crawl.There are about 12 within 10 minutes of each other and as you say majority have kept their traditional look.A personal favourite is the Queens Head in Steine Street and a great venue for comedy and music events.