watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR Cat advice please

Started by Shredhead, November 27, 2014, 10:26:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berserker

They may like milk but it's not very good for them. The orange cat that adopted me eats almost anything. Think he was left out for days on end before and got used to scavenging
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

andyk

Quote from: Berserker on November 28, 2014, 08:58:01 PM
They may like milk but it's not very good for them. The orange cat that adopted me eats almost anything. Think he was left out for days on end before and got used to scavenging

That's my experience too, once left an apple strudel out on the kitchen table, left the house for a couple of hours and found it had been devoured by the strange cat we got from the local shelter.

Shredhead

When my wife was a girl she had a cat that was fed the leftover curry.
Jack has got obsessed with carrying a carrier bag around with some hand-me-down clothes in it. They came from a teenage daughter of a friend and I think its the perfume on them. Bizarre.
Also occasionally on Twitter @shredheadFFC

Berserker

Yes I think cats remember smells. A few months ago I had a elderly lady with Dementia round for tea and the cats wanted to sit on her and wouldn't leave her alone. I couldn't make this out as my cats don't usually do this to people thet don't know well. Then I worked out she is the first elderly lady I have had in my house since my mum died over a year ago, and my mum used to come to tea once a week. I think the elderly lady reminded my cats of my mum, thats why they were so friendly to her..
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

Apprentice to the Maestro

Quote from: Beamer on November 28, 2014, 01:32:15 PM
Be careful of over-using dry foods. Apart from the dietary ones (Hills etc) they tend to contain a lot of sugar which is used to bind the pellets. Our cat developed diabetes as he got older and the vet told us that since the introduction of dried foods the increase in cat diabetes has been massive. Mind you he still lived to be 17 and his brother 19 before they called it a day. It seems that the perfect food for a cat is a mouse as it contains everything a cat needs to thrive - though I am not advocating buying them for them as I don't want the mouse protection league knocking on my door.
TonyG is spot on though cats wont do anything they don't want to. As the old saying goes 'you don't own a cat, you are simply the person it has chosen to live with' and that's what makes them great.  

The vets who looked after the cat that adopted us recommended the Hills dry food. It appears expensive at first but you can get it in huge sacks for better value. It also seems to satisfy them rather more than many tinned foods so you don't use quite as much as you might expect.

They said that many tinned foods also caused problems and our cat had to have all his teeth removed because they had become badly infected before he came to us.

He coped well despite the loss of his teeth living to probably 21 and became a bit of a goumet liking something fishy particularly squid or gamey like pheasant if it was available. Once over Christmas he came home with a whole uncooked turkey neck that he had somehow acquired so we cooked it for him.