more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Saturday Fulham Stuff (29/11/14)...

Started by WhiteJC, November 28, 2014, 07:21:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Seko Fofana joins Fulham on loan

Manchester City youngster Seko Fofana has joined Fulham on loan.

The 19-year-old central midfielder will move to the Championship club until the end of January 2015.

Fofana has been a commanding presence in Patrick Vieira's U21 side during his time with the Blues, and has two goals in seven U21 league games this season.

Another one to add to the loan watch.

Fulham have ten league games between now and the end of January and will also be involved in the FA Cup (which you'd imagine City will allow him to play in) so although it's a short loan spell it should provide Fofana with plenty of opportunity.

If he impresses too, you'd have to think City would be amenable to an extension to the loan.

http://bitterandblue.sbnation.com/2014/11/27/7300543/seko-fofana-joins-fulham-on-loan

WhiteJC

Smith heads to Bristol City

League One leaders Bristol City have bolstered their attacking options with the loan signing of Matt Smith from Fulham.

The 25-year-old has struggled to secure a regular first-team place at Craven Cottage since joining the club from Leeds on transfer deadline day in the summer.

Smith, formerly of Oldham, will stay with the Robins until January 25 and could make his debut in City's clash with Peterborough on Friday night.

Manager Steve Cotterill told the club's official website: "I've been looking for another striker able to take the weight off Aaron Wilbraham.

"We can't expect Aaron to play every game, week in, week out, especially with our progress in the cup competitions and subsequent midweek matches.

"We're pleased to have secured Matt's services until the end of January. He's a good lad, a powerful forward and someone who can share the load up front."

Smith's arrival at Ashton Gate has seen City striker Wes Burns head to Oxford on loan until the end of the season.

Cotterill added: "With another forward coming in, we've been able to let Wes go out on loan.

"He hasn't played the number of games this season that he enjoyed last year. This loan gives him the opportunity of regular game time.

"We have a 24-hour recall clause, which we're not looking to use, but it gives us that security."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11681/9581916?

WhiteJC

Fulham stopper hails 'absolutely amazing' Brighton counterpart but eyes bragging rights

Marcus Bettinelli is looking forward to locking horns with former Fulham team-mate David Stockdale when the Whites travel to Brighton on Saturday.

The Albion stopper surprisingly left Craven Cottage in the summer after he established himself ahead of Maarten Stekelenburg as the west Londoners were relegated from the Premier League.

And Bettinelli was full of praise for his Brighton counterpart and revealed that the 29-year-old used to watch him during his loan spell at Dartford.

"I've been looking forward to that," he said. "I've known Stocko for many years. I'm looking forward to playing against him.

"I'll enjoy nothing more than coming out with three points. It'll be great to see Stocko and play against him but the most important things is three points.

He added: "Stocko has been a huge help to me. I remember at Dartford, he used to come and watch me and Martin Brennan.

"Stocko has been there for me. I can talk to him about anything. We've been roomies together.

"He's an absolutely amazing man. Great family, great work ethic, great goalkeeper. I'm looking forward to playing him against week."

But that won't stop Bettinelli going for the win and he will have been speaking to Stockdale ahead of the contest.

"I speak to him on a regular basis," he added. "We're really good friends. Hopefully we'll be playing each other on Saturday."

http://www.london24.com/sport/football/clubs/fulham/fulham_stopper_hails_absolutely_amazing_brighton_counterpart_but_eyes_bragging_rights_1_3862119

WhiteJC

Passley Wants To Prove Himself

On-loan Fulham defender looking to shine

New loan signing Josh Passley is determined to prove to both Shrewsbury Town and his parent club Fulham that he is capable of competing  at Football League level.

The 20-year-old defender completed a youth loan move to the Greenhous Meadow on Thursday which will run until January 5.

Passley arrives from the Championship side having progressed through the youth ranks at Craven Cottage and being a regular in the under-21s development side.

And the Chelsea-born full back wants to show just how good he is during his time at Town.

"I want to show Shrewsbury and Fulham I am a good player and deserve to play in these leagues," said Passley.

"I would like to get a good run of games, a good run of results and hopefully play well.

"I'm an attacking player, powerful and quick, and I like to get down the line a lot.

"It's been hectic the last few days up and down sorting everything else and trying to get everything packed and ready for the week ahead.

"I have moved into a hotel which will probably last for the next month or so.

"I heard the move on Tuesday when the manager rang me and said he was interested in me coming down and it went from there."

Passley trained with the Town squad on Thursday morning and was pleased with how his first session went.

He will be hoping to follow-up the impressive performance by fellow Fulham man Jack Grimmer who returned back the the London side after a loan spell at Town.

"It has gone really well, there is a great bunch of lads in there and the training session went really well," he said.

"I joined Fulham at 10 years old and have been at the club for 10 years. I came through the ranks and made a few appearances in the first team.

"I have had Kit (Symons) as manager for the under-18 and under-21, and he says if I work hard and play well I will get my chance."

Passley will wear the number 23 shirt during his time with Town.

Read more at http://www.shrewsburytown.com/news/article/josh-passley-shrewsbury-town-fulham-2109317.aspx#FXVjr3lRRpMhWWk1.99

WhiteJC

Former Fulham ace lined up for Roma switch

Fulham wonder-goal hero Pajtim Kasami is a target for Serie A side Roma.

The former Fulham midfielder scored one of the greatest goals in Premier League history away at Crystal Palace last season but was sold to Olympiakos in the summer after the club was relegated.

Roma director of football Walter Sabatini is a big fan of the Switzerland star from their time at Palermo together, where Kasami played during the 2010-11 season.

The 22-year-old has had a nomadic career to date but enjoyed his most productive campaign in west London, playing 29 Premier League matches and scoring three goals.

Read more at http://talksport.com/football/former-fulham-ace-lined-roma-switch-141128126772#ACUGx3lXm5UHue8L.99

WhiteJC

Next Up: Brighton & Hove Albion

We look ahead to the first meeting between Fulham and Brighton & Hove Albion in some 18 years.

The opposition

The last time the two sides met, they were both in the old Division Three (now League Two) and ended the campaign at opposite ends of the table. The 1996/97 season saw Fulham promoted in second place, while Brighton finished in 23rd position – with just goals scored keeping them above bottom club Hereford Town. If the current rule of goal difference had been in effect then, Brighton would have been relegated to the Conference and Fulham would have gone up as champions.

Since getting promoted in 2001, Brighton have split their time between the second and third tiers, but have now established themselves as a solid Championship side, with a 10th-place finish in 2012 followed up by securing consecutive Play-Off spots, although they failed to make it to Wembley on each occasion.

This season has not proven as productive, so far, with the Seagulls sitting 20th in the table having won just three games all term. Things do appear to have taken a turn for the better, though, as they go into Saturday's meeting with Fulham on the back of a three-game unbeaten run, with draws against Blackburn Rovers and Norwich City following up a 1-0 win at home to Wigan Athletic.

Team news

Brighton have just two injury problems going into the game, with Kemy Agustien and Dale Stephens both ruled out. There is better news regarding Solly March, who could return ahead of schedule.

Inside the camp

Former Fulham goalkeeper David Stockdale is looking forward to coming up against the Whites at the Amex Stadium at the weekend.

The Yorkshireman was a popular character during his six-year stay in South-West London, and he admitted it's a fixture he's relishing.

"It's going to be a brilliant afternoon for me if I'm selected and it will be great to see them come down," he told seagulls.co.uk. "I hope that the fans have a safe journey as well, because they were brilliant to me during my time there.

"I still keep in touch with a number of the lads as they're my friends, not just former teammates. I've sent them a few texts to say watch your backs and we've had a bit of banter." 

Player to watch

Gary Gardner: Currently in his third loan spell away from parent club Aston Villa, Gary Gardner has established himself as a regular in the Brighton midfield since making the temporary switch to the coast at the end of August. The brother of West Bromwich Albion midfielder Craig, the 22-year-old has made 15 appearances in all competitions for the Seagulls and has recently found his shooting boots, notching the winner against Wigan and the opening goal in the 1-1 draw with Blackburn. A central midfielder by trade, he has been capped by England up to Under-21 level and remains highly rated at Villa, a club he's been at since the age of 13.

Marathonbet match odds

Brighton & Hove Albion: 27/25

Draw: 51/20

Fulham: 29/10

The travelling support for this game, along with every away game this season, has been tremendous. It is very much appreciated by Kit and the players and we want you to support the team as loudly as you can, as it really does make a difference.

We would like to point out however, that Fulham Football Club has a zero tolerance policy regarding anti-social behaviour and urge all of our fans to assist us in maintaining the fantastic reputation our supporters have both home and away.

Your cooperation is greatly appreciated.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2014/november/28/next-up-brighton?

WhiteJC

Crewe Alexandra: Former Fulham striker training at Reaseheath

Former loanee Lauri Dalla Valle is currently training with the Alex

STEVE Davis has confirmed that former loanee Lauri Dalle Valle is currently training with the club.

The 23-year-old is without a club at the moment but had a successful loan spell with the Alex back 2013 where he scored five goals in 12 games whilst at Fulham.

Davis said a decision on the Finn's future will be made over the course of the next week or so, but could be signed at any point due to him being without a club.

"Lauri Dalla Valle has come in for a week or two, he is a player that we know well," Davis said.

Read more: http://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/Crewe-Alexandra-Fulham-striker-training/story-24831395-detail/story.html?#ixzz3KOSSCUtb
Follow us: @SentinelStaffs on Twitter | sentinelstaffs on Facebook

WhiteJC

Brighton bow for Bent

Darren Bent will make his Brighton debut against familiar opposition when Fulham visit The Amex.

The former England striker, who spent last season on loan with the Cottagers, has joined Brighton on an initial month-long deal from Aston Villa. Goalkeeper David Stockdale and defender Aaron Hughes will also be facing their former club. Lewis Dunk returns from suspension and Solly March is close to fitness after a back problem but Andrew Crofts (cruciate) and Dale Stephens (ankle) are still missing. Fulham have problems in defence due to injury and suspension. Dan Burn serves a one-match ban after he was booked for the fifth time this season in Friday night's 2-1 defeat at derby rivals Brentford. Sean Kavanagh would be the obvious choice to step in but he has a thigh problem and with Tim Hoogland (pelvis) and Fernando Amorebieta (knee) also injured, boss Kit Symons has recalled young defender Jack Grimmer from his loan spell at Shrewsbury. Striker Adam Taggart is still recovering from a groin injury but Symons has drafted in rookie Manchester City midfielder Seko Fofana on loan.

Read more at: https://www.clubcall.com/brighton-and-hove-albion/brighton-bow-for-bent-1749110.html?

WhiteJC

Brighton keeper David Stockdale has 'nothing to prove' against Fulham

Shot-stopper set to face his former side for the first time tomorrow following August exit

David Stockdale insists he has nothing to prove when he lines up against Fulham tomorrow.

The keeper clocked up 52 appearances during his six-year stay in SW6 before he was sold to Brighton in the summer following relegation from the Premier League.

However, Stockdale says he holds no grudges over his exit and looks back at his time at Craven Cottage with fond memories.

He said: "I only had a year left on my contract and they decided that the money was too good to turn down.

"They have moved on to new horizons and I thank them for everything they did for me. I was there since I was kid and they gave me a chance, so I'll never forget that.

"I don't have anything to prove to anyone. I'm more concerned about what I'm doing here."

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/brighton-keeper-david-stockdale-nothing-8188136?

WhiteJC

Seko: Happy To Be Here

Fulham's latest acquisition Seko Fofana is keen to contribute as much as possible to the Whites cause during his time in SW6.

The Manchester City midfielder arrived on loan on Thursday and will remain with Kit Symons' side until the end of January.

"I'm happy to be here," he told the official website. "It's a pleasure for me to be with a professional team, a professional squad and to be able to train every day with professional players, so I'm happy to be at Fulham.

"I want the team to win as many games as possible and I want to get as much game time as I can. We want to win a lot of games because we want to get promoted to the Premier League."

The 19-year-old France youth international – who is eligible to feature on Saturday at Brighton & Hove Albion – describes himself as "quick with the ball" and says one of his key attributes is his "good shooting accuracy."

And there was a familiar face for Fofana upon arriving at Motspur Park, as he had previously gone head-to-head with Moussa Dembélé in the French junior league when Lorient and Paris Saint-Germain played each other.

Our new recruit sought his compatriot's advice before making the move, and revealed he was told only positive things by the young striker.

"Before I came we spoke together and he told me good things about the Club," Fofana stated. "So that was another motivation to come, and I'm happy."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2014/november/28/seko-happy-to-be-here?

WhiteJC

Brighton v Fulham

SKY BET CHAMPIONSHIP
Venue: Falmer Stadium Date: Saturday 29 November Kick-off: 15:00 GMT
Coverage: Watch highlights on The Football League Show; listen on BBC Radio 5 live and BBC local radio; text commentary on the BBC Sport website

TEAM NEWS

Former England striker Darren Bent will make his Brighton debut after joining on a month long loan from Aston Villa.
Defender Lewis Dunk returns from suspension but Andrew Crofts (knee) and Dale Stephens (ankle) are out.
Fulham defender Dan Burn serves a one-match ban after he was booked for the fifth time this season in last week's 2-1 defeat at derby rivals Brentford.
Defender Jack Grimmer has returned from his loan spell at Shrewsbury, but striker Adam Taggart (groin) is out.
MATCH FACTS

Head-to-Head
•   This is the first meeting since Fulham won 2-0 at Craven Cottage in the old Division Three in November 1996.
•   Fulham are unbeaten in the last six meetings in all competitions, winning four. Brighton's last win was 2-0 at home in the old Division Two in April 1994.
•   Fulham are unbeaten in the last three meetings at Brighton in all competitions, winning two.
Brighton
•   Brighton have won only one of their last 11 games in all competitions. Their only win since 24 September was 1-0 against Wigan at home in the Championship on 4 November.
•   Brighton have lost only one of their last nine home games in all competitions. Their only defeat at the AMEX Stadium since the opening day of the season was 2-1 against Middlesbrough in the league on 18 October.
Fulham
•   Fulham have won only one of their last five games in all competitions. Their only win since 24 October was 3-1 against Huddersfield at home in the Championship on 8 November.
•   Fulham have won only one of their last seven away games. Their only win on the road since August was 2-1 at Birmingham on 27 September.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/30155731

WhiteJC

Albion under threat from Fulham Kit man

David Stockdale has warned that Fulham's Kit man is the biggest obstacle to Albion's hopes of a second win in 15 Championship outings at the Amex tomorrow.

Kit Symons has mastermined a resurgence at Stockdale's old club since replacing Felix Magath as manager at Craven Cottage.

Fulham took just one point from their opening seven games this season under Magath, who failed to rescue them from relegation last term.

Former Welsh international defender Symons, initially promoted temporarily from under-21s boss, steered Fulham out of trouble with four wins in the league, a draw and only two defeats to land the post permanently at the end of last month.

Fulham have maintained their progress since then with draws against Wigan and Blackpool and a victory over Huddersfield before last Friday's last-gasp defeat in a West London derby at Brentford.

Stockdale, who featured regularly under Magath in the top flight last season before falling out of favour in the summer and joining Albion for £1 million, told The Argus: "It happens with managers. It wasn't the right club for him (Magath) and the right players for him but that's what happens. You get judged on results.

"He left, a great man (Symons), a great person, came in and it shows for itself, their results recently.

"The lads know Kit and you can see how they are responding for him.

"I know that he will be wanting to beat us. I know Kit very well. I've spoken to him a couple of times. He said congratulations on the move, wish you hadn't have left!"

Fulham had three managers last season, Martin Jol, Rene Meulensteen and Magath.

Stockdale made 21 Premier League appearances for them, two more than Dutch rival Maarten Stekelenburg who cost nearly £5 million from Roma last summer.

He finished Fulham's ill-fated campaign in charge of the gloves but mysteriously dropped out of contention through pre-season before signing a three-year deal with Albion.

Stockdale said of his Fulham career: "I enjoyed mostly every minute of it. There were disappointing times.

"I think the best part of my football actually came in the relegation season, which is unfortunate.

"I never really got to say thankyou to the fans, which I've said in a few interviews. Hopefully I can give them a little clap on Saturday to say thankyou - and take three points off them at the same time."

http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/11632527._/?

WhiteJC

Manchester City Youngster Delights at Fulham Loan Switch

Manchester City youngster Seko Fofana has expressed his delight at having got the opportunity to join Championship side Fulham on loan.

The 19-year-old will be at Craven Cottage until 31st January and could make his debut for the club in their Championship match against Brighton & Hove Albion on Saturday.

The youngster joined the Citizens from Lorient last year and has managed seven Under-21 Premier League appearances for the Sky Blues this season, having scored two goals.

"I'm happy to be here", Fofana told Fulham's official site.

"It's a pleasure for me to be with a professional team, a professional squad and to be able to train every day with professional players, so I'm happy to be at Fulham.

"I want the team to win as many games as possible and I want to get as much game time as I can.

"We want to win a lot of games because we want to get promoted to the Premier League."

The Frenchman will join his countryman Moussa Dembele, whose advice, he reveals, he took before deciding to join the Cottagers.

"Before I came we spoke together and he told me good things about the club.

"So that was another motivation to come, and I'm happy."

http://www.insidefutbol.com/2014/11/28/manchester-city-youngster-delights-at-fulham-loan-switch/173991/?

WhiteJC

Paul Watson: "Good Times"

The last time Fulham and Brighton & Hove Albion played each other, Paul Watson started at right-back for the Whites. Fast-forward 18 years and he's involved in the fixture again, but this time as a physiotherapist for Brighton.

During his season-and-a-half as a young full-back at Craven Cottage, Watson made an impressive 57 appearances and was a mainstay in the famous 1996/97 side that earned promotion from Division Three, after coming in as one of a number of Micky Adams' new recruits in the summer.

Speaking to fulhamfc.com, Watson recalled: "I was offered a new deal at Gillingham but I didn't see eye to eye with the manager. When I found out about Fulham being interested I was actually on trial at Blackpool.

"My agent spoke to Micky and he basically said 'if you want to sign, come back down tomorrow.' So I jumped on a train, came down and signed. Micky sold it very well and there was never really any doubt once I'd spoken to him.

"That season was fantastic. Apart from my time at Brighton, it was the time I've enjoyed the most in my whole career. Obviously it was Micky's first managerial post – he had a good mix with Alan Cork and the other coaches – and we just went from strength to strength the whole season. It was one of those memorable ones that you'll talk about for years and years and years.

"It's become a bit of cliché now, this team spirit thing, but it genuinely was great – everyone got on. Obviously being successful and winning games always helps that, but everyone gelled straight away.

"A few of us knew each other from other clubs which helped but the whole season was just brilliant, from training during the week to trips to the games on the coach, that was always made enjoyable. The whole thing was just really, really good to be a part of."

The defender departed Fulham in December 1997 – something he was "absolutely gutted" about – and followed his former boss Adams to our local rivals Brentford, the second of four teams at which he'd join up with his mentor.

"I left Fulham to go to Brentford where he was manager," he said. "It was nice to pick up again with Micky but I didn't want to leave Fulham and that's one big regret I've had looking back, that I didn't spend a bit longer there.

"Then he took me to Brighton from Brentford, and then later on when I left Brighton I went to Coventry for six months when he was there as well.

"I've got a lot of respect for him. He's made my career, basically! I'll always have good things to say about him. Wherever he's been he's always been able to get the best out of his players, and he got the best out of me as well."

After joining Brighton in July 1999, Watson went on to make more than 220 appearances for the Seagulls over a highly eventful six-year period.

His time on the coast saw the Albion relegated once but promoted three times, and so it understandably evokes happy memories for the Hastings-born defender.

"We had back-to-back championships from League Two and League One, and then we went up in the Play-Offs one year as well," he explained. "Again, it was one of those times where everything seemed to click.

"We had a good bunch of lads, a few of them I knew from Fulham and Gillingham, and it was another one of those times where we were successful, the team spirit was good, everyone clicked, and it was another really good time. I'm from Sussex anyway so everything kind of panned out quite well."

The club has come some way since Watson first joined as a player in the fourth tier. Now an established Championship side, the infrastructure is a world away from what fans once knew.

"The changes over the last three or four years have been unbelievable," he admitted. "Tony Bloom, the chairman, has come in and built on the success that Dick Knight started and has just taken it to another level.

"The Amex is one of the best new stadiums in the country, if not Europe, and the new training ground that we've just moved into this season is absolutely fantastic. You couldn't want a better place to go into work every day."

After hanging up his boots, Watson undertook a physiotherapy degree and was subsequently taken on at his former club: "It kind of started when I was at Brighton. I had a couple of injuries towards the end of my time here and the physio at the time, Malcolm Stuart, helped me along and pointed me in the right direction.

"I did a couple of courses while I was still playing which helped me get onto my degree when I retired. I never really wanted to be a coach – I know what players are like and I couldn't stand up in front of them and tell them what to do every day for the rest of my life! So being a physio and still being part of football in that surrounding was the next best thing really."

The fact that Saturday's meeting between his former sides is the first since he was donning the number two shirt at Fulham really emphasises how long it's been since they've competed in the same division.

With plenty of affection for both teams, it's a match he's eagerly anticipating.

"It's something I've looked forward to all season," he said. "It was one of the first fixtures I looked out for. Of course we're coming up to the Cottage just after Christmas – I've never been back to a game since I left so that's one that I'm really, really looking forward to doing."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2014/november/28/paul-watson-good-times?

alfie

Quote from: WhiteJC on November 28, 2014, 07:23:50 PM

Smith heads to Bristol City

League One leaders Bristol City have bolstered their attacking options with the loan signing of Matt Smith from Fulham.

The 25-year-old has struggled to secure a regular first-team place at Craven Cottage since joining the club from Leeds on transfer deadline day in the summer.

Smith, formerly of Oldham, will stay with the Robins until January 25 and could make his debut in City's clash with Peterborough on Friday night.

Manager Steve Cotterill told the club's official website: "I've been looking for another striker able to take the weight off Aaron Wilbraham.

"We can't expect Aaron to play every game, week in, week out, especially with our progress in the cup competitions and subsequent midweek matches.

"We're pleased to have secured Matt's services until the end of January. He's a good lad, a powerful forward and someone who can share the load up front."

Smith's arrival at Ashton Gate has seen City striker Wes Burns head to Oxford on loan until the end of the season.

Cotterill added: "With another forward coming in, we've been able to let Wes go out on loan.

"He hasn't played the number of games this season that he enjoyed last year. This loan gives him the opportunity of regular game time.

"We have a 24-hour recall clause, which we're not looking to use, but it gives us that security."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11681/9581916?

We can't expect Aaron to play every game, week in, week out

Hell I wish my boss would say that about me. Is it not his job, what must it have been like in the days when there was a minimum squad and no substitutes.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't