watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Was it worth it? Europa cup success leads to the loss of Roy and best players

Started by Teabag, July 02, 2010, 08:53:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Teabag

The Europa Cup run has directly influenced the move of Roy to Liverpool and almost certainly the loss of several of our best players. I suspect MAF is really pissed off by Roy's move and he may be more cautious funding new players given that he won't trust the new manager in the same way he trusted Roy. A difficult season is looming.

So was the cup run worth it for you?

Chopper

Absolutely. Whatever we all feel about Hodgson he gave us 2 and half seasons of brilliant memories.

It does make me even sadder we didn't win it but I'd not take any of it back for the world.
Sold my soul to the Green Pole

The Equalizer

Quote from: Teabag on July 02, 2010, 08:53:26 AM
The Europa Cup run has directly influenced the move of Roy to Liverpool and almost certainly the loss of several of our best players. I suspect MAF is really pissed off by Roy's move and he may be more cautious funding new players given that he won't trust the new manager in the same way he trusted Roy. A difficult season is looming.

Absolutely. If you look at it like that it's a paradox. You have to think about what you want out of the club. Success wise, is Europa the pinnacle for Fulham, and if we do reach the echelons and glory of European success, what is the cost?

Would you rather we languished in mid-table obscurity and didn't lose our best manager and players? But if we did, would they really be the best manager and players? It's a paradox.
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

Lighthouse

Change is good. Roy was good but we were looking stale as a team. A few years that will have a chapter all to themsleves in the Fulham history. But ultimatley there was always only one way this would end.

Without the Europa Roy would have had a middling team and be asking all the questions we are asking now. What do you do about an old squad. Great times have come. Roy was not perfect but a great defensive tactician. No regrets, no tears goodbye, Don't want him back. As the song goes.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

FFCSteve

Quote from: Lighthouse on July 02, 2010, 10:16:19 AM
Change is good. Roy was good but we were looking stale as a team. A few years that will have a chapter all to themsleves in the Fulham history. But ultimatley there was always only one way this would end.

Without the Europa Roy would have had a middling team and be asking all the questions we are asking now. What do you do about an old squad. Great times have come. Roy was not perfect but a great defensive tactician. No regrets, no tears goodbye, Don't want him back. As the song goes.

Totally agree Lighthouse.

After all we finished in the bottom half of the league as normal. Admittedly we had a lot of games.
But we still can't win away or score alot of goals. We won against top teams, but couldn't beat some of the lower ones. Ultimately a good season, but some frustration as well.

Personally rather than the Europa cup, I would like to see us finish in the top half, hammering lowly teams & winning away.
COYW!!! Bring back Rene! But I do like Slav!

FC Silver Fox

I've decided to get over my "scousers rape'n'pillage of Fulham" phase and try to be more optimistic.

1. If MAF didn't want Roy to leave Fulham, he only had to refuse Liverpool permission to talk to our manager. This shows a certain collusion to the move or, at the very least, being resigned to the theft (whoops! that word just slipped out. Sorry).

2. None of our big name players have left yet. Again, we can do a Wenger/Ferguson and refuse leave to talk to the players under contract to Fulham.

Difficult season looming?    Quite possibly. A lot will depend on how things pan out in the next few weeks in terms of who will be at the helm when we start the new season. The person (he/she) needs to be a strong experienced leader.   Ok, the word 'experienced' does tend to preclude the nomination of a 'she'.

One thing is sure.  Its never boring supporting Fulham Football Club.
Finn and Corked Hat, you are forever part of the family.

Teabag

Some interesting comments. I can't make up my mind. Without the cup success Roy probably wouldn't have been offered the job at Liverpool, MAF would have spent some of his money from the Harrod's sale in this transfer window, and we could have been up there with Everton and Villa, and had a good chance of a domestic cup. Now if the club appoint someone like Curbishley, we could see an exodus of players and we'll be back in the relegation fight year after year.

I think in time I may come to regret the successes of last season.

BestOfBrede

This would appear to be the problem..

We spend big and have a good season = We lose our best players and/or Manager

We don't spend = Bad season, possibly relegation and still could lose our best players and/or Manager

Unfortunately being a 'small' club means we can never win!

ACtually this is really depressing!!! :012:

Burt

It was definitely worth it.

I have been supporting the whites since 1974 and Hamburg was without doubt the best experience as a supporter. Regardless of the result, the journey to get to the final was unbelievable and the stuff dreams are made of. I really don't expect anything like that to happen again within my generation.

jarv

100% definitely worth it. Will live on in memory for never. (After all, for me 1975 still lives on in memory). It was a HUGE success in today's football. Ask Middlesboro if they regret getting to the EUFA final. Never forget, Fulham did it the hard way, many more games than ever before and THAT Juventus game!!!

I said it on a previous post, Fulham is a very, very attractive job right now. Personally, I feel Fulham is up there with the likes of Everton. Not likely to win the league but the challenge is to be consistently top 10. That is achievable now.

Ask yourself, would you rather live in Liverpool to manage Everton (and get your house broken in to every away trip, just kidding) or Putney to manage Fulham. No contest.

NorthernWhite

As the old saying goes "It's better to have loved and lost than to never have loved at all".

ScalleysDad

Quote from: NorthernWhite on July 02, 2010, 01:52:06 PM
As the old saying goes "It's better to have loved and lost than to never have loved at all".

That was in the theme tune form a naff french swashbuckly thing back in the seventies ............ Flashing Blade mon dieu. "As long as we have done our best then no one can do more"

Roys has done his best and can go but he has certainly rippled the still waters somewhat. Liverpool must have had the no England job clause in their approaches right from the start but it has taken until now to get a signature. Was Roy telling a porkie when he said he was very happy to be fulham manager. Was he being a plank when he signed Senderos, a typical Roy player as goodness knows who else can make something of him and will he leave us with the Hamburg memory or a nagging dislike if he comes calling for players and staff.
Obviously Juventus at the Cottage and the Hamburg trip will live long in a grateful memory but was it all about Roy. Would Gera and BZ have come good this season anyway and did'nt we ride our luck just a bit.   

Peabody

Of course The Europa was worth it, in 60 odd years of supporting Fulham that cup run was something I never thought I would see and hopefully we will now appoint someone who can take us further and dare I say, actually win some away games.

FatFreddysCat

Most definately worth it. Now we'll Get Sparkyticus and win a few away games  :54: .

os5889

Quote from: Teabag on July 02, 2010, 08:53:26 AM

You cant take my memories away! It was a true underdog story and worth every groan, whince and sigh that may befall us!

Ichabod Magoo

The journey through the Europa cup was possibly a once in a lifetime memory for Fulham followers.  You will remember it 30 years from now.  How many other similar memories do you have from Fulham's history?  It was a great ride.
If your nose runs and your feet smell, you must have been born upside down. ~ Chudley Rippington III

Steve_orino

Being here in Yank-land and having a job, I didn't get to 'see' as much of the Europa League as I would have liked.  I did follow and support as much as I could, wearing the Fulham shirt when we played. 

I'd have to say it was worth it though - the few games I did see were absolutely incredible - yeah, I saw us score 4 goals agains Juve!

So Roy is gone, thanks for the memories, let's get on with it.  Fulham was here before Roy, Fulham will be here after Roy!  COYWs!
Fulham Supporter - Est. 03/2008
"My aim is to stabilise, sustain, and have the club move forward." Shad Khan 07/2013
@Borino09

Travers Barney

Worth it for getting to know people I'd recognised for thirty five years plus who I'd never spoken to but who shared my passion for Fulham FC.

Worth it for making so many new friends.

Worth it for doing it all in the right way.

Unforgettable as old NKC would say.

We are the whites

We are the whites