watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Old Sod's Army

Started by bog, December 20, 2014, 09:08:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bog

Being one who was fortunate to be there last week Kit has to start with the same 10 outfield players. A settled side we never had under Maggot. Was anyone there back in 1959 at Easter time? Good Friday. Both us and Wednesday 1 and 2 in the old Division 2. They the league leaders, at 3-2 a close game until one Jimmy Hill shrugs off all the barbs from the terraces and scores three times and we win 6-2!! Then on the Monday we drew there. Finished runners up.  55 years ago...Emm

092.gif

Kent Cassandra

Yes I remember that game, I was one of the few who liked our Jim but even I had to laugh when he threw himself at a cross, as he flew through the air his body turned so he had his back to the goal. With great ingenuity he stuck out his bum.
The crowd were in stitches, what you would call a bum goal.
Cornish Cassandra 1996, Don Quixote 2002, Kent Cassandra 2009.

cmg

I still think it's one of the best performances I ever saw from a Fulham side. And it's certainly my favourite ever Fulham line up, the names still trip smoothly from my mouth like a litany - which it sort of is really(MacedoCohenLangleyMulleryBentleyLoweLeggatHillCookHaynesChamberlain).

When you look at it it's such a well balanced side. I doubt that many clubs in the country could put out a 1,2,3 like that (Only we knew how good Cohen was going to be was at that time). The young gun Mullery (17/18) teamed up with the old pros Bentley and Lowe. And a front five with everything from the sublime to the ridiculous.

The great thing about Jimmy Hill was that he never reacted adversely to the stick he got. His enthusiasm and commitment were never in doubt. Eventually, of course, his achievements far exceeded anything he did on the football field. I'll never forget an interview a few years back when the interviewer put to him all the things he had achieved as player representative, manager, director, campaigner, journalist etc., "Yes," he said, "But I would trade it all to be able to get back playing again. That's what I really loved."

The five out of six points we got over that Easter (equivalent 7 out of 9 today) virtually ensured promotion - but we still couldn't finish in front of bloody Sheffield Wednesday.

filham

Those were the days and I agree with all the good things said about Jimmy Hill, OK he may not have been the most talented of our players but he was second to none when it came to enthusiasm.

Jimmy Hill and Tosh on the same pitch that was real light entertainment which we will never see the likes of again, even Best and Marsh could not top it.

bog

Agree with all the comments. Macedo Cohen Langley Mullery Bentley Leggatt and the Maestro are all in best ever line up. Nostalgic I know. What if Bedford Jezzard was still playing or if Roy Dwight had not one to Forest. Great times.

Mind you I was also there when they beat us 1-6 and Mullery put through his own goal in 10seconds!!!!   

092.gif

Fernhurst

Yes Captain, I was there in 1959 (enclosure) and I was there today (Riverside)...... 55 years eh?
Wonderful memories of my feelings as Fulham revied themselves to grab the points.
Today was different, but very satisfying.

Good to see Diddy back on the pitch, Ivan is doing ok and probably more in tune with the young un's
The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

bog

Was the Hammersmith End for me that long gone day Fernhurst. Was not there today, but the future may becoming a little promising aye wot?

092.gif

Fernhurst

We really appear to be playing with freedom Capt, but I fear next wek will be a set back.

We've been through a lot .....The Cup Final team.  The fantastic team that won our promotion to the Premier Division after such a long time . The team that filled our collective chests with such pride that night against Juventus.

However,your favourite team is also mine. What was the magic ingredient????
Maybe it was just the age we were back then.
The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

bog

As you say Fernhurst. What times they were. from yesteryear:- Macedo, Cohen, Langley. Mullery, Bentley, Moore. Leggat, Clarke/Robson, Jezzard, Haynes, Mitten. subs Lowe, Chamberlain, Dwight, Lawler, Barrett, Stevens....

092.gif   

Peabody

Yup' I was there too. Poor old Jim was really going through it, he had gone an age without scoring (I dread to think what our super online coaches would make of it today) and when he scored his first of the hat trick, he really let loose, rather like he did in the Newcastle cup game, when he nearly ran to Hammersmith.

The 6-1 defeat to Wednesday, wasn't JH injured? and they made Mullers captain. Once again, can you imagine the reaction if we had the Internet then.

Also, that was one of my favourite line ups. Stand out was Roy Bentley, who was an England centre forward, Fulham had turned him into a centre half and he was so good that England very nearly picked him as a number 5.

SG

Also remember that the return fixture was live commentary on the wireless, as it was then. Can recall all of us sitting around it listening