watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Since Kit took over

Started by Andy S, December 20, 2014, 11:29:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy S

We are playing as well as any of the top teams. I think the play offs are a distinct possibility

Lighthouse

Until we lose 5-0 again. The point is we are playing well and there is a huge improvement. But we are still a long way from being a top 6 side. Who knows if we keep on improving, it would be a wonderful turnaround. However I think we shouldn't be too critical when we have set backs. That is the danger of thinking we are promotion contenders.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Mokes

If you look at the table since the 18th of September when kit took over we actually are a top 6 side. It's just a matter of climbing the mountain that is the 8 game head start we have the league by not sacking Felix earlier. A top 10 finish would be a huge result for us

JIMMY D

I agree. A top 10 Finnish this season would be fantastic result.

ron

Agree, and have said elsewhere that having the playoffs in the back of your mind is a good way of ruining what is good this season with over-anxiety and then disappointment if we don't get there.

I attended the game today, and had an afternoon of sheer delight, unencumbered by wondering if we are good enough, etc. etc.

There's that old saying again; "Don't spoil today's sunshine with tomorrow's clouds" ...and who knows, it may even be sunny all the way to the PL!

res

Quote from: Andy S on December 20, 2014, 11:29:12 PM
We are playing as well as any of the top teams. I think the play offs are a distinct possibility

In the last 14 games we've got 27 points and scored 29 goals. That run starts after Kit's first game in charge. The change since the 1 point from the first 8 games is fantastic....style of play/resilience/confidence/team spirit. I suspect we won't get the results against the top 6 (in the above run we've lost to Watford/Middlesborough/Brentford), but I expect we'll be just outside the play offs. Next season....as long as we keep most of the squad, promotion is very much on the cards

MJG

Quick question... If Kit had won his first game would people ignore it when doing stats on his games?

res

Quote from: MJG on December 21, 2014, 09:03:46 AM
Quick question... If Kit had won his first game would people ignore it when doing stats on his games?

Fair comment if you're referring to my 27 points and 29 goals in the last 14 games' post. But I was highlighting the strength of our current form/play and did say it was after Kit's first game. And to answer your question...I would be including the result if we had won, so when reviewing Kit's managerial performance in terms of results, that first defeat (1-0 at home to Blackburn) would have to be included.

snarks

Actually had hutch not been sent off against Blackburn I think kit would have won a point in that game at least. However I respect that's a big if. Also how mill wall won at the cottage is one of the great mysteries from the start of the season. The worst team to have taken all 3 points I have seen this season.

Still fulham are where they are, and if yesterday shows anything, it how difficult getting to the playoff places will be, despite 2 wins in a row, still 10 points off a playoff place

MoussasGawn

I looked at the table last night and looked at our results against the top half of the division ...

Bournemouth - to play
Ipswich - lost
Brentford - lost
Middlesboro - lost
Derby - lost (twice and comprehensively)
Watford - lost (comprehensively)
Norwich - Won
Blackburn - lost
Forest - lost (not quite comprehensively)
Wolves - lost
Cardiff - drew
Charlton - won (comprehensively) ...

We have done fantastically since Kit took over but we need to get decent results consistently against this lot and learn from some shockingly frail defending.

However, upwards and onwards, I love supporting this club and the future is certainly feeling brighter ...
30 years through thin and thin, our time is now. Forget Torquay at your peril ...

filham

Kit's results have resulted in  magnificent turn around and we have climbed up the lower half of the table, climbing up the top half of the table will be extremely difficult and really it would be silly of us to even think of a play off place this season. For a while now we have been nine or ten points off a play off place so while we are pulling away from the bottom we are not gaining on the top boys.

To gain ten points on the likes of Brentford or Watford over 23 matches would require them to suffer a poor run of form and for us to improve even further.

This season a top half league place coupled with development of young players and the establishment of a good solid team ready to face next season will be a great achievement by Kit and we should settle for that.

hovewhite

Id settle for top half,play offs a bonus.

bog

What we lack at the moment is experience. Just good to see a young side again.

092.gif

Fernhurst

Its a blessed reliefe to see such a young side Capt.

Wouldn't it be great if they all had our Maestros mindset.

Ah well.......we can dream.

The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

Logicalman

Quote from: MoussasGawn on December 21, 2014, 10:38:19 AM
I looked at the table last night and looked at our results against the top half of the division ...

Bournemouth - to play
Ipswich - lost
Brentford - lost
Middlesboro - lost
Derby - lost (twice and comprehensively)
Watford - lost (comprehensively)
Norwich - Won
Blackburn - lost
Forest - lost (not quite comprehensively)
Wolves - lost
Cardiff - drew
Charlton - won (comprehensively) ...

We have done fantastically since Kit took over but we need to get decent results consistently against this lot and learn from some shockingly frail defending.

However, upwards and onwards, I love supporting this club and the future is certainly feeling brighter ...

Apologies, good post but with respect, the title of the thread refers to Since Kit took over, though the results stated are not just that, just putting those results into perspective:

Bournemouth - to play
Ipswich - lost (Felix)
Brentford - lost (Felix) - won (Felix)
Middlesboro - lost (Kit)
Derby - lost  (Felix) - lost (Kit)
Watford - lost (Kit)
Norwich - Won (Kit)
Blackburn - lost (Kit)
Forest - lost  (Felix)
Wolves - lost (Felix)
Cardiff - drew (Felix)
Charlton - won (Kit)

I guess even with the update its not conclusive until we face them all again with Kit in charge.  :dft011:

Onwards and upwards   049:gif
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

FPT

It is a good point, we do lose a lot of games to those at the top of the Division, however, my issue is, whenever we win, the team in 6th place seems to win too and we actually get no closer to that part of the table. We just need to continue playing well, and winning games, and see what happens.

ron

Quote from: FPT on December 21, 2014, 12:49:22 PM
It is a good point, we do lose a lot of games to those at the top of the Division, however, my issue is, whenever we win, the team in 6th place seems to win too and we actually get no closer to that part of the table. We just need to continue playing well, and winning games, and see what happens.

...that's the problem with teams at the top....they seem to keep on winning ...!!!

Logicalman

You're not wrong there at all, we sometimes seem to be pushing uphill every time we win. I just hold the hope that as the season continues our turn of fortune to more winning ways will provide the benefits to us and we will - at least - keep an upper mid-table position. Getting to the play-offs might be a big ask, but its reachable, with a little bit of luck going our way regarding other teams' results, but we can only do what we can do, and I remain quite positive overall.
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

MJG

I think it may be on twitter I said this but after 15 games we were 11 pts behind 6th place.
Now 7 games later we are 10 pts behind, 3 games ago we were 9 behind.

We have been playing well and getting results but hardly making any dent in the gap.

ffc73

Quote from: res on December 21, 2014, 09:00:22 AM
Quote from: Andy S on December 20, 2014, 11:29:12 PM

I suspect we won't get the results against the top 6 (in the above run we've lost to Watford/Middlesborough/Brentford), but I expect we'll be just outside the play offs. Next season....as long as we keep most of the squad, promotion is very much on the cards

Add defeat to Derby in the League Cup to that list and Blackburn at home too.

Bournemouth finished last season very strongly and finished just outside the top 6,  I'd take their "next season" form rather than Wigan's who made the playoffs and are now in the relegation zone.

Just shows that you can never tell what will happen from one season to the next