watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Sheffield fans reaction

Started by terryr, December 21, 2014, 11:16:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

terryr

"We played a decent side, on the up and in form, and got twatted. Even with hindsight, play with the formation, we would still, almost certainly, have got twatted. Imo. "

"Don't agree with that, Liam.
We absolutely paralysed Fulham first half and as usual did everything but score. We were agressive, confident, intelligent and penned them into their own half for much of the first half: certainly until they scored from a soft free kick, completely against the run of play. They'd looked shell shocked and repeatedly passed the ball into touch as we bossed them. Then we were back at 'em until the second goal, a free header from another soft free kick, killed us right on half time. We stood there amazed at the scoreline at half time, after such a good Wednesday away performance. Unbelievable, but we know that we can't score and today we didn't defend either free kick either.
Westwood cost us the crucial first goal through barmy positioning, being stood about three quarters of the way along his goal line. I was crying out to the mates before they took it, "He can't stand there. He can't stand there!" 'Dink'. Anything at all over the wall was a goal. A good parks player would have scored that. As usual he saved us a couple of times later on but that damage was done. I love the lad like we all do but his positioning for that was crackers.
The second half was much more 'normal': an open game where we threw on attackers and got caught on the break. One where they launched the perfect counter from our corner, I think, where we'd come so close to scoring ourselves. Just seconds later it was in our net. They might have had a pen from another breakaway from Wednesday pressure in their box and so it was no surprise when he did give them one later in similar circumstances.
Before that we'd had our own chances again and lots of good things, one or two of which I have to say ended with Nuhiu headers that were as good as clearances. Second half sub Drenthe always had two defenders for company, if not three and the excellent Helan got similar coverage. Maguire had a decent game and fired two cracking ground balls across their six yard box later on. McGugan looked good and Lee had a busy first half.
Very definitely not our day today and a big setback. Anyone who only sees the scoreline, which ended as a thrashing, will think that we were outplayed throughout. Country miles from the truth on this occasion, though that's of little consolation now. Oh, and the away atmosphere was superb: utter defiance. The more goals against, the more singing and bouncing. Louder and longer. Right to the end for many.
That's a ground where I've still not seen us win. One day!
We must not give opposition teams hope. We have to kill them. "

" All in all, we're a mid table Championship side. That's pretty good as far as things have gone over the last few years have gone. The problem is, we haven't got an owner that's going to push us on to the next level, which is fair enough. So we could ask Milan now, to do something fairly drastic and follow the Bradford City season ticket price model, for say 2 years. I've been there today, and there's a genuine feel good factor about the place. They started theirs a few years back, and currently a season ticket is priced at £150 ish anywhere in the ground. 12000 there today, with almost all being season ticket holders. My mate reckons there's a hardcore of 8-9000, thats a third added on with the price reductions. We could do something similar, on a bigger scale. £100 for a season ticket on the kop, £150 for the North or South, with add ons for younger fans -free for under 7's, couple of quid up to 16 etc... Fill the empty seats each week. Get the place buzzing, and (god knows) positive. Long term, get more young fans hooked, improved sponsorship, catering opportunities etc. See how it goes.
I get that money wise, we need quality players, and this wont help. But I can't see us doing anything other thant treading water for the forseeable future, getting excited at times, demanding whichever manager to be sacked the next, But IMO, filling the ground, geting a bit of a more positive feeling around the place, could do a lot more than spending 100 grand on a stop gap Premiership loan player. "

"  Another clean sheet against us then.
We can make any poo defence look good. "

" 11 shots off target, 1 on target. Fulham 4 on target 3 goals "

"  Unbelieveable! The ref fails to give a definite penalty against us Shock"

" Oh, there's the penalty now Grr"

" And Fulham go above us in the table GrrGrrGrr"
Wednesday do just enough to keep the fans from complaining too much (about the lack of quality and investment), but not enough to do anything anywhere near good enough to do well in this division. I predict - the window will open, not much will happen, the window will close, we will continue in the same vein."

" Ripped a new one "

" What a load of toss, that manager has over achieved with the budget he is handed. We're hardly gettin hammered every week are we, this is our SECOND away defeat of the season.
If you want to throw a hissy fit do so at the people who set the club's budget. "

" When are we going to give a team a spanking?
Could it be Blackpool on Boxing day? If we lose we might as well shut up shop"

"Probably Bournemouth away. So inconsistent"

"Fans have Deserved better for a long long long long time now.
We're a joke of a club. The only part I am proud of is the fans."

" Safe journey home to all who went. Deserve better"

"  Premier league supporters, that's a given."

" Bouncing right up to the final minutes. Awesome support today"

" Was there today and the support was immense. When they scored their third goal our fans reacted with the bounce song in full throttle. Proud of them and yes they deserve better than what they got served up"

"As Cambs says the atmosphere went up a notch after the 3rd went in."

"Fantastic support today and a shocking disjointed performance which was the result of SG tinkering.
Our two most dangerous players playing out wide.  Atdhe Nuhui who couldn't win or control the ball when he came on.
Maguire - well, just terrible today.
One poor bloke stood next to us who had come up from Australia to watch us - he'll be going again because of the party and not to watch that display that was fubarred from by everyone concerned except Jeremy Helan and Tom Lees.
MoM - the 4000 that belted out 'we're by far the greatest team the world has ever seen' after the 3rd went in."

" Great owls fans
Small ground but ok
Had most of play again but created nowt.
May not a look in up front alone first half.
Helan man of match. He was quality.
Westwood looked but pee'd off.
No way was it a 4 niller "

" I've just got home and still buzzing
We have the best fans in the world
And if you don't agree you can phook off "

" The moment their third went in will live with me forever.
The whole stand erupted into bouncing.
So proud"

" The supporters were outstanding yesterday.
One little criticism though, the players didn't deserve being applauded off yesterday"

" I left as soon as the final whistle went, and it's disappointing to hear that only 2 players came over and clapped the fans. Every single one of them should have come over and thanked the fans for the awesome support that they quite frankly didn't deserve "

" Every player clapped as they walked past. Westwood and Lees came and threw shirts, gloves etc. Into the fans "

" The morning after feeling a little delicate!!
Great day out, looked forward to it for months and it didn't disappoint (apart from the football!!)
From Yates at 0830 in Kings cross was buzzing, to Earl's Court after the game.
The bouncing DURING Fulhams third goal and how it carried on is something I'll remember for a long time. Fantastic support.
Lovely little ground and friendly locals just added to the day. First visit to The cottage and would definitely go back although I think they may make the playoffs on that form and won't be in same division next year!!"

"  Top day out
And yeah the bounce will live long in the memory
Hope they are in the same division as I can't wait to go there next season"

" I took a couple of non-Wednesday prem team supporters and they were absolutely dumb-founded by our support. They had a better time with us than their own"

"  It was hardly a bad atmosphere. He must've done something stupid.
Their stewards were OK actually especially the Roberto Di Matteo looky-likey! "

"We won't win enough games to keep us up this season if Gray stays as manager.
Never been as woeful as this going forward- and we have decent attacking players.
Time to go I'm afraid."

" Where to start? Well, I'll start by saying that I don't think we deserved to lose 4-0, but, frankly, we are just embarrassing. We never learn our lessons, and fundamentally, that's down to Stuart Gray.
Surely anyone with some football knowledge would have agreed that starting the game today with 4-5-1, and a lack of pace, was suicide. On the wings we had Helan, who played pretty well, and Maguire, who frankly, is just not up to scratch. I understand that Helan has a fair bit of pace, but I can't fathom why Maguire has started today, as the way Fulham play leaves them susceptable to the counter attack. Leaving out Drenthe was disgusting from Gray. And if you think about it, he's left out Drente to bring in Joe Mattock at left back. He seems to have love in for Mattock that's not quite natural.
Maguire just wasn't the player that we needed to play today. He is poor at running at opposition players, and is only really good for a decent cross, shot or giving the ball away.
Regarding the 4-5-1. I don't think it was definately the wrind formation, but needed to have the right players playing it. Stevie May was isolated, and Jose Semedo was Mr sideways as per usual, which is not how we shuld be approaching a team like Fulham who need to be got at with pace, seen as their defence is pretty fragile.
Our consistent attempts to eventually play the ball out wide in the final third, and then fire a ball across the box to nobody was literally useless all game. We barely ever looked like knocking one in. In contrast to this, in the second half, when we actually went down the middle for once, rather than knocking it wide, McGugan had a good shot that almost flew in - even if we were 3-0 down.
Nuihu also should never have come on as a sub. The guy is not dynamic. How can you expect him to have an impact? Lavery was the obvious choice.
The first 3 goals were so soft it's unbelievable, but i'm not going to slag the defence because they've been fantastic generally. I'm sure a clean sheet next time around is the first thing on the agenda for Loovens, who had a bad game today.
Overall. I think we should have started with Drenthe, in place of Maguire. Lee should never have been taken off - it should have been Semedo, and we need to learn our lessons. I'm fed up of watching the team try the same methods of knocking it wide and then putting a cross across, but to no avail...is anyone surprised? Second rate players are just a bit slow, and so too are second rate managers.
Note on the fans - you are all class. Well done, a credit to yourselves and to the city of Sheffield.
BTW, what is that striking coach, Deehan, actually doing at our club? We've never been so bad in the final third."

"Was there today.
I disagree on Maguire. He put in quite a shift today and never stopped trying. There were at least two occasions when he go to the byline and crossed only for there to be no-one in the box.
Nuhiu was a waste of time  - barely won headers and those he did seemed to be as a result of throwing himself at the ball with no thought as to where he wanted to send it.
Drenthe made a big difference and when he ran with the ball was a threat - but the support was not there for him. with overlaps etc.
Stevie May is not the striker to use in a single striker formation and I could see how difficult it was for him. Non the less there were occasions where the he didn't seem to attack the ball enough and get in on crosses.
I like Jose Semedo - but the midfield seemed to go backwards and sideways an awful lot - sometimes promising situations died out because of that. Perhaps we need that more dynamic player.
I don't know where the players would come from but we need a Carlton Palmer workhorse midfielder and a striker who can actually hold the ball up , turn and run.
I do not think 4:0 was a fair reflection of the game - but we need someone to stick the ball into the net when we do put crosses in.
Oh - and while we should have defended the 1st two goals better - I thought it was a great tackle - not a foul for the 2nd one - rose tinted glasses again I suppose. "

" Scott Parker ran the show... We just haven't got that quality....
Feel sorry for Steve may, I still think he'd score goals with the right service and players around him"

Burt

I thought 4-0 was a bit flattering... Still, I'm not complaining. Still deserved the 3 points.

Their man of the match was their #11 - pacey and tricky.

grandad

Seems all they were there for was bouncing up & down rather than watch their team being clinically destroyed. All our goals were a result of our pressure on their defence. None of them were "soft".
Where there's a will there's a wife

SP

Sounds like palace syndrome, obsessed with the cheer leading.  Personally, I'll stick to watching developments on the pitch rather than in the stands.

Putney

callumc513

Great fans yesterday, props to them!

Oakeshott

"Lovely little ground and friendly locals just added to the day"

I'd like to think that is how we are viewed generally. The Wednesday supporters seem a decent bunch, too.

Andy S

Well done to the Wednesday supporters but they fail to master the fact that it is goals that count. the rest of the play is of little consequence. I thought we matched them in the first half but really blew them away in the second. We could have had a few more goals as well

Berserker

Mind you most of us aren't local nowadays are we
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

CottagersOnTour

Quote from: Berserker on December 21, 2014, 05:35:36 PM
Mind you most of us aren't local nowadays are we

As we like to remind United supporters whenever they visited in the premier league.....

We support our local team

Thats the most important bit, doesn't matter where you live now ;)

Humbled

I liked their 17 (Jeremy Helan) played left mid then left back.