watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

They're having a heatwave

Started by CorkedHat, July 09, 2010, 03:03:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CorkedHat

"Hot weather forecast for parts of the country over the next few days has prompted the first health alert of the summer.
Highs of up to 31C (87.8F) are expected as temperatures peak across East Anglia and south-east England tomorrow and Saturday, said the Met Office. It warned that night-time temperatures were the biggest concern" – The Guardian

I love it – out here in the Bush we'd think 31C is fairly mild but 41C (105.8F) is quite warm but 45C (113F) is what we would call "HOT".
Time to get your knees brown, England. :dft003:

What we do for others will live on. What we do for ourselves will die with us

PaulUMD

It's been over 100F in Washington, DC the last few weeks.  Forgive me for not feeling sorry for you!

Lighthouse

Oh shoosh. We are just not into heat like you are. I looked out this morning and found things were growing across the path again. I only did it last week. Or was it the week before? Anyway the point is things should die through lack of water. Not here. Thorns and all sorts start to grow. I haven't seen rain for some time. Only a strange brown dust cloud yesterday. Giant moths have been attacking children in the street. It's all going off here you know.

I feel faint with the heat, must rest now. Daylight by 4.30 am. I hate Summer. Reached 25 ish yesterday.  :013:  :beer:  :clap_hands:
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

epsomraver

Having been" in the Bush" not that bush ffc! Back of Bourke!  the difference was Corkie that although 40 plus degrees you could still get on without sweat pumping out of everywhere, here it is going to be 29 c here but HUMID so every step and movement is a struggle, nobody can be arsed to do anything, "we are doomed I tell ya". The lake district has a hose pipe ban! what did gardeners do before hose pipes? they used a watering can! not the end of the world is it? or is it?

GoldCoastWhite

Conversely, I thought that the 3c we had a few mornings ago was a bit rude. Can't remember the last time is scraped frost off
of my windscreen - and hadn't missed it at all ! Battening down for gale force winds and fairly heavy rain tonight but a very mild 10c minimum. Aussie rules game at West Lakes could be interesting later this evening, and not for the faint hearted.  :029:

Logicalman

I'm with you there PaulUMD, been a little too warm for some in the mid-west as well, with the temps hovering around 95-98 and night-time dropping down to a cool 75-78, er that's 35-36.5 day and 24-25 at night for those in C.

The Equalizer

Quote from: Logicalman on July 09, 2010, 10:17:27 AM
I'm with you there PaulUMD, been a little too warm for some in the mid-west as well, with the temps hovering around 95-98 and night-time dropping down to a cool 75-78, er that's 35-36.5 day and 24-25 at night for those in C.

Thanks for translating.  :54:
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

CorkedHat

Quote from: GoldCoastWhite on July 09, 2010, 10:12:56 AM
Conversely, I thought that the 3c we had a few mornings ago was a bit rude. Can't remember the last time is scraped frost off
of my windscreen - and hadn't missed it at all ! Battening down for gale force winds and fairly heavy rain tonight but a very mild 10c minimum. Aussie rules game at West Lakes could be interesting later this evening, and not for the faint hearted.  :029:

Now I've told you before, GCW, we do not mention our winters to Poms or Septics. We have to lead them to believe that we bask in glorious sunshine 365 days a year snd thus we make no mention of days like today when it is colder than an Eskimo's arse on an ice floe.
I have just had a beer with Dusty the Shepherd and he told me that he had to scrape ice off the hay stack in order to give the sheep a feed, but like Basil and the War - we don't mention the winter. :007:

GoldCoastWhite

Quote from: CorkedHat on July 09, 2010, 10:53:24 AM
Quote from: GoldCoastWhite on July 09, 2010, 10:12:56 AM

Now I've told you before, GCW, we do not mention our winters to Poms or Septics. We have to lead them to believe that we bask in glorious sunshine 365 days a year snd thus we make no mention of days like today when it is colder than an Eskimo's arse on an ice floe.
I have just had a beer with Dusty the Shepherd and he told me that he had to scrape ice off the hay stack in order to give the sheep a feed, but like Basil and the War - we don't mention the winter. :007:

A thousand apologies Corkie - the producers of Neighbours and Home & Away will be furious !

Peabody

Now look e here you lot from foriegn climes, you are talking to people that had Captain Oates as their forbears, you know he who said "I am going out, I may be gone some time" in the middle of an Antartic blizzard and here's you Aussies whingeing about a bit of ice.

finnster01

As I recall it our own Mr Scott struggled quite a bit with the frost and forgot that the M1 does not go straight to the South Pole...
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

The Equalizer

Quote from: finnster01 on July 09, 2010, 12:33:54 PM
As I recall it our own Mr Scott struggled quite a bit with the frost and forgot that the M1 does not go straight to the South Pole...

Plus Ernie Shackleton had a spot of bother when he went sailing around the Solent and ended up beached on an ice drift.
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

CorkedHat

Quote from: finnster01 on July 09, 2010, 12:33:54 PM

We had a couple of explorers named Burke and Wills who wanted to traverse Australia from south to north travelling through the red centre. They managed to get lost and they died of thirst so it can even happen to Aust -  oh wait a minute. Burke was Irish and Wills was a Pom! :028:

Logicalman

I guess the Franklin Expedition should be mentioned in such company then, especially as they failed to take enough whiskey for all the ice they encountered.

And let's not forget they were the pioneers of Cryonics, though they forgot about the freezing prior to death bit.
At least the canned food put some lead in their pencils though!!!

The Equalizer

Bye crikey, it's 32 degrees out there in old London Town. There's only one way to tackle this heat on a friday night. BEER!  :beer:

NogoodBoyo

'"Hot enough to boil a monkey's bum, your majesty," I said.  She's a good sheelagh and not at all stuck up to boot.'  Hell, derisive laughter.  Whereupon we all launch into a heat-induced close harmony version of the Australian Philosophers' song...
Nogood
"Emmanuel Kant was a real piss-ant who was very rarely stable
Heidegger, Heidegger was a boozy beggar who could drink you under the table.
David Hume could out-consume Wilhelm Freidrich Hegel
And Wittgenstein was a beery swine who was just as schlossed as Schlegel,"
isit" Boyo