watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR: Santana and Winwood - the golden oldies still have it

Started by Logicalman, July 09, 2010, 10:46:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Logicalman

Sorry to interrupt the footie and weather discussions here chaps, but I had to impart some excellent news concerning a concert I attended this past Wednesday at the Verizon Music Center in Indianapolis.

It was headlined by Santana with a 'support' group of Steve Winwood.

For those that don't know who the latter is, he was one of the founding members of Blind Faith (t/w Clapton and Baker) back in 69, after leaving Traffic and the Spencer Davis Group. A very accomplished singer/writer and his on-stage performance, even at the ripe age of 62, was to be seen to be believed. His guitar work has not diminished in the 48+ years of his career and his vocals were just the same as when I first heard 'Had To Cry Today' as a (relative) youngster, haunting but clear. 60 minutes of this was the right amount and mixture to get us warmed up for the headliner.

Now, for those of you who don't know who Carlos Santana is, you definitely need to get out a little more, put away the Kleenex, get a life and join the ever-grateful music world in homage to one of the best stage performers you will ever get the pleasure to see, and hear.

Not only, at the age of 63 did he play the full 2 hours without a break, but the tempo of Santana's music would cause even the fittest of today's crop of musicians some concern as to their health. Playing in a balmy 90+ degree start, Carlos managed to woo the (somewhat aged) audience with all the classics, that including wonderful renditions of Sunshine Of Your Love, Oye Como Va and (a very extended) Evil Ways.  What Carlos cannot do with a guitar, you don't have to worry about, because it's unlikely anyone else could do either.

The general hum of aged bones cracking as the octogenarian audience attempted moves they hadn't done for 40 years, together with the warm smell of colitas rising up through the air (and not one copper to spoil the mood), provided a backdrop that had to be seen to be believed. It was a throwback to those 60's and 70's concerts and, although the ambiance didn't quite reach the same as the recent Eagles 'Long Road Out Of Eden' concert tour, it was definitely worth an act seeing before the mortal coil gets kicked off once and for good .. and at 30 bucks a ticket, well affordable and worth the price of a few pints of the good stuff.

Carlos Santana

Steve Winwood

GoldCoastWhite

Just a teeny weeny bit jealous LM. And I reckon if they brought those two downunder we'd be slugged considerably more
than $30.00 to enjoy the show. I'd be happy to fork out 3 times that but still don't think that's get me in the gate ! Glad you enjoyed it tho - you can't keep a class act down.

Lighthouse

We talk of true Legends here. Really appreciate the report Mr Logic Sir. As I was reading I began my tongue guitar rendition of ... still you don't want to know that. Have to say it, music meant something special when we first heard their stuff. Like The Eagles, it was music to lose yourself with. You couldn't do something else while it was playing in the background. It demands to be listened to and savoured.

Now back to my tongue guitar. Niwl niwl niwl niwl niwl niwl            niwl niwl      niwl niwl
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Ichabod Magoo

I still have the vinyl albums of Abraxas and Caravanserai.   :54:   :sir_roy:
If your nose runs and your feet smell, you must have been born upside down. ~ Chudley Rippington III

Logicalman

Quote from: Ichabod Magoo on July 09, 2010, 06:26:46 PM
I still have the vinyl albums of Abraxas and Caravanserai.   :54:   :sir_roy:

So do I    :011:

WhiteJC

last week I went to a couple of concerts, Hard Rock calling and Jackson Browne

Hard Rock calling had Elvis Costello, Crowded House, Crosby Stills & Nash and Paul McCartney headlining! awesome day/evening out and it also meant that I missed the England Germany game  :clap_hands:

Jackson Browne played the Albert Hall and performed a couple of sets. The first, around an hour long, was an acoustic set. The second set was with his band and lasted over two hours.
He's on tour until October, if he comes your way, go see him!

finnster01

Quote from: WhiteJC on July 10, 2010, 08:07:17 AM

Hard Rock calling had Elvis Costello, Crowded House, Crosby Stills & Nash and Paul McCartney headlining! awesome day/evening out and it also meant that I missed the England Germany game  :clap_hands:

Jackson Browne played the Albert Hall and performed a couple of sets. The first, around an hour long, was an acoustic set. The second set was with his band and lasted over two hours.
I would have liked to have seen both of those. Did Elvis do "I don't want to go to C-helsea"?
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

WhiteJC

Quote from: finnster01 on July 10, 2010, 10:50:06 AM
Quote from: WhiteJC on July 10, 2010, 08:07:17 AM

I would have liked to have seen both of those. Did Elvis do "I don't want to go to C-helsea"?

unfortunately no he didn't, he did an acoustic set, mainly his 'country' hits and songs like Alison

Logicalman

Quote from: WhiteJC on July 10, 2010, 11:24:56 AM
unfortunately no he didn't, he did an acoustic set, mainly his 'country' hits and songs like Alison

Interesting story about Costello and that first country album of his.

In the early 80's one of my sisters worked for Acton Travel, and they were one of the premier travel agents that booked the bands' tour accommodation. In any case, following Costello's recording of the Almost Blue album he went on another tour, and, having heard mention my like of his music, they gave my sister a copy of the album for me, sadly unsigned, which, as we all know, contained that great song, 'Good Year For The Roses'. I still have the album even today 30 years on and 3000 miles away.